ADVERTISEMENT

Mitchell Mesenbrink

Do you have any idea how much $ that family has? $250K is a rounding error.
Doubt it, but it's not like PSU offered $0. How much, who knows?

Just for argument's sake; 4 years at .5 scholy = 4 x $30k = $120k assuming he can win a start. NIL is up to him and the collective let's say 4 x $10k = $40k. We're are at $160k without breaking a sweat. Future NLWC stipend is also up to him.

I think Cael has an element of you have to earn your scholy amount. I believe, "with no evidence to support this", he guarantees a minimum say .6 if you AA, and more of your are top 4, and yet more for a NC. All forward looking of course. I don't think anyone gets a full ride in the door. I believe Ed Ruth said he got .8.

IMO the whole money, bag, package, slush funds, buying recruits thing at any of the top programs is waaaay overblown.

The kids that ultimately choose PSU, do so because of Cael, the program, and training partners. Simply stated, PSU doesn't need to be the high bidder for the kind of kids Cael wants. The most serious wrestlers have their priorities straight. Suck on that HR.

I’d be perfectly happy with Chris Cannon if Nagao is out of the picture. A Blair kid with 2 more years at a need weight. A past AA who will solidify our dual lineup. His NCAA performance this year looked a little flukish given his solid Big 10 tournament.
Sounds like Nagao is taking the Iowa money. Cannon visiting the good guys today, I’ll bet we get him soon

Reactions: Phoenix lion
Sounds like Nagao is taking the Iowa money. Cannon visiting the good guys today, I’ll bet we get him soon
There are plenty of reasons to go to Iowa other than money.

I know their fans like to pretend otherwise, but they've done just fine with collecting talent. Especially at 141 lbs/65 kgs and under.

There are plenty of reasons to go to Iowa other than money.

I know their fans like to pretend otherwise, but they've done just fine with collecting talent. Especially at 141 lbs/65 kgs and under.
so if money is not an issue or determining factor, one would choose Iowa and the brands bros instead of Penn State and their coaching staff? just wondering what those reasons would be.

Reactions: crockster
so if money is not an issue or determining factor, one would choose Iowa and the brands bros instead of Penn State and their coaching staff? just wondering what those reasons would be.
I mean...yeah. That's one of them. The Brands are very good wrestling coaches. I would hope this is a generally accepted fact around here.

Clearly they have a very different style of coaching and management than Cael and Crew. But that style seems to be attractive to some.

I think that visit was already on his schedule. If PSU isn't the perfect fit for him (team need, faith, goals, best program, temperament,...), count me as amazed.

I have little doubt they will out bid us, and after hearing his interview, if the money sways him, he's not the right fit after all.

Cael playing 9D chess. Rules change and riding ability devalued equals moving on from Nagao to Cannon. Sarcasm font kind of .

I can't find much on Mesenbrink. Can someone explain why he is/might be an upgrade to Facundo? I thought Facundo had really good moments throughout the season. Just didn't finish strong, which isn't irregular for freshmen.

Not trying to shit on Mesenbrink, but I just can't find much about him and don't understand the hype.

I can't find much on Mesenbrink. Can someone explain why he is/might be an upgrade to Facundo? I thought Facundo had really good moments throughout the season. Just didn't finish strong, which isn't irregular for freshmen.

Not trying to shit on Mesenbrink, but I just can't find much about him and don't understand the hype.
He beat Levi Haines to win a spot on the u20 world team last year and then won silver at worlds. There’s a lot of info out there about him.

Reactions: Thatswhatwedo
Doubt it, but it's not like PSU offered $0. How much, who knows?

Just for argument's sake; 4 years at .5 scholy = 4 x $30k = $120k assuming he can win a start. NIL is up to him and the collective let's say 4 x $10k = $40k. We're are at $160k without breaking a sweat. Future NLWC stipend is also up to him.

I think Cael has an element of you have to earn your scholy amount. I believe, "with no evidence to support this", he guarantees a minimum say .6 if you AA, and more of your are top 4, and yet more for a NC. All forward looking of course. I don't think anyone gets a full ride in the door. I believe Ed Ruth said he got .8.

IMO the whole money, bag, package, slush funds, buying recruits thing at any of the top programs is waaaay overblown.

The kids that ultimately choose PSU, do so because of Cael, the program, and training partners. Simply stated, PSU doesn't need to be the high bidder for the kind of kids Cael wants. The most serious wrestlers have their priorities straight. Suck on that HR.
Cael tells them you wanna wrestle and win come here,no money sorry.Have a geat day!

I mean...yeah. That's one of them. The Brands are very good wrestling coaches. I would hope this is a generally accepted fact around here.

Clearly they have a very different style of coaching and management than Cael and Crew. But that style seems to be attractive to some.
“Peaking is a state of mind”

That philosophy AINT WORKIN

Their philosophy is PART of their coaching isnt it?

I dont consider that good coaching

If i remember correctly, big if, didn't Haines have to wrestle extra matches and wasn't Mesenbrink just waiting in the finals? So Mesenbrink was much more rested.

You are correct.

I should also note that Facundo also has a couple of world age-group medals.

I'm not suggesting that Mesenbrink is better than either, just that he's very, very good.

If Cael thinks there's a spot in the room for him, I'm good with that.

I dont see anyone shitting on either guy

Best man wins, right? Alex will have the opportunity too show us who’s better.

You are correct.

I should also note that Facundo also has a couple of world age-group medals.

I'm not suggesting that Mesenbrink is better than either, just that he's very, very good.

If Cael thinks there's a spot in the room for him, I'm good with that.
More than just results, Askren has said MM wrestles more like him than anyone he’s had in that club. Not better than KOT, never says that, but they call him Little Ben on FRL sometimes. I guess his pace and attack rate is incredible.

giphy.gif
What does Jaden Cox have too do with this?

Not picking on you as there are so many wrestlers being hyped these days because there are so many great young wrestlers. This will seem really funny to you about 3 years from now. He is a point scoring machine and the ultimate definition of a risk taking point scorer. He didn't get a ton of early hype because most of his greatest results are in the very recent past. His best results are in front of him.

these iowa guys are all wrong Cael told mess if he comes here he will give him half ownership of the school and all money made from the PSU football games!SATISFIED??

only want portal guys where we don't have a returning starter.
PSU has had Kerkvliet and Dean transfer in pre-NIL under Cael. One replaced an AA starter.

Are you saying only use NIL where PSU doesn't have a returning starter? If so, I respectfully disagree.

Using the best information at the time, put the best team on the mat and seek to continually improve it year-over-year, strategically using the available budgeted resources. Then let the chips fall where they may, no bad feelings, no regrets, learn from the past and adjust moving forward.

With NIL and the transfer portal any HS commit could move on whether or not they fail to start or lose their starting position.

Wrestling is an individual competitive sport. Undercutting its most basic tenet by limiting competition for any starting position just doesn't jive with this wrestling core value.

“Peaking is a state of mind”

That philosophy AINT WORKIN

Their philosophy is PART of their coaching isnt it?

I dont consider that good coaching
Tom Brands (with Terry as his main assistant) is the second most successful NCAA wrestling coach of the last 15 years or so. But you don't think he's a good coach?

Tom Brands (with Terry as his main assistant) is the second most successful NCAA wrestling coach of the last 15 years or so. But you don't think he's a good coach?
Of course he’s a good coach.

Question comes down to, all else equal, does he provide anything that several others do not? Not that he’s good or not, but whether the value add is there sans a different nudge (like NIL exceeding other places).

I think he does provide that value in 2007. I don’t know that he does now.

PSU has had Kerkvliet and Dean transfer in pre-NIL under Cael. One replaced an AA starter.

Are you saying only use NIL where PSU doesn't have a returning starter? If so, I respectfully disagree.

Using the best information at the time, put the best team on the mat and seek to continually improve it year-over-year, strategically using the available budgeted resources. Then let the chips fall where they may, no bad feelings, no regrets, learn from the past and adjust moving forward.

With NIL and the transfer portal any HS commit could move on whether or not they fail to start or lose their starting position.

Wrestling is an individual competitive sport. Undercutting its most basic tenet by limiting competition for any starting position just doesn't jive with this wrestling core value.
Didn't both Kerk and Dean replace AA starters? In any event, you're probably right, but I still felt bad for Nevills and Beard.

Don't want Mesenbrink, only want portal guys where we don't have a returning starter. Truax is great! Nagao would be great! I am more than fine with Alex at 165!!
Something tells me that if we are in on Messenbrink then either on of the following could be possible:
1) ORS for someone
2) Carter is moving on and not worried about college anymore, facundo moves up and Levi/messenbrink are 157/165
3) Levi is RS and messenbrink handles 57
4) Facundo is having surgery and may be recovering (skeptical due to the injury he suffered during the year, since we don’t hear much pure skepticism)

LOL name one??
Well they got Spencer who was pretty much a guaranteed 4 time champion and they managed 3 titles.
The got Real Woods who was the 141 pound favorite and they developed him into a solid finalist and runner-up.
They brought in 3 time AA Eierman who was gonna win 2 titles and they developed him into a one time finalist, runner-up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT