ADVERTISEMENT

Next Years Lineup Question

I'd be surprised to see a full reload because even the most stripped down lineup would be a top-3 contender. I'd think. Hmm.

Actually, now that I'm looking at Dice's spreadsheet in search of the least sure lineup we could possibly put out (starters in bold)...

We could easily be blanked at 125-141, given that we don't know what Teske brings, and RBY and Nick Lee redshirt, in favor of, say, Lindemuth and Giannangelli.

149 and 157 are Verk and Berge, neither have redshirts available. Both with great wins but not locks for podium.

165 is Cenzo, no shirt available, and he's a legit finalist threat.

174, Hall could shirt, leaving Manville?

184, if not Rasheed (either b/c injury or rejected 6th year), it could be Hoopes if not Starocci or Brooks.

197 is either Conel or Beard.

285 is either Cassar or Seth Nevills.

That's a lineup that probably isn't winning NCAAs but would be interesting and would probably finish higher than the 2015 team. And this would hinge on the idea that we'd shirt RBY, Nick Lee, Hall and Rasheed and Cassar don't return. Five starters, all AAs, two of them NCs. But those moving parts don't necessarily move in concert, so I could only imagine a full reboot if, say, 4 of those 5 events need to occur.

Looking at other programs:

Oklahoma State brings back Picc, Fix, Brock, Gfeller, Sheets, Smith, and Geer. They have Wittlake coming off of RS. Most of those guys already RS.
Iowa brings back Lee, DeSanto, Murin, Lugo, Kemerer, Marinelli, Young, Wilcke, and Warner.
OSU brings back Heinselman, Pletcher, Hayes, Romero, Smith, Moore and Singletary. Hoffman, R. Jordan, Sasso, Kinner all coming off RS.

If we get back both Shak and Cassar, I think Cael goes all in. However if we get one or the other, with or without Conel, I'm not sure PSU is the favorite next year and might be well served to redshirt as many guys as possible. RBY will have a year to develop physically while guys like Micic, Pletcher, and Suriano exhaust their eligibility. Lee and Hall put a gap year between themselves and Yianni/Zahid. Gives guys like Verkleeren, Manville and possibly Joe Lee an opportunity to work into the lineup.

Reactions: garw and tikk10
Not according to this fan. We've almost got as many question marks as you do, and with or without our question marks I don't see us as preseason #1, probably more like #3. That said, if Kemerer returns and has completely recovered, Lee opts out of taking a RS, and the rest of our team returns healthy, we could be competitive. But even then I don't see us higher than #2 unless Cael decides to execute a strategy along the lines of "we're going to quasi-sacrifice this year so we're stacked for the next 3-4 years." Either way, you're going to be very difficult to beat for the foreseeable future.

For me, there is no doubt that your team will be very, very competitive.

Iowa will have a really strong dual team. I think they will have 8 AAs wrestling in the lineup next year. All 10 guys should be point scorers in the tournament as well, but they will need a couple of those 5-6 place type guys to jump a level into the 1-2 type guys to win the whole thing. DeSanto,Lugo,Young,Bull,Kem, and Warner are all capable. Spencer is obviously already there and will be a threat to bonus through the tournament.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Looking at other programs:

Oklahoma State brings back Picc, Fix, Brock, Gfeller, Sheets, Smith, and Geer. They have Wittlake coming off of RS. Most of those guys already RS.
Iowa brings back Lee, DeSanto, Murin, Lugo, Kemerer, Marinelli, Young, Wilcke, and Warner.
OSU brings back Heinselman, Pletcher, Hayes, Romero, Smith, Moore and Singletary. Hoffman, R. Jordan, Sasso, Kinner all coming off RS.

If we get back both Shak and Cassar, I think Cael goes all in. However if we get one or the other, with or without Conel, I'm not sure PSU is the favorite next year and might be well served to redshirt as many guys as possible. RBY will have a year to develop physically while guys like Micic, Pletcher, and Suriano exhaust their eligibility. Lee and Hall put a gap year between themselves and Yianni/Zahid. Gives guys like Verkleeren, Manville and possibly Joe Lee an opportunity to work into the lineup.

Several guys mentioned here may ORS

Strong candidates for ORS
Lee- damn good chance he wins the spot
Zahid- gave Dake his best matches last year
Manville-greco beast

Possibilities
Hall- in a tough spot, but he still may need/want a RSY
Yanni- pretty sure he qualifies and if he does, he makes 65 all the more unreal

Others not mentioned
Steveson
Cenzo (qualified?). I just dont see this
Berge
Verk (doubt he passes up the chance to start)

What date do guys have to declare their intent to ORS by?

Last edited:
I was under the impression the must accomplish both was for a previous year NCAA champion. Meaning had Cenzo finished 4th this year he would need to be top 2 at U23 WTT. but that makes sense. I was thrown off with punctuation and interpretation

Simple translation: "I was wrong."

Reactions: Dogwelder
Several guys mentioned here may ORS

Strong candidates for ORS
Lee- damn good chance he wins the spot
Zahid- gave Dake his best matches last year
Manville-greco beast

Possibilities
Hall- in a tough spot, but he still may need/want a RSY
Yanni- pretty sure he qualifies and if he does, he makes 65 all the more unreal

Others not mentioned
Steveson
Cenzo (qualified?). I just dont see this
Berge
Verk (doubt he passes up the chance to start)

What date do guys have to declare their intent to ORS by?

Zahid is in the same boat as Hall and Dake re Olympics. 79kg is not an Olympic weight so they would need to do down to 74kg and challenge Burroughs or up to 86kg and challenge DT.

Reactions: ScottH
Based on the limited weight classes and where our guys stand in the USA pecking order, I don't see any of them taking an Olympic redshirt next year other then possibly Manville.

I do see the potential for several of the incoming freshman to make some serious noise right out of the gate. 2015 was a one time deal, no need to rebuild now, this team is reloading and despite some lineup questions, they should be competing for a title with Iowa next year.

Last edited:
What impact will Olympic Trials at BJC have on the roster. It would appear there can be an Olympic experience by just being part of the Penn State Wrestling team.

What impact will Olympic Trials at BJC have on the roster. It would appear there can be an Olympic experience by just being part of the Penn State Wrestling team.
IMO, for the guys really determined to try and make the team it actually would not matter where the trials are being held, the biggest impact would be when they are held which is in late April. With the NCAA's in mid-March and then trials in late April the transition to freestyle and the weight management for the international weights would be issues.

Zahid is in the same boat as Hall and Dake re Olympics. 79kg is not an Olympic weight so they would need to do down to 74kg and challenge Burroughs or up to 86kg and challenge DT.

While both Hall and Zahid are very impressive wrestlers, I cannot imagine either of them next year or in the next 20 years being able to touch DT. So if they have any ideas about the Olympics they need to start cutting while watching Jordan Burroughs film footage. DT was amazing in college, but now is completely off the map. That said, perhaps Bo, who is so gifted and has that funk factor, could give Taylor a run for his money down the road (4-5 years), if that's in the cards for him, I just can't imagine Taylor not getting the starting nod for 2020.

While both Hall and Zahid are very impressive wrestlers, I cannot imagine either of them next year or in the next 20 years being able to touch DT. So if they have any ideas about the Olympics they need to start cutting while watching Jordan Burroughs film footage. DT was amazing in college, but now is completely off the map. That said, perhaps Bo, who is so gifted and has that funk factor, could give Taylor a run for his money down the road (4-5 years), if that's in the cards for him, I just can't imagine Taylor not getting the starting nod for 2020.

I agree. What is amazing about Taylor is that he has matured physically since college. In addition to the obvious body changes, he looks like a man now compared to the kid he looked like in college.

Can't imagine Hall and especially Zahid cutting to 74kg (163 pounds).

Can't imagine Hall and especially Zahid cutting to 74kg (163 pounds).
Zahid no way, but Hall I can see as though it will be difficult and would have to take a red shirt year, has been there before.

Lots of unknowns right now, specifically regarding Olympic Redshirts. Know enough to say that some of the wrestlers and their families haven't completely made up their minds...but speculate away.

My guess is, when the time comes, there will be some surprises.

As far as the timing of any decisions, I found nothing in print. My guess would be September/October 2019, just prior to the start of competitions (November 1). The request is a formal one, through the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement, and is called an Athletics Activity Waiver by the NCAA. This pauses the eligibility clock for one year.

Nash Hawk, where will Brands fit in ur lineup? Undefeated RS year, winning 4 tourneys at 165, was he wrestling up?

Anybody who thinks Hall can not cut to 74kg, J'Den Cox and 86kg are prime examples of what one can get their body to do.

Reactions: lionlover
Off subject but does anyone know how the challenge tournament for the Olympics work? Seems like DT would get a huge advantage cause his natural weight is 86KG, which is an Olympic weight. Would Cox have to be the challenger?

Quick question(s) for someone in the know.

When someone takes an Olympic RS they come of the books for one year w.r.t. the 9.9 correct? And do they actually take the year off from academics as well- i.e. move to the OTC as opposed to an RTC?

Last edited:
Reactions: PSU_Pride_93
Off subject but does anyone know how the challenge tournament for the Olympics work? Seems like DT would get a huge advantage cause his natural weight is 86KG, which is an Olympic weight. Would Cox have to be the challenger?

they haven't announced how olympic trials will work yet. for 2019, medal winners from 2018 worlds are allowed to skip the challenge tournament and go directly to final x. if there's no 2018 medal winner or that person changes weights, the winner of the US Open gets that final x spot.

full challenge tournament details can be found at http://content.themat.com/forms/2019-WTT-MFS.pdf

If we are talking about next years lineup I guess it's not to early to ask if anyone knows about any of our guys going to US Open next month? I am pretty sure I saw something about Verk going.

Teske, RBY, Lee, Verk, Berge, Cenzo, Hall, Shak, Conel, Cassar.

At least four of Lee, Cenzo, Hall, Shak, Cassar are finalists.

#Hawksin21
I agree with Amattaro's prediction.

Interesting point: If Hall doesn't take ORS, and this lineup is accurate, then we have all 5 upperweights redshirting. Joe Lee at 65, Starocci at 74, Brooks at 84, Beard at 97, Big Snacks Nevills at Hvw. That's an incredible amount of talent redshirting, and then potentially all hitting the lineup together in 20-21 season.

#Hawksin2025

I agree with Amattaro's prediction.

Interesting point: If Hall doesn't take ORS, and this lineup is accurate, then we have all 5 upperweights redshirting. Joe Lee at 65, Starocci at 74, Brooks at 84, Beard at 97, Big Snacks Nevills at Hvw. That's an incredible amount of talent redshirting, and then potentially all hitting the lineup together in 20-21 season.

#Hawksin2025

Do you feel Joe Lee at 65 and or Starocci at 65/74 would beat out a Mason Manville in 20-21? Just looking for thoughts

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT