ADVERTISEMENT

No.'s 2, 3, 4, and 5

So is wrestleby pirates the end all of all rankings. Iowa's toughest test was #7 Minnesota, #10 Nebraska is the only other top-10. Meanwhile Michigan, tOSU and PSU have staged a round robin.

Anyone with common sense would recognize there is something askew with the Pirate's algorithm.

Trying to "prove" Iowa .hasn't had a relatively weak schedule by using these outdated numbers is like trying to put lipstick on a pig.
I didn’t create the formula, it was the only SOS I could find. Obviously you don’t agree with it. How about some guesses. I will go first.

Lee TF Mattin IA 5-0
Micic dec Desanto IA 5-3
Murin dec Storr IA 8-3
Lugo dec Amine IA 11-3
Pantaleo dec Young IA 11-6
Marinelli dec Massa IA 14-6
Amine maj Bowman IA 14-10
Wilcke dec Embree IA 17-10
Warner maj Striggow IA 21-10
Stoll dec Parris IA 24-10

Lee TF Heinselman IA 5-0
Desanto dec Pletcher IA 8-0
McKenna maj Murin IA 8-4
Jordan dec Lugo IA 8-7
Young dec Hayes IA 11-7
Marinelli maj Campbell IA 15-7
Smith dec Bowman IA 15-10
Martin maj Wilcke IA 15-14
Moore dec Warner tOSU 17-15
Stoll dec Singletary IA 18-17

I don’t know if you can put much into these strength of schedule numbers...I don’t buy Nolf’s SOS number, hasn’t he gone up against like 6 or7/top10 guys?
I thought as much. Nolf wrestled Berger, Deakin, Pants, Hartman, Hayes, Pagdilao, and Humphreys. The only guy in the top seven (using WrestleStat’s rankings) that Nolf hasn’t wrestled is Hidlay.

(Edit: I missed jack66’s post - #40. I made the same point he did, though not as well.)

Last edited:
Read further up in the post. They are strength of schedule from wrestlebypirates rankings. It was said Iowa was hard to gauge because they had a weak schedule. I wanted to compare to the other top teams.

Wait, was Rutgers in the top ten when the sos came out?

Reactions: danoftw
I didn’t create the formula, it was the only SOS I could find. Obviously you don’t agree with it. How about some guesses. I will go first.

Lee TF Mattin IA 5-0
Micic dec Desanto IA 5-3
Murin dec Storr IA 8-3
Lugo dec Amine IA 11-3
Pantaleo dec Young IA 11-6
Marinelli dec Massa IA 14-6
Amine maj Bowman IA 14-10
Wilcke dec Embree IA 17-10
Warner maj Striggow IA 21-10
Stoll dec Parris IA 24-10

Lee TF Heinselman IA 5-0
Desanto dec Pletcher IA 8-0
McKenna maj Murin IA 8-4
Jordan dec Lugo IA 8-7
Young dec Hayes IA 11-7
Marinelli maj Campbell IA 15-7
Smith dec Bowman IA 15-10
Martin maj Wilcke IA 15-14
Moore dec Warner tOSU 17-15
Stoll dec Singletary IA 18-17

Okay, just a guess

Lee pin Schnupp IA 6-0
RBY dec DeSanto IA 5-3 (team point deduction from Iowa)
Lee Maj Murin PSU 7-5
Lugo dec Verk IA 8-7
Nolf Tech Young PSU 12-8
Joseph dec Marinelli PSU 15-8
Hall maj Bowman PSU 19-8
Shack dec Wilcke PSU 22-8
Bo pin Warner PSU 28-8
Cassar maj Costello PSU 32-8 (Stoll ducks)

At least no one would be saying they had a weak schedule if the Hawks had shown up for their reciprocal.

Okay, just a guess

Lee pin Schnupp IA 6-0
RBY dec DeSanto IA 5-3 (team point deduction from Iowa)
Lee Maj Murin PSU 7-5
Lugo dec Verk IA 8-7
Nolf Tech Young PSU 12-8
Joseph dec Marinelli PSU 15-8
Hall maj Bowman PSU 19-8
Shack dec Wilcke PSU 22-8
Bo pin Warner PSU 28-8
Cassar maj Costello PSU 32-8 (Stoll ducks)

At least no one would be saying they had a weak schedule if the Hawks had shown up for their reciprocal.
No doubt PSU would beat Iowa. Best case for Iowa would be Lee fall, Desanto dec, Lugo dec, and Marinelli dec. Iowa has <1% chance at 157, 174, and 197. Give Murin <5% chance against Lee, Wilcke a 10% chance at beating Rasheed and Stoll would have to pin Cassar to beat him, very unlikely. How would you predict Iowa against tOSU and Michigan?

Gotcha. Personally I don’t think Lugo, Warner Stoll score near that amount, but if you’re right that’s the path for Iowa
Lugo is an unknown. One of the weaker weight classes. 2 losses to Kolodzik and lost 3-1 to Ashnault in SV but also has losses to Rohlfing and Degen. Same with Warner, he hasn’t done anything too impressive but 197 is weak as well. Best win over Miklus, solid win over Hokit from Fresno. Stoll just depends on how much he has in the tank for 3 days. These numbers are probably best case scenario.

Lugo is an unknown. One of the weaker weight classes. 2 losses to Kolodzik and lost 3-1 to Ashnault in SV but also has losses to Rohlfing and Degen. Same with Warner, he hasn’t done anything too impressive but 197 is weak as well. Best win over Miklus, solid win over Hokit from Fresno. Stoll just depends on how much he has in the tank for 3 days. These numbers are probably best case scenario.

The killer for you guys is Stolls health. If he were 100% he’s top 5, but in his current state it’s a ?? Counting on 9 points for Lugo would be like us counting on 9 from Berge..possible but not probable. You may be right about Warner the more I think about it. After Bo, there’s a big dip to get to Moore and after him who the heck knows. I just haven’t been impressed with Warner, but I really haven’t been impressed with any of the other 197s

The reason I had tOSU at 2nd is because they have 1 probable champ and 3 others that are likely top 3. Iowa only has two top 3 guys IMO and now with the way Rivera has looked and Lee not looking like himself you may not have a champ and that’s hard to overcome.

We’ll see in a month..good luck

The killer for you guys is Stolls health. If he were 100% he’s top 5, but in his current state it’s a ?? Counting on 9 points for Lugo would be like us counting on 9 from Berge..possible but not probable. You may be right about Warner the more I think about it. After Bo, there’s a big dip to get to Moore and after him who the heck knows. I just haven’t been impressed with Warner, but I really haven’t been impressed with any of the other 197s

The reason I had tOSU at 2nd is because they have 1 probable champ and 3 others that are likely top 3. Iowa only has two top 3 guys IMO and now with the way Rivera has looked and Lee not looking like himself you may not have a champ and that’s hard to overcome.

We’ll see in a month..good luck
We will need it! I really hope Lee wrestles Picc on Feb 24. If he can beat him and look like his old self I will have more confidence going into Big 10s and NCAAs that he can repeat. If he doesn’t wrestle or loses then a repeat could be less likely.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu and pish69
I thought as much. Nolf wrestled Berger, Deakin, Pants, Hartman, Hayes, Pagdilao, and Humphreys. The only guy in the top seven (using WrestleStat’s rankings) that Nolf hasn’t wrestled is Hidlay.

(Edit: I missed jack66’s post - #40. I made the same point he did, though not as well.)

Don;t know the formula SHP uses but his SOS is probably an average of all matches wrestled by each wrestler. Keystone Classic would significantly hurt the SOS ranking without actually making the schedule easier as Nolf, etal would still have wrestled a number of top wrestlers. Just looking at Iowas's dual schedule their BIG schedule is much easier than ours and their toughest OOC dual so far is Lehigh, who we also wrestled, although they were missing half their lineup.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT