ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s basketball scheduling wish list

Ranger Dan

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2003
York PA
since basketball is getting very interesting at the end of this season, it’s been on my moping more that football or anything else sports related. Mark Packer was talking with Reese Davis about Kansas and said that this was the best place to see a college basketball game. I was thinking that instead of scheduling home games against cupcakes, it would be great if Penn State would try to schedule games against the big boys like Kansas and Duke. Of course, they may not want to do a home and home, but I’d be happy with a one way game when the students aren’t on campus.

The first two on my list are Kansas and Duke. UNC and Kentucky would also be on the list. I’d add UVA because my wife is a grad. I’d also like to play Nova in the Palestra every year. I guess playing Arizona, UCLA, St. Mary’s and Gonzaga would give us some west coast exposure. This isn’t a one season schedule, but maybe play one ACC team, one of Kansas/Kentucky, and one west coast team per year. Maybe we could convince some of these teams to make a return trip to the Palestra ad opposed to BJC. Not that it would happen, but we sure would find out whether our basketball team was any good.

What other teams/ venues would you like to see Penn State basketball play in?

How about a few teams we could beat? Penn, Temple, St Joe in Philly, maybe UConn, St Johns, Syracuse, Georgetown, Xavier, Dayton, Boston U for Chambers homecoming?

How about a few teams we could beat? Penn, Temple, St Joe in Philly, maybe UConn, St Johns, Syracuse, Georgetown, Xavier, Dayton, Boston U for Chambers homecoming?
I see your logic, and these may be more winnable games, but won’t offer the splash of the opponents that I suggested. Your list is a lot more likely.

since basketball is getting very interesting at the end of this season, it’s been on my moping more that football or anything else sports related. Mark Packer was talking with Reese Davis about Kansas and said that this was the best place to see a college basketball game. I was thinking that instead of scheduling home games against cupcakes, it would be great if Penn State would try to schedule games against the big boys like Kansas and Duke. Of course, they may not want to do a home and home, but I’d be happy with a one way game when the students aren’t on campus.

The first two on my list are Kansas and Duke. UNC and Kentucky would also be on the list. I’d add UVA because my wife is a grad. I’d also like to play Nova in the Palestra every year. I guess playing Arizona, UCLA, St. Mary’s and Gonzaga would give us some west coast exposure. This isn’t a one season schedule, but maybe play one ACC team, one of Kansas/Kentucky, and one west coast team per year. Maybe we could convince some of these teams to make a return trip to the Palestra ad opposed to BJC. Not that it would happen, but we sure would find out whether our basketball team was any good.

What other teams/ venues would you like to see Penn State basketball play in?
Penn State played Duke fairly recently, in November of 2016 at a tournament in Connecticut.

They could be matched up in the ACC-B1G challenge, but I doubt Duke would go for a home-and-away.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Penn State played Duke fairly recently, in November of 2016 at a tournament in Connecticut.

They could be matched up in the ACC-B1G challenge, but I doubt Duke would go for a home-and-away.
I saw the game against Duke in CT. I don’t think PSU would be matched up against Duke any time soon as the generally try to have number 1 play number 1 and so on... it will be a while until we are recognized as one of the top two or three teams in the big ten.

I saw the game against Duke in CT. I don’t think PSU would be matched up against Duke any time soon as the generally try to have number 1 play number 1 and so on... it will be a while until we are recognized as one of the top two or three teams in the big ten.
Gotcha. Duke plays a wide variety of teams in November and December in Cameron, and I certainly recommend the experience of a game there for any good sports-related bucket list. So long as the ACC-B1G Challenge is in place, I doubt they'll schedule another B1G team other than in an early tournament.

If you happen to be in the Triangle area, I recommend a visit to the campus, which could include a tour of Cameron, now available most every day.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-honors-cameron-crazies-with-wall-exhibit/17252404/

345152-LBVLTNTTJEZMLUJ.20180112150617-DMID1-5dfd6en50-540x360.jpg

RD - A basketball game in KU’s Allen Fieldhouse is CBB’s equivalent to attending a CFB game in Beaver Stadium. I’ve been fortunate to personally attend over 100 games in these two combined venues.

Personally would prefer not to see PSU play KU.....I’m still recovering from the trauma of the PSU - KU Orange Bowl game!

RD - A basketball game in KU’s Allen Fieldhouse is CBB’s equivalent to attending a CFB game in Beaver Stadium. I’ve been fortunate to personally attend over 100 games in these two combined venues.

Personally would prefer not to see PSU play KU.....I’m still recovering from the trauma of the PSU - KU Orange Bowl game!
Okay, Illy, I have to ask...

I know you love your Jayhawks basketball and I know you often have an opinion on officiating, so just how did this happen in the game last week?
Kansas 77 -- West Virginia 69
Free throw attempts: Kansas 35 West Virginia 2

Okay, Illy, I have to ask...

I know you love your Jayhawks basketball and I know you often have an opinion on officiating, so just how did this happen in the game last week?
Kansas 77 -- West Virginia 69
Free throw attempts: Kansas 35 West Virginia 2

I watched the game Sat, very very bizarre.

KU’s playing with pretty much a one center / four guard offense and driving the ball to the basket like I’ve never seen before this year, so they are getting a lot of two shots when fouled. Higgins got two technicals at the end of the game so that added to the total.

WVU just took jump shot after jump shot after jump shot, seldom driving to the rim. Most of KU’s fouls were on rebounds so were non-shooting fouls for WVU.

WVU had 24 fouls, several in the final minute or two trying to stretch the clock. KU was also in the bonus at the end of each half.

KU had 14 fouls, so WVU was just getting to the bonus in each half.

A very strange game to watch. Even Self admitted he’d never seen a game like that before.

WVU could easily have won this game as they led by I think it was 11 midway through the second half and it was a one possession game with a minute to go, but WVU had 2-3 costly turnovers in the last 2-3 minutes of the game.

KU has played so many close games this year.....nice to see them destroy Oklahoma tonight 104-74.

Hope you are doing well!

Play Temple, Villanova, Pitt, Penn, and Bucknell every year. That plus the B1G-ACC opponent would create a very good SOS in most years.

Jerry Dunn was a bad coach, but used to schedule like this and made it to the poststeason more than his successors.

You don't have to overthink this one. It is a pretty logical OOC schedule for a school in the middle of PA.

Our bench would crush the woman’s team... seriously.
A pickup team of Penn State coaches, including Russ Rose, would crush the UCONN women's basketball team. Any mid-level high school boy's team would crush the UCONN girls. Form a team of the 10 best women basketball players on the planet and compete them against the 10 worst players in the NBA. The men would win 180 - 30 every time. It is simple biology and body characteristics.

A pickup team of Penn State coaches, including Russ Rose, would crush the UCONN women's basketball team. Any mid-level high school boy's team would crush the UCONN girls. It is simple biology and body characteristics.

You have got to be kidding me. You think Russ Rose and Penn State coaches are in the same shape as the UCONN women's basketball team. You think high school boys are as talented as the UCONN womens' team?

You must be joking.

Reactions: Cpeplion
You have got to be kidding me. You think Russ Rose and Penn State coaches are in the same shape as the UCONN women's basketball team. You think high school boys are as talented as the UCONN womens' team?

You must be joking.

Which size ball do they use? The ball used in the Women's game is an inch smaller in circumference.

A pickup team of Penn State coaches, including Russ Rose, would crush the UCONN women's basketball team. Any mid-level high school boy's team would crush the UCONN girls. Form a team of the 10 best women basketball players on the planet and compete them against the 10 worst players in the NBA. The men would win 180 - 30 every time. It is simple biology and body characteristics.

I understand the point you're trying to make but you're wrong.

Play Temple, Villanova, Pitt, Penn, and Bucknell every year. That plus the B1G-ACC opponent would create a very good SOS in most years.

Jerry Dunn was a bad coach, but used to schedule like this and made it to the poststeason more than his successors.

You don't have to overthink this one. It is a pretty logical OOC schedule for a school in the middle of PA.
I’d throw in Lehigh, too; play the road games at the new arena in Allentown.

Gotcha. Duke plays a wide variety of teams in November and December in Cameron, and I certainly recommend the experience of a game there for any good sports-related bucket list. So long as the ACC-B1G Challenge is in place, I doubt they'll schedule another B1G team other than in an early tournament.

If you happen to be in the Triangle area, I recommend a visit to the campus, which could include a tour of Cameron, now available most every day.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-honors-cameron-crazies-with-wall-exhibit/17252404/

345152-LBVLTNTTJEZMLUJ.20180112150617-DMID1-5dfd6en50-540x360.jpg
My wife is a HS guidance counselor and likes to visit some of the more prominent colleges/universities. We have talked about taking a trip and visiting Duke and UNC, and maybe a couple of other schools in the area.

Reactions: royboy
10 worst NBA players are a HUGE leap from the 10 best women players, and 10 UConn women are a HUGE leap from out of shape volleyball coaches and 15 year old boys.

I am nominating Lemon Ears' post as Dumb Post of the Week.

I second that

It's not the top end games that I worry about as much as the bottom end games. We can't under any scenario play a team like Coppin State. Everyone knew that they'd be one of the worst teams in the country, and those teams kill your SOS. Replace them with a better MAAC/NEC/Patriot team, or even just replace them with a Hampton (a team actually expected to compete in the MEAC or SWAC). But Coppin State was just an awful choice this year.

Reactions: bison13
It's not the top end games that I worry about as much as the bottom end games. We can't under any scenario play a team like Coppin State. Everyone knew that they'd be one of the worst teams in the country, and those teams kill your SOS. Replace them with a better MAAC/NEC/Patriot team, or even just replace them with a Hampton (a team actually expected to compete in the MEAC or SWAC). But Coppin State was just an awful choice this year.

You guys do realize it's not a one way deal right? Penn State does not sit back and pick whom it wants to play, and then plays them. Both teams have to agree to play - not one team deciding it wants to.

Play some A-10 teams as well and the previously mentioned Pa teams. Look to play VT or UVA as well.

You guys do realize it's not a one way deal right? Penn State does not sit back and pick whom it wants to play, and then plays them. Both teams have to agree to play - not one team deciding it wants to.

Sure...which is why I'll give them a pass on not playing a murder's row of home and homes every year. But to bring in Coppin State and not be able to find one of the 325 teams that will clearly be better than them in a season where you've got bubble aspirations...I just can't give them a pass for that one. Anyone that understands RPI could see that anchor coming from a mile away.

Yes, but we can schedule much better than we are. We all know that.

My wife is a HS guidance counselor and likes to visit some of the more prominent colleges/universities. We have talked about taking a trip and visiting Duke and UNC, and maybe a couple of other schools in the area.
Hey Dan, you would enjoy the area. Let me know if you make plans, and I'll suggest a few must-sees.

Yes, but we can schedule much better than we are. We all know that.

Can we ask better teams? Sure. Can they say no? Of course. Can they say yes? Sure. Can better and/or worse teams ask us, and can we say yes or no? Absolutely.

I don't think anyone on this board - and I do mean ANYONE - knows all the ins and outs and conversations that occur to schedule another program. So it's a bit far fetched for anyone to assume that they do know how we end up with the schedule.

To make a statement that "we can schedule better than we are. We all know that" is grossly presumptious.

Many of the comments were spot on, relative to what's best for getting an NCAA tournament bid. This was intended to be a wish list from a fan of CBB perspective, not the best strategy for building a NCAA tournament resume. No worries though, it was good conversation... except the part about a team of 50 year old men beating UConn women in basketball.

I understand the point you're trying to make but you're wrong.
A few decades ago I played basketball in a church league. We were mostly 30 - 40 something guys who were out of shape. Most of us played high school ball at one time. One of the guys had a sister who started on a major college team. He brought his sister and most of their starters to scrimmage us one Friday night. They were taller than most of us, could shoot much better than us, were in much better shape than us, could pass and dribble better than us, and played team ball far better than us. Nonetheless, we beat them easily. Why? We were much more physical and we could jump. We got tons of offensive rebounds to make up for our shooting weakness. Why can't women jump and why can't they get off their feet quickly? Why can't 6'5" women dunk easily? Why do women celebrate when a 6'9" women dunks with one hand on the ball and barely gets the ball over the rim? I don't understand it. Anyway, that is why I took the position I did. It was based on my experience many years ago.

Can we ask better teams? Sure. Can they say no? Of course. Can they say yes? Sure. Can better and/or worse teams ask us, and can we say yes or no? Absolutely.

I don't think anyone on this board - and I do mean ANYONE - knows all the ins and outs and conversations that occur to schedule another program. So it's a bit far fetched for anyone to assume that they do know how we end up with the schedule.

To make a statement that "we can schedule better than we are. We all know that" is grossly presumptious.

If you pay someone they will come. It's absolutely true. Just like we can for football. It's all about what you're willing to spend to do it and if you're willing to travel. Our non-conference schedule is a joke in both sports.

I watched the game Sat, very very bizarre.

KU’s playing with pretty much a one center / four guard offense and driving the ball to the basket like I’ve never seen before this year, so they are getting a lot of two shots when fouled. Higgins got two technicals at the end of the game so that added to the total.

WVU just took jump shot after jump shot after jump shot, seldom driving to the rim. Most of KU’s fouls were on rebounds so were non-shooting fouls for WVU.

WVU had 24 fouls, several in the final minute or two trying to stretch the clock. KU was also in the bonus at the end of each half.

KU had 14 fouls, so WVU was just getting to the bonus in each half.

A very strange game to watch. Even Self admitted he’d never seen a game like that before.

WVU could easily have won this game as they led by I think it was 11 midway through the second half and it was a one possession game with a minute to go, but WVU had 2-3 costly turnovers in the last 2-3 minutes of the game.

KU has played so many close games this year.....nice to see them destroy Oklahoma tonight 104-74.

Hope you are doing well!
Illinois, I'm a Wvu fan and I agree we mismanaged the last 4 minutes of the game.Kansas has the weakest 7' 285 lb player in America.He crashed to the floor wailing his arm like a helicopter when wvu's 6'8" 180 lb player put his hand on his hip.That was the worst call of the game.Well maybe the no call on Konate's 10 " jumpshot missed the rim by 3' because Azubuike hit him on both arms.Or Azubuike taking out Miles lower body while blocking his shot.STANGE things happen in the Fog when Wvu plays there.I wonder why Bilas didn't harp on these miscalls like he did on Wvu's in the first half.On another note there's no comparison between the talent level of these two teams.Just hope Kansas isn't one of the FBIs most wanted.All joking aside good teams overcome adversities and WVU just isn't a good team this year.

A few decades ago I played basketball in a church league. We were mostly 30 - 40 something guys who were out of shape. Most of us played high school ball at one time. One of the guys had a sister who started on a major college team. He brought his sister and most of their starters to scrimmage us one Friday night. They were taller than most of us, could shoot much better than us, were in much better shape than us, could pass and dribble better than us, and played team ball far better than us. Nonetheless, we beat them easily. Why? We were much more physical and we could jump. We got tons of offensive rebounds to make up for our shooting weakness. Why can't women jump and why can't they get off their feet quickly? Why can't 6'5" women dunk easily? Why do women celebrate when a 6'9" women dunks with one hand on the ball and barely gets the ball over the rim? I don't understand it. Anyway, that is why I took the position I did. It was based on my experience many years ago.

The women's game has improved over "many years" but that wasn't UConn that you played which is arguable 10 of the best 15 women in that age group. Russ Rose & co aren't beating UConn.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT