ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tournament - Only Essential Staff/Families in Person

I received the same message, liex. After 3 phone calls and countless emails, it seems I'm out $1200. And just like that, Marriott joins the ever-growing list of corporations that I shall never give another quid to.
If you make the list long enough, you'll never be able to leave your house, which, oddly enough, probably significantly reduces your risk of coronavirus. Sorry, too soon?

Got my room cancelled with no penalty. Radisson Blu...flights I’ll have to call tomorrow and see what they plan on doing. Guessing credits.
Let me know how you make out with the cancellation fee. Delta graciously allows you to cancel for $200, and I got the $108 back in Ecredit.

I received the same message, liex. After 3 phone calls and countless emails, it seems I'm out $1200. And just like that, Marriott joins the ever-growing list of corporations that I shall never give another quid to.

I cancelled at four reservations with Marriott for work this week & next. Zero problem. I do have status which probably helps (Lifetime Titanium Elite over 1000 nights).

I think his point is you are NOT looking on the bright side of life, just the negative.

It's more frustration than negativity. $1200 isn't much in the grand scheme, especially considering the severity of COVID-19.

As much as I was looking forward to going to Minneapolis, I completely understand the need to limit attendance, and I think it will ultimately be the right decision. The best way to prevent the spread of this illness (wash your hands and face!) is isolation and limiting large group gatherings. I have to imagine that Olympic Trials are next to be considered for reduction or cancellation.

Sounds like some hotels are getting greedy with regards to refunds on an event they know most can't attend. That's bullshit since it's not your fault and it's close to a week out yet. Most hotels have a 24-48 hour window for cancellations with full refunds. Good luck getting your money back. Maybe tell them you tested positive and if you don't get your money back your coming anyway?

Here's the text of an email I received from Expedia:

Dear Expedia Traveler,
We know many of you are trying to contact us to find out more about adjusting your travel plans due to the situation with COVID-19, and we are deeply sorry for the delays. We are clearly facing extreme call volumes at this time, and wish we could respond to everyone immediately. Please know that we are working as fast as we can to update our site with options that allow you to manage your itinerary directly, as well as re-deploying Travel Advisors from other parts of the business in an effort to assist those who are calling in.
The quickest way to find out if your travel plans can be changed without a penalty will be to check the airline or hotel website directly; please verify with your provider first before contacting Expedia. As always, Expedia follows the policies of our partners, which means that any credit, refund or change will be at the discretion of the airline, hotel, cruise line or other travel provider.
If your travel plans do not currently fall under a flexible change policy or are not scheduled to begin within the next 7 days, we ask that you please delay your call to our customer service until your trip becomes eligible or you are within 7 days of your trip start date, so we can help those with more imminent travel first.
Thank you for your patience and understanding during these difficult times. We will continue to do our best to serve you and do whatever we can to help you travel with better peace of mind. For more information, please visit our Customer Service Portal.
Sincerely,
The Expedia Travel Team

I purchased an insurance plan for mine (for like the first time ever). I’d heard rumors that those claims are being met with the “Act of God” BS. Anybody have a firsthand trip insurance experience yet?
I had insurance also--was awarded a credit--have to fly American with in 1 year of purchase date--purchase date not planned travel date.

Let me know how you make out with the cancellation fee. Delta graciously allows you to cancel for $200, and I got the $108 back in Ecredit.
When I cancelled with Delta yesterday, they said (and had a notice online) that due to the coronavirus, they would either allow you to reschedule without penalty or you could get the full fare back in a voucher. We got a full fare voucher. Maybe there are some differences I'm not aware of, but that's what I saw and experienced.

Note: I didn't purchase flight insurance.

Sounds like some hotels are getting greedy with regards to refunds on an event they know most can't attend. That's bullshit since it's not your fault and it's close to a week out yet. Most hotels have a 24-48 hour window for cancellations with full refunds. Good luck getting your money back. Maybe tell them you tested positive and if you don't get your money back your coming anyway?
tell them you got the virus and you're coming

Yes, and you'll be able to hear him throughout the arena.

Tournament will be cancelled (not official yet but BIG just cancelled bball tournament so the writing is on the wall) so you won;t be able to hear Byers.

Tournament will be cancelled (not official yet but BIG just cancelled bball tournament so the writing is on the wall) so you won;t be able to hear Byers.
Maybe not, BIG is canceling the BBall conference tournament not the national championships. Let's wait for official word.

Every conference has cancelled their conference tournament. Things will not be better in a week. In fact things are going to get worse over the next few months with infections. I don’t see how the NCAA can justify holding their basketball tournament when every conference cancelled theirs no matter how much money it makes them.

And one thing is for sure. If they cancel the basketball tournament there is less than a zero percent chance they hold the wrestling tournament.

I think we should prepare for no NCAA tournament this year. The only person this likely benefits is Zahid Valencia.

Eh. The momentum is going 1 way here - and not the good way.
  • 2 months ago I was looking at prices for nonstops to Minneapolis and the shock of the 800 ticket price left me thinking I'll just wait it out and will get better.
  • 2 weeks ago I had resigned myself to it being a 3K trip for the the SO and myself.
  • 10 days ago I was both elated by the 300 price drop in airfare but a little deflated by the amount of AQs the EIWA got at 133 - two. The fact that my guy earned one evened it out a bit.
  • 6 days ago I was really happy that he won two bouts by bonus to advance to the semis - only one match from qualifying.
  • 5 days ago I was upset - but not as much as he was - when he dropped an OT match to lose the spot he had qualified. 2 hours later I was proud when he got his head back on straight - after a couple of hairy minutes - to win two matches and put himself in position to get an at-large.
  • 4 days ago I was nervous as I scanned the conference tournaments hoping not to see a bunch of medical defaults or upsets with only 4 at-large available at his weight.
  • 3 days ago I was cautiously confident after the results of those relatively upset-free tournaments had been dissected in the wee hours of the previous night and I had compared his standing in the relevant categories against the potential at large pool. I also was relieved that my indecision and inactivity in regards to travel plans looked like it was saving me some money as air fare continued to drop.
  • 2 days ago I was ecstatic for everyone in our family - especially his mother - when he received a well deserved at-large. But I was also starting to become concerned as the virus seemed to be ramping up here.
  • Yesterday my concern grew until the NCAA announced it's plan to allow support personnel and family attend. I was then both relieved that NCAAs wouldn't be taken away from him and bummed that I was going to be there, but many of our friends that we enjoy this event so much with wouldn't be. It wasn't going to be the same.
  • Today I became resigned to the fact that these championships are not going to happen - it's just a matter of time (in fact, it could happen by the time I finish writing this). He's not and his teammates and coaches aren't either. But I am. And I'm OK with it - it's the right thing to do.

It's been a hell of a roller coaster but I've come to the realization that I have spent far too much time over the past few days worrying about how all this affects us (meaning our family specifically and all the wrestlers in general). That's not really the point of what's going on. These championships are the pot of at the end of a very long rainbow for just about all involved. And it really sucks and isn't fair. But life isn't always fair either and what's great about wrestling is that it prepares you for that. This will end up being just a small footnote in their lives. The journey to reach this point (meaning competing at NCAAs) is what will have the lasting effect on ALL of the athletes.

I don't expect him to feel the same way today, tomorrow, next week or maybe much longer. But he'll figure it out soon enough.

Last edited:
Every conference has cancelled their conference tournament. Things will not be better in a week. In fact things are going to get worse over the next few months with infections. I don’t see how the NCAA can justify holding their basketball tournament when every conference cancelled theirs no matter how much money it makes them.

And one thing is for sure. If they cancel the basketball tournament there is less than a zero percent chance they hold the wrestling tournament.

I think we should prepare for no NCAA tournament this year. The only person this likely benefits is Zahid Valencia.

How would it benefit Zahid? His eligibility is done.

Reactions: dsites52
How would it benefit Zahid? His eligibility is done.

I could easily see a blanket “4 in 6 year” exemption coming out at some point. Would cause roster chaos, but it still seems fair. Whether or not it applies to Zahid is another question.

Reactions: y2jriden
I could easily see a blanket “4 in 6 year” exemption coming out at some point. Would cause roster chaos, but it still seems fair. Whether or not it applies to Zahid is another question.

Not gonna happen.

I don't see any reason YET to think the death total will come anywhere close to Spanish Flu, but this is still shaping up to be the worst flu pandemic probably since then, so losing out on a wrestling tournament is for sure not the end of the world.

However, it will be very annoying if Zahid gets to wrestle next year as a result. To put it mildly, I have very little respect for him at this point.

I bet it does.

This is not going to happen. There's no need for it.

Individual cases will be handled on and individual basis as they are doing currently. Most likely the committee deciding on this would include this situation as a piece of information in the totality of the application for the 6th year. As it should be.

• ...ummed that I was going to be there, but many of our friends that we enjoy this event so much with wouldn't be. It wasn't going to be the same.
  • Today I became resigned to the fact that these championships are not going to happen - it's just a matter of time (in fact, it could happen by the time I finish writing this). He's not and his teammates and coaches aren't either. But I am. And I'm OK with it - it's the right thing to do.
It's been a hell of a roller coaster but I've come to the realization that I have spent far too much time over the past few days worrying about how all this affects us (meaning our family specifically and all the wrestlers in general). That's not really the point of what's going on. These championships are the pot of at the end of a very long rainbow for just about all involved. And it really sucks and isn't fair. But life isn't always fair either and what's great about wrestling is that it prepares you for that. This will end up being just a small footnote in their lives. The journey to reach this point (meaning competing at NCAAs) is what will have the last effect on ALL of the athletes.

I don't expect him to feel the same way today, tomorrow, next week or maybe much longer. But he'll figure it out soon enough.

Funny how that came to me as I was typing. Probably within minutes of the coaches being informed.

Hope you guys can get your refunds. A trusted source told me that jammenz is still fighting to get a refund for all the Goofer 2014 National Champions shirts that he purchased.

I'm working on getting a refund from La Quinta Inn by Wyndham who sneakily used a 3rd party booker, Getaroom.com. Getaroom's terms and conditions state no refunds, but you don't get to read them until you've already paid and received an email confirmation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT