ADVERTISEMENT

Malpractice by Moorhead--not getting Saquon to the edge

Cost him the Heisman and cost us some wins. He did a lot of good for passing offense, but hurt a once in a lifetime RB talent. Hope Rahne is better in running game calls.
I would say Mr. Wright, Mr. Gesicki, Mr. Fries, and Mr. Nelson should also be named in your malpractice lawsuit.

Maybe Mr. McSorley as well. *roll eyes

Reactions: THEEHMANN
Cost him the Heisman and cost us some wins. He did a lot of good for passing offense, but hurt a once in a lifetime RB talent. Hope Rahne is better in running game calls.
Many of us were frustrated that Barkley wasn’t able to be showcased more this year, but you have overstated Moorhead’s failure and he certainly didn’t cost us games.

Stop it. Moorhead helped get us to where we are perhaps more than any other coach. Think back just two years ago at that disaster.

This is shameful, he wasn't perfect, nobody is but he was pretty damn great at calling plays. Playing with a lead isn't his strong suit but how much of that is on the Oline anyway?

Not having sets for Tommy Stevens in our 2 biggest games of the year was ? at best since it had been so effective but still. Guy was great while he was here and played a key role in putting us on the map. Stop acting like spoiled brats and pray Rahne learned a lot from him and can add some elements to improve the offense.

Stop it. Moorhead helped get us to where we are perhaps more than any other coach. Think back just two years ago at that disaster.

This is shameful, he wasn't perfect, nobody is but he was pretty damn great at calling plays. Playing with a lead isn't his strong suit but how much of that is on the Oline anyway?

Not having sets for Tommy Stevens in our 2 biggest games of the year was ? at best since it had been so effective but still. Guy was great while he was here and played a key role in putting us on the map. Stop acting like spoiled brats and pray Rahne learned a lot from him and can add some elements to improve the offense.
This is about right. And agree on stop it!

We didn’t have the online to play smashmouth with the lead. Moorhead was excellent. if Rahne is the second coming of Moorhead and quality OL depth continues to increase, I’d be thrilled.

And malpractice? Somebody get that guy a Webster’s.

Reactions: BBrown
You're forgetting the 11th commandment - Thou will not question thy coaches, EVER.

Reactions: JoeFi
You're forgetting the 11th commandment - Thou will not question thy coaches, EVER.

I question the coaches constantly but the guy left and be grateful for what he gave us for 2 years. The offense was a complete joke before him. I'm interested and scared to see what it will look like without him. Everyone should be.

I like JoeMo a whole lot, and wish him nothing but success at MSU. But I don't think it is unfair to him to note that he used Saquon as a decoy too frequently. Trace kept the ball and ran with it too frequently. Saquon should have gotten screen passes, bubble passes, pitches, you name it. Whatever it took to get him the ball in space. That did not happen enough. A lot of the time, it was because the opponent had one or more players spying on Saquon, but not all of the time.

Reactions: bytir and Madsol
After taking over an offense that ranked 110th, and 101st, in the nation the previous two years (just behind Florida International, Akron, and Eastern Michigan)

Over the last two years:

The Penn State offense has averaged more than 38 points per game in each year.
Something, that in the entire 100+ year history of Penn State football had happened exactly ZERO times before.

Over the last two years:

Penn State's tailback (Barkley) will have accumulated well over 4,000 yards of total offense, and about 45 touchdowns.
Something, that in the entire 100+ year history of Penn State football had happened exactly ZERO times before.

It is comforting to know that on this Board, there remain douche-nozzles with the INCREDIBLE ability to look beyond all of that nonsense and recognize that the offense was a train wreck, and the offensive co-ordinator was a malfeasant idiot.

I think we can all now rest assured in the knowledge that there is absolute NOTHING that will ever undermine the will of the epically stupid, to persevere with their blatherings of idiocy.

Thank You :)

I like JoeMo a whole lot, and wish him nothing but success at MSU. But I don't think it is unfair to him to note that he used Saquon as a decoy too frequently. Trace kept the ball and ran with it too frequently. Saquon should have gotten screen passes, bubble passes, pitches, you name it. Whatever it took to get him the ball in space. That did not happen enough. A lot of the time, it was because the opponent had one or more players spying on Saquon, but not all of the time.

Well said. Overall, Moorhead was a major positive to the program. Major. But, he is not nor should he be immune from criticism. And I will never be convinced that he couldn't have done more to give Barkley opportunities in space. And while it's likely Barkley won't be the beneficiary of it, I am hopeful that Rahne may be more willing to be a little more flexible in his approach.

Reactions: WDLion and Omar81
Many of us were frustrated that Barkley wasn’t able to be showcased more this year, but you have overstated Moorhead’s failure and he certainly didn’t cost us games.

That's a stretch the other way is it not? If you are in a position to have a set of plays called and they do not work and yet they continued to be called, that is a lack of adaptability on the coach regardless of execution by the players. You do realize the game at OSU was won. The critical series after our recovery of the turnover in OSU territory, the fan base or the home crowd was in mass exodus mode literally leaving the stadium by the thousands and what do you call first play??? the same play that was called at least 7 time prior that nets a 6 yard loss. That is failure to recognize the moment and the surroundings. Instead --- nose buried in chart --says do this--- lost you the game.

Reactions: dnit and WDLion
That's a stretch the other way is it not? If you are in a position to have a set of plays called and they do not work and yet they continued to be called, that is a lack of adaptability on the coach regardless of execution by the players. You do realize the game at OSU was won. The critical series after our recovery of the turnover in OSU territory, the fan base or the home crowd was in mass exodus mode literally leaving the stadium by the thousands and what do you call first play??? the same play that was called at least 7 time prior that nets a 6 yard loss. That is failure to recognize the moment and the surroundings. Instead --- nose buried in chart --says do this--- lost you the game.

Damn uhlerlion, you should've applied to be the offensive coordinator. Your observations are incredibly astute. You have all the makings of being the next Joe Moorhead.

And by the way, Barkley is the best ever--it's not close.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
The injuries on the OL didn't help with expanding the playbook. The past two seasons, we've had 4 different starting LTs and 4 different starting RTs. It's tougher to work in plays that require perfect timing, like a screen pass, when you're constantly dealing with shuffling the OL.

Reactions: JoeFi and royboy
After taking over an offense that ranked 110th, and 101st, in the nation the previous two years (just behind Florida International, Akron, and Eastern Michigan)

And inheriting a starting Quarterback with ZERO P5 scholarship offers as a QB.

And, over the succeeding two years required 34 starts by FRESHMAN offensive linemen, and 37 starts by SOPHOMORE offensive linemen.

Over the last two years:

The Penn State offense has averaged more than 38 points per game in each year.

Over the last two years:

Penn State's tailback (Barkley) will have accumulated well over 4,000 yards of total offense, and about 45 touchdowns.

It is comforting to know that on this Board, there remain douche-nozzles with the INCREDIBLE ability to look beyond all of that nonsense and recognize that the offense was a train wreck, and the offensive co-ordinator was a malfeasant idiot.

I think we can all now rest assured in the knowledge that there is absolute NOTHING that will ever undermine the will of the epically stupid, to persevere with their blatherings of idiocy.

Thank You :)

WRONG. METRICS. :eek:

Please take this opportunity to blame Joe Moorhead for not using Tommy Stevens more.

Guy was great while he was here and played a key role in putting us on the map. Stop acting like spoiled brats and pray Rahne learned a lot from him and can add some elements to improve the offense.
I'M NOT A SPOILED BRAT

I_Am_The_Boss.jpg

By this logic, then every offensive and defensive coordinator for non-undefeated teams have "cost then some games"... We lost to a more talented tOSU team in Columbus, by one point. Was that Pry or Moorhead who "cost us that game"? We lost at MSU, while enduring a record setting weather delay, by 3 points. Was that Pry, Moorhead, Huff, or Franklin who cost us that game?

Kind of hard to get Barkley to the edge when there's guys in his face as soon as the ball is snapped, don't you think?
No, not if you pitch it out to him. This was my biggest beef with Moorhead. Teams loaded up the box and sent run blitzes directly into the teeth of the slow, stationary handoff -- which resulted in the vast majority of the tackles for loss. The inexplicably few times Moorhead called for pitchouts to Barkley, they were successful. It was mind-boggling to not run that play more often.

Well said. Overall, Moorhead was a major positive to the program. Major. But, he is not nor should he be immune from criticism. And I will never be convinced that he couldn't have done more to give Barkley opportunities in space. And while it's likely Barkley won't be the beneficiary of it, I am hopeful that Rahne may be more willing to be a little more flexible in his approach.
Barkley led the nation in receiving yards by a RB and had over 1100 yards on the ground despite being keyed on every game. It’s flatout stupid to say that Joe didn’t do enough to get him the ball. His yards from scrimmage per game is actually up from last year. His last two seasons were the second and fifth best in PSU history for a RB with still a game left this year.

Some of you sound like spoiled children.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePennsyOracle

Averaging over 41 points per game is UNACCEPTABLE! We have standards around here, ffs.

In 1982, Curt Warner was expected to be a Heisman frontrunner. But teams took him away and Blackledge was putting up big numbers in the passing game.

The goal isn't individual awards for players, but overall team success.

All that said, offensive line play was still below the line. We couldn't run the ball when we needed to. Sometimes, you want to do things but aren't capable of doing them. That goes for just about every team in the country.

No, not if you pitch it out to him. This was my biggest beef with Moorhead. Teams loaded up the box and sent run blitzes directly into the teeth of the slow, stationary handoff -- which resulted in the vast majority of the tackles for loss. The inexplicably few times Moorhead called for pitchouts to Barkley, they were successful. It was mind-boggling to not run that play more often.

Agree. And, lets not forget JF's comment before the start of the season that PSU's OL will be one of the better ones in the Big 10. That was before the injuries and they couldn't run block then. Also, Moorhead inherited a perfect storm in that all those offensive weapons were just developing when he took over. I don't think anything would have been any different if he started here three years ago. Any OC would have been extremely excited to start with the talent we had left on the plate.

Barkley led the nation in receiving yards by a RB and had over 1100 yards on the ground despite being keyed on every game. It’s flatout stupid to say that Joe didn’t do enough to get him the ball. His yards from scrimmage per game is actually up from last year. His last two seasons were the second and fifth best in PSU history for a RB with still a game left this year.

Bite me.

Reactions: Mixolydian
SB is the best player in college football, but it just wasn't meant to be. If anything, we spent too much time trying to feed him the ball and showcase him when we'd have been better off just running our offense.

Reactions: getmyjive11
I'm not saying Love's stats aren't impressive: 1,900 + in rushing, compared to Barkley's 1,100.
TDs were about the same 17 to 16.

BUT, receiving yardage was Saquon's 594 to Love's....33.

Plus, Barkley had 2 kickoffs returned for a score.

He should have been invited.

He had the numbers.

Reactions: Madsol
I'm not saying Love's stats aren't impressive: 1,900 + in rushing, compared to Barkley's 1,100.
TDs were about the same 17 to 16.

BUT, receiving yardage was Saquon's 594 to Love's....33.

Plus, Barkley had 2 kickoffs returned for a score.

He should have been invited.

He had the numbers.

In addition to the numbers, all the need to show is McSorley's TD against Michigan right before the half where 4 players from the #1 defense in the country followed Barkley, allowing McSorley to walk into the end zone. That's the impact #26 had.

How are you doing today, Gunnie?
Ding, ding, ding.

If anything they forced it to SB at times when clearly they could have just kept using him as a decoy and picked up yards tossing the ball. There is no such thing as a perfect offense, system, or OC that calls a perfect play or game 100% of the time. I've seen the best QB's and systems around get shut down even with all world talent. You do have to look at the overall picture and there is no doubt teams were selling completely out to not let SB get started as they had to. It was either let the best RB in the last decade beat us or Trace....and Trace did pretty good as well this year.

I still cannot listen to these people talk about the offense being the problem when you had no pass rush at all in both losses. One loss PSU let an average QB throw for 400 yards in a monsoon and the other let a QB complete 85% of his passes and allowed him to run for just under a 100 yards. It is a team sport and the offense can only carry you so far if the defense can't get off the GD field all game long...yes they will be tired late. Defenses when they are down will gamble more and sell out more to stop the run and get the ball back...it happens every week at every level of football.

Let's break this down even further. PSU had 6 DE's register sacks this year. That total between all 6 was 14 sacks. The math there isn't too hard to figure out. Toney and Miller led the team with 4 each so there is 8 of the 14 sacks. Pry was forced to bring the slot CB, LB's, and Sometimes Spider from the sideline as they could not create pressure with the front 4. Maybe I guess you can blame the OC there for saying...well sh!t we know they aren't going to get to the QB so even inside our own 15 yard line late in the game with the lead he needed to take more risks and not worry about the clock. Next year the young guys that took to the field early on as RS frosh and True frosh need to step it up in a big way as does Miller, Buchholz, and Brown. One thing that is encouraging to me is I think they all do get bigger and better....but also how well the DB's held up with no threat of a pass rush for most of the year.

By this logic, then every offensive and defensive coordinator for non-undefeated teams have "cost then some games"... We lost to a more talented tOSU team in Columbus, by one point. Was that Pry or Moorhead who "cost us that game"? We lost at MSU, while enduring a record setting weather delay, by 3 points. Was that Pry, Moorhead, Huff, or Franklin who cost us that game?

I blame Pry and Moorhead for the Tosu loss and joel meyers for the msu loss.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
OSU was not more talented than us. Dont give me recruiting rankings, they go out the door as soon as they step on campus. We had a 15 point lead in the 4th qtr, we should have closed out the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT