ADVERTISEMENT

Mat Town Open II

And then there is that bit where Carter Starocci said Barr is a beast and is going to be a (multi) time national champion. That tends to clear up any remaining misconceptions I have.

That last time I heard that level of praise from one of our guys was Mark Hall talking about Carter during his Redshirt year.
I don’t think anybody is doubting Barr’s upside. It’s more to the point that people tend to downplay how good Truax is because he’s not out there teching everybody with 8 takedowns a match

Evans “putting it on” Vafiadis. 10-1 in 2nd. As someone else had said, I though a close, but controlled, win was more likely it in this one.

14-2 after two.

18-2 TF in 5:52

I wonder if the coaches told them bonus points would be part of the evaluation.

I don’t think anybody is doubting Barr’s upside. It’s more to the point that people tend to downplay how good Truax is because he’s not out there teching everybody with 8 takedowns a match
If Truax renamed himself Beau Bartlett, people wouldn't ask if the next guy were beating him in the room.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
R16 149 pounds- #7 David Evans vs. #10 Nick Vafiadis

P1:
Evans TD 3-0
Vafiadis quick escape 3-1
Evans TD 6-1
Evans with a hard ride
Evans 4 backs 10-1
Evans rides him out
Evans +1:12-min RT

P2:
Vafiadis down
Evans 4 backs 14-1
Vafiadis escape 14-2

P3:
Evans down
Evans escape 15-2
Evans +1:20 RT
Evans TD 18-2

Evans TF Vafiadis 18-2 (5:52)

Evans gets #18 S.Seefeldt in the quarters

I got distracted for a moment in the 1st period, so I hope I didn't mess up the scoring there.

Last edited:
Kasak draws Lehigh’s Reinsel next. Reinsel is 9-8 on the season and lost to Pierce 13-3 at Journeymen.

Evans has Penn’s Seefeldt. He entered the tourney 6-6 on the season, all in opens. He has a 15-2 loss to Miller, who I assume Pierce will wrestle today in the dual.

R16 149 pounds- #7 David Evans vs. #10 Nick Vafiadis

P1:
Evans TD 3-0
Vafiadis quick escape 3-1
Evans TD 6-1
Evans with a hard ride
Evans 4 backs 10-1
Evans 4 backs 14-1
Evans rides him out
Evans +1:12-min RT

P2:
Vafiadis down
Vafiadis escape 14-2

P3:
Evans down
Evans escape 15-2
Evans +1:20 RT
Evans TD 18-2

Evans TF Vafiadis 18-2 (5:52)

Evans gets #18 S.Seefeldt in the quarters

I got distracted for a moment in the 1st period, so I hope I didn't mess up the scoring there.
Not that it matters, but Flo shows the second 4-pt NF in the 2nd period.

Reactions: SlipperyPete12
R16 174 pounds- #3 Brian Borden vs. #14 George Rhodes

P1:
Borden TD 3-0
Borden with a hard ride
Borden +1-min RT
Rhodes escape 3-1
Borden +1:24 RT

P2:
Borden down
Rhodes with a hard ride, erases riding time
Borden escape 4-1

P3:
Rhodes down
Rhodes escape 4-2
Rhodes TD 5-4

Rhodes DEC Borden 5-4

That's it for me until after the Maryland match.

Reactions: danoftw and mcpat
R16 174 pounds- #3 Brian Borden vs. #14 George Rhodes

P1:
Borden TD 3-0
Borden with a hard ride
Borden +1-min RT
Rhodes escape 3-1
Borden +1:24 RT

P2:
Borden down
Rhodes with a hard ride, erases riding time
Borden escape 4-1

P3:
Rhodes down
Rhodes escape 4-2
Rhodes TD 5-4

Rhodes DEC Borden 5-4

That's it for me until after the Maryland match.
Thanks for the updates!

Reactions: danoftw
Quarter Final Matchups:
125- #3 J.Forrest vs. #6 B.Morvari
149- #1 T.Kasak vs. #5 O.Reinsel
149- #7 D.Evans vs. #18 S.Seefeldt
184- #1 J.Barr vs. #8 D.Barrett
184- #7 J.Kelly vs. #2 I.Bush
197- #1 L.Cochran vs. #9 J.List
197- #3 A.Fricchinoe vs. #6 S.Burrell

Consolation Matchups:
133- Cunningham MFF & is done
174- #3 B.Borden vs. #11 E.Thompson

Last edited:
Quarter Final Matchups:
125- #3 J.Forrest vs. #6 B.Morvari
149- #1 T.Kasak vs. #5 O.Reinsel
149- #7 D.Evans vs. #18 S.Seefeldt
184- #1 J.Barr vs. #8 D.Barrett
184- #7 J.Kelly vs. #2 I.Bush
197- #1 L.Cochran vs. #9 J.List
197- #3 A.Fricchinoe vs. #6 S.Burrell

Consolation Matchups:
133- Cunningham MFF & is done
174- #3 B.Borden vs. #11 E.Thompson
Thanks for the updates

QF 125 pounds- #3 J.Forrest vs. #6 B.Morvari

P1:
Jax TD 3-0
Jax 4 NF 7-0
Morvari escape 7-1
Jax TD 10-1
Morvari escape 10-2
Jax TD 13-2
Morvari escape 13-3
Jax +1:01 RT

P2:
Jax down
Jax quick escape 14-3 (+:57 RT)
Jax TD 17-3
Morvari escape 17-4
Jax TD 20-4

Jax TF Morvari 20-4 (3:47)

QF 149 pounds- #1 Tyler Kasak vs. #5 Owen Reinsel

P1:
Kasak TD 3-0
Kasak with a hard ride, goes over 1-min RT.
Reinsel escape 3-1
Kasak +1:02 RT

P2:
Reinsel down
Kasak riding tough (+1:55 RT)
Reinsel escape 3-2

P3:
Kasak down
Kasak reversal 5-2
RT locked for Kasak
Kasak rides him out
Kasak +3:05 RT

Kasak DEC Reinsel 6-2

QF 149 pounds- #7 David Evans vs. #18 Sean Seefeldt

P1:
Evans TD 3-0
Seefeldt escape 3-1
Evans TD 6-1
Evans +1:06 RT

P2:
Evans down
Evans escape 7-1
Evans TD 10-1
Seefeldt escape 10-2

P3:
Seefeldt down
Evans with a tough ride (+2-min RT)
Seefeldt escape 10-3
Evans +2:41 RT

Evans MD Seefeldt 11-3

Evans takes on Lehigh’s Kelvin Griffin in the semifinals. Griffin is a redshirt freshman and was 15-8 on the season before this tournament. He has notable wins over Princeton’s Eligh Rivera and Indiana’s Graham Rooks, the latter by fall. SVN pinned him in 1:30 at Journeymen.

Kasak will also meet a Lehigh wrestler in the semis, Matt Repos. Repos is a true freshman and was 8-6 coming into the tournament. He won his QF in TB2.

Kasak draws Lehigh’s Reinsel next. Reinsel is 9-8 on the season and lost to Pierce 13-3 at Journeymen.

Evans has Penn’s Seefeldt. He entered the tourney 6-6 on the season, all in opens. He has a 15-2 loss to Miller, who I assume Pierce will wrestle today in the dual.
Seefeldt pinned Munch, was down 9-6 and took Munch feet to back.

Reactions: mcpat
So the winner of Kasak/Evans basically gets the 149 spot?
IMO regardless of outcome it should be Kasak, otherwise he burns his shirt this year, then sits next year. No bueno. He is a future starter, that RS year is valuable. Evans is a stud but given the familiarity, I am not a huge fan of head to head in the same room being the primary measure. That aside my money is on Kasak with a decision.

So the winner of Kasak/Evans basically gets the 149 spot?

I don't think that's been written or even suggested anywhere. The coaches have likely seen them plenty, they have at least one meeting this year in an earlier tournament and the coaches will decide who they wish to go with. I think the big wild card is that Kasak's redshirt still could be saved if that was a huge concern. Honestly, as well as PSU has recruited of late, I don't really think it's a huge deal one way or the other and I presume the coaches will choose the wrestler that they believe will qualify and score more at nationals (not to mention Goggles' point above that we'll likely have Bartlett and Van Ness at 141 and 149 next year and a redshirt for Kasak makes more sense next year than this year). I truly believe that it's REALLY close with these two guys though.

I don't think that's been written or even suggested anywhere. The coaches have likely seen them plenty, they have at least one meeting this year in an earlier tournament and the coaches will decide who they wish to go with. I think the big wild card is that Kasak's redshirt still could be saved if that was a huge concern. Honestly, as well as PSU has recruited of late, I don't really think it's a huge deal one way or the other and I presume the coaches will choose the wrestler that they believe will qualify and score more at nationals (not to mention Goggles' point above that we'll likely have Bartlett and Van Ness at 141 and 149 next year and a redshirt for Kasak makes more sense next year than this year). I truly believe that it's REALLY close with these two guys though.

• Haha
Reactions: PAwrestling
IMO regardless of outcome it should be Kasak, otherwise he burns his shirt this year, then sits next year. No bueno. He is a future starter, that RS year is valuable. Evans is a stud but given the familiarity, I am not a huge fan of head to head in the same room being the primary measure. That aside my money is on Kasak with a decision.
It should be Kasak even if Evans outperforms him? That seems a little strange to me. I get that head to head alone doesn’t decide it. But overall performance should and not someone’s future status.

Well, Mineo doesn't have a universally well-accepted reputation for stuff like this, but that may be the case. Keep in mind that Kasak won in a previous open tournament, so what if Evans wins a really close match this time? Then they're 1-1 against each other and the coaches still likely choose who they want (given that Kasak's shirt would be burnt if he goes again if I'm not mistaken). I tend to agree with Goggles though, I like Kasak a TINY bit more (at least at 149) and think it makes sense for him to go this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT