Bartlett
SVN
Haines
Mesenbrink
Starocci
Brooks
Truax
Kerkvleit

That might be the best lineup of all time. You could make a legit argument that they place 9 guys in the top 3. Then you have Lilledahl, Sealey, Ryder, Gibson and the Mirasolas coming in...
A little early to begin to count Facundo out. I know he didn't finish strong at NCAAs, but he had a solid freshman year and will only get better, The better wrestler will prevail.

A little early to begin to count Facundo out. I know he didn't finish strong at NCAAs, but he had a solid freshman year and will only get better, The better wrestler will prevail.
He ain't beating Mesenbrink

Do Not Engage Lou Diamond Phillips GIF by ProdigalSonFox

Lol. Ya know...I've been thinking, it's time we...the board...move you up in ranking. Not quite to the cool group yet but close. And I think we graduate you to the next step....move you up the "man ladder" from White Claw to Bud Light.

How does that sound kiddo?
Have you been following what’s going on with Bud Light this week? Don’t see this as a step up for McPat.

Yes I have been following it. Lol. It was somewhat of a joke.... that even Bud Light is a step up from White Claw. :)
No, no, no, no . . . no . . . no — not Bud Light, never Bud Light.

Maybe Meister Brau, Beast Lite, even Piels . . . anything but Bud Light.

EDIT: Just looked up whatever the Bud Light controversy was — my comment has nothing to do with that and everything to do with a longtime position against that particular beer.

I'll call it now, and could have egg on my face even as early as tonight, but I think Mesenbrink goes elsewhere.

The need on our side isn't itnearly strong enough. In think we don't have much of the 9.9 available and Cael won't take some of what he has offered to Facundo. I think Nagao is the priority there as well. He also will say it's up to Mitch to earn a spot, and drive his own NIL value.

On balance there will be several other schools where he is a day 1 guaranteed starter and he will probably get a sweet financial package.

I think it will end where both sides exists a strong interest, but other situations will win out. The only thing that would change my mind is if Facundo has told Cael he's not happy here, I don't think that is the case at all.

PS for the doubters, Alex is 'going to be fine'. He is developing a little slower to plan, but he will AA next year for sure. IMO.

PS - Nagao is a slam dunk.

Last edited:
I will say, I would much rather we fill our holes at 133 and 184/197 (wherever AB isn't) first. A crowded house full of boys usually results in a mess. Cael always has a plan, but a room in disharmony is never a good thing.
Let's hope so. Aaron at 97, AJ at 97 for Iowa. Repeats bo's planting. Or better yet, Jason's raking.

I'll call it now, and could have egg on my face even as early as tonight, but I think Mesenbrink goes elsewhere.

The need on our side isn't itnearly strong enough. In think we don't have much of the 9.9 available and Cael won't take some of what he has offered to Facundo. I think Nagao is the priority there as well. He also will say it's up to Mitch to earn a spot, and drive his own NIL value.

On balance there will be several other schools where he is a day 1 guaranteed starter and he will probably get a sweet financial package.

I think it will end where both sides exists a strong interest, but other situations will win out. The only thing that would change my mind is if Facundo has told Cael he's not happy here, I don't think that is the case at all.

PS for the doubters, Alex is 'going to be fine'. He is developing a little slower to plan, but he will AA next year for sure. IMO.

PS - Nagao is a slam dunk.
I think the biggest thing you are discounting is the NLWC and Mesenbrink’s freestyle aspirations. He wants to be a world and Olympic champion and the NLWC is the place to be for that to happen. He might have an easier way onto a lineup elsewhere but kids at this level believe in themselves and I’m sure he believes he will win a spot. He might not come here for reasons you listed but I think he does. It’s absolutely the best place for him to reach his goals

If Mesenbrink does indeed commit to the Lions, Askren’s “slush fund“ compensation negotiations must have gone well. One could assume his salary, commissions and bonus package is probably commensurate to Willie’s at this time.

There are many schools he could attend where 165 would be his without much of a challenge, but his other top pick has KOT there and that is a really big obstacle. The young man has Senior World title dreams and NLWC is the best place to see these dreams come true. If your true goal is world and olympic titles you won't worry about winning a starting spot.

If Mesenbrink does indeed commit to the Lions, Askren’s “slush fund“ compensation negotiations must have gone well. One could assume his salary, commissions and bonus package is probably commensurate to Willie’s at this time.
I thought he did commit?

Ugh, I jumped the gun. I thought I read he committed.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT