ADVERTISEMENT

McSorley v. Mayfield

I love when people who know little about the game make definitive statements. Mayfield has as good a chance of being successful at the next level as any qb in this draft. You like to post a lot. I think you need to post less and watch more football so you can make meaningful contributions to the board.

lol--when Baker succeeds at the next level you let me know.

3,965 yard passing win 8 INT's for Mayfield in his junior year with 177 yards rushing and 6 TD's.

3,570 yards passing with 8 INT's for Trace with 491 yards rushing and 11 TD's against real defenses.

Pretty close.

Trace had 10 picks for starters...didn't check the rest.
And I said Trace and Baker this year. We'll see if Trace makes that kind of jump--hopefully he does

Trace had 10 picks for starters...didn't check the rest.
And I said Trace and Baker this year. We'll see if Trace makes that kind of jump--hopefully he does
So you want to compare Trace's junior year with Mayfield's senior year? Yeah, that's a fair comparison.

I guess we'll see. I'd be very surprised if he's drafted but very happy for he kid
McGloin played in the league, so I can see him getting at least a shot. I cannot guarantee he'll make it, but Hack who has zero accuracy and less pocket presence is sticking around. Which one of those 3 would you take as a GM? Trace for me, but I see why you would be skeptical.

Reactions: BBrown
So you want to compare Trace's junior year with Mayfield's senior year? Yeah, that's a fair comparison.

Comparing them where they are right now which is how this thread started. And you lied with the stats--at least the picks

McGloin played in the league, so I can see him getting at least a shot. I cannot guarantee he'll make it, but Hack who has zero accuracy and less pocket presence is sticking around. Which one of those 3 would you take as a GM? Trace for me, but I see why you would be skeptical.

I'd take Hack every time because of the upside. I'd also take McGloin over Trace in the NFL because he has a better arm. I hope Trace gets a shot to play QB at the next level. He's a great kid.

One thing you can say about the stats, and hype going into next year: without a Lamar Jackson nor a Mayfield returning next year, if 1) Trace puts forth an improved season (as he has every year) and 2) we go undefeated or only lose one game, Trace will be invited to the Heisman ceremony.

Essentially, our dream season.

Comparing them where they are right now which is how this thread started. And you lied with the stats--at least the picks
Oops, I missed two picks for Trace because I looked at his sophomore year instead of his junior year. Even with 10 picks, still comparable. I think you're over valuing Mayfield and under valuing Trace...but that's not surprising. Maybe we should measure Barkley's freshman season with someone else's senior season to see who's better. Trace has a very good chance to match Mayfield's senior year and Trace didn't play his freshman year, so they're not as far apart as you like to think they are.

Reactions: Limestone_Lion
There's nothing wrong with being a great college QB, that doesn't play in the NFL. There's not even 25 really good NFL QB's, and half of them are old men. It takes a very special athlete.

The one thing Trace doesn't have is the arm strength to throw the quick out to the sideline. In the league, that is getting jumped every time by the corner. It's not an insult to observe that he doesn't have the arm for that. Not a lot of humans do.

Reactions: Picnits
One thing you can say about the stats, and hype going into next year: without a Lamar Jackson nor a Mayfield returning next year, if 1) Trace puts forth an improved season (as he has every year) and 2) we go undefeated or only lose one game, Trace will be invited to the Heisman ceremony.

Essentially, our dream season.
No, he has no chance because 78SweetRevenge says so.

I'd take Hack every time because of the upside.

Tall, strong arm kids may always get the benefit of the doubt, but anybody who watched Hack his last two years could see that he just didn't have the light come on during games.

Look no further than the TaxSlayer bowl. Trace came in with 2nd string reps and almost dug the team out of a hole.

I'd take Hack every time because of the upside. I'd also take McGloin over Trace in the NFL because he has a better arm. I hope Trace gets a shot to play QB at the next level. He's a great kid.
So you draft by a tape measure? An inaccurate immobile QB because he is taller and has a better arm. You work for the Browns? That was a softball question, didn't expect you to fail there's. Wow.

Tall, strong arm kids may always get the benefit of the doubt, but anybody who watched Hack his last two years could see that he just didn't have the light come on during games.

Look no further than the TaxSlayer bowl. Trace came in with 2nd string reps and almost dug the team out of a hole.

We didn't do him any favors. And I'm not blaming Franklin or anyone else. Hack should have probably transferred when Bill left. He didn't fit what Franklin wanted to do and Franklin's strength isn't working with guys like Hack. Hack was dealt a bad hand and he never complained about it. I think Hack has more skill than Trace but Trace is an infinitely better fit with Franklin.

So you draft by a tape measure? An inaccurate immobile QB because he is taller and has a better arm. You work for the Browns? That was a softball question, didn't expect you to fail there's. Wow.

Right--NFL doesn't draft on "potential"...okay
Hack can make throws the other two can't dream of making. If you trust your QB coach to develop you take a chance of Hack. None of the three are safe options

Hack was dealt a bad hand and he never complained about it.

Bill OB has no history of developing QBs either. Just like Charlie Weiss and Josh McDaniel, they benefitted from having Brady at QB. No more, no less. He made the decision to come play for an NFL guy with no PSU ties during sanctions. Doesn't sound like the fast track to the NFL to me.

I think Hack loved the school. I believe he wanted to be a part of the rebuild. I don't think he could have succeeded at a higher level even if he had transferred to Alabama.

Bill OB has no history of developing QBs either. Just like Charlie Weiss and Josh McDaniel, they benefitted from having Brady at QB. No more, no less. He made the decision to come play for an NFL guy with no PSU ties during sanctions. Doesn't sound like the fast track to the NFL to me.

I think Hack loved the school. I believe he wanted to be a part of the rebuild. I don't think he could have succeeded at a higher level even if he had transferred to Alabama.

Then we disagree which is fine

Reactions: djr4rebs
Give Trace on O-Line like Oklahoma's and I'll bet he outplays Mayfield. Put Barkley behind that line and Trace might hardly ever have to throw!!

There's nothing wrong with being a great college QB, that doesn't play in the NFL. There's not even 25 really good NFL QB's, and half of them are old men. It takes a very special athlete.

The one thing Trace doesn't have is the arm strength to throw the quick out to the sideline. In the league, that is getting jumped every time by the corner. It's not an insult to observe that he doesn't have the arm for that. Not a lot of humans do.

If you watch the games, Trace throws the sideline routes all the time. Many of our offensive game plans this year have heavily relied on Trace’s ability to attack the sidelines. Brady Quinn and other commentators have raved about his ability to drive the ball to the sideline. I really don’t know what people are watching when they ding him for arm strength. I think a lot of folks confuse size and his use of touch as meaning he lacks arm. He doesn’t throw a heater every time but QBs with a good feel for the game don’t do that. Rather, they vary ball speed based on situation. But if you watch the tape, he regularly throws with a lot of velocity when the situation call for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown
-Better pocket awareness? McSorley.
-Better runner? McSorley?
-Accuracy? McSorley.
-Finding secondary receivers? McSorley.
-Improvising? McSorley.
-Better Laxbro name? Baker freakin’ Mayfield.

I'm no Sooner or Mayfield fan, but no way McSorley is as accurate a passer as Mayfield. Neither is he as good at running around in the backfield, maintaining his calm, and scanning the field for open WR's. Don't get me wrong, Trace is good at that, but Mayfield is better. He made several amazing plays tonight. His Heisman is not all hype.

Loved the Laxbro reference.

Right--NFL doesn't draft on "potential"...okay
Hack can make throws the other two can't dream of making. If you trust your QB coach to develop you take a chance of Hack. None of the three are safe options
The problem with Hack was he has no pocket awareness, and is not very accurate throwing into tight windows which is required in the NFL and why he is not playing. Now he is a great kid and did have an amazing freshman campaign before our OL went to crap, but not sure any coach could have made him better including BOB had he stayed due to the OL problems and his inability to make the quick read/decision and get rid of the ball. Trace has that innate ability to move around in the pocket and make quick decisions and get the ball out and while he doesn't have near the measurable of Hack he has all the intangibles one wants in a QB.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
The problem with Hack was he has no pocket awareness, and is not very accurate throwing into tight windows which is required in the NFL and why he is not playing. Now he is a great kid and did have an amazing freshman campaign before our OL went to crap, but not sure any coach could have made him better including BOB had he stayed due to the OL problems and his inability to make the quick read/decision and get rid of the ball. Trace has that innate ability to move around in the pocket and make quick decisions and get the ball out and while he doesn't have near the measurable of Hack he has all the intangibles one wants in a QB.

I'd still gamble on Hack in the NFL because of upside. I'm not saying your points are invalid but I'm taking Hack in the draft before McSorley every time. Pretty sure McSorley won't go in the first two rounds (if at all) because he just doesn't have that upside teams want. Hopefully he makes a roster and has a successful NFL career. I'd bet Hack's already been on an NFL roster longer than McSorley will be though--JMO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT