ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s basketball scheduling wish list

10 worst NBA players are a HUGE leap from the 10 best women players, and 10 UConn women are a HUGE leap from out of shape volleyball coaches and 15 year old boys.

I am nominating Lemon Ears' post as Dumb Post of the Week.
I agree I over-reached when I added Russ Rose to the list. However, I think a team of PSU coaches (James Franklin, etc.) could be picked and they would beat the UCONN women. Just my opinion. Have any of you ever played against college women basketball players? I have. They can't compete with men.

The women's game has improved over "many years" but that wasn't UConn that you played which is arguable 10 of the best 15 women in that age group. Russ Rose & co aren't beating UConn.
I agree. My church team would not be able to beat the UCONN starters or reserves. They are much better than the team I played against. However, I'm convinced a good high school boys team would easily beat the UCONN starters. The UCONN girls aren't nearly as quick, not as physical, and girls can't jump!

You have got to be kidding me. You think Russ Rose and Penn State coaches are in the same shape as the UCONN women's basketball team. You think high school boys are as talented as the UCONN womens' team?

You must be joking.
No he isn't joking. He actually believes it.

I agree I over-reached when I added Russ Rose to the list. However, I think a team of PSU coaches (James Franklin, etc.) could be picked and they would beat the UCONN women. Just my opinion. Have any of you ever played against college women basketball players? I have. They can't compete with men.
I have, and they are better than you give them credit for (though not as good as some believe). If the coaches playing them include Dwayne Anderson, Pat Chambers, and Keith Urgo, I'd like the old Guy's chances more. Any random coaches and they'd get beat. Same with your "average" high school boys team. If we are talking Alderdice or Roman Catholic or Oak Hill, sure, UConn gets killed. But what I'd consider an "average" HS team would have more trouble with UConn than you think.

No he isn't joking. He actually believes it.
Yes, I'm not joking. I actually believe that a good high school boys team would beat the UCONN girls. Don't get me wrong. I like to watch the UCONN girls and admire their team play. However, take a good look at their next game. Watch them rebound. Look at how high in the air they are when they nab a rebound. It is around the bottom of the net. Then watch a good high school boys team. They grab rebounds nearly at rim height. A decent high school boys team would get scads of offensive rebounds and score like crazy off the offensive boards. The UCONN girls would be one and done on their shots. Also, watch how quick the boys get up and down the court. Much faster than the girls. Finally, boys are much more physical going to the hoop. I don't think the girls would stand much of a chance against a good boys team.

I have, and they are better than you give them credit for (though not as good as some believe). If the coaches playing them include Dwayne Anderson, Pat Chambers, and Keith Urgo, I'd like the old Guy's chances more. Any random coaches and they'd get beat. Same with your "average" high school boys team. If we are talking Alderdice or Roman Catholic or Oak Hill, sure, UConn gets killed. But what I'd consider an "average" HS team would have more trouble with UConn than you think.
True. It would take a good high school boys team to beat the UCONN girls. The coach's team would have to be cherry picked (I bet Franklin would be good) and not randomly chosen. Russ Rose would not be picked. Maybe he could coach the team.

Really depends on your definition of "average". Where they can't compete is in the front court obviously. How is a 6'-3" female foward going to handle a 6'-8" male that has 50-100 pounds on her down in the post?

I agree. My church team would not be able to beat the UCONN starters or reserves. They are much better than the team I played against. However, I'm convinced a good high school boys team would easily beat the UCONN starters. The UCONN girls aren't nearly as quick, not as physical, and girls can't jump!

Okay--this is better :) You wouldn't have gotten the reaction that you did if you didn't exaggerate the first point lol

Illinois, I'm a Wvu fan and I agree we mismanaged the last 4 minutes of the game.Kansas has the weakest 7' 285 lb player in America.He crashed to the floor wailing his arm like a helicopter when wvu's 6'8" 180 lb player put his hand on his hip.That was the worst call of the game.Well maybe the no call on Konate's 10 " jumpshot missed the rim by 3' because Azubuike hit him on both arms.Or Azubuike taking out Miles lower body while blocking his shot.STANGE things happen in the Fog when Wvu plays there.I wonder why Bilas didn't harp on these miscalls like he did on Wvu's in the first half.On another note there's no comparison between the talent level of these two teams.Just hope Kansas isn't one of the FBIs most wanted.All joking aside good teams overcome adversities and WVU just isn't a good team this year.

I’ve always liked Huggins and I think WVU is a good (but not great) team this year. I just don’t understand making those two passes inside that resulted in turnovers when the passer had a clear wide open shot that he was nailing throughout the game.

So many of these Big 12 games have come down to a play or two or a possession or two, hopefully the league won’t have totally worn themselves out when it gets through with their own tournament.

Okay--this is better :) You wouldn't have gotten the reaction that you did if you didn't exaggerate the first point lol
I agree. I was a bit over the top in my initial post. Why is it that girls can't jump? They are slow getting off their feet and don't jump nearly as high as boys? Just curious.

Yes, I'm not joking. I actually believe that a good high school boys team would beat the UCONN girls. Don't get me wrong. I like to watch the UCONN girls and admire their team play. However, take a good look at their next game. Watch them rebound. Look at how high in the air they are when they nab a rebound. It is around the bottom of the net. Then watch a good high school boys team. They grab rebounds nearly at rim height. A decent high school boys team would get scads of offensive rebounds and score like crazy off the offensive boards. The UCONN girls would be one and done on their shots. Also, watch how quick the boys get up and down the court. Much faster than the girls. Finally, boys are much more physical going to the hoop. I don't think the girls would stand much of a chance against a good boys team.
I agree that many high school boys teams could beat them. A pickup coaches team would out of gas before the first quarter ended.

Reactions: Louisville JD
I agree that many high school boys teams could beat them. A pickup coaches team would out of gas before the first quarter ended.
Depends on the coaches. Some college coaches stay in great shape. Cael Sanderson is a prime example. Not that I'm saying he would be a good basketball player, but he is in great shape.

ILLINOIS :
Dexter Miles passed up 2 wide open 3s the last minute and a half and he was 6-9 from the arc.He apologized for what he did in the post game while crying.We don't have a pt guard and it killed us 4 times this year late in games.In my opinion the Big12 isn't a great league just a league with parity.This Wvu team is the least athletic of all of Huggy's team at Wvu.The 13-19 team of 2012-13 season had more talent than this year.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Why don't you idiots start your own thread if you want to debate what sort of basketball team would be able to beat UConn Women's basketball team.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Why don't you idiots start your own thread if you want to debate what sort of basketball team would be able to beat UConn Women's basketball team.

The debate already ended but it someone threw out UConn Women's BB as an opponent...the path was inevitable from there

It's not the top end games that I worry about as much as the bottom end games. We can't under any scenario play a team like Coppin State. Everyone knew that they'd be one of the worst teams in the country, and those teams kill your SOS. Replace them with a better MAAC/NEC/Patriot team, or even just replace them with a Hampton (a team actually expected to compete in the MEAC or SWAC). But Coppin State was just an awful choice this year.
We didn't schedule Coppin State... They were part of a tourney that we got TAMU from (and Pitt...)

Psu should work something out like Pitt and WVU did for basketball.Wvu is only 3 hours away and we've been ranked for like 52 straight.What this means is even if Psu lost to Wvu it would not hurt your Rpi. And a win over a top 25 team would really help it.No brainer in my opinion.Heck schedule Pitt too,it's always fun beating them.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Psu should work something out like Pitt and WVU did for basketball.Wvu is only 3 hours away and we've been ranked for like 52 straight.What this means is even if Psu lost to Wvu it would not hurt your Rpi. And a win over a top 25 team would really help it.No brainer in my opinion.Heck schedule Pitt too,it's always fun beating them.
WVU certainly would be a great resume builder. The intent of my questions was what cool arena's or iconic programs would you want Penn State to play in the future. WVU certainly has a good basketball history, going back at least to Jerry West. It wouldn't be on my A list, however. Certainly from a resume standpoint, lets schedule them... but from a fan-boy "wow" factor, maybe not in the same class as Duke or Kansas.

The issue I have is the non-con did not prepare this team for the conference schedule. We had a couple good games vs NC State and Texas A&m but the long stretch of crap in December didn't do much for us. I'm hopeful this year's team finishes strong and can build on it.. maybe a whiteout in early December vs a huge name opponent. Wish Chambers could get Villanova to help us out but it doesn't have to be them but next year is the year to fill up the bandwagon and having a good team with interesting games in November/December will go a long way towards that.

I'm really surprised that our name hasn't popped up in an exempt tourney for next year yet.

I'm really surprised that our name hasn't popped up in an exempt tourney for next year yet.
Given our inconsistent history, I wouldn’t be surprised if the tournament planners are waiting to see whether Carr, Reaves, and/or Watkins stay for 2018-19. If at least two of those guys stay, we’ll be a very hot team this offseason.

WVU certainly would be a great resume builder. The intent of my questions was what cool arena's or iconic programs would you want Penn State to play in the future. WVU certainly has a good basketball history, going back at least to Jerry West. It wouldn't be on my A list, however. Certainly from a resume standpoint, lets schedule them... but from a fan-boy "wow" factor, maybe not in the same class as Duke or Kansas.
I would say UPenn, so that we can play in the Palestra... but, we made that happen while playing MSU. Maybe UCLA? Kentucky,Rupp again? Cameron Indoor, Arizona, UTexas... that's for some arenas. BUT.... my wishlist would be some of these marquis games at home and no 250+ RPI opponents. Schedule a few more teams like Rider or Akron (on a typical season as of late) - decent mid-majors that can help your RPI and should be beatable with our athletes, without having a terribly difficult time.

WVU would be awesome, good point. Maybe a series that puts us @ WVU 2 times, BJC 1 time. PC (as in Providence College, not Pat Chambers) would be a good regional as well - we seem to be in some recruiting wars together. The ultimate dream is Nova at the Palestra, but I do not see that happening because of Pat's relationship with Jay.

BTW, give this year last year's OOC schedule, and we would be top 50 RPI with the same results. If only we could swap the OOC's between the past 2 years

Certainly from a resume standpoint, lets schedule them... but from a fan-boy "wow" factor, maybe not in the same class as Duke or Kansas.

Yea, no kidding, but what makes you think either of these schools would consider scheduling us. Penn State isn't going to be able to start scheduling blue bloods because they made the NIT.

Yea, no kidding, but what makes you think either of these schools would consider scheduling us. Penn State isn't going to be able to start scheduling blue bloods because they made the NIT.
Well, I don't even think Pat Chambers, Sandy, or anyone else in Penn State's Athletic Department are going to read this thread or care about any of our opinions. This is a hypothetical list of who you would want to have Penn State play in basketball. I don't care if you say the Boston Celtics and the LA Lakers.

Folks ... as long as PC is here we are not scheduling Villanova. Chambers and Wright don't want to play each other.

Bingo, Wright and Chambers don't want to play each other so in the short run that game isn't happening. I have heard two things on that front.

1. Jay Wright doesn't like to coach against his ex assistants who are now head coaches, no matter who it is.
2. Jay and Pat had a falling out a few years back and the won't play each other due to it.

For the most part, I know #1 is true, not sure about #2 but wouldn't surprise me.

Honestly, Villanova scheduling us in basketball makes as much sense as us scheduling Pitt in football. Nova has nothing to gain from it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT