ADVERTISEMENT

Mens Bball vs Purdue

Ehh.. college basketball is much much closer to having it right than college football. College basketball has allowed very good teams such as Gonzaga, Butler and Wichita State have an opportunity to win a national title. Larry Bird's Indiana State team never would've seen a national title game in the college football system. No power conference school has the right to complain about not getting into the tournament. You get multiple chances. The regular season games and if you failed during the season, you get one last chance in your conference tournament to win your way in. A good deal of the subjectivity is taken away from the NCAA basketball tournament committee. Gonzaga, Butler, Wichita State, Indiana State can't happen in college football.

I thought the officials missed a foul on PSU’s in-bounds play in the last few seconds of the first half.

As PSU’s player ran the baseline before he threw the long pass, the defender ran with him and ran over a PSU player that had set a screen under the basket.

I meant to replay this play last night for a second look before I deleted the game, but forgot to.....but watching it live sure looked like a totally blown call.

Getting a couple of free throws there might have helped slow down all the Purdue momentum they gained in the last minute or two of the half. Of course, the way PSU was shooting free throws it might not have mattered.

Julian Moore set the screen on the defender and got run over. They don't always call that foul in that situation because defenders are usually baiting the defender, trying to get that call.

Julian Moore set the screen on the defender and got run over. They don't always call that foul in that situation because defenders are usually baiting the defender, trying to get that call.

I’ve seen it called, I’ve seen it ignored. But a foul is a foul is a foul, no matter where on the court, no matter what the time on the clock, no matter the score.

As I said, I didn’t see a replay, but live action it looked like it should have been a pretty easy call for the official. MIGHT have made a difference in the game.....right along with the other, what, 120+ plays in the game.

Ehh.. college basketball is much much closer to having it right than college football. College basketball has allowed very good teams such as Gonzaga, Butler and Wichita State have an opportunity to win a national title. Larry Bird's Indiana State team never would've seen a national title game in the college football system. No power conference school has the right to complain about not getting into the tournament. You get multiple chances. The regular season games and if you failed during the season, you get one last chance in your conference tournament to win your way in. A good deal of the subjectivity is taken away from the NCAA basketball tournament committee. Gonzaga, Butler, Wichita State, Indiana State can't happen in college football.
I don’t think anyone is saying no teams from non P5 conferences should get in, just not every single scrub conference. They could still have at large bids and teams like Butler, Gonzaga and Indiana State definitely would have gotten in. Hell, they get in now without winning their Conference tournament as at large bids...which means we often get multiple teams from bad conferences.

Isn't that what all screeners are doing? He was set, defender plowed into him. Should have been a easy call and ended up costing Penn State at the end of the half.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Yes and these same people crying for these shit conference to get into a football tournament won't be sitting on their couch watching Fresno State or Troy get blasted 44-0 by Alabama.

Okay, once every 15 years they'll get lucky and spring the upset. Who cares. I'll take Georgia-Oklahoma and Alabama-Georgia EVERY YEAR.

Competitive games between the BEST teams in the country are far more entertaining than David vs Goliath. People that whine that these underdog teams are more interesting have a problem, you're in the minority. TV ratings say nobody but a handful of you guys care!

I will absolutely watch Bama destroy Fresno State or Troy...and it wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as you make it out to be. If you win a conference you earn a spot. If those conferences aren't going to be represented they need to have their own subdivision. It's simple. Winning a conference isn't a participation award--something was accomplished even if you don't respect it.
We'll still get Georgia-Bama or Georgia-Oklahoma more often than not but those teams from the MAC, MWC, etc would actually have something to play for. And I think you're underestimating those teams if you think we'd get one upset every 15 years. 3 times since 2012 a 15 seed beat a 2 seed. 5 14 seeds have won the past 5 years--that's 25% of the time. Alabama vs. Troy, at least iMO, isn't the same as a 1 vs 16

Honestly, even if it was once every 15 years I'd be content with it but we'd see more wins than that. Especially from the MWC, CUSA and AAC champs.

Isn't that what all screeners are doing? He was set, defender plowed into him. Should have been a easy call and ended up costing Penn State at the end of the half.

Well, that and Penn State's horrible clock management cost Penn State at the end of the half.

Until Penn State plays smarter and coaches smarter, complaining about officiating costing us games is pretty weak. Penn State has plenty of talent to make the NCAAs and in my view, has enough talent to make the Sweet 16. Yet Penn State is a long shot to make the NCAAs right now because of poor OOC scheduling, poor coaching, and poor basketball IQ by several of its players.

I think in the future we should have two separate basketball threads.

The first thread we will call the "Fred Rogers Thread". In this thread, everyone is sunny and upbeat. You will hear a lot of positive, up beat comments in this thread. Quotes like "gosh golly guys" ....."come on!!!! You can do it!!!!"

The second thread will be the "Don Rickles Thread". In this thread, everyone will be as vicious and ruthless to their fellow posters and the team as they can possibly be. Quotes in this room will often focus on personal attacks. It will be routine to hear "he's nothing but a c#%*s~^*%!" or "eat *^#& and die".

This way .......we can all have that ultimate BWI experience we are looking for here!
--
In the Top Five All Time Best Posts. Maybe we could expand this rule for football too.

I will absolutely watch Bama destroy Fresno State or Troy...and it wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as you make it out to be. If you win a conference you earn a spot. If those conferences aren't going to be represented they need to have their own subdivision. It's simple. Winning a conference isn't a participation award--something was accomplished even if you don't respect it.
We'll still get Georgia-Bama or Georgia-Oklahoma more often than not but those teams from the MAC, MWC, etc would actually have something to play for. And I think you're underestimating those teams if you think we'd get one upset every 15 years. 3 times since 2012 a 15 seed beat a 2 seed. 5 14 seeds have won the past 5 years--that's 25% of the time. Alabama vs. Troy, at least iMO, isn't the same as a 1 vs 16

Ratings and ticket sales have spoken. David vs Goliath matches do not put asses in the seats.

Setting a screen isn't to draw a foul generally unless it's this specific situation.. it's to better your offensive position. If a guy stays upright and somebody runs into the screen hard and doesn't knock the guy over, it's not called a foul. Julian was just trying to screen a giant man.. and he did his job by taking him out of the play allowing Reaves an uncontested pass down court. I yelled for the foul because I wanted the call but not really because I thought it was a no brainer.. If he sees the screen and lowers his shoulder or uses his hands to get through the screen, then I think the foul call is deserved. Julian basically ran into a guy's path that was sprinting. Nice effort, but I'm ok with it being incidental contact, despite how hard it was.

Reactions: todd brewster
Well, that and Penn State's horrible clock management cost Penn State at the end of the half.

Until Penn State plays smarter and coaches smarter, complaining about officiating costing us games is pretty weak. Penn State has plenty of talent to make the NCAAs and in my view, has enough talent to make the Sweet 16. Yet Penn State is a long shot to make the NCAAs right now because of poor OOC scheduling, poor coaching, and poor basketball IQ by several of its players.
Shut down Basketball....o_O

I don’t think anyone is saying no teams from non P5 conferences should get in, just not every single scrub conference. They could still have at large bids and teams like Butler, Gonzaga and Indiana State definitely would have gotten in. Hell, they get in now without winning their Conference tournament as at large bids...which means we often get multiple teams from bad conferences.

I believe every conference should get a bid (for the entertainment value in the first two rounds, in addition to fairness), but the committee should be allowed to replace the conference tournament championship with the regular season champion if the former doesn't meet basic criteria (winning record, for example) and the latter would not get an at large bid.

Make FTs and PSU walks out of Mackey with the win. The little things matter. Still too much stagnant offense in last 4-5 minutes of game. Carr made one great play when he penetrated and kicked it to Shep for a clutch three but overall too much of 4 guys standing around and watching Carr dribble the air out of the ball. Need more man and ball movement to win tight games consistently. Got outschemed down the stretch.

Julian basically ran into a guy's path that was sprinting.

Not going to disagree with anything from your post except for this. Moore's job was to allow Reaves to run the baseline to make the long throw. I haven't seen a replay, but I wouldn't say he ran into the guy's path. He put himself on the baseline and was set when Josh ran by AND as big as he is, was knocked over. That's quite a bit more than incidental contact. We're not talking about the defender brushing by him. But, in the end, it doesn't matter now. There is so much crap that goes on in a basketball game that doesn't get called, don't get me started on "moving screens".

So why did Watkins get his technical foul (#4)? Watkins fouled a guy (#3), stood there, and then was pushed by the Purdue center after the whistle. How does the Purdue center pushing Watkins after the play = technical foul on Watkins?

I believe every conference should get a bid (for the entertainment value in the first two rounds, in addition to fairness), but the committee should be allowed to replace the conference tournament championship with the regular season champion if the former doesn't meet basic criteria (winning record, for example) and the latter would not get an at large bid.
Definitely better than what they have now.

But one win (or even two) in a 64 team tournament really doesn’t mean much. Let me know when more of these teams actually accomplish something meaningful.

So why did Watkins get his technical foul (#4)? Watkins fouled a guy (#3), stood there, and then was pushed by the Purdue center after the whistle. How does the Purdue center pushing Watkins after the play = technical foul on Watkins?
Uh oh, look out...you’ll have 78SweetRevenge telling you you’re imagining things.

Reactions: johnmpsu
And yet no one can explain how the Purdue center pushing Watkins = tech foul #4 that sent Watkins to the bench for most of the 2nd half.

In a one possession game, argue how this was not the difference. Then consider that Purdue was given over twice as many free throw attempts while you witnessed our guys being hit on a number of shots with no call.

Please take this opportunity to remember that Bob is a Bragalone hater!

Bob hates everyone...

Whoa, whoa! Bragalone is a dreamboat!

giphy.gif

MAN. CRUSH. :eek:

Mike Watkins had an absolutely brutal game for whatever reason. He missed layups and he lost his cool. I assumed his technical was for yapping at Haarms after their incident.

Reactions: todd brewster
I thought it was the right call for the double Technical on Watkins. If he keeps jawing after a play and moves towards an opponent, he should get T'd up. Can't let that happen in that situation, but hopefully something that he learns from moving forward.

Well, considering refs miss calls every game, agreeing with him on certain calls will be right in some cases. And since you agree with the refs on every call that goes against PSU, you’re equally as wrong as he is.

You're still too stupid to comprehend simple things. Calls are made--you deal with them and move on. Not every call is going to be right. Some will go in your favor. Some will go against you. The technical against Watkins was valid. I don't think anyone here didn't know that was about to happen immediately after the file. We lost because of our poor play in the second half not because of the refs. 10 calls could have been wrong against us and the loss is still on the coaches and players. Overcome or lose.

I thought it was the right call for the double Technical on Watkins. If he keeps jawing after a play and moves towards an opponent, he should get T'd up. Can't let that happen in that situation, but hopefully something that he learns from moving forward.

Again--right. This isn't difficult people

Mike Watkins had an absolutely brutal game for whatever reason. He missed layups and he lost his cool. I assumed his technical was for yapping at Haarms after their incident.

Exactly, Watkins gave a hard foul and was yapping at a player and you could see a ref was coming over before Haarms pushed him away. I'm not sure what Watkins said, but for a moment I thought he was going to get tossed. If Joe was coaching basketball, he would not have gotten back in the game. He lost his cool.

Not sure where to post this, so I'll throw it here...

ESPN Insider has a 2019 NBA Mock Draft today. Two of our guys appear, Carr at 38th and Reaves at 45th. Interestingly enough, top 3 picks were all HS seniors committed to Duke (former PSU target Cam Reddish was 2nd).

I don’t think you should ever get teed up just for jawing. Watkins never even came close to touching him. I thought it was a no-call, separate the players type of situation.

I don’t think you should ever get teed up just for jawing. Watkins never even came close to touching him. I thought it was a no-call, separate the players type of situation.

You can absolutely get a technical for words--that's always been true
Two schools of thought....by giving out technicals in that situation you're hopefully calming things done vs simply warning them and then maybe the next incident is worse. I agree with the Ts. I know many don't but that doesn't make it a bad or non-existent call as some want to claim.

Reactions: francofan
You're still too stupid to comprehend simple things. Calls are made--you deal with them and move on. Not every call is going to be right. Some will go in your favor. Some will go against you. The technical against Watkins was valid. I don't think anyone here didn't know that was about to happen immediately after the file. We lost because of our poor play in the second half not because of the refs. 10 calls could have been wrong against us and the loss is still on the coaches and players. Overcome or lose.
Please tell me one post where I said we lost due to the refs. I disagree with the technical...many things happen in games much worse than that and no technical is called. You’re overblowing things as usual. But when refs call a perfect game, please let me know so I won’t complain about any call. And I don’t care that it was Watkins, I would disagree with it being called on anyone. And you’re by far the dumbest poster on this board, so you might want to think twice about calling anyone stupid. I’ll match basketball resumes with you any time you want.

Reactions: johnmpsu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT