ADVERTISEMENT

Mat Town Open II

Evans vs Bryce Kresho, F&M unattached in 1st round.

Kresho is a sophomore and 12-10 on the season. He was 8-13 as a true freshman starter last year. 4x placer; 1x Champ out of Georgia where he went 160-4 in high school. He’s listed at 141 on F&M’s website. Started at 149 last year.

I wonder if Barr beats or is close to beating Truax in the room Barr just seems like he is more after it than truax
So, there is a basketball podcast I used to listen to called Cookies.

They introduced the idea of “Dribble bias.” Which is the idea that we tend to view a player as better than they are if they often have the ball in their hands or are a flashy dribbler.

So to bring this back around to wrestling, I sometimes think we can be guilty of shot bias. In that, if a wrestler is taking a lot of shots, we tend to believe it means they’re sometimes better than they are.

I think Josh is an awesome prospect. And maybe he is pushing Bernie! But the difference in styles I think lends itself to some potential misconceptions.

For match count it is only D1 competion that counts, right? If F&M D1? I do think most of the 149 participants are D1 though.

Reactions: hlstone
Kasak’s first match will be against Cam McKay of GMU. Wrestlestat shows two matches for him, both losses, one to a D2 guy. But he won his 1st round match today. GMU website says he’s a true freshman and was a VA state champ.

Evans’ 2nd match will be against Nick Vafiadis of Navy. Vafiadis is a freshman and 12-10 on the season. He went to Naval Academy prep school last year, so he’s (at least) two years out of high school. He was a 4x VA state champ and placed at Ironman and BoE. 2019 nationals cadet runner-up. His last two state championships are at 160 lbs.

They introduced the idea of “Dribble bias.” Which is the idea that we tend to view a player as better than they are if they often have the ball in their hands or are a flashy dribbler.

So to bring this back around to wrestling, I sometimes think we can be guilty of shot bias. In that, if a wrestler is taking a lot of shots, we tend to believe it means they’re sometimes better than they are.

I think Josh is an awesome prospect. And maybe he is pushing Bernie! But the difference in styles I think lends itself to some potential misconceptions.
You lost me at "basketball".

I wonder if Barr beats or is close to beating Truax in the room Barr just seems like he is more after it than truax
Style over substance.

Truax has finished top 4 at nationals 3x, and people ask if he's losing to a true freshman in the room. Nothing against Barr, fantastic prospect, but his only ranked win is 2-1 over 13 Nolan. So this is simply not giving Truax the credit he has earned, which is because he's not another Jason Nolf.

Let's reverse this thinking process: Barr's only match against a ranked wrestler was a 2-1 contest. If he wrestles 2-1 type matches against most ranked guys, do people still ask if he's beating Truax in the room?

R16 matchups:

133- #14 Cunningham vs. #3 J.Eisch
149- #1 Kasak vs. #16 C.McKay
149- #7 Evans vs. #10 N.Vafiadis
174- #3 Borden vs. #14 G.Rhodes
184- #1 Barr Bye & into Quarter Finals
184- #7 Kelly vs. #10 E.Anthony
197- #1 Cochran Bye & into Quarter Finals
197- #3 Fricchione vs. #14 C.Levey

Kasak’s first match will be against Cam McKay of GMU. Wrestlestat shows two matches for him, both losses, one to a D2 guy. But he won his 1st round match today. GMU website says he’s a true freshman and was a VA state champ.

Evans’ 2nd match will be against Nick Vafiadis of Navy. Vafiadis is a freshman and 12-10 on the season. He went to Naval Academy prep school last year, so he’s (at least) two years out of high school. He was a 4x VA state champ and placed at Ironman and BoE. 2019 nationals cadet runner-up.
Vafiadis is/was pretty good, but very good defense, not much offense. It would not surprise me if this match was kinda close with Evans ultimately coming out on top.

Of course, Evans will probably tech him now that I've posted this.

• Haha
Reactions: danoftw and mcpat

"Dribble bias" sounds like the result of incontinence.

And then there is that bit where Carter Starocci said Barr is a beast and is going to be a (multi) time national champion. That tends to clear up any remaining misconceptions I have.

That last time I heard that level of praise from one of our guys was Mark Hall talking about Carter during his Redshirt year.

And then there is that bit where Carter Starocci said Barr is a beast and is going to be a (multi) time national champion. That tends to clear up any remaining misconceptions I have.

That last time I heard that level of praise from one of our guys was Mark Hall talking about Carter during his Redshirt year.
Bingo

R16 133 pounds- #14 Hayden Cunningham vs. #3 Jager Eisch

P1:
Cunningham TD 3-0
Eisch reversal 3-2
Eisch riding tough
Eisch erased 30-sec riding time
Eisch rides him out
Eisch +1:03 RT

P2:
Cunningham down
Eisch riding tough
Eisch +2-min RT
Cunningham gets a point for something, Eisch still on top
Cunningham 4-2
Eisch FALL

Eisch FALL Cunningham 4:37

There were a bunch of stoppages during this one, but the FLO dashboard doesn't help explain those.

Hayden with a TD in the first.
Gets reversed and is ridden out (1:03 RT Eisch) 3-2

Takes bottom in 2nd. Getting ridden again (this has been a theme for Hayden this year)
Gets a point 4-2 on stalling on Eisch.
Injury default

Never got off bottom. Definitely something he needs to improve greatly - as I said, from my recollection this has been a problem for him this year. Not uncommon for a kid coming out of HS. I would guess that's why he chose bottom in the 2nd - needs the work.

Eisch is good - has wins over Cronin, Seltzer, Basile, etc. in his career. Only loss this season is to teammate Wells who is also pretty good.

Hayden with a TD in the first.
Gets reversed and is ridden out (1:03 RT Eisch) 3-2

Takes bottom in 2nd. Getting ridden again (this has been a theme for Hayden this year)
Gets a point 4-2 on stalling on Eisch.
Injury default

Never got off bottom. Definitely something he needs to improve greatly - as I said, from my recollection this has been a problem for him this year. Not uncommon for a kid coming out of HS. I would guess that's why he chose bottom in the 2nd - needs the work.

Eisch is good - has wins over Cronin, Seltzer, Basile, etc. in his career. Only loss this season is to teammate Wells who is also pretty good.
He also lost to Dominic Serrano from Northern Colorado who is currently ranked 16 by Flo.

Reactions: mcpat and dicemen99

I would not bet against multiple NC’s for Barr right now. If this is in comparison to Barr being better/able to beat/score more points at NCAA’s than Truax currently, I would bet against that. If not, I apologize🙂

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT