ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan OSU

Sniff test? Been hanging out with your dogs a little too much Jefe? When it comes to robes and wrestling...I’ll stick with the eye test.

Cause you know, that test is used repeatedly to unmeasurable success! NVMD.

Sniff test it is! SCIENCE!!
Someone who wore a mascot head lived the sniff test. Or maybe developed immunity to it. Not sure which.

Reactions: KCLion
Someone who wore a mascot head lived the sniff test. Or maybe developed immunity to it. Not sure which.
Oh, yeah....definitely a problem. Worse than with today’s materials.

But....some of the ladies seemed to like it. And they didn’t need 140 beers at 7 for $1!

Oh, yeah....definitely a problem. Worse than with today’s materials.

But....some of the ladies seemed to like it. And they didn’t need 140 beers at 7 for $1!
"Worse than today's materials" begs an obvious question: what costume are you wearing today? Fess up, you're a furry.

"Ladies seemed to like it" reminds me of a Graham Spanier story. He was a keynote speaker at a PSU Alumni leadership conference I attended years ago (maybe the one where I met you?). Anybody who ever heard Spanier speak knows he could be awkward and inappropriate.

He opened by telling about dressing up as the Lion at an alumni event. Totally believable, as he had to experience everything PSU. But the didn't stop there -- he went on to say the ladies must not have known it was him, from the way they were touching the Lion. Ewww!

Yes, he thought it was a good idea to tell this to hundreds of his most dedicated alumni volunteers, men and women alike.

At which point some clown at my table (not me) said "Mrs. Spanier must not be getting it done at home."

Another clown at my table (again not me) said "Well, she IS an English professor."

Oh something posted for clicks? Michigan is and for eternity will be our only rival.

I guess @tylersmyth forgot to send TaTo the rivalry memo.

"It's a real rivalry," Ohio State coach Tom Ryan said. "This is the little kid's dream, right? Bases loaded, World Series, ninth inning. This is a lot of fun. They've done a great job with their program. We've done a really good job here. Because of the people we have and they have, it's made it a great event."

https://www.dispatch.com/sports/201...ing--match-vs-no-1-penn-state-is-only-round-1

Last edited:
Do you not root for guys who didn’t go to psu who represent our country? 2x world champ and Olympic champ who wrestled with USA across his chest and you take enjoyment in his losing? Yikes
One guy comments and now it's "you guy's" - LMAO, yawn.

Reactions: diggerpup
Ryan told right him right before going out, take your time and just do your best. Duals do not matter.

I don’t understand why a hyper talented wrestler would go to da O$U. Ryan gives me the heebie-jeebies. So smarmy. The entire skool populous is annoying and in the shittiest city on the planet. Columbus is God’s skidmark on earth.

I really enjoy when "non rival" fans feel compelled to post on a "non rival's" board simply to remind them that they're not rivals. Quite the valuable public service Mr. Smyth is providing here. However let me for one moment propose a simpler reason why some feverishly post here...

I don’t understand why a hyper talented wrestler would go to da O$U. Ryan gives me the heebie-jeebies. So smarmy. The entire skool populous is annoying and in the shittiest city on the planet. Columbus is God’s skidmark on earth.
Was born and raised a die hard Penn State fan. Lived in Columbus for several years. Met many good people in my time there. Just do not talk sports with them. Turn insane pretty quick.

I was sent to Ohio State medical center recently for major surgery. Exceptional care. You are painting with too broad a brush in my experience.

Was born and raised a die hard Penn State fan. Lived in Columbus for several years. Met many good people in my time there. Just do not talk sports with them. Turn insane pretty quick.

I was sent to Ohio State medical center recently for major surgery. Exceptional care. You are painting with too broad a brush in my experience.
Yea, probably should use a 12" roller.

Columbus is more like the most average city in the US. That’s why it’s considered the best test market in the country for any new product, restaurant, etc.

Reactions: Hotshoe
I really enjoy when "non rival" fans feel compelled to post on a "non rival's" board simply to remind them that they're not rivals. Quite the valuable public service Mr. Smyth is providing here. However let me for one moment propose a simpler reason why some feverishly post here...
Feverishly post here, I’ve been a rivals member since 2004. I have what 100 posts on this board. Psu is the standard in college wrestling everyone is striving for and you are the thirthiest fan base I’ve ever seen. The culture you’ve created in your room everyone is trying to replicate yet when you visit this board you would think the opposite

Feverishly post here, I’ve been a rivals member since 2004. I have what 100 posts on this board. Psu is the standard in college wrestling everyone is striving for and you are the thirthiest fan base I’ve ever seen. The culture you’ve created in your room everyone is trying to replicate yet when you visit this board you would think the opposite

Well you did quote post twice within a minute....thats on the path to feverishly, i would think

I think he'll be a lot better at 157 next year than Mattox. If so, the choice is made for him.
After how Sasso wrestled yesterday at 70KG, including dominating David Carr 7-2, could Sasso in fact end up at 157 and KeShawn Hayes FINALLY be able to move back to his normal 149?

As Ohio State fans we need to keep in mind that although Hayes is listed as a JR, he has a very good case and chance of getting that infamous 6th year medical waiver and still have 2 more seasons after this year. Moving him back down to 149 for 2 seasons and having Sasso grow into 157 may be the best team move, but even though Sasso looked great yesterday at 70 KG, he most likely has a better shot at winning it all at 149 at some point in his career.

Lots of decisions and options ahead of Tom Ryan and company.

Each additional post you make reveals a little more. Please keep digging...

After how Sasso wrestled yesterday at 70KG, including dominating David Carr 7-2, could Sasso in fact end up at 157 and KeShawn Hayes FINALLY be able to move back to his normal 149?

As Ohio State fans we need to keep in mind that although Hayes is listed as a JR, he has a very good case and chance of getting that infamous 6th year medical waiver and still have 2 more seasons after this year. Moving him back down to 149 for 2 seasons and having Sasso grow into 157 may be the best team move, but even though Sasso looked great yesterday at 70 KG, he most likely has a better shot at winning it all at 149 at some point in his career.

I would take some stock in Sasso's V over Carr, but Carr was dinged up at the end of the Molinaro match.

I would take some stock in Sasso's V over Carr, but Carr was dinged up at the end of the Molinaro match.

Also ...I’ve learned to not judge result of the NEXT match for the guy that loses in the semifinals of a major tourney. Semi-slide is real. Carr lost a very hard fought match, a very close nip and tuck match, to an Olympian. Who knows where his head was when he wrestled Sasso.

Never the less, as a 3x grad and fanatic of tOSU, I am very pleased that Sasso beat:
2x AA Collica in a 11-0 tech
Carr 7-2
And, was seconds from beating a very experienced senior level Habat (Sasso had him in a quad pod and just about knee down as time expired).

Sasso has been uber impressive thus far - and is a breath of fresh air into our program (such as a Pennsylvania trained guy that really understands mat wrestling, unlike most of our Ohio trained guys that avoid the mat like the plague)

Sasso bumped up a weight class to challenge Carr at Beast last year and David owned him. It was 2-0 or 3-0 in takedowns. The fact that Sammy flipped that result, still undersized vs David, is very impressive, albeit the circumstances of the matchup (as above)

Question for you guys- why didn’t Cael go after Sasso? Lehigh Valley kid with very impressive high school results. Seems like a no brainer. ??

Last edited:
Question for you guys- why didn’t Cael go after Sasso? Lehigh Valley kid with very impressive high school results. Seems like a no brained. ??
Sasso had some off-the-mat baggage. Stuff he could grow out of, and it looks like he did, but not risk free. And perhaps not a great culture fit in the room.

Probably also liked the guys he already had on board and coming in, at least enough that Sasso wasn't a priority in the same class as RBY, Brooks, Beard, Nevills, Joe Lee, Teasdale, Teske, etc.

Should also note that Cael has yet to land a starter-level wrestler from the Lehigh Valley, and has barely pursued there either. To the best of my knowledge, only Racciato got an offer, and given his losses to Beitz it's likely Cael saw him as a guy who could compete to start (as opposed to a starter/AA candidate). (Though maybe Kindig would've if here weren't at the same weight as the Altons.)

Last edited:
Question for you guys- why didn’t Cael go after Sasso? Lehigh Valley kid with very impressive high school results. Seems like a no brained. ??

Who knows but Cael but I’d say..

1. He thinks he has guys better that are already on roster at his projected weight (N Lee manhandled Sasso, Verk, Berge)

2. IIRC..I thought I remember reading of some off the mat concerns with him

He is a fun guy to watch

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT