ADVERTISEMENT

McSorley v. Mayfield

-Better pocket awareness? McSorley.
-Better runner? McSorley?
-Accuracy? McSorley.
-Finding secondary receivers? McSorley.
-Improvising? McSorley.
-Better Laxbro name? Baker freakin’ Mayfield.

You have some serious homer glasses on there. McSorely is one of the best in the country but no way is he more accurate than Mayfield. Stats don't bear it out. Mayfield has fantastic pocket awareness and creativity too. Keep in mind Trace has one more year in college. Let's compare what he does next year with Mayfield's 2017 season.

Reactions: bytir and psu2016
You have some serious homer glasses on there. McSorely is one of the best in the country but no way is he more accurate than Mayfield. Stats don't bear it out. Mayfield has fantastic pocket awareness and creativity too. Keep in mind Trace has one more year in college. Let's compare what he does next year with Mayfield's 2017 season.
Who is ‘McSorely’?

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Mayfield has half as many interceptions as McSorely this year. If Trace can limit the silly mistakes, then he would be neck and neck w Mayfield.

As for this season, Mayfield beats Trace in completion %, yards, TDs, turnovers and QB rating.

You forgot the big one: conference that plays no defense- Baker Mayfield.

Mayfield played 1 defense all year that ranked in the top 20...only 2 in top 50. 7 of the pass defenses faced were 90th or worse.

He's an outstanding football player but there was a time we'd have lumped him in with WAC QBs given the caliber of the defenses he faced. Such players never would have sniffed New York or a Heisman.

Regardless, I will give him credit for his performance in big games. He's a gamer.

Mayfield is more accurate and turns the ball over less. The rest are so close that they aren't even worth arguing over.

Mayfield has half as many interceptions as McSorely this year. If Trace can limit the silly mistakes, then he would be neck and neck w Mayfield.

As for this season, Mayfield beats Trace in completion %, yards, TDs, turnovers and QB rating.
Spoke too soon.

As he airmailed a pass to a safety. He's just a punk that I cannot root for.

I don't think anyone is rooting for him but as of this moment in time he's a better college QB than Trace McSorley and arguably everyone else in the college game. I hate the kid as much as I've hated any college player but he gets credit for his play...and gets attacked for his antics.

As he airmailed a pass to a safety. He's just a punk that I cannot root for.

Mayfield is a ball player. He was overlooked and plays with a big chip on his shoulder. Some GM is probably going to overdraft Josh Allen and look real stupid for passing on Mayfield when Allen tanks. (Just as guys like Wilson, Prescott, Keenum, Brees , etc .have made plenty of experts look foolish).

I don't think anyone is rooting for him but as of this moment in time he's a better college QB than Trace McSorley and arguably everyone else in the college game. I hate the kid as much as I've hated any college player but he gets credit for his play...and gets attacked for his antics.
System QB like other OU QB's who never do anything beyond college. You can think he is the greatest around right now, I'll disagree. Is he a great college QB, sure. So was Lamar Jackson and T Pryor and Braxton Miller. He plays in one of the best systems as does Trace. The problem is neither system translates well to the next level.

Reactions: BBrown
System QB like other OU QB's who never do anything beyond college. You can think he is the greatest around right now, I'll disagree. Is he a great college QB, sure. So was Lamar Jackson and T Pryor and Braxton Miller. He plays in one of the best systems as does Trace. The problem is neither system translates well to the next level.
And Tim Tebow and many others.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion

We agree on that.. He won't be successful at the next level. Neither will Trace

Both remind me if career backup Chase Daniels for Brees. I can see both doing something like that. Trace has really improved with anticipation and awareness.

Chase Daniel is best case for Baker. Are you convinced Trace gets a shot in the NFL? I agree his anticipation and awareness has improved but height is a huge concern with his lack of arm strength

Chase Daniel is best case for Baker. Are you convinced Trace gets a shot in the NFL? I agree his anticipation and awareness has improved but height is a huge concern with his lack of arm strength
He'll absolutely get a shot. Whether that is a mid round, late round, or FA shot will be the question.

Trace threw one deep in the end zone that took a very great play by the DB to make and the other was a deflection....not similar at all.

It was a bad over throw. The safety couldn't make the exact same centerfield type of play because the field position didn't allow it. Bad over throws are bad over throws.

Reactions: 78SweetRevenge
We agree on that.. He won't be successful at the next level. Neither will Trace

I love when people who know little about the game make definitive statements. Mayfield has as good a chance of being successful at the next level as any qb in this draft. You like to post a lot. I think you need to post less and watch more football so you can make meaningful contributions to the board.

They're not that close. Hopefully Trace '18 is close to or better than Baker '17. That would be great news
3,965 yard passing win 8 INT's for Mayfield in his junior year with 177 yards rushing and 6 TD's.

3,570 yards passing with 8 INT's for Trace with 491 yards rushing and 11 TD's against real defenses.

Pretty close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT