ADVERTISEMENT

NOT live from Columbus but BTN is... PSUvs. OSU

Good press as the announcers in the pens flyers game talked about the Penn State hockey program playing for the big ten championship Saturday against ND.

Reactions: Nitwit and bdgan
I don't follow this closely but I saw that PSU was #16 in Pairwise. I wondered if beating OSU would jeep them in the top 16 even if the lose to ND.
There will be a few non-Top 16 conference champs that will claim a NCAA berth, so Top 13 or 14 is likely safe but 15 or 16 is surely out.

There will be a few non-Top 16 conference champs that will claim a NCAA berth, so Top 13 or 14 is likely safe but 15 or 16 is surely out.

ASU and the Atlantic Hockey champ means 15 and 16 are already out. Penn State is definitely in a win or stay home situation for sure.

ASU and the Atlantic Hockey champ means 15 and 16 are already out. Penn State is definitely in a win or stay home situation for sure.

ASU doesn't bump anyone. You are correct that 15 and 16 are out, but that's because of the Atlantic Hockey champ will take the 16th slot and the ND/PSU winner will take the 15th one (barring any other upsets).

I don't follow this closely but I saw that PSU was #16 in Pairwise. I wondered if beating OSU would jeep them in the top 16 even if the lose to ND.

Not enough. We lost our chance for an at-large when we didn't sweep Wisconsin two weeks ago.

ASU doesn't bump anyone. You are correct that 15 and 16 are out, but that's because of the Atlantic Hockey champ will take the 16th slot and the ND/PSU winner will take the 15th one (barring any other upsets).

Sure they do. If they were in any conference except AH they likely would not have such a good record.

Sure they do. If they were in any conference except AH they likely would not have such a good record.

The point is that they don't bump any team, who is otherwise qualified (i.e. Top 16), out of the pairwise That only happens when a team comes from outside the Pairwise top 16 to win a conference championship. ASU is already well inside the Top 16 (they are #10) and will stay there, so they have qualified for the NCAA. I suppose I should clarify my ND/PSU winner comment too. They technically won't bump the 15th seed out. PSU is currently 15th in the pairwise, ND is 16. The winner of the game will get an auto bid, but they could possibly move into the top 14. The loser will drop out of the top 16. If the winner winds up #14, it will still be possible for a 15 seed to get an at-large bid, but it will be impossible for the ND/PSU loser to be #15.

Last edited:

The point is that they don't bump any team, who is otherwise qualified (i.e. Top 16), out of the pairwise That only happens when a team comes from outside the Pairwise top 16 to win a conference championship. ASU is already well inside the Top 16 (they are #10) and will stay there, so they have qualified for the NCAA. I suppose I should clarify my ND/PSU winner comment too. They technically won't bump the 15th seed out. PSU is currently 15th in the pairwise, ND is 16. The winner of the game will get an auto bid, but they could possibly move into the top 14. The loser will drop out of the top 16. If the winner winds up #14, it will still be possible for a 15 seed to get an at-large bid, but it will be impossible for the ND/PSU loser to be #15.

The point that I was trying to make regarding the Big Ten Championships (from CHN's Bracket ABCs.)

"But beyond that, there's even less drama than normal. That's because there are only 14 teams remaining that can garner an at-large bid. That means if all the "upset" teams fail to win a league championship, we already know the precise 14 that will make it. (The other two spots will go to the champs of Atlantic Hockey and the Big Ten, we already know.)"

Reactions: PA_JOE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT