ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tournament - 30 Years

Raw Daddy

Nov 16, 2014
I have seen lots of duals between historical teams. Penn State teams fair well, but we all know that's not what determines a national champion.

So I propose some thoughts around this. If you took Penn State's all time team over the past 30 years (this way you capture most of Iowa's run) and slotted people in against the field of their weight who would score the most team points?

This creates 2 debates: the who gets slotted in and then against the field how would they fair? For example, would we have Jeremy Hunter or Nico first. Secondly, where would they fit in over the last 30 years. Would they generate team points? Obviously our relied upon bonus isn't going to be as high.

You'd have to only take the top 10-16 teams over that time. So while some might argue Abas may be the number 1 guy, his team wouldn't qualify for this event. Like everyone, Iowa would have to make some really tricky decisions. Would you change the format some?

Who would be Penn State's team? How does it go against the field? I like our chances.

I have a headache trying to decipher that. Lol. Let me drink a couple cups of coffee and I'll get back to you. Great idea by the way I like it can't wait to see what price come up with

Caffeine aint gonna make that headache any better, and who is “price”?

...this is just one step on the way to someone suggesting the ultimate ... pick 12 baseball teams using their best position players from 1920 to date and tell us who would win the World Series... :(

Would the majority be guys from the last 10 years?
Here is my crack at our team. Yes, obviously our team is weighted to recent guys, but interestingly my first 3 are not (come on, Cael). Iowa will likely be all over the 30 years. Oklahoma State would be the same and the most interesting to me with some of the high level guys there. I don't have room for Vincenzo (potentially a 3 time champ, 4 time finalist), Q. Wright (2x champ, 3 time finalist), Phil Davis or Anthony Cassar. I picked Kerry because he won the Hodge that year, but barring injury/some virus called corona Anthony could have been a 2 timer.

Here is my crack (I know some weights are different). The way I score it is how the person did that year you pick him. Obviously, Kolat at 134 his early years at Penn State is not the same one you have at the end. That's why I went with Hall at 74, and Ruth at 84. I believed Mark would have dominated at NCAAs this year and was looking bored out there to me, Iowa match aside. I could have done Ruth at 74 and Quentin at 84.This is very tough if you go through it.

125: Abe (was at 126)
133: Kolat (was at 134)
141: John Hughes (was at 142)
149: Zain
157: Nolf
165: David Taylor
174: Mark Hall
184: Ruth
197: Bo Nickal
Heavy: Kerry

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT