ADVERTISEMENT

Next Years Lineup Question

Hall has said he cuts the most weight out of all his team mates, how do people think he drops more weight to go to 165? I don't see that at all.

hall appears small for 74 compared to others
That's fine, but if he's stouter (sp?) and says he cuts the most weight, I truly doubt he's going to cut to 165. I could be wrong and maybe I read incorrectly, but we'll see next fall.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Just a thought i had and would like to know others opinions but if Cassar decides it is time to move on, does anyone see Seth RS and having Conel move up to Heavyweight. If that’s so the lineup could look like:
157 berge
165 manville
174 Cenzo
184 hall
197 Shak/Beard
285 Conel
A little unorthodox and different but don’t think it’s impossible to see Conel as a Heavyweight

If I'm not mistaken, Conel's fairly short. Yeah, he's stout and he very well may have to cut some to make 197, but I really don't see him getting above about 225 by adding only "good weight". I still think there's a real possibility that his shoulder's simply not up to another year of wrestling and we may not see him in a PSU singlet, at least not for an entire season. I hope that I'm wrong because he does seem like a nice young man and he seems to want one more shot.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
125 - meredith/schnupp
133 - Teske
141 - RBY
149 - N. lee
157 - Berge/Verk
165 - Manville
174 - Joseph
184 - Brooks
197 - Beard
285 - Nevills

(Excluding potential Medical shirts, but Hall taking his shirt.)

I really can’t see both RBY and Nick Lee moving up a weight. RBY was getting horsed Frequently this year, especially at NCAA’s. I think he needs a red shirt more than moving up a weight. I also think Nick Lee has stopped growing and will be a career 141. I don’t see him adding enough muscle to be effective at 149. Just MHO.

Lucas Byrd decommitted from Maryland. He would make a great career 125.
Lemonpie be like

giphy.gif

Teske wrestled at 133 apparently? RBY redshirt? Does Byrd have interest in PSU? Who else needs a top tier 125 lber?

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sp...salles-first-two-time-state-champ/3123137002/

"Lucas Byrd is one of a kind, he's an absolute machine," La Salle coach Ryan Root said. "The hardest working kid in the room, probably, that I've ever seen. I can't say enough about him and at the same time, it doesn't even compare to what he is as an individual. He's a class act all the way. He's a quality, quality person. A good leader, a good representative of La Salle High School and I'll say, I think, of Ohio wrestling

Teske wrestled at 133 apparently? RBY redshirt? Does Byrd have interest in PSU? Who else needs a top tier 125 lber?
I thought the reasoning for Teske wrestling at 133 was there was no intent to pull his RS. Therefore no need to maintain 125 and he could wrestle at a weight which may be more comfortable for him. Expect him to wrestle 125 for 2019 - 2020.

At the lower weights, you have to presume there will be upward migration within weight classes and that depth will be an issue. Kid seems like he would be a great fit. FULL COURT PRESS! ;)

I've heard mixed msg's with teske... 1st he had to grow into the weight and then 2nd he had to cut to 125.

Good call, does seem odd, hoping he was just not worried much about holding 125 being just a RS.Maybe we get a glimpse of where he’s at this summer.

Teske did a little, but that doesn't mean much. Lots of guys wrestle up when shirting. Ed Ruth immediately comes to mind. When training to face the 125 starters, depends on what you're working on -- to beat quickness, face the 125 shirts; to beat strength, face the 133 shirts.

We'll find out soon enough who Byrd is interested in. I just hope he doesn't stay in-state and go tan.

As far as who needs a 125 -- almost everybody. Hardest weight to recruit. Current roster guys could outgrow the weight, and so could the recruits even before they arrive on campus.

Princeton, Cornell, Michigan, NC State, Iowa, OKST, and Minny don't need one -- but can't completely rule out them looking anyway. Ohio State doesn't either, but that wouldn't stop Tan Tom. We once had Nico (HS 126) and Conaway (HS 113) in the same class -- that worked out OK.

Reactions: royboy
T
Did you guys watch the Scuffle match vs Luke Werner? He absolutely worked Teske from top so maybe the 133 was more to get used to guys that were going to hammer him from the top position. Like everyone said before he wasn’t certifying to compete he was a shirt all the way so I’m sure it was all following “the plan”

Teske must have had mono

Did you guys watch the Scuffle match vs Luke Werner? He absolutely worked Teske from top so maybe the 133 was more to get used to guys that were going to hammer him from the top position. Like everyone said before he wasn’t certifying to compete he was a shirt all the way so I’m sure it was all following “the plan”

Jack Mueller beat Werner 17-1. Werner beats Teske 15-0. Some perspective....unless Teske indeed had mono or Perhaps the sniffles

Reactions: Dogwelder
I don't think any one is expecting Teske to be on Mueller's level at this point. I do believe he will be able to qualify if he starts next year--and perhaps win some matches, and from all accounts. Hope he can add strength, and who knows where his ceiling is. That said, Byrd is most welcome to join the team!

Seth Gross may transfer to PSU. Or may not. Also cenzo might move up. Or not. Mark might move up, or redshirt, or both, or neither. Conel could go at 197, or Beard. Rby might redshirt, or might not. Teske might be at 125, but what if schnupp beats him out? Bo Pipher could be in there and so could Manville. Cassar might go and might not. Same for shak.

Clear as mud.

Iowa, on the other hand, looking like the preseason 1...at least according to their fans.
Not according to this fan. We've almost got as many question marks as you do, and with or without our question marks I don't see us as preseason #1, probably more like #3. That said, if Kemerer returns and has completely recovered, Lee opts out of taking a RS, and the rest of our team returns healthy, we could be competitive. But even then I don't see us higher than #2 unless Cael decides to execute a strategy along the lines of "we're going to quasi-sacrifice this year so we're stacked for the next 3-4 years." Either way, you're going to be very difficult to beat for the foreseeable future.

Not according to this fan. We've almost got as many question marks as you do, and with or without our question marks I don't see us as preseason #1, probably more like #3. That said, if Kemerer returns and has completely recovered, Lee opts out of taking a RS, and the rest of our team returns healthy, we could be competitive. But even then I don't see us higher than #2 unless Cael decides to execute a strategy along the lines of "we're going to quasi-sacrifice this year so we're stacked for the next 3-4 years." Either way, you're going to be very difficult to beat for the foreseeable future.
Not enough facts, imo. Playing out all the iterations this early, and several teams could enter next season "favored", but only be on paper.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Although I am not necessarily advocating it, a reboot year similar to 2015 would have to be under consideration. A lot of moving parts, so time will tell.

Although I am not necessarily advocating it, a reboot year similar to 2015 would have to be under consideration. A lot of moving parts, so time will tell.

IDK. The difference is that the guys in question (J. Lee, Brooks, Beard and S. Nevills) won't be fresh out of high school next year as were Nolf, Nickal and N. Nevills. If Shak and Cassar come back and Conel works out, there won't be any need to use 3 of this year's greyshirters in my mind. I'm still not convinced Penn State couldn't have won in 2015. 35 more points would have put them over the top. But it was probably better for the overall picture moving forward.

Reactions: nitlion6
I'd be surprised to see a full reload because even the most stripped down lineup would be a top-3 contender. I'd think. Hmm.

Actually, now that I'm looking at Dice's spreadsheet in search of the least sure lineup we could possibly put out (starters in bold)...

We could easily be blanked at 125-141, given that we don't know what Teske brings, and RBY and Nick Lee redshirt, in favor of, say, Lindemuth and Giannangelli.

149 and 157 are Verk and Berge, neither have redshirts available. Both with great wins but not locks for podium.

165 is Cenzo, no shirt available, and he's a legit finalist threat.

174, Hall could shirt, leaving Manville?

184, if not Rasheed (either b/c injury or rejected 6th year), it could be Hoopes if not Starocci or Brooks.

197 is either Conel or Beard.

285 is either Cassar or Seth Nevills.

That's a lineup that probably isn't winning NCAAs but would be interesting and would probably finish higher than the 2015 team. And this would hinge on the idea that we'd shirt RBY, Nick Lee, Hall and Rasheed and Cassar don't return. Five starters, all AAs, two of them NCs. But those moving parts don't necessarily move in concert, so I could only imagine a full reboot if, say, 4 of those 5 events need to occur.

I think both Berge and Verk could Olypic Redshirt.

I'm not sure but I think we could red shirt almost everyone below thru Olympic or regular red Shirts. Am I right?

RBY
Nick Lee
Berge
Verk
Hall
Joe Lee
Manville
Brooks
Nevils
Beard
Carter Starocci

Last edited:
@RoarLions1

You mind sharing your 6 potential different lineups. :)

Bragging rights for a week to the man, woman, or child that gets next year's line-up correct, three days after winning the National Championship ;):).

Kidding, sort of...good fun to mention, once again, the talent (especially the young not-yet-realized talent) that is here and coming in.

Already mentioned are some of the variables; redshirts, OLY redshirts, 6th years, and wrestlers moving weight classes. I see six weight classes that could have a different wrestler than several days ago, and an outside chance it's seven. Regardless which way I put it on paper, each line-up looks solid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT