ADVERTISEMENT

My simpletonian take on PSU and Iowa

We need three td's and no turnovers and we win. Iowa, we can beat. The real challenges are yet to come in the traditional form of Michigan and OSU. Love to see Nebraska knock off UM this Saturday, but if UM wins, watch out! Fortunately, we get them at home.

Reactions: ftlpsu
Better that UM wins ...
They are too preppy to exert effort more than a couple games on a row. Good God they might break a sweat!

Reactions: step.eng69
Iowa’s Goodson is a very good running back and PSU has a tendency to forget about Iowa’s tight ends.

That said, thinking PSU 27-19.

Considering this is game 6 with our new OC, here’s hoping we get a repeat of game 6 in 2016 when things seemed to “click” with a new OC that year.

Last edited:
Reactions: OhioLion
Iowa’s Goodson is a very good running back and PSU has a tendency to forget about Iowa’s tight ends.

That said, thinking PSU 27-19.

Goodson's numbers to date: 99 Rushes, 430 yards, 4.3 ypc average. Those are below average numbers for a RB.

PSU's RB Lee has 28 Carrie's for 174 yards and a 6.2 ypc avg.

Goodson's numbers to date: 99 Rushes, 430 yards, 4.3 ypc average. Those are below average numbers for a RB.

PSU's RB Lee has 28 Carrie's for 174 yards and a 6.2 ypc avg.

Numbers don’t always tell the whole story. (For example, look at Barkley’s numbers through four games this year.)

Numbers don’t always tell the whole story. (For example, look at Barkley’s numbers through four games this year.)

Goodson caught a pass on an Angle route, juked Nick Cross out of his shoes, and ran away from the rest of the defense for a Barkley-esqe TD. Beautiful play. Very curious why Brian Ferentz wasted it on a Maryland team they done demoralized. Probably didn't expect to score on the play.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Goodson caught a pass on an Angle route, juked Nick Cross out of his shoes, and ran away from the rest of the defense for a Barkley-esqe TD. Beautiful play. Very curious why Brian Ferentz wasted it on a Maryland team they done demoralized. Probably didn't expect to score on the play.
One more thing to game for

Huh? What? Barkley is coming back from ACL surgery & rehab - most RBs don't return 100% to form from this until 2nd Year back.

Regarding Goodson, he had 66 yards in 19 attempts for a 3.5 ypc average against MD. Against Colorado State, 57 yards on 18 attempts for a 3.2 ypc average. Against ISU, 21 carries for 55 yards and a 2.6 ypc average.... The only really good game he's had this year was against Kent (22 carries, 153 yards, 7.0 ypc). His overall, and actual, stats are less than impressive.

We need three td's and no turnovers and we win. Iowa, we can beat. Thae rel challenges are yet to come in the traditional form of Michigan and OSU. Love to see Nebraska knock off UM this Saturday, but if UM wins, watch out! Fortunately, we get them at home.
"The real challenges are yet to come in the traditional form of Michigan and OSU" LMFAO!, bubble bust is coming up in 5 days.

• Haha
Reactions: cow5217
Playing mistake free and confidently executed football with imagination, beats mistake-free and confidently executed unimaginative football every time.
Generally true. I think a point a lot of people are missing is that we need this game a lot more than Iowa. It's effectively a playoff elimination game for us since we have a much tougher schedule the rest of the way. Iowa can still make the playoff with a loss if they win out and win the BCG. We would be looking at having to run the table in the toughest division in football this year if we lose this.

Generally true. I think a point a lot of people are missing is that we need this game a lot more than Iowa. It's effectively a playoff elimination game for us since we have a much tougher schedule the rest of the way. Iowa can still make the playoff with a loss if they win out and win the BCG. We would be looking at having to run the table in the toughest division in football this year if we lose this.
Regarding sentence 2 of your post: Tell that to Iowa.

We can't figure that out either.
Well he fumbled at least 2 times and Cain has impressed the coaches, never fumbles and blocks well. Fumbling is biggest sin in the book of Franklin. Lee also did a lot of dancing around the first 2 games turning short gains into losses.

Playing mistake free and confidently executed football with imagination, beats mistake-free and confidently executed unimaginative football every time.
Not being a smart ass because I completely agree, but copy/paste this for any game played by any team and you have the key to winning.

The key is mistake free! Although, there could be some danger in to much emphasis on not making mistakes. Can't let Iowa live in Clifford's head. Most of the time in games like this, it's better to just go for it. Be aggressive, don't be afraid of making mistakes.

Last edited:
Lee had an easy TD on the goal line stand but he chose to go outside rather than cut it back. Finding the open lane appears to be a mystery to our RB room.

Considering this is game 6 with our new OC, here’s hoping we get a repeat of game 6 in 2016 when things seemed to “click” with a new OC that year.
Your lips to Gods ear on offense.PSU has the defense

Actually the match up nobody is talking about is the lion defense against the Iowa offense. I actually think that match up might determine the game. But what I think means about as much as what anyone else thinks. Which is zero.

Go in depth. I think I'm with you. Our defense should dominate the Hawkeyes. True freshman and a redshirt freshman OLs could have nightmares all next week.

Mustipher is coming on. 6 tackles Saturday vs Indiana, second highest total on the team.

AK always brings the pressure. Luketa has been great on those bootlegs.

Which WR is going to step up? PBUs and INTs are up.

What if you play mistake-filled imaginative football? Is that better than mistake-filled unimaginative football?

"It's effectively a playoff elimination game for us"

You could not possibly be more wrong. In many respects, a loss to Iowa is meaningless. Our season (and CFP possibilities) will be determined by our games against Michigan, Ohio State, and MSU. (I am assuming we beat Illinois, Maryland, and Rutgers).

"It's effectively a playoff elimination game for us"

You could not possibly be more wrong. In many respects, a loss to Iowa is meaningless. Our season (and CFP possibilities) will be determined by our games against Michigan, Ohio State, and MSU. (I am assuming we beat Illinois, Maryland, and Rutgers).
If we beat all 3 of those teams it's meaningless. But no 2-loss team has made the CFP yet. What are the odds of going 3-0 against that schedule with trips to Ohio State and a much-improved Michigan State in late November? Beat Iowa and we can lose one of those and still have a shot at the playoff even if we drop one in the East. Lose to Iowa and there is no margin of error - we have to run the table and be conference champs.

The key is not fall asleep while Iowa plays grab you zone block ball and then screens you or tries to go up top once per drive. Iowa isn't the most boring team in cfb. That goes to Wisconsin but Iowa is 2nd or 3rd year in and year out. We all say Ferentz's schemes are similar to Paterno's but people forget Joe had some of the best talent in college football at times and would open it up ('86, '94, '05, '08) if he had the horses.

If I were looking at tape at Iowa, I would spread PSU's defense out and try to use the TE in one on ones early and also attempt to isolate a back on a LB. The downside is that may mean Brisker is on your TE and frankly Brisker is the best safety in cfb at this point. I would also run out of a 3-wide formation more in this game and force Jacobs to make plays on my backs. On D, we know Iowa will keep everything in front of them. The problem there is that MY feasts on soft zones because his scheme is intended to put a db in conflict on every play. As one announcer said of MY, he's diabolical, he's targeting your coverage, not simply running a play.

MY was run out of Oklahoma State. Fans couldn't stand his playcalling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT