ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan's offense does not have a prayer against our Defense...

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
This is not an overconfidence post. This is based on observation. We will force the Michigan QB to beat us and he simply can't. He's not good enough at this point in his career.

We will be fired up for Saturday night. White out game. Revenge game for the thrashing they gave us last season. A RESPECT game. Everyone loves Harbaugh and no one is giving us our due. Every other team passes "the eye test" but us. Their Defense was anointed "best in the land" and ours is only just beginning to get some notice. Our D is out to prove something this weekend. Coming off a bye week with plenty of time to gameplan.

This game won't be close.

Penn State 34, scUM 13

WE ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is not an overconfidence post. This is based on observation. We will force the Michigan QB to beat us and he simply can't. He's not good enough at this point in his career.

We will be fired up for Saturday night. White out game. Revenge game for the thrashing they gave us last season. A RESPECT game. Everyone loves Harbaugh and no one is giving us our due. Every other team passes "the eye test" but us. Their Defense was anointed "best in the land" and ours is only just beginning to get some notice. Our D is out to prove something this weekend. Coming off a bye week with plenty of time to gameplan.

Penn State 34, scUM 13

WE ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you are on to the two keys of the game. UM OL+TE vs our front 7, and our OL+TE vs the UM front 7.

first few games this year we were not good vs the power running move the chains offenses. even GS moved the chains. it looks like we corrected that the last 3 games. OKorn is a different type QB. sometimes he hits a pass that is kind of shocking like when he bailed UM out on a 3rd down pass scrambling out of a sack. he is very inconsistent as a passer and depends on the UM OL not being called for holding during pass plays. yesterday UM was getting called. you are right that we appear to be able to stop their run. this is probably the key to the game.

i made a bet yesterday with a UM alum that we have more total offensive yards this year vs last year. he thinks UM will hold us to fewer yards this year.

Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy

Penn State 34, scUM 13

UM will try to stop the run and pressure McSorley. PSU should eventually get a few big plays and score. The good guys win as long as they don't turn the ball over.

Penn State 34, scUM 13

I thought Indiana pounded on Michigan in that game. Hurst and Gary were gassed late in the 4th quarter. Meanwhile, PS rested. Something to watch for.

you are on to the two keys of the game. UM OL+TE vs our front 7, and our OL+TE vs the UM front 7.

first few games this year we were not good vs the power running move the chains offenses. even GS moved the chains. it looks like we corrected that the last 3 games. OKorn is a different type QB. sometimes he hits a pass that is kind of shocking like when he bailed UM out on a 3rd down pass scrambling out of a sack. he is very inconsistent as a passer and depends on the UM OL not being called for holding during pass plays. yesterday UM was getting called. you are right that we appear to be able to stop their run. this is probably the key to the game.

i made a bet yesterday with a UM alum that we have more total offensive yards this year vs last year. he thinks UM will hold us to fewer yards this year.
"This is based on observation".
Is that the same as looks test?

I thought Indiana pounded on Michigan in that game. Hurst and Gary were gassed late in the 4th quarter. Meanwhile, PS rested. Something to watch for.
I also think UM got a physical and mental pounding at Indiana. This should help us, Saturday night. We need to beat them early and often so we are a little rested for the Shoe. I think a knock down drag out fight against UM leaves us short of gas going into Columbus.

Reactions: BoulderFish
If Michigan coaches decide to stop trying to be "balanced," drop the spread all together and go old school I formation double tight.....it could be interesting. They could essentially run ISO, POT, Toss Sweep, with Play Action. This might keep the ball away from PSU and make it near impossible to get more than a one score lead.
I don't underestimate their defense, which is very physical up front and their ability to be road graders on offense. Their field goal kicker is a big difference maker in a close game.
The confidence I have is more attributable to the mistakes and penalties that seem to plague them and will hopefully continue and multiply in the white out atmosphere.

Penn State 34, scUM 13

Spot on, IMHO. Unless PSU gets bitten by the turnover bug, I cannot see the Michigan O scoring more than 14 points. They will do their best to take away SB, but PSU has more than enough other playmakers on O.

PSU 31, UM 13 and hopefully no injuries.

I think it depends whether we can score and also keep the D line fresh. Harbaugh seems to be reverting to the conservative run game that he had success with at Stanford. If our guys are on the field too long, they will eventually wear down and give up some longer runs. I expect an EXTREMELY physical game. I hope that our guys are mindful not to get to hyped up for the game, which could lead to personal foul penalties or otherwise give Michigan some easy plays.

I think it depends whether we can score and also keep the D line fresh. Harbaugh seems to be reverting to the conservative run game that he had success with at Stanford. If our guys are on the field too long, they will eventually wear down and give up some longer runs. I expect an EXTREMELY physical game. I hope that our guys are mindful not to get to hyped up for the game, which could lead to personal foul penalties or otherwise give Michigan some easy plays.
True but the difference is at Stanford he had Andrew luck and some ability to pass. They literally took the game out of okorn's hands yesterday, nothing but short passes. He looked like a poor mans max Browne.

UM looked pretty good running from the I Formation yesterday. We just need the OL to keep McSorely running for his life, and score early.

I think we have to stack the box and force O'Korn to beat us. For some reason, Harbaugh's tried to play all three of his RBs near evenly when Higdon is obviously the game breaker type his offense needs to flourish. I figure he might have this figured out just in time for our matchup. Either way, all of Michigan's backs are tough runners and break arm tackles. I'm curious how we deploy our DL depth against them. Any time we bring the pass rushers in, will they retaliate with running if it's attainable down and distance? (3rd and 6-8 vs 3rd and 10+)

I'm curious if we would possibly play a 4-4 look on 1st downs with Allen at OLB shading a TE to the field side? I'd go man up on all WRs, a strength of ours this year, and force every pass to be spot on or any receiver to win their matchup.

Offensively, Im extraordinarily piqued. I don't know what we will do in the beginning. I've run it through two scenarios and both are plausible. I think Michigan overloads us early. They are not going to respect our OL. We will have to make them pay for this. Gesicki down the seam. Hitches to WRs when CBs blitz. Anybody who vacates an area, attack it.

'm curious if we would possibly play a 4-4 look on 1st downs with Allen at OLB
I’m not sure about Allen at a hybrid OLB, if that means Apke in man coverage...

I'm curious how we deploy our DL depth against them.
One of my fears is that our D ends are too light for a dedicated inside run emphasis. They are great, but rely on quickness and athleticism and aren’t much in the way of an immovable object.

Bring Allen up tight and blitz the heck out of their OL. It’s subpar by scUM standards. QB is not mobile and prone to TO’s....

Well, he's stupid.

One of my fears is that our D ends are too light for a dedicated inside run emphasis. They are great, but rely on quickness and athleticism and aren’t much in the way of an immovable object.

Shaka Toney is undersized. Miller, Gross-Matos, Simmons and Bucholz run 257, 250, 250 and 275 respectively. When they play their package with Givens and Bucholz they have two DEs at 275+. Not sure what team in the country would have significantly heavier starting DEs. Maybe Iowa and.....?

Reactions: acg116
Shaka Toney is undersized. Miller, Gross-Matos, Simmons and Bucholz run 257, 250, 250 and 275 respectively. When they play their package with Givens and Bucholz they have two DEs at 275+. Not sure what team in the country would have significantly heavier starting DEs. Maybe Iowa and.....?
I think on obvious passing downs okorn is going to be in serious trouble.

I also think UM got a physical and mental pounding at Indiana. This should help us, Saturday night. We need to beat them early and often so we are a little rested for the Shoe. I think a knock down drag out fight against UM leaves us short of gas going into Columbus.

I'm not overly concerned about them being gassed for OSU. I'm more concerned they will be over hyped up, and have to calm themselves down a bit.

I think 275 for one DE position and 250 at the other may stand up to a physical run attack, but we only have Bucholz in the 275 area (not counting givens). I love our depth at DE and the fact that they each have their own strengths. I just think that the play of our D line (second only to our O line play) will decide the outcome on Saturday.

Clearly a transition year for UM losing 10 of 11 defenders and 7 on offense + Speight. And O'Korn is highly erratic. Good news for us is that our defense will keep us in most games, as it has thus far. If able to keep game close by limiting TO's, QNordin could be a difference maker. Wouldn't that be something? Big advantage to UM at kicker and Harbaugh's record and margin of victory vs CJF speaks for itself.

PSU's offense is dangerous to be sure but looked beatable at Iowa and NW, so nobody here is willing to concede anything just yet . 2 TD's + 4 Nordin FG's = UM 26 PSU 24. Looking forward to it!

Clearly a transition year for UM losing 10 of 11 defenders and 7 on offense + Speight. And O'Korn is highly erratic. Good news for us is that our defense will keep us in most games, as it has thus far. If able to keep game close by limiting TO's, QNordin could be a difference maker. Wouldn't that be something? Big advantage to UM at kicker and Harbaugh's record and margin of victory vs CJF speaks for itself.

PSU's offense is dangerous to be sure but looked beatable at Iowa and NW, so nobody here is willing to concede anything just yet . 2 TD's + 4 Nordin FG's = UM 26 PSU 24. Looking forward to it!
Harbaugh's record against CJF is nearly meaningless. Maybe less than meaningless.

But our LBs are going to cheat inside to help out. Should keep these gains <5 yards. I share your concern on this one.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Harbaugh's record and margin of victory vs CJF speaks for itself
Michigan beat Penn State 28 to 16 in 2015 when Penn State was still suffering from scholarship restrictions. In 2016, Michigan beat Penn State 49 to 10, but Penn State had their top three LB and a couple D linemen injured, and a walk on LB who was now starting ended up getting ejected due to a completely bogus targeting call. Certainly, Michigan won fair and square, but you are a fool if you believe that the “margin of victory” in these games is any indicator of which team is better today, which program is more elite, or whether CJF or Harbaugh is the better coach.

Also, Michigan does have a couple guys on their roster that Penn State fans lament losing out on... these would be Gary and Hudson, not some kicker that was won over when your coach had a sleep over at his house.

Michigan beat Penn State 28 to 16 in 2015 when Penn State was still suffering from scholarship restrictions. In 2016, Michigan beat Penn State 49 to 10, but Penn State had their top three LB and a couple D linemen injured, and a walk on LB who was now starting ended up getting ejected due to a completely bogus targeting call. Certainly, Michigan won fair and square, but you are a fool if you believe that the “margin of victory” in these games is any indicator of which team is better today, which program is more elite, or whether CJF or Harbaugh is the better coach.

Also, Michigan does have a couple guys on their roster that Penn State fans lament losing out on... these would be Gary and Hudson, not some kicker that was won over when your coach had a sleep over at his house.

Lmfao. Which program is more elite. Hilarious. Outright effin hilarious. As for personnel, I guaran-damn-tee you CJF would love to have Nordin, Lavert Hill and Michael Dwonfour on his team in addition to Hudson. Harbaugh literally took 3 of those 4 from PSU. Don't kid yourself, Gary was never ever going to Penn State. If not at UM he'd be playing for Dabo. Anyway, not gonna get in a message board war with someone who knows so little. Good luck and Go Blue.

Lmfao. Which program is more elite. Hilarious. Outright effin hilarious. As for personnel, I guaran-damn-tee you CJF would love to have Nordin, Lavert Hill and Michael Dwonfour on his team in addition to Hudson. Harbaugh literally took 3 of those 4 from PSU. Don't kid yourself, Gary was never ever going to Penn State. If not at UM he'd be playing for Dabo. Anyway, not gonna get in a message board war with someone who knows so little. Good luck and Go Blue.
Hey troll, Harbaugh have a sleepover with you too?

The possible bad news: After watching UM vs. Indy yesterday, the PSU players will be very overconfident. (But, will still win.)
This is the one thing that I absolutely know is incorrect. This team is focused, cerebral, athletic, and has that "it" factor that you need to win these kinds of games. There are 8 5th year seniors that play on this defense alone.

The last time that was the case at Penn State, it went 12-0 and won the national championship in 1986.

Stay on your own board, if you don’t care to entertain opinions outside of your own. BTW, how many Big Ten Championships does Harbaugh have? Oh, that’s not fair, he was stuck with the recruits from Hoke... unlike CJF who had no such handicap... wait, oh yeah, CJF inherited O’Brien’s recruits that didn’t even include 85 scholarships. How about Big Ten titles... Michigan last won a Big Ten championship in 2004, and Penn State has won three since then. Penn State won two National championships since 1950 (not counting getting screwed out of a few more), while Michigan has won only one. Certainly, Michigan’s success prior to 1950 eclipses Penn State’s by a wide margin, and Michigan did have a great run of success against Penn State in the late 90’s and early 00’s, but I’m talking about present day status. Neither your past glory, nor the attention getting stunts by Harbaugh add meaning to the status of your program when you finish in third place in the Big Ten East every year.

Reactions: gogolion and ftlpsu
Experience matters, especially in the secondary on defense. Nearly anyone who knows anything about the game will tell you that. Joe Moorhead is going to give them looks that they have not seen before, and will not see after, and if you don't think this is a problem then you are a moron. Go blow.

Beat it scumbag.

Reactions: odshowtime

took a knee on the 1 yard line in 2015

What I hope to see:

On defense, I'd blitz O'korn all day long. Even if he's up to the challenge, which I doubt, their wideouts would have to outplay our secondary. In that scenario, I like our odds. Their D is good, so let's load the box, stuff the run, and force some turnovers. The more bites at the apple on offense, the better.

On offense, I'd find ways to get Trace on the move. We're going to see A gap pressure all game, so neutralize it with screens, the short passing game, and rollouts. Dispense with some of the RPO looks that cost a full second. We won't have it to spare. Run a lot of plays and play fast tempo. Wear those big DTs out.

Win field position. Don't lose patience and go for it or trot out our shoddy field goal unit when we have an incredible punter. Very important in what may be a defensive battle. So glad this is a home game.

Apke has been the lone man in high, deep coverage more than Allen. I'd actually be ok with sliding Amani into this spot. With the way he's playing the ball, imagine him coming down on WRs.

We are very light at DE. I think we see Givens pushed outside early to add size if we have trouble. Naturally, people are more focused on the cupcakes we let run inside than the conference foes we restricted better.

I think we play two LBs right behind the DTs if we don't bring Allen up for a true 4-4 look. I think the power running could give us issues, but I think we are going to scheme for it and force them to pass. If it works, I think we could see some short fields.

Then why are you here? You started off fine with one post giving your insights, but got worked up over a response. You keep claiming those 4 recruiting victories. We'll keep winning Conference titles and beating your rivals.

PSU with 3 B1G championships since Michigan's last one. And our latest championship came on the heels of some of the worst sanctions ever. Yep, you're right, it's hilarious to think there is any question as to which program is more elite. But your team went to Rome this spring so there's always that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT