ADVERTISEMENT

Mizzou vs Va Tech

I didn’t doubt you had your source, I guess I’m just shocked that Star was ranked 5 coming into a year with no matches other than redshirt. Same with Cenzo at 8.

Just goes to show..anything is possible.

I don’t recall Jason or Bo being ranked that high after their redshirt years (1st or 2nd match in) Maybe they were?
The date of the Indiana match is January 30. I’d be surprised if this would have been the first match of C*’s season. He had 2.5 months worth of opportunities to build up his ranking. Or, was he out due to injury leading up to this? Which year did he win NCAA’s with a broken and heavily bandaged hand?

The date of the Indiana match is January 30. I’d be surprised if this would have been the first match of C*’s season. He had 2.5 months worth of opportunities to build up his ranking. Or, was he out due to injury leading up to this? Which year did he win NCAA’s with a broken and heavily bandaged hand?
The season started in late January that year because of Covid.

It was his first official match of his career. It was the delayed start season due to Covid

Reactions: dpd926
Jason was 3rd when he pinned Martinez. Zain was 8th when he beat Stieber.
Not applicable. Of course they move up after they beat those guys.

Basically what we’ve learned in this thread is Carter Starocci was ranked as high as #5 without wrestling an official match in the blue and white singlet. And Cenzo as high as 7 (?) after 1 match in the blue and white

Basically what we’ve learned in this thread is Carter Starocci was ranked as high as #5 without wrestling an official match in the blue and white singlet. And Cenzo as high as 7 (?) after 1 match in the blue and white
Rankers are happy to use redshirt year results. Explains Scuffle Champ Carter well enough. I honestly can’t remember much of Cenzo’s RS results, but I’d assume something of similar caliber.

One interesting line of inquiry may be to see which of our major studs ascended to 1st the fastest. I’d guess Nolf—but maybe DT? None faster than Crookham, I’d imagine.

Reactions: Ski and pish69
I don’t recall Jason or Bo being ranked that high after their redshirt years (1st or 2nd match in) Maybe they were?
It's time to just set a standard to avoid future embarrassment. All incoming freshman PSU starters should default to at least a standard #8 AA ranking for their first match. ;-)

Reactions: pish69

Those were their rankings prior to those wins, and the point was those were the rankings when they got into the conference schedule.

Not sure what other opens Carter won during his redshirt year(Edinboro maybe) but winning the scuffle,(when it was actually a competitive tournament )was a tremendous accomplishment for a first year kid. Is there any other Lions who can say this? Carter very much deserved the #5 rank,the loss to DW was indeed a fluke and had the match been 30 seconds longer it wouldnt have been a loss at all IIRC.

Reactions: lockhavenlion3
When looking back at matches like tou were for their rankings, don't they list thier final ranking in all the past records for that year?

For example if you look up college football ball scores, penn state lost to tOSU they were ranked 7th iirc bit if you look at it now it shows there current rank? Doesn't this happen in wrestling as well?

Not sure what other opens Carter won during his redshirt year(Edinboro maybe) but winning the scuffle,(when it was actually a competitive tournament )was a tremendous accomplishment for a first year kid. Is there any other Lions who can say this? Carter very much deserved the #5 rank,the loss to DW was indeed a fluke and had the match been 30 seconds longer it wouldnt have been a loss at all IIRC.
I remember him winning the Clarion Open his RS year. That one always sticks out because of the helmet!

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
yep. the ref allowed washington to stall the entire 3rd period. should have been hit with a point, and carter wins in ov,t no doubt. think he may have been down @10-1. was coming on like a freight train.

Here is a link to the Cornell/VaTech dual. Shapiro and Andonian started with fireworks and ended with what appears to be a serious knee injury for Andonian. Very unfortunate….

Reactions: Split shot
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT