ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Surinao and V. Joseph did not compete in US Open.. Why?

tabenn

Feb 13, 2017
Lock Haven PA
This may have been talked about on this board, But I did not see it. Im just wondering why these guys did not wrestle at the open.....anyone have any onfo?????

I don't have an answer..but could it be as simple as they don't like freestyle? Or in Cenzo's case, just want a break?

Personally as a fan, I watch it as it's another opportunity to watch wrestling, but I enjoy watching folkstyle more. The rules are easier to understand and I enjoy mat wrestling.

I love watching all PSU guys compete but I'm more concerned how they do with a PSU singlet on

More like 9 weeks. Still, it's kinda silly to be bewildered about Nick.

Cenzo wrestled in juniors last season. His performance stirred a ton of posts on his potential.
I have no idea why he did not compete.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
I never heard officially the extent of the injury.
Yes, Suriano broke a bone in his foot. I had thought you meant Nick Nevills, getting the Nicks confused. I haven't seen NN do a lot of FS, although he's been recovering from injuries in the past couple of off-seasons and that could be a major factor.

Somewhat related, Pyles and Willie had a short discussion about Nick Lee and his competition weight. It was all fairly open ended but some speculation on the Penn State coaching staff dictating to him where he would wrestle internationally.

That would be odd. The staff has expectations of each athlete, but rarely has there been mention of staff directives concerning competitive weights.

Somewhat related, Pyles and Willie had a short discussion about Nick Lee and his competition weight. It was all fairly open ended but some speculation on the Penn State coaching staff dictating to him where he would wrestle internationally.
Well if they're dictating that he goes 61 rather than 65 in senior level tournament, then he owes them a thank you

Soriano wrestling
Yes, Suriano broke a bone in his foot. I had thought you meant Nick Nevills, getting the Nicks confused. I haven't seen NN do a lot of FS, although he's been recovering from injuries in the past couple of off-seasons and that could be a major factor.

I had not seen anything confirming that Suriano had a broken bone vice a bad ankle sprain, only rumors and speculation. Was the injury (break verses sprain) ever truly confirmed?

Soriano wrestling

I had not seen anything confirming that Suriano had a broken bone vice a bad ankle sprain, only rumors and speculation. Was the injury (break verses sprain) ever truly confirmed?
I guess I felt that was pretty much confirmation. If it wasn't, I stand corrected. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong!

We also didn't see IMar, Massa, or either Valencia at the Open, either. I believe all of those guys also plan on continuing to wrestle FS. Some guys just need or want a break after a long NCAA season.

We also didn't see IMar, Massa, or either Valencia at the Open, either. I believe all of those guys also plan on continuing to wrestle FS. Some guys just need or want a break after a long NCAA season.
We did see Anthony Valencia, he came close to beating Dieringer on the front side, got pinned by him in consis.

So Nick's dad said it was a break. Thanks for the post.

Yes, thank you. I had not seen that post with info from Suriano's father. I distinctly recall that Sanderson initially said the injury was a sprain, and we all ran with that info (e.g., lengthy threads about recovery from ankles sprains). Don't know whether Sanderson's statement was an honest mistake due to limited info at the time or was intentional misinformation. Doesn't really matter, but would be curious to know.

Yes, thank you. I had not seen that post with info from Suriano's father. I distinctly recall that Sanderson initially said the injury was a sprain, and we all ran with that info (e.g., lengthy threads about recovery from ankles sprains). Don't know whether Sanderson's statement was an honest mistake due to limited info at the time or was intentional misinformation. Doesn't really matter, but would be curious to know.
My recollection is a little foggy, but I think they re-xrayed the ankle just prior to NCAA's and saw something like a hairline fracture. That was my understanding of why there was the late pull-out.

So Nick's dad said it was a break. Thanks for the post.

I don't think cael ever categorized the injury. Just gave coach speak about him being good to go.

I don't think cael ever categorized the injury. Just gave coach speak about him being good to go.

Incorrect; see links below.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports/wrestling/article_f01a0e58-f8bc-11e6-b218-4b9a98209c55.html

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...s_nick_suriano_injured_but_keeping_off_t.html

Now that I read these articles again, it seems that Sanderson initially thought the injury was a sprain, then probably found out a day or two later (after further medical evaluation) it was a fracture. From that point on, coach just called it an "injury".

Last edited:
My recollection is a little foggy, but I think they re-xrayed the ankle just prior to NCAA's and saw something like a hairline fracture. That was my understanding of why there was the late pull-out.
On Wednesday the day before he was still unable to push off that leg and they made the decision.

Reactions: tomsc
On Wednesday the day before he was still unable to push off that leg and they made the decision.

How is that possible? spyker assured us that Nick was 100% healthy and ready to go and since he saw him every day in the room of course we know that HAS to be true. :rolleyes:

Sorry, couldn't help myself on this one. :D

How is that possible? spyker assured us that Nick was 100% healthy and ready to go and since he saw him every day in the room of course we know that HAS to be true. :rolleyes:

Sorry, couldn't help myself on this one. :D
Plus others have assured us adamantly that Cael does not engage in coach-speak.

Plus others have assured us adamantly that Cael does not engage in coach-speak.
Yeah. That one always cracks me up. You get him in a one on one conversation with no possibility of being overheard and he is very engaging and candid.
In the public forum he can coach speak very well.

Reactions: lockhavenlion3
Nick Nevills needs to get into the freestyle soon and soon....It will only help him become a National Champion....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT