ADVERTISEMENT

Nominate the Best Covers of someone else's song!

You're on a roll! Ann Wilson killed it! Robert Plant had a tear in his eye. I've watched this vid at least five times.

OK, maybe I am pushing my luck here, but here's one more.... Pavement covering one of my favorite songs ever... Killing Moon by Echo & the Bunnymen. I saw Pavement do this one at the Trocadero in Philly, many 'moons' ago.

OK, maybe I am pushing my luck here, but here's one more.... Pavement covering one of my favorite songs ever... Killing Moon by Echo & the Bunnymen. I saw Pavement do this one at the Trocadero in Philly, many 'moons' ago.

Wow, thanks for that. I've never heard that version before.
The Killing Moon is one of my all time favorite albums.

Reactions: #OneTeam#NextLevel

I liked the song. I know of both bands, but am not well acquainted with their music. I'm all ears though and am open to and appreciate an eclectic mix of music. Thanks.

BBrown - I think we'd get along pretty well! They were so damn good for a few years there..... Ian McCulloch's solo stuff (at least the first one) wasn't so bad either!

LOL, we probably would but I even like McCullochs solo stuff.
It was in Midnight's 80's band thread (awesome thread by the way) where I
said I went to see The Cure and Echo and the Bunnymen in NYC. I went in a Cure fan
and came out and Echo Fan. Just awesome stuff.

The Byrds - covers of Mr. Tambourine Man, All I Really Want to Do, My Back Pages

Manfred Mann - cover of Blinded by the Light (way superior to Bruce's)

Jason and the Scorchers - incendiary cover of Dylan's Absolutely Sweet Marie

Devo - Satisfaction (very quirky and catchy - almost like its a backwards version)

Led Zep's almost entire early output.

Best extended Sample type of Cover - NWA' Express Yourself (from the Staple Sisters). I could listen to that song for the rest of my life.
Express Yourself was Charles Wright and the Watts 103rd street band. Great song that went up to #3 on R&B charts and #12 on Pop charts in 1970. Loved NWA's sample/cover also.

Okay so I just read that Charles Wright was allegedly Eazy E's uncle (Eric Wright), but tracked down an interview with Charles Wright and he denied it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Express Yourself was Charles Wright and the Watts 103rd street band. Great song that went up to #3 on R&B charts and #12 on Pop charts in 1970. Loved NWA's sample/cover also.
That's right - I just heard the original on Sirius - great song. Thanks for the reminder

Mose Allison - Young Man Blues

The Who - Young Man Blues (album)

The Who - Young Man Blues (Live at Isle of Wight)

A couple of songs the band I was in played. Basically covers of covers. I Wish You Would - the David Bowie version of the Billy Boy Arnold song also covered by the Yardbirds. The Jam's version of Midnight Hour the old Otis Redding tune.
I'm sure you meant Wilson Pickett for Midnight Hour.

I liked the song. I know of both bands, but am not well acquainted with their music. I'm all ears though and am open to and appreciate an eclectic mix of music. Thanks.

OK... two recommendations. First listen to Echo & the Bunnymen's album "Songs to Learn & Sing". It has two of their best songs: The Killing Moon and Bring On The Dancing Horses. I'd also recommend listening to their album "Ocean Rain", which has the awesome title track and another great one called "My Kingdom". Then, for Pavement, they have one of the most regarded and highly rated Alternative albums of all time in "Slanted & Enchanted". Pavement have a very unique sound; almost out of key at times (on purpose), but somehow it works (at least for me). The album is often ranked in the top 25 of the 90's. If you like that one, also check out "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain", which has some poppy tunes on it (most notably 'Cut Your Hair'). I would be shocked if you didn't really like Echo & the Bunnymen. I wouldn't be shocked if Pavement wasn't your deal. One song you would like by their lead singer - Stephen Malkmus is "Jenny & The Ess-Dog", which I have hooked MANY people on over the years. Enjoy sir!!

if you have Spotify, I made a playlist for you:
https://open.spotify.com/user/1215532745/playlist/0h1yfs7OaPp4KydaQeiTVG

Last edited:
Janis Joplin's cover of Roger Miller's county hit recording of Kris Kristofferson's "Me and Bobby McGee".

Kristofferson's performing it in 1970

Miller's country hit in 1969

Joplin's cover (released after her death in 1971)

Reactions: Brian LB-U
OK... two recommendations. First listen to Echo & the Bunnymen's album "Songs to Learn & Sing". It has two of their best songs: The Killing Moon and Bring On The Dancing Horses. I'd also recommend listening to their album "Ocean Rain", which has the awesome title track and another great one called "My Kingdom". Then, for Pavement, they have one of the most regarded and highly rated Alternative albums of all time in "Slanted & Enchanted". Pavement have a very unique sound; almost out of key at times (on purpose), but somehow it works (at least for me). The album is often ranked in the top 25 of the 90's. If you like that one, also check out "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain", which has some poppy tunes on it (most notably 'Cut Your Hair'). I would be shocked if you didn't really like Echo & the Bunnymen. I wouldn't be shocked if Pavement wasn't your deal. One song you would like by their lead singer - Stephen Malkmus is "Jenny & The Ess-Dog", which I have hooked MANY people on over the years. Enjoy sir!!

if you have Spotify, I made a playlist for you:
https://open.spotify.com/user/1215532745/playlist/0h1yfs7OaPp4KydaQeiTVG
I have a listening project for the weekend!

Reactions: #OneTeam#NextLevel
Greatest ever

Spencer Davis group covering the Jordan Bros cover of 'Gimmie some lovin'', which Steve Winwodd of SDG had written, but the Jordan Bros had arranged into what we now know as 'Gimmie some lovin', SDG liked the Jordan Bros version better, and took it back!! You can look it up!!

Awesome ! The Jordan Brothers....from Frackville, PA. One of the them (I think Frank) DJ'd my wedding in '94.

Frank Black is the writer. He is a member of the Pixies.

When you look for a song on iTunes, in a record store or anywhere else, you find that song by the artist or band who performed it, not by who wrote it. That's the only reason I pointed this out, in case someone liked the Bowie cover and wanted to hear the original.

In any case, Frank Black did not exist when Cactus was written. He was still known as Black Francis then.

In no particular order...

Take Me Home Country Roads...Jason & The Scorchers (Bob Denver)
Ruby Don't Take Your Love....Jason & The Scorchers (Mel Tillis)
It's All Over Now Baby Blue....Hole (Bob Dylan via The Chocolate Watchband's arrangement)
Big Log....Viktor & Allison Krauss (Robert Plant)
Anything by Me First & The Gimme Gmmes...just Google them!
Marie's the Name....Scorpions (Elvis Presley)
Raspberry Beret....The Derailers (Prince)
Gin & Juice...The Gourds (Snoop Dogg)
Hotel California...Gipsy Kings (The Eagles)
The Girl Can't Help It...Babes In Toyland (Little Richard)
I Fought The Law...The Clash (Bobby Fuller Four)
Storms....Best Coast (Fleetwood Mac)
Diamonds & Rust...Judas Priest (Joan Baez)
The Green Manalishi...Judas Priest (Fleetwood Mac)
Surrender...Velvet Revolver (Cheap Trick)
Pills...New York Dolls (Bo Diddley)
Strutter...The Donnas (KISS)
Stupid Girl...Ellen Foley (Rolling Stones)
Seven Bridges Road...The Eagles (Steve Young)
You're So Vain...Faster Pussycat (Carly Simon)
A Quick One While He's Away...Green Day (The Who)
Summertime Blues....The Who (Eddie Cochran)
Up Around The Bend....Hanoi Rocks (Creedence Clearwater Revival)
Mona Lisas & Mad Hatters...Heart (Elton John)
Rehab...The Jolly Boys (Amy Winehouse)
Valerie...Amy Winehouse (The Zutons)

and last but not least...

Stairway To Gilligan's Island....Little Roger & The Goosbumps!

...I could keep on going..

Here are two greats from the C/W side of the aisle...the great Conway Twitty shredding the iconic Terry Fell song. Then I had to include Alan Jackson's tribute to George on "He Stopped Loving Her Today."

As this thread has become really long, I don't know if these were mentioned:

Black Magic Woman - Santana cover of a Fleetwood Mac song (written by Peter Green)

Green Manalishi - Judas Priest cover of a Fleetwood Mac song (written by Peter Green)

I actually like the Fleetwood Mac versions better. Oh Well (pun intended if anyone gets it)!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT