ADVERTISEMENT

Lugo to iowa? getting close

If Iowa state finishes above Iowa in the next 5 years at NCAAs, I will donate $1000 to the NLWC. Everyone can bookmark this post. That is how confident I am.

That is definitely putting your $ where your mouth is.

I can possible see good points coming from this group of 4:

Spencer 1st
Kem Dawg 1st
The Bull 3rd ( Obviously needs this class to thin out a bit but he has the talent and folks are sleeping on him a bit)
Warner 2nd

After that Iowa would really need a healthy Stoll to be 4th or better. But really the key is that 6th scorer. What could Iowa get out of 133/141/174/184. To be determined but IMO losing Teasdale is a loss that has not been replaced yet. Iowa desperately needs a Murin/Turk/Happel/K.Young/Wilcke to bust on the scene like Sorenson did. Or some elite recruit we do not even know of yet lingering in the shadows.

If you dig deeper what stands out is that Iowa's top 5 scorers could all be non Iowa HS products. I think this speaks volume with what Cael has can do with his 10 starting spots given he can backfill 5 PA kids in addition to the 5 national elites he recruits. And whats great about that for you guys are that 2-3 of those PA kids are also national elites. Pretty good recipe.

Now if that is tough for Iowa then what do you think its like for ISU then? Unless the state of Iowa produces a bumber crop anyone who thinks ISU will pass Iowa is on drugs. ISU would have to not only get 5 better national guys but also would have to have 5 better instate guys. Let me know how that recipe will ever happen. Cael couldn't even do that but Dresser can now? And on top of that Schwab is pulling more quality iowa kids than ISU is. There is a lot of loyalty to him in this state Dresser doesn't have at this point let alone the Brands

So good luck with some of you on your "ISU will surpass Iowa soon" crap comments. You know who you are.
We debated this all last fall and trust us, we came to the conclusion that you must have 8 scoring wrestlers to win nationals.;)

Duggan - agreed.
Lugo - Agreed - could be AA. Def not NC
Cassioppi - Has the look of a top 3 guy in his graduating class. Top 3 at Nationals? No. Steveson will be there, so hell no to a NC. And you already have a guy ranked about the same (5 vs. 7) at the weight, so he's possibly kind of superfluous
Mejia - at 133? Undersized. Huge ? I'd be surprised to see an AA finish from him in his career.
Warner - Coin flip with Beard since he's a year older. Can he? Yes. Will he get the coaching to do so at Iowa? Probably not. In the last 19 years, Iowa has had two NC above 165 (one in 2003 and one in 2010). By comparison, in the same time period, PSU has had ten and 9 of them have been in the last 10 years and 8 in the past 7 years.

Cassioppi can absolutely be a top 3 guy in the future. He's still developing physically. Same with Warner, whereas Beard looks like a grown man with better practice partners. Yet Warner whipped him in freestyle last year after having already wrestled greco & cutting a crap ton of weight. I'd be very surprised if Beard beats him ever.

Mejia is worrisome but costing us almost nothing and we are recruiting that weight still. It's a win if he pans out, it's a oh well if he doesn't. I do think he will be big enough at 133 though.

Cassioppi can absolutely be a top 3 guy in the future. He's still developing physically. Same with Warner, whereas Beard looks like a grown man with better practice partners. Yet Warner whipped him in freestyle last year after having already wrestled greco & cutting a crap ton of weight. I'd be very surprised if Beard beats him ever.

Well, there you have it.

Cassioppi can absolutely be a top 3 guy in the future. He's still developing physically.

Can? I guess anything is possible. But he has to beat out Costello first. I guess Cassiopi is the shiny new toy, though. And please take off your black and gold glasses. Do you think, for example, that Steveson and Seth Nevills are *not* still developing physically?

Reactions: PSUer1989
Can? I guess anything is possible. But he has to beat out Costello first. I guess Cassiopi is the shiny new toy, though. And please take off your black and gold glasses. Do you think, for example, that Steveson and Seth Nevills are *not* still developing physically?

I'm sure they are but Cassioppi has really been coming on strong as of late. He just killed Costello this year so how is he really even being compared to him? He just seems to be a kid who is jumping levels and is putting himself on a Seth Nevills level. I want to see them wrestle at WNO. I'd pick Nevills but I think it'd be very competitive

Reactions: letsgohawks44

Mejia is worrisome but costing us almost nothing and we are recruiting that weight still. It's a win if he pans out, it's a oh well if he doesn't. I do think he will be big enough at 133 though.

I get it. Only Iowa recruits have room room to grow physically. Warner wrestled 195 and is a year older than Beard yet Beard (who wrestled 182) is a "grown man"? Funny that you bring up freestyle results as I watched Kollin Moore piss pound Warner a month or so ago in a freestyle match. I'm sure Beard will flourish in the PSU room like his fellow recruits will. If history has taught us anything PSU has a pretty good track record developing their recruits.

I'm sure they are but Cassioppi has really been coming on strong as of late. He just killed Costello this year so how is he really even being compared to him?

Poor Costello. A year ago, he was being celebrated as a god. Now he's cast aside like a used toy. Kind of like Mejia. First he is a big part of a rising dynasty, then when he decommited, he's an also-ran. Now he's back at Iowa and he's a big part of a rising dynasty again. ;) Whichever way the wind blows, I guess.

Reactions: diggerpup
I get it. Only Iowa recruits have room room to grow physically. Warner wrestled 195 and is a year older than Beard yet Beard (who wrestled 182) is a "grown man"? Funny that you bring up freestyle results as I watched Kollin Moore piss pound Warner a month or so ago in a freestyle match. I'm sure Beard will flourish in the PSU room like his fellow recruits will. If history has taught us anything PSU has a pretty good track record developing their recruits.
If "baby faces" automatically meant someone still had growing to do, then I'd hate to see how big Tanner Hall will get.

Yeah, our track record in the middle and upper weights is fairly solid I'd say.

Reactions: diggerpup

Seems like Warner has all the advantages before they step foot in a college room. I guess if Beard ever does beat Warner, his coach is going to deserve a whole lot of credit.

Seems like Warner has all the advantages before they step foot in a college room. I guess if Beard ever does beat Warner, his coach is going to deserve a whole lot of credit.
But because Beard's coach is on double secret probation, there will be a footnote to the subparagraph in the codicil to the addendum that shows that the coach actually deserves none of the credit and just got lucky--again! :)

Let the Hawks dream big, it makes the March meltdowns better...

Some of you seem to want Iowa fans to feel bad about getting some solid recruits. I never remember anyone worshipping Costello like a God either. matter7172 just makes things up in head, then posts them on here to see if it sticks.

I was obviously exaggerating. But this guy?

Doesn't look like he'll be supplanting Steveson anytime soon. Do you think he's better than Jordan Wood, for example? Because Jordan will be around for at least 2 of Cassioppi's years. Singletary? He'll be around for three of them. Parris? All 4. Seth Nevills? All 4. Schultz (if he goes to college). Gannon Gremell? Looks like he was 14-0 his redshirt season with 7 pins and 5 TFs. Around for 3. Top 3 for Cassioppi seems like a big stretch.

Last edited:
Some of you seem to want Iowa fans to feel bad about getting some solid recruits. I never remember anyone worshipping Costello like a God either. matter7172 just makes things up in head, then posts them on here to see if it sticks.

Sure have been a lot of Hawk fans around recently looking for Big Brothers approval on their verbals.

Yeah Cassioppi sucks. Who would want him for depth at 285? Mejia at 125? Yikes. Lugo at 49? He barely beat Sorensen. He must suck aswell. Must be a luxury to only get top recruits at Penn State. Keep that slush fund full! ;)

Yeah Cassioppi sucks. Who would want him for depth at 285? Mejia at 125? Yikes. Lugo at 49? He barely beat Sorensen. He must suck aswell. Must be a luxury to only get top recruits at Penn State. Keep that slush fund full! ;)

I've gotten to watch Cassioppi multiple times, in-person. If you don't think he's gonna be a force in the future, I think you're being biased. He isn't Steveson-tier, but I'd put him in the Top 3 at some point, for sure. Really nice kid, too.

Just let them have one, guys.

I've gotten to watch Cassioppi multiple times, in-person. If you don't think he's gonna be a force in the future, I think you're being biased. He isn't Steveson-tier, but I'd put him in the Top 3 at some point, for sure. Really nice kid, too.

Well Steveson will or could be a 4 time NC for Minnesota the way they develop hwts. Gonna be fun to watch this big boys..

Last year I would've said no on Top 3. I thought he was going to be a pretty good guy who contended for an AA finish in college. This year? Holy crap has he improved.

And lol @ whoever said Warner got piss pounded. Beard got the same treatment from Warner, who again has been in a worse room. I bet he figures out how to win a title in college.

Last year I would've said no on Top 3. I thought he was going to be a pretty good guy who contended for an AA finish in college. This year? Holy crap has he improved.

And lol @ whoever said Warner got piss pounded. Beard got the same treatment from Warner, who again has been in a worse room. I bet he figures out how to win a title in college.

History argues against you. The last Iowa champ above 165 was in 2010 and that was 7 years after Mocco in 2003. So in 11 years of the Brands, one title in the top 4 weight classes.

Which of the guys I listed is Cassioppi going to leapfrog?

I don't think anyone's saying they suck. But what would you like us to say? Sorry our coaches do a better job recruiting?

It's as if you want PSU fans to apologize for our coach doing his job.

I don't think anyone's saying they suck. But what would you like us to say? Sorry our coaches do a better job recruiting?

It's as if you want PSU fans to apologize for our coach doing his job.
Iowa is getting a great haul of talent. The Lions and Nature Nuts have been bytch slapping the Hawks and the Brands have responded by fighting harder for elite talent. Good for them.

I guess now it comes down to development and coaching. May the best staff win.

Turk, I always enjoy how delicately you make your point when annoyed, lol. I would agree its not fair to compare him to Steveson, the guy is in league of his own. I think Penn State fans view this from the perspective that Schultz and then recently Parris where both viewed as targets and then you end up with Cassioppi. He's a fine recruit but not the top 10 talent of the other two. I realize there is always a chance he could surpass the other 285s but haven't we been told repeatedly that you need top 10 recruits to win championships because coaching doesn't matter all that much?

Iowa has improved the recruiting, but other than 125 and 133 it does seem like guys simply don't improve with that coaching. Warner is a big time recruit, and were he at PSU or tOSU I would predict 3 titles for the guy. I see him doing what Iowa mid/big guys do and improving very little from now to career completion. He has the talent to be a super star, but his college choice will leave him as only a star. JMO. I feel the exact opposite for any 125 or 133 in terms of prospects under that staff. They can flat coach lightweights.
There is no way a kid like Cenzo upsets Imar if he would have decided to go to Iowa. Bo Jordan would already have a title had he decided to go to PSU imo as well. Coaching matters!
If you are 149-197 on the weight class you want to be at PSU to max out your chances. tOSU,OSU,Iowa, etc. offer great coaching as well, but not as great accross so many weight classes.

I'll preface this by saying I'm on the record as being a huge Beard fan even before the PSU commitment (when he originally committed to NW I was on here immediately saying this was a big, big loss).

Beard is young for his grade. He's a monster on top. His upside for college is through the roof. Hard worker. Good student. Great kid, but tough and nasty on the mat.

PSU doesn't wrestle Iowa in freestyle. I really like Warner (I picked him in my TOM freestyle draft), but if I had to pick between the two for NCAA only, I'd take Beard every day of the week. You're welcome to your opinion, but I'd be stunned if Beard DOESN'T beat him ever. I'd take him right now in folkstyle.

I'll preface this by saying I'm on the record as being a huge Beard fan even before the PSU commitment (when he originally committed to NW I was on here immediately saying this was a big, big loss).

Beard is young for his grade. He's a monster on top. His upside for college is through the roof. Hard worker. Good student. Great kid, but tough and nasty on the mat.

PSU doesn't wrestle Iowa in freestyle. I really like Warner (I picked him in my TOM freestyle draft), but if I had to pick between the two for NCAA only, I'd take Beard every day of the week. You're welcome to your opinion, but I'd be stunned if Beard DOESN'T beat him ever. I'd take him right now in folkstyle.
Warner>Beard. Warner is getting some valuable schooling right now by The Russians. He is also a beast on top. It only makes sense that a Penn State fan picks Beard and the Iowa guys take Warner. I think thats how its supposed to be.. Is Beard projected at 197?

Iowa has improved the recruiting, but other than 125 and 133 it does seem like guys simply don't improve with that coaching. Warner is a big time recruit, and were he at PSU or tOSU I would predict 3 titles for the guy. I see him doing what Iowa mid/big guys do and improving very little from now to career completion. He has the talent to be a super star, but his college choice will leave him as only a star. JMO. I feel the exact opposite for any 125 or 133 in terms of prospects under that staff. They can flat coach lightweights.
There is no way a kid like Cenzo upsets Imar if he would have decided to go to Iowa. Bo Jordan would already have a title had he decided to go to PSU imo as well. Coaching matters!
If you are 149-197 on the weight class you want to be at PSU to max out your chances. tOSU,OSU,Iowa, etc. offer great coaching as well, but not as great accross so many weight classes.
Simply not true
Sam Brooks- R12, 8, 4
Nathan Burak- R12, 8, 7, 4
Sam Stoll made huge gains from his redshirt year to his first year in the lineup. Unfortunately, he's gotten injured
Cash Wilcke made the R12 as a freshman coming off a not great redshirt year
Joey Gunther showed tremendous improvement from his redshirt year

I've never been one to deny that Cael can coach, but it is undeniable that PSU has been working with much better talent. Cenzo beat Anthony Ashnault after his senior year of high school, so he was already damn good coming into PSU. Was coming to PSU going to magically cure the tumor on Bo Jordan's foot that has hampered him the past few years? Iowa's coaches can go with anyone, but need to recruit to the level of a PSU and tOSU

But, but .... Warner is still developing while Beard looks like a "grown man" and therefore must be pretty maxed out already. How can you possibly dispute this?

Warner>Beard. Warner is getting some valuable schooling right now by The Russians. He is also a beast on top. It only makes sense that a Penn State fan picks Beard and the Iowa guys take Warner. I think thats how its supposed to be.. Is Beard projected at 197?

Maybe. But in this case the Iowa guy says that Beard will never (not once) beat Warner in college, in part because one is still developing while the other is already all grown up. That's a hell of a statement, even by an Iowa fan's version of reality. And, yeah, Beard projects at 197.

While I love PSU dominance, I'm glad others are stepping up their recruiting game! Makes for exciting times at NCAAs and gives us something to talk about. Looking forward to the season!
Believe this as well. My feeling is that PSU has set the bar, now others have to up their game to compete. You've heard this same message from Brands and Dresser, to name a few.

And if you look at history, it's an inevitable part of the cycle of sport...every "dynasty" has an end.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT