ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Lax Loses in OT

DELion

May 23, 2020
PSU played a great game, taking #1 Duke to OT. Duke awarded winning goal despite replay showing it should not be allowed. No video review so Duke wins. Tough loss.

PSU played a great game, taking #1 Duke to OT. Duke awarded winning goal despite replay showing it should not be allowed. No video review so Duke wins. Tough loss.
Great game, PSU should have won it in regulation when Duke was a man down in the last seconds of the 4th period. Bogus that there is no replay on that goal.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Really reflects poorly on the sport. According to studio announcers 2nd time in 4 years blown call decides game in final 4.

I worked clock for our HS lax team in SEPA for 12 years. Saw some high quality D 1 players. Rule changes have improved flow of the game- and one can respect trying to avoid the endless replay stoppages- but in the end one official shouldn't have that much control over the outcome. I'm sure that guy feels terrible- and announcers/studio have covered all the excuses. Human error on bang bang play happens.

If Duke had lost to us the rule changes tomorrow...our AD was active on the field hugging/consoling players...expect Pat to go off on NCAA. Makes no difference. Still a heck of a play by Duke #1...sports are games of subtle felonies. Kid got away with one.

F- Duke in the Final. Rooting for Hoos or God forbid even Domers.

Gr8 game by our guys! Made us proud.

Reactions: Grass and hlstone
Really reflects poorly on the sport. According to studio announcers 2nd time in 4 years blown call decides game in final 4.

I worked clock for our HS lax team in SEPA for 12 years. Saw some high quality D 1 players. Rule changes have improved flow of the game- and one can respect trying to avoid the endless replay stoppages- but in the end one official shouldn't have that much control over the outcome. I'm sure that guy feels terrible- and announcers/studio have covered all the excuses. Human error on bang bang play happens.

If Duke had lost to us the rule changes tomorrow...our AD was active on the field hugging/consoling players...expect Pat to go off on NCAA. Makes no difference. Still a heck of a play by Duke #1...sports are games of subtle felonies. Kid got away with one.

F- Duke in the Final. Rooting for Hoos or God forbid even Domers.

Gr8 game by our guys! Made us proud.

Was not really a "bang-bang" play - the Duke player's right foot is clearly in the crease. The back officials primary job is to be watching shooters feet on that play - difficult to see how he utterly blew it as he's looking directly at play from a couple feet away and entire front-half of Duke player's right foot very clearly enters the crease.

Only reasonable explanation is the Official was not looking at Duke player's feet (i.e, blew the call by not doing his responsibility - that or he has horrendous eyesight eyesight and shouldn't be doing the game.

Goal should obviously not have counted but the face-offs killed them much like they did against Yale several years ago. They never touched the ball in OT. I didn’t see the whole game but during the parts I watched Duke seemed to win like 80% of the face-offs. Not sure what the final stats were.

Reactions: MacNit07
If you want to be charitable, the ref who made the call was screened by another Duke player right at the point of take off and he never saw it.

That was the Official on front side - he called the goal but was screened by several players; however, the Goaltender Crease Violation was not his call - there was a second Official right behind Duke shooter, it was his call to make and he should have been looking at shooter's feet (he was on same side of goal as the shooter and only a couple feet away - the ref you're talking about was on opposite side of goal from shooter). The Official on same side of goal is supposed to be watching shooter's feet when they're approaching that hard directly into the crease - he makes the correct, and frankly easy, call, his call overrides goal call (just as a crease violation wiped out an earlier called goal). IOW. a Crease Violation overrides and wipes out called goal by other Official.

Last edited:
Goal should obviously not have counted but the face-offs killed them much like they did against Yale several years ago. They never touched the ball in OT. I didn’t see the whole game but during the parts I watched Duke seemed to win like 80% of the face-offs. Not sure what the final stats were.

Honestly thought turnovers hurt more than FOs - especially the two sloppy unforced Offsides turnovers

Men’s lax rules continue to be behind the times. It has only been a few years since the shot clock was definitive. It used to be that a team was “put on the clock” by a ref’s discretion.

Was not really a "bang-bang" play - the Duke player's right foot is clearly in the crease. The back officials primary job is to be watching shooters feet on that play - difficult to see how he utterly blew it as he's looking directly at play from a couple feet away and entire front-half of Duke player's right foot very clearly enters the crease.

Only reasonable explanation is the Official was not looking at Duke player's feet (i.e, blew the call by not doing his responsibility - that or he has horrendous eyesight eyesight and shouldn't be doing the game.
The litany of possible reasons discussed were "the shadow" of #1 and PSU defender obscuring the foot (which could be true from the angle ref was viewing). That's how I saw it.

Other was watching for inner circle violation...or simple human error. Dude in studio said that ref may have been concerned "about taking away 2 goals on circle violations" which they correctly did vs. Duke #51 earlier. That's b.s. because both were violations so both should he called, on us or them.

Rule will change. I agree with the faceoff commentary- but their guy is an All American- our guy scrapped. Our unforced offsides under no pressure at 3 minutes with possesion after a great defensive stop while tied will be the thing that our cosches see in their nightmares tonight. If we go up 1 there who knows????

No consolation prize, but we played our hearts and guts out. Cpuldn't have tried much more.

Reactions: Grass
That was the Official on front side - he called the goal but was screened by several players; however, the Goaltender Crease Violation was not his call - there was a second Official right behind Duke shooter, it was his call to make and he should have been looking at shooter's feet (he was on same side of goal as the shooter and only a couple feet away - the ref you're talking about was on opposite side of goal from shooter). The Official on same side of goal is supposed to be watching shooter's feet when they're approaching that hard directly into the crease - he makes the correct. and frankly easy, call, his call overrides goal call (just as a crease violation wiped out an earlier called goal). IOW. a Crease Violation overrides and wipes out called goal by other Official.
He was about 20 feet away and is looking through the Penn State defender, the goal scorer's legs, shadows, etc. I know nothing about lacrosse officiating mechanics, but that's far from an easy call from that angle (he really has no angle at all to make it if it's really his call).

Last edited:
That really sucked. I feel disgusting saying this but I’ll be rooting against Duke on Monday even if that means rooting for Notre Dame

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
He was about 20 feet away and is looking through the Penn State defender, the goal scorer's legs, shadows, etc. I know nothing about lacrosse officiating mechanics, but that's far from an easy call from that angle (he really has no angle at all to make it if it's really his call).

Complete nonsense that the defender's body is blocking the view of the shooter's feet! The Official is not 20 feet away he was running directly toward the goal as the shooter is charging toward crease - it is that Official's job to create an angle as he approaches whereby he maintains sight contact with the shooter's feet. And the shooter's right foot very clearly Violates the Goaltender Crease Circle - not difficult to see whatsoever unless you have bad eyesight or just blew the call via poor mechanics by not approaching in a way that allowed you to see his feet. It was not a difficult call to make - the shooter's foot very clearly and unmistakably enters the crease (not just a toe, half his right foot lands in the Crease - a very, very clear violation. Tambroni was in disbelief at the non-call and just stood in the middle of the field until well after the game demanding an explanation from the Officials but they refused to speak with him and just effectively ran away. It was not some crazy hard call the PSU defenders were all immediately pointing to the spot the Infraction occurred and Tambroni immediately began waiving at the Officials to come over and he wanted to speak to them.).

Complete nonsense that the defender's body is blocking the view of the shooter's feet! The Official is not 20 feet away he was running directly toward the goal as the shooter is charging toward crease
The video speaks for itself Bushy…

The video speaks for itself Bushy…

That camera is 100 ft or more further away from the play than the Official in the video you're referencing. Look how tall the Lacrosse Net looks relative to the distance from the Official to the back of the PSU Defender's back - the Official is only about 2x the height of the goal from the back of the PSU player (a Lacrosse Goal is only 6' high) and running directly toward play. You are flat wrong that the PSU player is obstructing the view of the shooter's feet - both of the shooter's feet can be seen from the angle the Official is at (i.e., directly behind play) as both shooter's feet are between PSU defender's legs - both feet can easily be seen especially when you consider that the player's feet would be some 100x larger as the Official would actually see them relative to the image you showed. Also, the shooter's foot (which again would be 100x larger and actual size to an Official where that Official is) would be seen breaking the Goal Crease Line completely severing it. The Goal Crease Line is white and the 100% cancelling of that white line by the shooter's right foot would not be "obstructed" by a shadow - you would see the line stopping at either side of shooter's foot as he straddled the line and no shadow would make that "unseeable" (i.e., that the white crease line is completely broken by the foot on top of it). It is beyond silly to compare a camera shot from 150' away on a tiny screen is the same clarity this Official is seeing from 12' - 15' away directly behind this play. Utterly laughable to make this claim, but fairly typical for you.

Last edited:
Face offs are preventing us from being #1 in the sport.

Reactions: NewEra 2014

Notre Dame men's lacrosse wins program's first national championship​

Quinn McCahon celebrates his long goal in the second quarter of a Notre Dame victory over Duke in the national championship game.

Quinn McCahon celebrates his long goal in the second quarter of a Notre Dame victory over Duke in the national championship game. (Bill Streicher-USA Today Sports)

Yeah- tough to root for ND but happy to see Duke NOT celebrate a "Ship" that was enabled on a questionable play. The fact that it was against us made it worse. I did look around on the different game stories from our loss and most comments from real Duke fans were reasonable. I think they "get" that it was fortunate- and that it would sting like hell if it were them on the receiving end- but since it doesn't matter anyway they were more than willing to take the W- as we would.

The fact that their own website coverage made absolutely zero mention of the potential infraction was expected- but still infuriating. Their coach was a bit of a douche- trying to rationalize how they were screwed earlier in the game somehow making a blown call win "fair." Glad they lost- just another reason to hate Duke!

Was there any "apology" or "acknowledgment" by the NCAA to the missed call? Have seen nothing...... Not holding my breath, but would be the correct thing to do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT