Bartlett
SVN
Haines
Mesenbrink
Starocci
Brooks
Truax
Kerkvleit

That might be the best lineup of all time. You could make a legit argument that they place 9 guys in the top 3. Then you have Lilledahl, Sealey, Ryder, Gibson and the Mirasolas coming in...
Woah. If this happens...

Howard
Nagao
Bartlett
SVN
Haines
Mesenbrink
Starocci
Brooks
Truax
Kerkvleit

That might be the best lineup of all time. You could make a legit argument that they place 9 guys in the top 3. Then you have Lilledahl, Sealey, Ryder, Gibson and the Mirasolas coming in...
yea they could break the all time scoring record put iowa 2nd again!!LOL LOVE IT!!

Criminy fellas.
We cant have everybody ... can we?

Will there be any sport left.
I often find myself in such a debate, knowing that parity is better for the sport and makes winning more fun. But then I also think about how enjoyable it would be to see Cael & Co. totally and completely break Iowa and a large faction of the GIA crowd. Smoking them in the transfer game (on top of everything else) would pretty much do the trick. If only there was a way to do so while making all the other teams better, too . . . 🤔

But then I also think about entertainment for the newbie fans who are dipping a toe. 99.9% of them could simply observe the behavior of the coaches over a 30-second period of any match and know who is who in the battle of good vs. evil. That kind of polarization creates emotion, which is the hook-set.

In the end, it will be less fun if Iowa is less competitive.

These are the things that keep me awake at night. 🤭

I often find myself in such a debate, knowing that parity is better for the sport and makes winning more fun. But then I also think about how enjoyable it would be to see Cael & Co. totally and completely break Iowa and a large faction of the GIA crowd. Smoking them in the transfer game (on top of everything else) would pretty much do the trick. If only there was a way to do so while making all the other teams better, too . . . 🤔

But then I also think about entertainment for the newbie fans who are dipping a toe. 99.9% of them could simply observe the behavior of the coaches over a 30-second period of any match and know who is who in the battle of good vs. evil. That kind of polarization creates emotion, which is the hook-set.

In the end, it will be less fun if Iowa is less competitive.

These are the things that keep me awake at night. 🤭
I get a tremendous amount of entertainment from Iowa struggling to compete for 3rd place.

Last edited:
I very, very much want us to break the all-time scoring record.
But we could end up like James Coburn in The Magnificent Seven.

But if he is the best with a gun and with a knife, with whom does he compete?
Only himself.

Reactions: slushhead
I will say, I would much rather we fill our holes at 133 and 184/197 (wherever AB isn't) first. A crowded house full of boys usually results in a mess. Cael always has a plan, but a room in disharmony is never a good thing.

@GogglesPaizano says we’d still need Hopke 😄
Yep, I guess remain on that train alone. I am not waivering one bit.

I like the idea of the larger Marisola brother bulking up for the next two years, but I am far from sold on that being our answer.

Hopke is probably 50/50 going football, and I think he leans west of state college as well, but he is the best prospect out there by a good margin IMO.

I am also a little skeptical we get more than 1 more year out of Kerk, especially when he wins one next year.

Lets just pick up Nagano at 133 and Truax to wrestle 184 and Brooks to go 197. Brooks seems small for 197, but for the Olympics he has to go 86kg, so he might as well bulk up!!!!!

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
Yep, I guess remain on that train alone. I am not waivering one bit.

I like the idea of the larger Marisola brother bulking up for the next two years, but I am far from sold on that being our answer.

Hopke is probably 50/50 going football, and I think he leans west of state college as well, but he is the best prospect out there by a good margin IMO.

I am also a little skeptical we get more than 1 more year out of Kerk, especially when he wins one next year.
Hopke is wrestling only in college, no football. Has narrowed down to 4 schools, won't publicize his list, but has taken officials to Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Strongly suspect we're not one of the other 2 schools. And that's OK -- Cole Mirasola has had similar results vs. common opponents despite being a 195.

Reactions: zzs006 and Ja1339
I'm all for Brooks bumping up. How do we feel about Ryder? Is he going to go right away?

Hopke is wrestling only in college, no football. Has narrowed down to 4 schools, won't publicize his list, but has taken officials to Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Strongly suspect we're not one of the other 2 schools. And that's OK -- Cole Mirasola has had similar results vs. common opponents despite being a 195.

Would be shocked if it's anywhere but Minnesota especially with Gable returning.

I don't think he is a legitimate D1 football prospect either. I don't see a recruiting profile for him anywhere.

Would be shocked if it's anywhere but Minnesota especially with Gable returning.

I don't think he is a legitimate D1 football prospect either. I don't see a recruiting profile for him anywhere.
My only question there then is whether McEnelly goes 84 and Nelson goes 97. Because if not then Minnesota has a weird situation to sort out.

I wouldn't count on the Gable Returning angle -- maybe for a few months, but not for 5+ years consistently. OTOH, Zillmer and Nelson are both there, which makes the Goofer RTC among the better HWT training options.

Wisconsin seems like a poor HWT training environment, though he'd definitely start right away if that's important to him.

No idea what his other 2 schools are, but Arizona State and Missouri (at least) will both need HWTs and IMO are better training options than Wisconsin. Can also think of another school that thinks they have a stud HWT, but probably won't when reality sets in.

I wouldn't count on the Gable Returning angle -- maybe for a few months, but not for 5+ years consistently. OTOH, Zillmer and Nelson are both there, which makes the Goofer RTC among the better HWT training options.

Wisconsin seems like a poor HWT training environment, though he'd definitely start right away if that's important to him.

No idea what his other 2 schools are, but Arizona State and Missouri (at least) will both need HWTs and IMO are better training options than Wisconsin. Can also think of another school that thinks they have a stud HWT, but probably won't when reality sets in.
Michigan could make a ton of sense also. Unless I’m missing when they got a heavy commit. PSU could make sense fit wise but I think the plan is one of the Mirasolas will go heavy as many mentioned and I imagine the scholarship cost for them was significantly less than Hopke, who certainly will command a full.

Michigan could make a ton of sense also. Unless I’m missing when they got a heavy commit. PSU could make sense fit wise but I think the plan is one of the Mirasolas will go heavy as many mentioned and I imagine the scholarship cost for them was significantly less than Hopke, who certainly will command a full.
Yep, them too. I had forgotten how many (how few) years Davison has left.

And, yes, the PSU plan is for Connor at 197, Cole at HWT. This seems realistic, given they went 182 and 195 this year (with 2 yrs HS remaining).

And, yes, the PSU plan is for Connor at 197, Cole at HWT. This seems realistic, given they went 182 and 195 this year (with 2 yrs HS remaining).
@El-Jefe , Would you assume Ryder at 184, or he and Connor compete for 197?

It will all prove out in the room, but it seems we will probably lose 1-2 blue chippers to the portal in the next few years. I'm ok with that. If you can't beat the best you can't be a national champ, and if we have a couple of elite #2s, they should get their chance at NIL and another program.

As long they aren't on my black list.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU

One HS year remaining

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT