ADVERTISEMENT

Missile strikes in Syria?

Yes. Trump just had a brief live speech on the tele. Striking chemical production facilities.

Yes. Trump just had a brief live speech on the tele. Striking chemical production facilities.

Good. Sucks we have to fill this role, but the world needs our leadership in not standing idly by while civilians are slaughtered with chemical weapons. And yes, I know atrocities happen all over the world and are we going to be the police, blah blah. My answer is yes we are, us and the rest of the peace and freedom loving world. At least I hope so, because if we don't, the void will be filled alternatively.

Good. Sucks we have to fill this role, but the world needs our leadership in not standing idly by while civilians are slaughtered with chemical weapons. And yes, I know atrocities happen all over the world and are we going to be the police, blah blah. My answer is yes we are, us and the rest of the peace and freedom loving world. At least I hope so, because if we don't, the void will be filled alternatively.
It will be good if it causes some change. A big if.

Reactions: TheGLOV and wbcincy
You probably believe the Russian angle which claims Britain did the gassing. ;>)

We're finding out freedom comes with a price, to the tune of $20T and counting. Why pay the price. Well, I dunno. Start by answering the question, why do so many people want to come here.

Fact of the matter is, life is cheap beyond our borders. There are more authoritarian regimes out there than you can shake a stick at. We've become so insulated from it we take our individual freedoms for granted as much as getting electricity when turning on the switch. Time to put some sweat equity into the game, folks. Let Assad and Kim serve as reminders. Freedom isn't free.

My only question is, where pray tell is Germany in this "coalition?" The largest economy in Europe, yes? It is not hyperbolic to compare the actions of Assad to The Holocaust. And yet once again here is Germany, sitting back and allowing it to happen. Presumably because they like the Iran Nuke deal. Well birds of a feather flock together, and if you're in bed with Iran then guess what. You're also in bed with Hezbolla. Last time I checked that's a terrorist organization.

As for Iran, it only understands the force of the boot. Oblige them. Lastly, there are limits to keeping such a topic apolitical. Best we can do is put our difference aside and stand united in the face of blood-sucking evil. Sometimes you gotta take a life in order to save one.

Thank you. I'll see myself out.

Good question on Germany. Merkel said Germany agreed there’s a need to send a signal that use of chemical weapons was not acceptable...... but their military willl not take part in any strikes.

Oh, but there is something of Germany that is taking part in the conflict. It’s the German parts to construct the missiles that Syria used to deliver the chemical weapons. ‘Made in Germany’ was stamped on the missile wreckage.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/0...tack-rockets-made-in-germany-report-says.html

Reactions: GregInPitt
Yep. He was either lying/insincere or now being manipulated. Very simply , we are a vassal of Israel who doesn’t want stability in the region and so provides us with the intelligence to identify targets. 100’s of billions of dollars in order to provide radical islamists the chance to keep Assad from power. Great!

To quote George Washington in ‘Hamilton’ - ‘Winning is easy; governing’s harder.’

Reactions: nits74
To quote George Washington in ‘Hamilton’ - ‘Winning is easy; governing’s harder.’

hamilton.jpg

I will dash out of this thread ASAP, and won't be back, lest I piss Tom off. We should all act out of respect for Tom.

Only statement: cherry picking and name calling isn't 'political discussion', unless you're on an elementary school playground.

Carry on!

Reactions: bison13
To keep things on topic, some stuff that's out there:

- Russia warned in advance of strikes (per Reuters)

- France and the UK part of the strike coalition

- CNN has video of a few missiles being intercepted mid-air

- Research facility hit and destroyed

Reactions: eidolon21

From Reuters:

But the Western powers were at pains to avert any further escalation, including any unexpected conflict with their superpower rival. French Defense Minister Florence Parly said the Russians “were warned beforehand” to avert conflict.

A senior official in a regional alliance that backs Damascus told Reuters the Syrian government and its allies had “absorbed” the attack. The sites that were targeted had been evacuated days ago thanks to a warning from Russia, the official said.

Reactions: eidolon21
From Reuters:

But the Western powers were at pains to avert any further escalation, including any unexpected conflict with their superpower rival. French Defense Minister Florence Parly said the Russians “were warned beforehand” to avert conflict.

A senior official in a regional alliance that backs Damascus told Reuters the Syrian government and its allies had “absorbed” the attack. The sites that were targeted had been evacuated days ago thanks to a warning from Russia, the official said.
Russia warned them? The coalition said they were going to strike days ago.

Russia warned them? The coalition said they were going to strike days ago.

With regard to specific targets, so they could be evacuated. Or were specific targets part of a coalition warning (that the US has apparently denied in the Business Insider link provided earlier in this thread)?

With regard to specific targets, so they could be evacuated. Or were specific targets part of a coalition warning (that the US has apparently denied in the Business Insider link provided earlier in this thread)?
Proverbial shot across the bow. It was an escalation after they crossed the'red line' a few years back and nothing was done.

Reactions: todd brewster
Proverbial shot across the bow. It was an escalation after they crossed the'red line' a few years back and nothing was done.

Previous efforts didn't have the same support; the UK parliament and our own Congress disapproved of military action. Our President at the time felt their buy in was important and necessary to act. Not quite the same President (same Congress mostly, just bending the knee this time around...).

Previous efforts didn't have the same support; the UK parliament and our own Congress disapproved of military action. Our President at the time felt their buy in was important and necessary to act. Not quite the same President (same Congress mostly, just bending the knee this time around...).
Yep. Not saying it is wrong or right.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Yep. He was either lying/insincere or now being manipulated. Very simply , we are a vassal of Israel who doesn’t want stability in the region and so provides us with the intelligence to identify targets. 100’s of billions of dollars in order to provide radical islamists the chance to keep Assad from power. Great!

BSJ_Loon_Last_img_3.jpg

My point was there is a reason action wasn’t taken previously. Certainly, things change.
Agree. Sadly the politicians spin. Those who were against years ago are for today. Those who were for years ago are against today. If that isn't evidence to stop aligning with either party people will never see it (the manipulation). It is incredible to me that people can't see it.

Agree. Sadly the politicians spin. Those who were against years ago are for today. Those who were for years ago are against today. If that isn't evidence to stop aligning with either party people will never see it (the manipulation). It is incredible to me that people can't see it.

People do, but if/until there is campaign reform, special interests will continue to drive the narrative. That includes the media. Until then, it's going with what you can tolerate morally (IMO).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT