ADVERTISEMENT

MSU over PSU in OT ice hockey

Lots of sports to follow tonight so all I know is the score. We lost 3-2 in a shoot out in OT.
Just got back from the game. Tough loss. PSU tied it with less than a minute left after they pulled the goalie for an extra attacker. In OT PSU had a power play for the last 1:43 and was close but just couldn't get it home. The shootout was kind of ugly. Oh well. Pretty physical game at times and PSU generally got the better of it. PSU got called for two embellishment penalties which resulted in offsetting minors. I've never heard booing that loud in the Pegula before. All in all it was a well played game.

Lots of sports to follow tonight so all I know is the score. We lost 3-2 in a shoot out in OT.

Just got back from the game. Tough loss. PSU tied it with less than a minute left after they pulled the goalie for an extra attacker. In OT PSU had a power play for the last 1:43 and was close but just couldn't get it home. The shootout was kind of ugly. Oh well. Pretty physical game at times and PSU generally got the better of it. PSU got called for two embellishment penalties which resulted in offsetting minors. I've never heard booing that loud in the Pegula before. All in all it was a well played game.

Just to clarify, the NCAA doesn't recognize shootouts, so last night's game goes into the record book as a tie, not a loss.

The shootout only establishes who gets an extra point in the Big Ten standings. Outside of the conference, it doesn't matter.

Just to clarify, the NCAA doesn't recognize shootouts, so last night's game goes into the record book as a tie, not a loss.

The shootout only establishes who gets an extra point in the Big Ten standings. Outside of the conference, it doesn't matter.
Thanks. I did not know that. It just so much felt like a "loss" that I called it one. The dreaded shootout.

Last edited:
On the positive side, the team looked like a completely different one than the team that played AIC and Mercyhurst. Much improved. And that was with both Autio and Smirnov out of the lineup. PSU was pretty sharp last night. So much better playing defense in their own zone.

"The truth is both teams played much better than they did last night and I'm extremely happy with our effort tonight." - Coach Gadowsky

Last edited:
Only 1 pt in the B1G standings instead of 3 or 2 (what MSU gets). That stinks but overall was an entertaining game. Best thing is team starting to play like they are capable of. 4 more games before team’s break, need to at a minimum split with Ohio State and sweep Robert Morris.

^ Didn’t see post above me. Great minds think alike. ;-)

Reactions: NittanyLionFan
Thanks. I did not know that. It just so much felt like a "loss" that I called it one. The dreaded shootout.

By pulling the goalie and tying the game with just 30 seconds on the clock, it should feel more like a win than a loss. We stole a point there. Even more importantly, we now have the advantage over Michigan State, a team that is, at least currently, ahead of us in the Pairwise Rankings (the rankings that determine NCAA bids). Earning, and keeping, that advantage (meaning we'll need a split in East Lansing) could be extremely important come bid time. We're rapidly moving back up the Pairwise. The next step is at least a split, but hopefully a sweep, in Columbus against Ohio State next weekend.

Notre Dame swept Minny at home and has 19 p and tOSU swept UM. ND has established itself as the favorite.
By pulling the goalie and tying the game with just 30 seconds on the clock, it should feel more like a win than a loss. We stole a point there. Even more importantly, we now have the advantage over Michigan State, a team that is, at least currently, ahead of us in the Pairwise Rankings (the rankings that determine NCAA bids). Earning, and keeping, that advantage (meaning we'll need a split in East Lansing) could be extremely important come bid time. We're rapidly moving back up the Pairwise. The next step is at least a split, but hopefully a sweep, in Columbus against Ohio State next weekend.
Points well taken. PSU, however, was the better team last night even though the game ended in a tie. Also, we sit in perfect position to see how close PSU was to scoring the winner in OT when it had the power play. I think that played into it as well. In any event, it is a long season and the team is playing much better. By the way, I'm a little surprised that Ohio State took both games against UM in Ann Arbor this weekend.

Notre Dame swept Minny at home and has 19 p and tOSU swept UM. ND has established itself as the favorite.

Points well taken. PSU, however, was the better team last night even though the game ended in a tie. Also, we sit in perfect position to see how close PSU was to scoring the winner in OT when it had the power play. I think that played into it as well. In any event, it is a long season and the team is playing much better. By the way, I'm a little surprised that Ohio State took both games against UM in Ann Arbor this weekend.

What's also important is to maintain a top four standing in the Big Ten rankings. The Big Ten Tournament will no longer be played at a neutral site. Games will be held on campus at the higher seed's home ice. Top seed gets a bye. Second through fourth host a three game quarterfinal round. Winners advance to a single elimination semifinal final round, then a single elimination final game all at the higher seed's ice. Top four are currently - Notre Dame, Minnesota, Penn State, and Wisconsin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT