ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tournament - Only Essential Staff/Families in Person

How does Stubhub and such handle all these refunds. Some people are out a lot of money.

Pretty sure StubHUB doesn’t refund since it is a secondary marketplace. If you got tickets through there, I think you are screwed.

Reactions: smealpsu2005
Pretty sure StubHUB doesn’t refund since it is a secondary marketplace. If you got tickets through there, I think you are screwed.
From a Stubhub forum with moderator response.

Re: My event was canceled! Can I get a refund?
Thank you so much for reaching out on that xxxxx. The refunds for cancelled events should be automatic so that's definitely something we'll need to look into for you. One thing to keep in mind is that refunds won't be issued for postponed events as the tickets are still valid for the new date.

That statement appears pretty open-ended, only "recommending" against public attendance. I asked Columbia for guidance as to how it or the NCAA plans on interpreting "essential personnel." My guess is that I'm not essential.

I don’t see how StubHUB will be able to issue refunds. The event isn’t cancelled. How can they monitor if tickets were actually used by family?

It will be a pretty muddy situation on who gets refunds and who doesn’t

I don’t see how StubHUB will be able to issue refunds. The event isn’t cancelled. How can they monitor if tickets were actually used by family?

I imagine original ticket holders will be given recourse but you're right that the secondary market muddy the waters in terms of refunds, at least procedurally. However, it's in Stubhub's genuine interest to honor whatever deal original ticket holders receive and not impose unrealistic hoops to jump through because it'll otherwise devalue itself as a service. If people buying tickets on Stubhub are deprived of rights the original ticket holder enjoyed, that's bad for Stubhub.

I just called, my three night hotel is non-refundable. I'm out at least $500 plus whatever happens with my tickets.

Reactions: Dogwelder

I would think that if family were the only allowed spectators then they would not be using original tickets but would have passes issued to them, but who really knows at this point.

Feel so bad for those that had plans to go and believe it or not I feel for the Hawk fans who are primed to a National title and will not be able to enjoy it live and in person. Small price to pay I suppose given the overall circumstances...but still.

Reactions: Ja1339
Wow, the largest venue in NCAA wrestling history for this event for the smallest crowd. Going to be very odd. The family members who can go should have great seats so good for them. Between "essential personnel," family members, wrestlers and coaches/staff, probably looking at less than 3,000 people total.

I made them through a travel website (Hotels.com) and they are not refunding my reservation.
I have booked things through Expedia before and yesterday reserved a vehicle. I didn't read the details but they appear to have some procedure in place for coronavirus cancellations. They did say wait until you are definitely affected before contacting them because they are overloaded with inquiries. I wouldn't give up, hotels.com may change policies. I'd contact the hotel directly as well.

I'm in the same boat if the Trials get impacted.

Reactions: liex26
I made them through a travel website (Hotels.com) and they are not refunding my reservation.
I purchased an insurance plan for mine (for like the first time ever). I’d heard rumors that those claims are being met with the “Act of God” BS. Anybody have a firsthand trip insurance experience yet?

Reactions: Dogwelder
I purchased an insurance plan for mine (for like the first time ever). I’d heard rumors that those claims are being met with the “Act of God” BS. Anybody have a firsthand trip insurance experience yet?
I would respond that with divine intervention, everything is an act of God and see where that gets you.

keep good records - may be a tax deductible for 2020 depending on how bad things get - this could be in both State and Federal temporary Tax Law changes
Have you done your taxes lately , with the new tax laws our president implemented for last year (basically cutting our deductions for state tax) it is the standard deduction. I don't even keep receipts anymore for charity. I think Trump is kicking around the payroll tax but not sure i see any tax benefit coming due to the NCAA screwing the folks with tickets

They are up to three pages over there. Here we got 34 comments lol

I don't blame them, I doubt if there wouldn't be just as many pages on here if we were in their shoes. What do you think people here would say if the perfect storm hit Iowa and PSU pulled it out?

Thankfully my Hilton reservation could be cancelled up to 4 days before. We were driving, so I’m only out our tickets so far. We bought ours through Ticketmaster so I assume they will refund us.

I actually feel bad for Iowa fans. They’ve been beaten up for the past decade and now they are big favorites to win and they can’t go see it. That sucks.

Your best bet is to claim on the insurance based on getting sick, with a doctor’s note. So, maybe try to get coronavirus for real?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT