ADVERTISEMENT

My simpletonian take on PSU and Iowa

Goodson caught a pass on an Angle route, juked Nick Cross out of his shoes, and ran away from the rest of the defense for a Barkley-esqe TD. Beautiful play. Very curious why Brian Ferentz wasted it on a Maryland team they done demoralized. Probably didn't expect to score on the play.
Goodson scares me a bit. Very shifty. We gotta wrap up, not bang with shoulders.

JMO...What concerns me is that we don't force our opponent to get out of their base defense to stop our running game. If we can force Iowa into bringing up more players into the box, maybe we can hit some big plays. Can PSU score 20 points? If we do...we will win.

"It's effectively a playoff elimination game for us"

You could not possibly be more wrong. In many respects, a loss to Iowa is meaningless. Our season (and CFP possibilities) will be determined by our games against Michigan, Ohio State, and MSU. (I am assuming we beat Illinois, Maryland, and Rutgers).

Agree with you, theoretically we probably get another shot at Iowa even if we lose by controlling our destiny in East (i.e., if we win East). The same is probably true for Iowa... they will get a second bite at the apple even if they lose by winning West (albeit, Iowa's task in winning West is much easier than PSU's winning East as evidenced by Wisconsin losing to both PSU and Michigan to date.).

Goodson scares me a bit. Very shifty. We gotta wrap up, not bang with shoulders.

He seems to be a combo of the two Auburn backs in one. A complete back that can turn on the jets or run with discipline. Hands a plus. Uncertain about his blocking. I don't know enough to say.

Hey, we faced a better back in Tank Bigsby

Maybe so, but Goodson is going to present a challenge.

If we can force Iowa into bringing up more players into the box, maybe we can hit some big plays. Can PSU score 20 points? If we do...we will win.

Game planning curve balls aside, Iowa will give us similar fronts to what Indiana did. If we can run with similar success, Iowa is probably okay matching up with that. They will be ok with a 1 yard loss here, and a 4 yard gain there. Everytime we run, we aren't throwing. And if we aren't throwing, Dotson isn't potentially making their life a nightmare.

I think we play inside out against this Hawkeye defense. Meaning, we go from wide sets to narrow sets trying to get Iowa out of position. I think the TEs are going to be important. Expect to see more of them on the outside as we did in earlier games.

Yeah he went to Ohio State for $150,000 more a year, surely a worse situation. :rolleyes:
Seems like you maybe a tad nervous about Saturday.
No, I really don't care what happens. Just glad the Hawks are relevant. He did take a position demotion.

Let's just say I have inside sources in the Cowboy athletic dept. He was not up to OSU offense standards and Gundy took playcalling duties away from him.

JMO...What concerns me is that we don't force our opponent to get out of their base defense to stop our running game. If we can force Iowa into bringing up more players into the box, maybe we can hit some big plays. Can PSU score 20 points? If we do...we will win.

Personally, I think you have it very much backwards. If Iowa starts game with "run numbers" in the box, MY will likely go after their soft zones (i.e., "prevent pass defense" - i.e., pass defense set up to keep everything in front of coverage and "prevent" big play). If PSU is successful in moving the ball with high percentage short passes, it will spread Iowa's defense laterally and back them off the LOS.... IOW, they will be forced to drop LBs to stop short-to-intermediate passing game. This is when MY would counter with the run (i.e., pass setting up run, not vice versa). JMO.

Hey, we faced a better back in Tank Bigsby
Goodson is a nice back. One thing I noticed against Maryland is that he keeps his feet moving, so you need to get him down if it looks like he's bottled up with nowhere to go because he'll keep moving and break outside if you don't wrap him up.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
No, I really don't care what happens. Just glad the Hawks are relevant. He did take a position demotion.

Let's just say I have inside sources in the Cowboy athletic dept. He was not up to OSU offense standards and Gundy took playcalling duties away from him.
I can't find anything to back up what you're saying.

What if you play mistake-filled imaginative football? Is that better than mistake-filled unimaginative football?
It's more interesting.

One caveat to my original post...
There is a limit to what is functional and dysfunctional imagination.

Goodson is a nice back. One thing I noticed against Maryland is that he keeps his feet moving, so you need to get him down if it looks like he's bottled up with nowhere to go because he'll keep moving and break outside if you don't wrap him up.

Did you notice he only had 66 yards on 19 carries against MD (3.5 ypc)??? He did even worse against Colorado State and ISU (3.2 and 2.6 ypc respectively - 18/57 and 21/55 carries/yards respectively). Mr. Goodson doesn't look that "unstoppable" to me - quite the contrary, he's been stopped in every game he's played this year except for Kent State.

So how long do you think Yurcich will last?
I think most PSU fans have been happy overall so far and would hope he hangs around awhile (run game needs some work though). Of course if he's very successful he'll be courted to other jobs, possibly HC positions.

Whatever. The fact remains he was called 'diabolical' on national tv and his QB was 28-32 vs. Auburn. So he's got results. You got your nephew's sister's son once removed by marriage once heard MY wasn't liked by Gundy.

Reactions: step.eng69
Personally, I think you have it very much backwards. If Iowa starts game with "run numbers" in the box, MY will likely go after their soft zones (i.e., "prevent pass defense" - i.e., pass defense set up to keep everything in front of coverage and "prevent" big play). If PSU is successful in moving the ball with high percentage short passes, it will spread Iowa's defense laterally and back them off the LOS.... IOW, they will be forced to drop LBs to stop short-to-intermediate passing game. This is when MY would counter with the run (i.e., pass setting up run, not vice versa). JMO.
I hope you are right. But after watching PSU not be able to move 4 lineman from Villanova, struggle last week with IU, my guess is Iowa won't start with run numbers in the box. Can PSU make Iowa's defense do things they don't want to do. Last week vs Maryland they dropped 7-8 all the time. Maryland refused to run it...Like I said, I hope I am wrong. I also am predicting PSU scores a defensive TD this week!

Yeah, it's much better to have the son of the head coach calling plays. We have some experience with that too...

Did you notice he only had 66 yards on 19 carries against MD (3.5 ypc)??? He did even worse against Colorado State and ISU (3.2 and 2.6 ypc respectively - 18/57 and 21/55 carries/yards respectively). Mr. Goodson doesn't look that "unstoppable" to me - quite the contrary, he's been stopped in every game he's played this year except for Kent State.
I didn't say he's unstoppable, just that I think he's a decent running back.

Whatever. The fact remains he was called 'diabolical' on national tv and his QB was 28-32 vs. Auburn. So he's got results. You got your nephew's sister's son once removed by marriage once heard MY wasn't liked by Gundy.
That's hilarious. First we hear the story about how Gundy secretly met with him in Hagerstown to hire him away from Shipp increasing his salary from 45K to 450K!!! Then he was hired by O$U with apparently a salary of $600K for a year. Then he goes to Texas for a year with another big raise. Finally he ends up back in his home state. Again we assume he got a raise.

But apparently he stunk up the place everywhere he went. Thank God the Iowa folks are here to set us straight. We know those Hawks are a big time football program. Shucks!!!

I hope you are right. But after watching PSU not be able to move 4 lineman from Villanova, struggle last week with IU, my guess is Iowa won't start with run numbers in the box. Can PSU make Iowa's defense do things they don't want to do. Last week vs Maryland they dropped 7-8 all the time. Maryland refused to run it...Like I said, I hope I am wrong. I also am predicting PSU scores a defensive TD this week!
I will 100% guarantee Iowa won’t bring a safety into the box Saturday, at least at the start. They’ll make you prove you can an run the ball.

That's hilarious. First we hear the story about how Gundy secretly met with him in Hagerstown to hire him away from Shipp increasing his salary from 45K to 450K!!! Then he was hired by O$U with apparently a salary of $600K for a year. Then he goes to Texas for a year with another big raise. Finally he ends up back in his home state. Again we assume he got a raise.

But apparently he stunk up the place everywhere he went. Thank God the Iowa folks are here to set us straight. We know those Hawks are a big time football program. Shucks!!!
Hope he keeps his job for years and doesn't become another scape goat for your DB head coach.

Hope he keeps his job for years and doesn't become another scape goat for your DB head coach.
WTF is that about? I really don't understand the Iowa hatred for CJF. Other than that he's 4-1 and probably about to be 5-1 vs. Iowa.

Reactions: psu_et_vt
Nebraska has been lights out over the last 6 quarts. Michigan will have their hands full.
Nebby played way above their norm and Fitz played one of the worst games ever at NW -Mich by 3 TD's put a man on Martinez and Nebby is toast
Near record temps for Saturday in Iowa City. Black helmets + black jerseys = slippery schweddy ballz. Cool guys wear white!
Nah makes your ass look bigger :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT