ADVERTISEMENT

Mens Bball vs Purdue

You can absolutely get a technical for words--that's always been true
Two schools of thought....by giving out technicals in that situation you're hopefully calming things done vs simply warning them and then maybe the next incident is worse. I agree with the Ts. I know many don't but that doesn't make it a bad or non-existent call as some want to claim.
Oh, I know you *can* get a technical for jawing. I don’t think you *should*. I think just talking should be a no-call in everything but the most severe of scenarios.

Part of the problem was the game was getting chippy and Watkins had just committed a hard foul. AND instead of walking away, he stood over the player and kept looking down at him. That started everything, he should have walked away from the player he knocked to the floor.

A Purdue player came in and gently moved him over. The escalating issue was then a second Purdue player came in and gave him a hard push away and started yacking at him. Instead of walking away or just shutting up, he took two steps straight back towards the Purdue player (and the ref) and started yacking back.

I think the ref came in intending to T-up the Purdue player but Teed-Up Watkins too because he was continuing to escalate the situation.

Just watched the sequence again.

Watkins was NOT hovering over him and was not jawing at him.

Another Purdue guy came over and pushed Watkins not once but twice.

Then Watkins said something back
Just an awful call

Please tell me one post where I said we lost due to the refs. I disagree with the technical...many things happen in games much worse than that and no technical is called. You’re overblowing things as usual. But when refs call a perfect game, please let me know so I won’t complain about any call. And I don’t care that it was Watkins, I would disagree with it being called on anyone. And you’re by far the dumbest poster on this board, so you might want to think twice about calling anyone stupid. I’ll match basketball resumes with you any time you want.

Again--the person you were agreeing with said we did. Words--read them slower maybe that will help you. You can disagree with the technical all you want it doesn't make it wrong. You believing I'm the dumbest poster only reinforces how intelligent I am. Basketball resume--lmao.

Watkins earned the technical...he should have walked away and not said a word. He was playing poorly and he was frustrated. He let that get the best of him.

Reactions: psu1969a
thanks for posting.....we have not had a post like this since the first half of the Illinois Game.....

And where did you get your degree in BB coaching - Tucker Hill Tech or the Philadelphia Biddy League.

You guys beating up Watkins, I believe that he just finished the 46 hour dance marathon, what a trooper.

At least that is what it looked like.

HUH? You actually believe Watkins participated in the whole dance marathon?

I don’t think you should ever get teed up just for jawing. Watkins never even came close to touching him. I thought it was a no-call, separate the players type of situation.

I agree.. warn the players that if they don't knock if off, they get teed up. It's not like a technical foul in the NBA where it doesn't count against your total foul total. That technical foul was a huge call and didn't need to be made. The cheap ones on Watkins early in the game were ridiculous considering how much contact was allowed during other parts of the game. I honestly don't think Watkins knows how to play anymore. He plays the right way and he gets fouls called. He plays soft, he gets fouls called. I'm good with him just going out and being himself and playing. Let the calls fall where they may. I like a mad, aggressive, tough Watkins, not one that's worried about getting a foul called on him all the time.

Reactions: itsofficial101
Again--the person you were agreeing with said we did. Words--read them slower maybe that will help you. You can disagree with the technical all you want it doesn't make it wrong. You believing I'm the dumbest poster only reinforces how intelligent I am. Basketball resume--lmao.
Definitely laugh of the basketball resume part because you’re in a battle of wits unarmed. I’ve forgotten more about basketball than you’ve ever known, yet you want to argue with me. Humorous. And agreeing with one thing a poster said doesn’t mean I agree with everything he said...maybe you should read that slower.

And you notice how the ticky tack or totally wrong calls always pile up on Watkins. B1G refs know what it takes to neuter Penn St. Take out the big man early because we simply don't have bigs ready behind that.

Funny how the same thing occurred when the B1G was protecting Mich St and called 3 quick fouls on Watkins (had 1 in the 1st) to start the 2nd half to sit him down early because we were up on them at half.

Reactions: johnmpsu
And you notice how the ticky tack or totally wrong calls always pile up on Watkins. B1G refs know what it takes to neuter Penn St. Take out the big man early because we simply don't have bigs ready behind that.

Funny how the same thing occurred when the B1G was protecting Mich St and called 3 quick fouls on Watkins (had 1 in the 1st) to start the 2nd half to sit him down early because we were up on them at half.
LOL at the thought that referees will jeopardize their future earnings potential by trying to "neutralize" a player with incorrect calls.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT