ADVERTISEMENT

Nominate the Best Covers of someone else's song!

I have always love the reggae version of The Beatles Don't Let Me down by Marcia Griffiths.
It ain't for everyone but if ya got soul, you will like it.

Johnny Cash cover of Hurt (Coldplay?)

Robert Downy jr cover of River ( Joni Mitchell )

CSNY cover of Woodstock (Joni Mitchell)

Reactions: psute
Where Have All The Flowers Gone by the Kingston Trio...originally Pete Seeger

Linda Ronstadt covered Desperado (Eagles), Tracks of My Tears (Smokey Robinson), Ooh Baby Baby (Smokey Robinson)
Leann Rimes covered Crazy and Blue (Patsy Cline)
Grand Funk covered Locomotion (written by Carole King and performed by Little Eva)
Jimi Hendrix covered All along the Watchtower (Bob Dylan).

Cheap Trick's cover of Fats Domino's "Ain't That a Shame" from Live at Budokan

Black Sabbath's version of "Warning" on their first album - a song originally done by Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation. Dunbar played drums for numerous bands and artists in addition to having his own band - John Mayalls Bluesbreakers was one of the bands he played in and he was the original drummer for Journey.

Also Blinded by the Light - cover of a Bruce Springsteen song by Manfred Mann.

Come Away Melinda I believe originally done by Harry Belafonte covered by Uriah Heep and UFO on their first albums.

Last edited:
The Byrds - covers of Mr. Tambourine Man, All I Really Want to Do, My Back Pages

Manfred Mann - cover of Blinded by the Light (way superior to Bruce's)

Jason and the Scorchers - incendiary cover of Dylan's Absolutely Sweet Marie

Devo - Satisfaction (very quirky and catchy - almost like its a backwards version)

Led Zep's almost entire early output.

Best extended Sample type of Cover - NWA' Express Yourself (from the Staple Sisters). I could listen to that song for the rest of my life.

Last edited:
Reactions: LRob
The Byrds - covers of Mr. Tambourine Man, All I Really Want to Do, My Back Pages

Manfred Mann - cover of Blinded by the Light (way superior to Bruce's)

Jason and the Scorchers - incendiary cover of Dylan's Absolutely Sweet Marie

Devo - Satisfaction (very quirky and catchy - almost like its a backwards version)

Led Zep's almost entire early output.

Yes like the Devo version of Satisfaction.

Alien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal. Hilarious video

Ryan Adams - Wonderwall

And at 31 min of the attached link to one of the best cheesy movies of all time - Hot Dog, the Movie, Mitch Ryder's cover of Prince's When You Were Mine.

Harkin Banks was almost my Board Name.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
A couple of songs the band I was in played. Basically covers of covers. I Wish You Would - the David Bowie version of the Billy Boy Arnold song also covered by the Yardbirds. The Jam's version of Midnight Hour the old Otis Redding tune.

Reactions: LRob
I have seen many many bands over the years and still seek out live music at every opportunity. Two moments that come to mind are:

This past Friday evening at the Mann Music Center, we saw Diana Krall with the Philadelphia symphony orchestra and a jazz combo backing her. She just killed it on Operator by Jim Croce. People were wiping away tears.

The last New Years eve show for Levon Helm at his barn ( PSU beat LSU the next day at the Citrus Bowl I believe ) the band and evening were just rocking magic. Late in the show, Amy Helm, Larry Campbell and Teresa Williams did an a Capella version of the Grateful Dead's Attics of my Life. I still have goose bumps.

Give a listen to Soulive performing Elanor Rigby ( or Jerry Garcia or anyone else for that matter ) and I want you (She's so Heavy) by the Beatles. It's out on YouTube, stellar.

The Jazz world is full of great covers. FULL.

I saw CSNY do Eight Miles High around 2005, sick.

I could go on and on. You get the point. Lots of talent out there doing complete albums, a couple of years ago we saw Joan Osborne at the Mann with rock quartet and Philly Orchestra cover the Beatles entire album Abbey Road.

BTW, Hard to Handle is an Otis Redding song produced by Steve Cropper and covered by many many bands/ performers including Maye West in Myra Breckenridge, going to have to watch that one snowy afternoon this winter.

R.E.M. - Superman (the Clique)
K.D. Lang - Hallelujah
The Bangles - Hazy Shade of Winter (Simon & Gardunkel)
Sinead O'Conner - Nothing Compares 2U (Prince)
Run DMC - Walk This Way (Aerosmith)
And of course...Bill Murray - Star Wars theme (John Williams)

Johnny Cash cover of Hurt (Coldplay?)

Robert Downy jr cover of River ( Joni Mitchell )

CSNY cover of Woodstock (Joni Mitchell)

Nine inch nails, not coldplay. Trent Reznor said he will never do that song again because he was so floored by Cash's version.

The Hendrix cover of All Along the Watchtower has got to be one of the best. I also like Earth Wind and Fire's cover of Got to Get you Into My Life and Springsteen's cover of Jersey Girl.

John Mayer's cover of Free Fallin' (Tom Petty)

Robert Plant's cover of If I Were A Carpenter (Tim Hardin)

Keb' Mo' cover of The Times They Are A-Changin' (Dylan)

Jeff Healey Band's cover of All Along The Watchtower (Dylan). Okay, not as good the Hendrix version but it is something different, and damn good in it's own right.

Reactions: Mixolydian
Foo Fighters - Darling Nikki (Prince)

Pearl Jam - Rocking in the Free World (Neil Young)

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold the World (David Bowie)

Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower (Bob Dylan); Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Beatles); Star Spangled Banner (some old drinking song)

Greatest ever

Spencer Davis group covering the Jordan Bros cover of 'Gimmie some lovin'', which Steve Winwodd of SDG had written, but the Jordan Bros had arranged into what we now know as 'Gimmie some lovin', SDG liked the Jordan Bros version better, and took it back!! You can look it up!!

Last edited:
Yes! That Pearl Jam/Neil Young Rockin' in the Free World on MTV music awards was awesome!

I like some Boyce Avenue covers, if you never listened, check it out....talented guys

Foo Fighters - Darling Nikki (Prince)

Pearl Jam - Rocking in the Free World (Neil Young)

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold the World (David Bowie)

Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower (Bob Dylan); Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Beatles); Star Spangled Banner (some old drinking song)

I love some of the modern (well, 40+ years old, now) takes on the traditional/folk stuff.
Ram Jam - Black Betty
Traffic - John Barleycorn
Whiskey in the Jar - Thin Lizzy

Also, Humble Pie does an amazing cover of the Yardbirds' For Your Love.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT