ADVERTISEMENT

Malpractice by Moorhead--not getting Saquon to the edge

OSU was not more talented than us. Dont give me recruiting rankings, they go out the door as soon as they step on campus. We had a 15 point lead in the 4th qtr, we should have closed out the game.
Their front seven is more talented and deep, and their O line is much more talented. I'd call it a wash on offensive skill positions, and we have a slight edge in the defensive secondary.

It's OK if you want to say that Moorhead was the only reason we lost tOSU and MSU, but then you have to say that he's the only reason we won all of the other games.

OSU was not more talented than us. Dont give me recruiting rankings, they go out the door as soon as they step on campus. We had a 15 point lead in the 4th qtr, we should have closed out the game.
No actually they were more talented if you look at the entire roster. TE, RB, and QB all to PSU IMO....I'll say that. OL, DL, LB, and DB's...OSU...WR's a push...but that is being a bit of a homer as OSU clearly has some freaks out wide too. If you don't think they were more talented, just watch that entire DL get drafted the next 2 years as well as those behind them...then watch for the PSU DL and LB's the next 2 years to get drafted. The good news is PSU is catching up there, but to say they don't have more talent is such a homer thing. If anything it shows how much better the coaching is in HV.

OSU had 2 DL on the first Team all conference once on the second. PSU had NONE.
OSU had 3 OL on the first team all conference, PSU had NONE.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUoh90
Their front seven is more talented and deep, and their O line is much more talented. I'd call it a wash on offensive skill positions, and we have a slight edge in the defensive secondary.

It's OK if you want to say that Moorhead was the only reason we lost tOSU and MSU, but then you have to say that he's the only reason we won all of the other games.
I didnt say that, but to say we arent as talented, is not correct, IMO.

After taking over an offense that ranked 110th, and 101st, in the nation the previous two years (just behind Florida International, Akron, and Eastern Michigan)

And inheriting a starting Quarterback with ZERO P5 scholarship offers as a QB.

And, over the succeeding two years required 34 starts by FRESHMAN offensive linemen, and 37 starts by SOPHOMORE offensive linemen.

Over the last two years:

The Penn State offense has averaged more than 38 points per game in each year.
Something, that in the entire 100+ year history of Penn State football had happened exactly ZERO times before.

Over the last two years:

Penn State's tailback (Barkley) will have accumulated well over 4,000 yards of total offense, and about 45 touchdowns.
Something, that in the entire 100+ year history of Penn State football had happened exactly ZERO times before.

It is comforting to know that on this Board, there remain douche-nozzles with the INCREDIBLE ability to look beyond all of that nonsense and recognize that the offense was a train wreck, and the offensive co-ordinator was a malfeasant idiot.

I think we can all now rest assured in the knowledge that there is absolute NOTHING that will ever undermine the will of the epically stupid, to persevere with their blatherings of idiocy.

Thank You :)

^^This^^
The definitive post in this thread. We can all "move on" now.
giphy.gif

Well said. Overall, Moorhead was a major positive to the program. Major. But, he is not nor should he be immune from criticism. And I will never be convinced that he couldn't have done more to give Barkley opportunities in space. And while it's likely Barkley won't be the beneficiary of it, I am hopeful that Rahne may be more willing to be a little more flexible in his approach.

I don't mind some criticism but some of these threads blaming Moorhead for everything are ridiculous.

Last edited:
I'm not saying Love's stats aren't impressive: 1,900 + in rushing, compared to Barkley's 1,100.
TDs were about the same 17 to 16.

BUT, receiving yardage was Saquon's 594 to Love's....33.

Plus, Barkley had 2 kickoffs returned for a score.

He should have been invited.

He had the numbers.

and the Wiscy back, Taylor, had some eye popping numbers as well... until he played a defense with a pulse.
Opposition matters.

No actually they were more talented if you look at the entire roster. TE, RB, and QB all to PSU IMO....I'll say that. OL, DL, LB, and DB's...OSU...WR's a push...but that is being a bit of a homer as OSU clearly has some freaks out wide too. If you don't think they were more talented, just watch that entire DL get drafted the next 2 years as well as those behind them...then watch for the PSU DL and LB's the next 2 years to get drafted. The good news is PSU is catching up there, but to say they don't have more talent is such a homer thing. If anything it shows how much better the coaching is in HV.

OSU had 2 DL on the first Team all conference once on the second. PSU had NONE.
OSU had 3 OL on the first team all conference, PSU had NONE.
you really evaluate talent based on all conference selections? really?? Hey to the victors go the spoils.

I've heard and read that other places (not just this board) but have no idea if its true or not.
I've have heard he was recruited as a safety, but I heard CJF flipped him from a Vandy commitment to a PSU. I would find it odd, that CJF would say he could play Safety at Vandy, but at PSU he could play QB. But I really dont know.
I know Tommy Stevens was rated 3 stars, but I thought he had Power 5 offers as well as a QB. I believe, Indiana.

you really evaluate talent based on all conference selections? really?? Hey to the victors go the spoils.
You want to make bets on the draft for the next 2 years as to which team has more drafted or is the only metric you want to count is your keyboard? You love to toss out opinions, but have a real hard time backing them up.

A one point loss at the shoe to a good tOSU team is not a sign of bad coaching...it's actually quite the opposite.

You want to make bets on the draft for the next 2 years as to which team has more drafted or is the only metric you want to count is your keyboard? You love to toss out opinions, but have a real hard time backing them up.
sure.

So Moorhead was perfect over the course of 2 seasons and zero mistakes were made, got it. Love what he did but sheesh.

I'm easy $100 OSU has more people drafted the next 2 years overall. I won't even collect as it's more to prove my point, but I know which team will have more drafted the next 2 years even after sending 11 or so just last year.
so you are talking quantity over quality? so having 3 7 round picks as opposed to the say, the first over all pick means a team is more talented? I would rather do it by the ranking of each draft slot and adding the total points But if you feel that is too complicated, or doesnt fit your agenda, I'll mark you down for $100. Its your call.

so you are talking quantity over quality? so having 3 7 round picks as opposed to the say, the first over all pick means a team is more talented? I would rather do it by the ranking of each draft slot and adding the total points But if you feel that is too complicated, or doesnt fit your agenda, I'll mark you down for $100. Its your call.
Oh so you're already moving the goal posts...I said OSU will have more players drafted this year and next and they will. Just as they did last year when PSU beat them due to superior coaching. Yes that means the OVERALL talent is better on that roster and you can ask any NFL GM around or anyone else since you clearly are delusional. I'm not changing a thing...OSU will have more players drafted the next 2 years. PSU is closing that gap thanks to a great young energetic HC, but OSU has more talent then PSU does.

First it was don't look at recruiting classes where OSU has had top 5 class after top 5 class.
Next it was all conference doesn't matter.
Now it is PSU may have Barkley go in the top 5 so that means PSU is more talented.

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2017/...-updated-4-round-projections-after-week-12/4/

OSU has 5 projected in the first 2 rounds there...PSU has 2.

You honestly suck at logic and critical thinking and I'll take the $100 to be honest just because it's you. :) In fact you can give it to Thon...that will work.

Last edited:
Oh so you're already moving the goal posts...I said OSU will have more players drafted this year and next and they will. Just as they did last year when PSU beat them due to superior coaching. Yes that means the OVERALL talent is better on that roster and you can ask any NFL GM around or anyone else since you clearly are delusional. I'm not changing a thing...OSU will have more players drafted the next 2 years. PSU is closing that gap thanks to a great young energetic HC, but OSU has more talent then PSU does.

First it was don't look at recruiting classes where OSU has had top 5 class after top 5 class.
Next it was all conference doesn't matter.
Now it is PSU may have Barkley go in the top 5 so that means PSU is more talented.

You honestly suck at logic and critical thinking and I'll take the $100 to be honest just because it's you. :) If fact you can give it to Thon...that will work.
I said this, 'But if you feel that is too complicated, or doesnt fit your agenda, I'll mark you down for $100. Its your call.' it's your call, I couldnt have been more clear, again however you want, its your call. I would much rather give it to you, and if you want to give to Thon fine. But you leave out the possibility that you will have to give the $100 to me. One thing I know is that, I'll be rooting for PSU players to be drafted, and you will be hoping OSU players get picked.

I said this, 'But if you feel that is too complicated, or doesnt fit your agenda, I'll mark you down for $100. Its your call.' it's your call, I couldnt have been more clear, again however you want, its your call. I would much rather give it to you, and if you want to give to Thon fine. But you leave out the possibility that you will have to give the $100 to me. One thing I know is that, I'll be rooting for PSU players to be drafted, and you will be hoping OSU players get picked.

Actually your last statement is just idiotic. Look at the mock draft I posted...look at last years draft and the last few. OSU is mass producing NFL talent. PSU is just starting to recruit with them. You made a dumb statement about the talent level between the two. I countered it and you still tried to say it was even.

I love all of the PSU players on this squad...all seem great, but I can also see that OSU will have more kids drafted. It's not my fault you made a bad statement and now want to spin it on me that I'm hating on PSU. I'm not, I'm hating on the guy that hates on the coaching for PSU. In fact this shows to what level you're in denial about the coaching as can't even admit something like this. You know why, because then you have to admit what a great job Frankling and Jo Mo did the last 2 years. LOL@U

Reactions: Mixolydian
Actually your last statement is just idiotic. Look at the mock draft I posted...look at last years draft and the last few. OSU is mass producing NFL talent. PSU is just starting to recruit with them. You made a dumb statement about the talent level between the two. I countered it and you still tried to say it was even.

I love all of the PSU players on this squad...all seem great, but I can also see that OSU will have more kids drafted. It's not my fault you made a bad statement and now want to spin it on me that I'm hating on PSU. I'm not, I'm hating on the guy that hates on the coaching for PSU. In fact this shows to what level you're in denial about the coaching as can't even admit something like this. You know why, because then you have to admit what a great job Frankling and Jo Mo did the last 2 years. LOL@U
the question at hand is, do we have a bet or not?

I didnt say that, but to say we arent as talented, is not correct, IMO.

Coach Sluggowood72 coming through again.

You've got your head buried very deep in the sand if you think OSU/PSU are on the same talent level. PSU is the better "team" but OSU has far more overall talent. Only a fool would think otherwise.

Ohio State currently is more talented. That doesn't mean they are the better team. Talent doesn't always translate that way. They have to fit scheme and play as a team. But I don't think anyone, even Franklin, could honestly say we have as much talent.

Coach Sluggowood72 coming through again.

You've got your head buried very deep in the sand if you think OSU/PSU are on the same talent level. PSU is the better "team" but OSU has far more overall talent. Only a fool would think otherwise.
that's a really confusing statement, PSU is the better team, but OSU has more talent. So better teams can't beat better talent? How can a team be better without talent? Are you saying that PSU had better coaches than OSU and that's why they would win? How to you evaluate talent at the college level? By draft positions? By recruiting rankings? By all league selections?
which leads to questions like, how do walk ons beat out scholarship players? How do undrafted players beat out drafted players in the NFL?

that's a really confusing statement, PSU is the better team, but OSU has more talent. So better teams can't beat better talent? How can a team be better without talent? Are you saying that PSU had better coaches than OSU and that's why they would win? How to you evaluate talent at the college level? By draft positions? By recruiting rankings? By all league selections?
which leads to questions like, how do walk ons beat out scholarship players? How do undrafted players beat out drafted players in the NFL?

Christ you really are dumb as hell. The point is that OSU has far more talent however they don't play as a team. They are a collection of stars. PSU, while not having as much talent across the board, is a better team because the pieces play better as a whole. With the talent OSU has they should have blown us out of the water the past two season, but they didn't. Some of PSU's first string talent is as good as OSU however the depth is sorely lacking.

I'm not going to waste the time trying to convince you that you're wrong because you don't have the intellect to understand how stupid your opinions are.

Yes, you will pay Thon $100 next year after the draft. I will do the same in turn.
you said, 'I'm easy $100 OSU has more people drafted the next 2 years overall.' So according to your bet, we will square up after the 2019 draft correct?

That's a stretch the other way is it not? If you are in a position to have a set of plays called and they do not work and yet they continued to be called, that is a lack of adaptability on the coach regardless of execution by the players. You do realize the game at OSU was won. The critical series after our recovery of the turnover in OSU territory, the fan base or the home crowd was in mass exodus mode literally leaving the stadium by the thousands and what do you call first play??? the same play that was called at least 7 time prior that nets a 6 yard loss. That is failure to recognize the moment and the surroundings. Instead --- nose buried in chart --says do this--- lost you the game.
What plays should he have called for an exhausted OL vs a top ranked DL off a bye?

And what defensive plays should he have called when the DL couldn't get to barrett?

What plays should he have called for an exhausted OL vs a top ranked DL off a bye?

And what defensive plays should he have called when the DL couldn't get to barrett?

Hogwash. He didn’t call any plays because of an exhausted OL.

Again, since I always follow the 11th Commandment, this is NOT a criticism of Moorhead, or any other coach, living or deceased.

HOWEVER, using MSU as an example, in the 1st half SB had 6 carries for 0 yards; all the carries were RPO-type plays between the tackles.
In the 2nd half, he had 8 carries for 63 yards. His first 2 carries of the 2nd half were sweeps - first one was left for 3 yards and the 2nd was to the right for 36 yards. After that, his 6 other carries were RPO-type runs, one of which gained one yard and the other 5 were for 7, 3, 4, 4 and 5 yards.

Now, did MSU adjust their defense some, given the threat of a sweep, so that the RPO opened up some, to the extent that SB had no negative rushing plays in the 2nd half. I can't prove that, but it at least seems plausible.

All season, as a trend, it appeared to this fan that SB had more consistent success in the run game on the outside, albeit with a small sample to compare since most of his carries were between the tackles, RPO-type runs. To this simple mind, it makes sense to put an all-world back, with breakaway speed, on the edge, in space, where he can create and make people miss.

Please do not take this in any way to be CRITICISM of the PSU coaches, as they are all football geniuses that are light years smarter than me. I know, as a simple mind, that it was easy to get excited when you saw SB on the edge this season. And yes, he also had some success between the tackles, TBH.

you said, 'I'm easy $100 OSU has more people drafted the next 2 years overall.' So according to your bet, we will square up after the 2019 draft correct?
Correct, draft this year and next. Which ever team has more drafted in the 7 rounds in each year. It will only further my point about what a good job this staff has been doing....thanks for the contribution to Thon.

We are still considerably behind OSU in elite talent on the field and depth. Catching up though...
Exactly. The gap is closing, but OSU has been churning out some talent. Hell I follow the Saints and seeing Bell, Michael Thomas, and Lattimore have brought in from tOSU, it makes me wonder how he wasn't winning more games to be honest as NOBODY in the B!G was on par with tOSU. In fact after watching the game this year and knowing the talent disparity, I'm very hopeful for the future. OSU seems to lack discipline at times to be honest, much like his UF teams just before he folded on them. No doubt about the talent Meyer can bring in and he is a good coach, but how many false starts and bone head plays did OSU have this year? A ton IIRC.

Correct, draft this year and next. Which ever team has more drafted in the 7 rounds in each year. It will only further my point about what a good job this staff has been doing....thanks for the contribution to Thon.
this is what I said,
'So according to your bet, we will square up after the 2019 draft correct?'

and you said correct. So we are clear, we will add up the number on draft choices for each team (PSU, OSU) after the 2018, and 2019 draft and if PSU has the most total picks in those 2 drafts, you will pay Thon $100, and if OSU has the most total picks I will pay thon ($100), correct?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT