ADVERTISEMENT

MBB @ Iowa

bdgan

May 29, 2008
Absolutely horrible start. Down 13. Iowa shooting 69% as PSU gives up one uncontested layup after another.

Such a good coaching job from Rhoades to have us continually attack the rim after the T...whistle after whistle and got some much needed easy points at the line. Will need to hit some 3's to stay in this one (and continue not allowing Iowa to get second chances).

Really unfortunate that Wahab is done after this year...he's really played himself into an upper-level Big Ten 5.

PSU climbs back to witin 2 then Ace gets an unnecessary technical foul that turns into a 4 pt play. Then a turnover followed by fouling 3pt shooter. Lead quickly back to 10.

Crazy game for Ace. 0-7 in 1st half. Almost single handedly gets us back within 2, then a technical followed by back to back turnovers.

Last edited:
It’s crazy that 7 fouls were called on PSU in the first four minutes of the second half and not a single one on Iowa.
I imagine the official referee apologist will say they were all legit, but it is pretty clear these refs know Iowa is a bubble team.

Reactions: dswartz
I imagine the official referee apologist will say they were all legit, but it is pretty clear these refs know Iowa is a bubble team.
Take off the blue and white glasses if you think we're somehow getting hosed...although I'm sure you were very willing to call the officiating one-sided in our favor for every game down the stretch last year when we were on the bubble, right?

Amazing how it works that every single game, in every single sport, somehow the referees and announcers hate us.

It's tough to come back from such a horrible start on the road but they fought back until Baldwin had the worst few minutes of the season.

9 missed FTs haven't helped either.

The good news is PSU is winning offensive rebounds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obliviax
It's been a long time since we've had an ~11th man as good as Mitchell...he would have been playing 25-30 minutes a night on a lot of prior PSU teams.

Probably didn't matter but I didn't like Baldwin's intentional foul on Sanford. A stop would have given PSU a chance for a 3 to get within 3 with 20+ seconds to go.

Those early fouls put Iowa into the double bonus which makes any comeback difficult.

Hicks 1-10
Baldwin 5-15
10 missed FTs

Wahab had a good night

We really played at their pace tonight...Ace went the distance in a 79 possession game. Glad that we've got that week off coming up after Saturday as he'll really need it.

Take off the blue and white glasses if you think we're somehow getting hosed...although I'm sure you were very willing to call the officiating one-sided in our favor for every game down the stretch last year when we were on the bubble, right?

Amazing how it works that every single game, in every single sport, somehow the referees and announcers hate us.
Apparently we’re not the only ones that think this bald moron in stripes sucks - he has had it in for PSU for years before Rhoades got here…
https://www.change.org/p/big-ten-ba...ate-and-remove-dj-carstensen-big-ten-official

Apparently we’re not the only ones that think this bald moron in stripes sucks - he has had it in for PSU for years before Rhoades got here…
https://www.change.org/p/big-ten-ba...ate-and-remove-dj-carstensen-big-ten-official
"Had it in"? Or "he's a high profile official and probably about the only one in the country that the average PSU Basketball fan could pick out of a lineup"? What was bad about his performance tonight? I thought he missed the foul on Kern's drive that led to the T, but otherwise saw no issues.

As usual, I'm sure that DJ will be doing games into the second week of the tourney this year.

Thank God an 11th person didn't sign the petition, or the B1G might have been forced to take action due to such an overwhelming response.

Last edited:
We really played at their pace tonight...Ace went the distance in a 79 possession game. Glad that we've got that week off coming up after Saturday as he'll really need it.
Can't give up 90 and have such a bad start. Missed most of the game so don't know if Iowa was on fire with their shooting or our D was awful or a combo.

Can't give up 90 and have such a bad start. Missed most of the game so don't know if Iowa was on fire with their shooting or our D was awful or a combo.
Little of both...they got too many open looks and layups, but also made plenty of contested shots. Plus we sent them to the line way too much. However, we did a great job on the defensive glass, and limiting those second chance points really kept us in it. We started out really poorly on D, but settled in as the game went along and make them work a little more for it.

Little of both...they got too many open looks and layups, but also made plenty of contested shots. Plus we sent them to the line way too much. However, we did a great job on the defensive glass, and limiting those second chance points really kept us in it. We started out really poorly on D, but settled in as the game went along and make them work a little more for it.
I know Iowa is averaging over 80 points a game so this output is not out of character for them. Hoping Rhoades can build a defensive minded culture. He had that at VCU, no?

Well not sure what road team shows up in Minneapolis? Hopefully the one who beat Indiana and Rutgers (albeit an ugly win) on the road and played Maryland and NW tough on the road. Hopefully not the one who liked to sleepwalk through the beginning of the game or 2nd half.

I know Iowa is averaging over 80 points a game so this output is not out of character for them. Hoping Rhoades can build a defensive minded culture. He had that at VCU, no?
In his 6 years at VCU, Kenpom had their National Rankings at...

YearOverallOffensive EffDefensive Eff

"Had it in"? Or "he's a high profile official and probably about the only one in the country that the average PSU Basketball fan could pick out of a lineup"? What was bad about his performance tonight? I thought he missed the foul on Kern's drive that led to the T, but otherwise saw no issues.

As usual, I'm sure that DJ will be doing games into the second week of the tourney this year.

Thank God an 11th person didn't sign the petition, or the B1G might have been forced to take action due to such an overwhelming response.

I watch every Penn State game and know 80% of the officials names. I’m not making comment on what he does against others but when he’s there in our games things like last night happen routinely- that’s not an accident and journalists are starting to notice.

I watch every Penn State game and know 80% of the officials names. I’m not making comment on what he does against others but when he’s there in our games things like last night happen routinely- that’s not an accident and journalists are starting to notice.
Question…how many of those 3 times did DJ T him up?

Twice but if you don’t sit in the BJC for every home game you don’t have the sample size I do.

We didn’t play our best game and likely didn’t deserve to win but when you only lose by 9 despite 3 T’s called for far less than what I see others get away with in the BJC …. and the refs go on a 7-0 run of foul calls while we are drawing within 2 points… and ignoring Nick Kern being tackled on the way to the hoop I don’t know what else I can say.. we’ll have to agree to disagree but Carstensen has proved time and again that he can’t do his job fairly when he steps on the court for a PSU game .. he sucks.

Twice but if you don’t sit in the BJC for every home game you don’t have the sample size I do.

We didn’t play our best game and likely didn’t deserve to win but when you only lose by 9 despite 3 T’s called for far less than what I see others get away with in the BJC …. and the refs go on a 7-0 run of foul calls while we are drawing within 2 points… and ignoring Nick Kern being tackled on the way to the hoop I don’t know what else I can say.. we’ll have to agree to disagree but Carstensen has proved time and again that he can’t do his job fairly when he steps on the court for a PSU game .. he sucks.
How did DJ T him up twice if it was Harris that T’d him up in the NW game?

And you claim “3 Ts” and “less than others get away with”…Rhoades was an obvious T (responding to a bad call when his team was playing poorly). And Ace was an obvious T (when a ref takes his whistle out to tell you to stop and you say something else, you’re likely getting T’d up). There wasn’t a 3rd T.

Last edited:

I didn't see the game so have no idea how well it was officiated but Ben Jones tweeted out that this official was the official PSU's coach "called out" several weeks ago for bad officiating after a game. Ben Jones tweet:

Reactions: bison13
How did DJ T him up twice if it was Harris that T’d him up in the NW game?
2+1 = 3 but honestly I’m done with the conversation because you won’t convince me and I won’t convince you. I’ll leave at this:

1) Coach Rhoades called him out
2) Other journalists are calling him out
3) Steve Jones in his own sly way regularly calls him out on the radio broadcasts
4) Someone noticed enough to start a petition against him on line (it wasn’t me)
5) Years of observing through my own eye test - I know what I’ve seen and it’s not kosher

Too many conversations on this board end in name calling.. I don’t want to go there … can you at least acknowledge there’s smoke here?

2+1 = 3 but honestly I’m done with the conversation because you won’t convince me and I won’t convince you. I’ll leave at this:

1) Coach Rhoades called him out
2) Other journalists are calling him out
3) Steve Jones in his own sly way regularly calls him out on the radio broadcasts
4) Someone noticed enough to start a petition against him on line (it wasn’t me)
5) Years of observing through my own eye test - I know what I’ve seen and it’s not kosher

Too many conversations on this board end in name calling.. I don’t want to go there … can you at least acknowledge there’s smoke here?
Question…did DJ T us up last night?

I didn't see the game so have no idea how well it was officiated but Ben Jones tweeted out that this official was the official PSU's coach "called out" several weeks ago for bad officiating after a game. Ben Jones tweet:

Obli, this is like a game of telephone…Mike called out the officiating in general…Ben added commentary around DJ…that doesn’t make DJ “the official that Rhoades called out”.

I’m done … you’re sidestepping the main issue.. this is about a pattern that goes back years. I don’t want to fall into the “in your face” pattern that dominates this board and why I don’t post more often. You’re arguing just to argue at this point. Have a nice day.

And since you are being obstinate here it is straight from the SI article. Sense an undertone? Looks like 1+1 = 2 Any other questions?

The Nittany Lions (14-15, 8-10) closed that 17-point deficit to two in the second half, but Iowa cut off the rally and benefited from an odd technical foul call on Baldwin.

Just over three minutes into the half, Baldwin said something to an Iowa ball-handler and drew the technical from official D.J. Carstensen. Unlike the technical Penn State coach Mike Rhoades received in the first half (also from Carstensen), this one curbed a rally instead of beginning one. Iowa extended its lead to 10 points over the next 4 minutes, and then expanded it to 15 as Penn State went scoreless over a 3-minute stretch.

Obli, this is like a game of telephone…Mike called out the officiating in general…Ben added commentary around DJ…that doesn’t make DJ “the official that Rhoades called out”.
The point was that this one specific ref seems to be at the center of it.

And since you are being obstinate here it is straight from the SI article. Sense an undertone? Looks like 1+1 = 2 Any other questions?

The Nittany Lions (14-15, 8-10) closed that 17-point deficit to two in the second half, but Iowa cut off the rally and benefited from an odd technical foul call on Baldwin.

Just over three minutes into the half, Baldwin said something to an Iowa ball-handler and drew the technical from official D.J. Carstensen. Unlike the technical Penn State coach Mike Rhoades received in the first half (also from Carstensen), this one curbed a rally instead of beginning one. Iowa extended its lead to 10 points over the next 4 minutes, and then expanded it to 15 as Penn State went scoreless over a 3-minute stretch.
I mean, how much can we take from an article that doesn't even have the ability to fact check at all. That article is brutal. I think I can see why SI is dying.

DJ CARSTENSEN DIDN'T CALL ANY TECHNICAL FOULS LAST NIGHT.

And Ace didn't say anything to the player from Iowa on the play, he was complaining to Kip that he wanted a foul, and Kip T'd him up.

2+1 = 3 but honestly I’m done with the conversation because you won’t convince me and I won’t convince you.
FYI, Brent Hampton T'd up Mike in the NCAA game.

So, the complaining about DJ's T's against Rhoades are due to 3 games in which DJ called 0 Technicals.

can you at least acknowledge there’s smoke here?
I can acknowledge there is "smoke here" like there is "smoke" with every really good official that does a lot of high profile games. No one hates Brooks Wells because most couldn't pick him out of a lineup. People know who DJ is and think he sucks...just like people think Ted Valentine sucks, Ed Hightower sucked, Jim Burr sucked...and all of them think they are biased against their own team.

In the Iowa game at the BJC, we had a 31-10 FT advantage. Did you think the officiating was one-sided and that the fix was in for PSU? I certainly didn't. I saw a game where we were aggressive and Iowa was fouling a lot. But you read Iowa boards, and they'll tell you how bad of a job they did, and that they wanted PSU to win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT