ADVERTISEMENT

Bo Bassett

Mark Hall was a 16 year old freshman in high school. I don't know why people make such a big deal out of this, it's not uncommon.
Taking a deeper look today many of the greats were 19 when they graduated HS. This isn’t brought up unless something good is accomplished by them. Perry wins a State title and people complain that he is older. Forest wins as a frosh in HS over college kids & his age is brought up. I remember in my area when Conner Harer was dominating his freshmen year that is what people were saying. It’s sad people can’t just give compliments but have to talk down. When Waters & Harer will win AA states this year and there will be someone who says that is because they are 16. Looking big picture- Ohio, Jersey and Pa it’s uncommon to be a top wrestler and not be 18 or 19 as a senior. The 17 yr old senior doesn’t happen much any more.

Mark Hall was a 16 year old freshman in high school. I don't know why people make such a big deal out of this, it's not uncommon.
Not making a bid deal - no judgement, just the perspective of one who was a 17 year old PSU freshman that had two years of PSU and a Naval ROTC summer deployment on a guided missile cruiser by the time those guys were seniors in HS, that is all.

Maybe worth noting that a 16 year old winning U17 world gold gained no advantage for being old for his school grade.
Wasn’t Basset 14 when he won? I think the kid from Illinois and forest were 15. Then somehow people will paint the picture they had some advantage.

Levi is uncommon. He is really young for his grade.

Reactions: mcpat
It would probably be wise for Spencer to sit out the Penn State dual. ;)
His match with Steen will look a lot like his only other match this season if it happens, but I doubt the gas tank will be as empty. Still, that match was worrisome on many levels

I like Knox better than all the aforementioned. Constantly adds to his game and the best folkstyler of the bunch.

I like Knox better than all the aforementioned. Constantly adds to his game and the best folkstyler of the bunch.
He’s very good but definitely don’t think he’s the best folkstyler. Jax has proven to be the best rider and turner of the bunch. Knox would be 5th or 6th for me behind Jax, Lilledahl, Duke, Barr and right there with Sealey and Davino

He’s very good but definitely don’t think he’s the best folkstyler. Jax has proven to be the best rider and turner of the bunch. Knox would be 5th or 6th for me behind Jax, Lilledahl, Duke, Barr and right there with Sealey and Davino

He’s a better turner then all of those except Jax.

Lilledahl is definitely figuring out folk and Duke is an alien. Knox gets bonus pints for chasing challenges though. He loves competing and you can tell he loves training.

Reactions: zzs006
He's not "done"...but I think it's important he get some matches in January. That's me, many disagree...
I’d wager we see Lee at the soldier salute. Let’s not forget that he’s coming back from double acl surgery with very limited mat time. I’d pump the brakes before saying his gassing is psychological. That’s a bit much.

He’s cutting weight this year for the first time in a very long time. It’s gonna take some time to figure it out. He’s gassed early season nearly every year and he wasn’t coming back from what’s he’s currently going through. Pat Glory and the kid from army come to mind. Both of those were big first period leads with him holding onto a major at the end.

Reactions: 1AA and Psugo823
Spencer needs more matches, to get ready for what? Face it, the weight class is currently a cake walk. Sorry gents even with two 80% knees, and a 2-period gas tank, I don't see Glory beating him, and the drop off behind Glory is a big one. If Suriano were still kicking around, or Vito, RBY or Fix dropped down we 'might' have a conversation, but I don't even like a skinnied down RBY's chances. Spencer's only legitimate contender between now and March is Mr. Injury.

lol and why’s it so light…… 🤔 the ol’ chicken/egg coming to the surface…. what do they wrestle internationally again?

I’d wager we see Lee at the soldier salute. Let’s not forget that he’s coming back from double acl surgery with very limited mat time. I’d pump the brakes before saying his gassing is psychological. That’s a bit much.

He’s cutting weight this year for the first time in a very long time. It’s gonna take some time to figure it out. He’s gassed early season nearly every year and he wasn’t coming back from what’s he’s currently going through. Pat Glory and the kid from army come to mind. Both of those were big first period leads with him holding onto a major at the end.
I think you are misinterpreting me about the word "psychological". I don't mean he has a head problem, but when a wrestler has not seen the mat in so long , the inherent habit if breathing properly and budget of your inhale exhale system can break down...this is what happened to Andrew Alton and I saw deja vu when Spencer gassed after just 2 minutes against a back up...it's actually not even relevant who you are going up against when it happens and thats what I saw. Hey, maybe it's just an over reaction on my part and I hope like he'll I'm wrong. I want Penn State winning fair and square against a fully loaded Iowa and I don't want any wrestler to go through what Alton went through...even on these boards it's like an almost taboo topic because it was so Heartbreaking to watch...Alton was a straight up All American caliber wrestler who simply went through the wrestling equivalent of "Steve Blass disease" when a highly unusual, kind of freak thing just derails your career.

Reactions: District four
I think you are misinterpreting me about the word "psychological". I don't mean he has a head problem, but when a wrestler has not seen the mat in so long , the inherent habit if breathing properly and budget of your inhale exhale system can break down...this is what happened to Andrew Alton and I saw deja vu when Spencer gassed after just 2 minutes against a back up...it's actually not even relevant who you are going up against when it happens and thats what I saw. Hey, maybe it's just an over reaction on my part and I hope like he'll I'm wrong. I want Penn State winning fair and square against a fully loaded Iowa and I don't want any wrestler to go through what Alton went through...even on these boards it's like an almost taboo topic because it was so Heartbreaking to watch...Alton was a straight up All American caliber wrestler who simply went through the wrestling equivalent of "Steve Blass disease" when a highly unusual, kind of freak thing just derails your career.
I genuinely think you are wrong. It has more to do with his mat time and him actually having to cut some weight. I’m fairly close to this situation and know what he’s been going through and has gone through in the past. Which is why I was so hard on you when you posted on Hr that we was done. He’ll be just fine. It’s baby steps this early in the season for him. No one expected peak Spencer against Isu, but his bar is so damn high that when we see a crack in his armour some people freak out.

Like I said, I think we’ll see him a few times this week. I’m amazed he was cleared before the Penn dual. It just goes to show what an absolute freak he is.

Moral of the story, if there’s one dude I had to pick to not worry about on or off the mat it would be him. He’s special all the way around.

Reactions: Psugo823
I genuinely think you are wrong. It has more to do with his mat time and him actually having to cut some weight. I’m fairly close to this situation and know what he’s been going through and has gone through in the past. Which is why I was so hard on you when you posted on Hr that we was done. He’ll be just fine. It’s baby steps this early in the season for him. No one expected peak Spencer against Isu, but his bar is so damn high that when we see a crack in his armour some people freak out.

Like I said, I think we’ll see him a few times this week. I’m amazed he was cleared before the Penn dual. It just goes to show what an absolute freak he is.

Moral of the story, if there’s one dude I had to pick to not worry about on or off the mat it would be him. He’s special all the way around.
Good solid post. I hope you're right and I'm wrong. Lol, I'm wrong about a lot of stuff usually simply because I weigh in on damn near every topic from my all time favorite wrestler(the gentle giant Chris Taylor) to my all time least favorite wrestler( the kid who beat me at district's, regional, AND Hershey who is now my friend lol

Reactions: HawkFan1986
I would rather see him lose a nationals just so the Aholes over at HR can throw a million excuses out as to why and so we dont see a hodge award go to someone not as deserving ( limited matches , very weak weight).

I would rather see him lose a nationals just so the Aholes over at HR can throw a million excuses out as to why and so we dont see a hodge award go to someone not as deserving ( limited matches , very weak weight).
As a wrestling fan I like seeing history made. As a Hawkeye fan I wanna see him do it. As a fan of Spencer I’d like to see him do it.

Not everybody on HR is an ahole. It’s like everything, the loudest in the room are usually the biggest aholes.

Merry Christmas to all on this board. Best of luck the rest of the season, but not to much luck…of course : ).

I agree somewhat. I think his specialness in this case can be a detriment as well. He isn't used to this. I do agree with you that if there is someone who can do it it's Spencer. Merry Christmas Hawk

All American caliber wrestler who simply went through the wrestling equivalent of "Steve Blass disease" when a highly unusual, kind of freak thing just derails your career.
Ahh Steve Blass. He was a really great guy. I went to his baseball camp as a kid. He was a real jokester, a pretty funny man. I was a pitcher to so I never forgot him.

What happened to his career was strange and a bit tragic, one year a 19 game winner as I recall and a couple of years later out of the game. Several years later he showed up at our highschool selling class rings for Jostens.

As a wrestling fan I like seeing history made. As a Hawkeye fan I wanna see him do it. As a fan of Spencer I’d like to see him do it.

Not everybody on HR is an ahole. It’s like everything, the loudest in the room are usually the biggest aholes.

Merry Christmas to all on this board. Best of luck the rest of the season, but not to much luck…of course : ).
go hawks.....just not too far ;).

Taking a deeper look today many of the greats were 19 when they graduated HS. This isn’t brought up unless something good is accomplished by them. Perry wins a State title and people complain that he is older. Forest wins as a frosh in HS over college kids & his age is brought up. I remember in my area when Conner Harer was dominating his freshmen year that is what people were saying. It’s sad people can’t just give compliments but have to talk down. When Waters & Harer will win AA states this year and there will be someone who says that is because they are 16. Looking big picture- Ohio, Jersey and Pa it’s uncommon to be a top wrestler and not be 18 or 19 as a senior. The 17 yr old senior doesn’t happen much any more.
This isn’t wrestling. It’s everywhere. Locally a top PA pitcher switched schools at 8th grade and did it twice. He has a 4.2 GPA per his Instagram and just committed to a D1 school. It’s very popular in my area to send your child to T class essentially a Kindergarten program without it starting the cycle. My older son has 7-8 buddies who did this and they are a year older than him in everything. Our 2nd child is now in T class.

ADVERTISEMENT