ADVERTISEMENT

Lugo to iowa? getting close

He's going to redshirt and then wrestle at 149 for two years. Don't think it says that in the track article, but in another article on the potential transfer he mentions that when asked what his weight class plans were.

He's going to redshirt and then wrestle at 149 for two years. Don't think it says that in the track article, but in another article on the potential transfer he mentions that when asked what his weight class plans were.
any chance Sorenson can get to 141? He looks huge, but might be his only chance to finish on top.

Yeah I guess that makes sense. Kemmerer slipped my mind at 57 when I was thinking about one of them going up.

Reactions: andegre
I think I have heard the name, but can't recall that Lugo is overly relevant. Is he THAT good? I understand that someone wrestling on this type of D1 level is very good, but I mean comparatively to top tier/all-american talent. Thank you in advance for any legitimate update you can offer me.
He was the 8th Seed at this past year's NCAA Tournament. Lost to a really good, but unseeded, Alex Kocer in the 1st round, then lost to Laike Gardner in the 2nd round of consi's. Beat Sorensen at the Edindoro/Iowa Dual.

I think he's really good, and is a very nice get for the Iowa program. After 1 year rs'ing, pure guess, appears he should easily be an AA candidate.

He was the 8th Seed at this past year's NCAA Tournament. Lost to a really good, but unseeded, Alex Kocer in the 1st round, then lost to Laike Gardner in the 2nd round of consi's. Beat Sorensen at the Edindoro/Iowa Dual.

I think he's really good, and is a very nice get for the Iowa program. After 1 year rs'ing, pure guess, appears he should easily be an AA candidate.
Agree!

I think I have heard the name, but can't recall that Lugo is overly relevant. Is he THAT good? I understand that someone wrestling on this type of D1 level is very good, but I mean comparatively to top tier/all-american talent. Thank you in advance for any legitimate update you can offer me.

Lugo beat the 12th ranked P4P senior Austin O'Connor 12-2 in June as well as Kanen Storr 13-3 and then 6th ranked P4P senior Brady Berge at the same tournament. That is 3 studs so he is definitely a very strong wrestler.

Reactions: Knight563
You need elite to compete with PSU and O$U. Just getting AA's won't do it when the top tier is crowning multiple wrestlers every year. Besides Lee, who can grab a crown for the hawks in the next three years?

You need elite to compete with PSU and O$U. Just getting AA's won't do it when the top tier is crowning multiple wrestlers every year. Besides Lee, who can grab a crown for the hawks in the next three years?

kemdog after nolf is gone.
warner has the look

after that not sure right now

Lugo has shown flashes of 'awesome' on the mat...if he gets consistent and loses Zain as a road block, his ceiling might be pretty high.

Warner is a good one. But Lugo and Dugan won't.

Duggan is a walk on who I'd be surprised lasted more than a year. Lugo can be extremely good but idk if he's a NC. Cassioppi has the look of a top 3 guy. Mejia I'm interested to see how he looks after a year. Warner can absolutely win a title. This recruiting class is very important for us.

Duggan - agreed.
Lugo - Agreed - could be AA. Def not NC
Cassioppi - Has the look of a top 3 guy in his graduating class. Top 3 at Nationals? No. Steveson will be there, so hell no to a NC. And you already have a guy ranked about the same (5 vs. 7) at the weight, so he's possibly kind of superfluous
Mejia - at 133? Undersized. Huge ? I'd be surprised to see an AA finish from him in his career.
Warner - Coin flip with Beard since he's a year older. Can he? Yes. Will he get the coaching to do so at Iowa? Probably not. In the last 19 years, Iowa has had two NC above 165 (one in 2003 and one in 2010). By comparison, in the same time period, PSU has had ten and 9 of them have been in the last 10 years and 8 in the past 7 years.

Duggan - agreed.
Lugo - Agreed - could be AA. Def not NC
Cassioppi - Has the look of a top 3 guy in his graduating class. Top 3 at Nationals? No. Steveson will be there, so hell no to a NC. And you already have a guy ranked about the same (5 vs. 7) at the weight, so he's possibly kind of superfluous
Mejia - at 133? Undersized. Huge ? I'd be surprised to see an AA finish from him in his career.
Warner - Coin flip with Beard since he's a year older. Can he? Yes. Will he get the coaching to do so at Iowa? Probably not. In the last 19 years, Iowa has had two NC above 165 (one in 2003 and one in 2010). By comparison, in the same time period, PSU has had ten and 9 of them have been in the last 10 years and 8 in the past 7 years.

Oh baby, I love me some HR, was just reading how Lugo makes them a threat to win team titles, Lmfao!!!

Hope rings eternal. If the goal is to get back to winning championships, they would of been better served with Sasso and Parris however I suspect money has become an issue. Top 10 guys aren't going to Iowa on the cheap and the war funds have been depleted.

Good for them, I say. 2017-18 won't be their year, but the Hawks will be competitive in 2018-19 and after. Strong competition will bring out the best in our guys...regardless who it is.

Reactions: JBott and ecdcr
warner has the look

I would say that S Lee will be in the title hunt too!

Personally, I want to see a strong Iowa--makes for good, stimulating competition!

Reactions: jtothemfp
I would say that S Lee will be in the title hunt too!

This seems to have flown over your head. Here's the sequence:

bold added by me.

To Ian's post, dunke replied:

warner has the look

You then replied to dunke's post with "I would say that S Lee will be in the title hunt too!"

I can possible see good points coming from this group of 4:

Spencer 1st
Kem Dawg 1st
The Bull 3rd ( Obviously needs this class to thin out a bit but he has the talent and folks are sleeping on him a bit)
Warner 2nd

After that Iowa would really need a healthy Stoll to be 4th or better. But really the key is that 6th scorer. What could Iowa get out of 133/141/174/184. To be determined but IMO losing Teasdale is a loss that has not been replaced yet. Iowa desperately needs a Murin/Turk/Happel/K.Young/Wilcke to bust on the scene like Sorenson did. Or some elite recruit we do not even know of yet lingering in the shadows.

If you dig deeper what stands out is that Iowa's top 5 scorers could all be non Iowa HS products. I think this speaks volume with what Cael has can do with his 10 starting spots given he can backfill 5 PA kids in addition to the 5 national elites he recruits. And whats great about that for you guys are that 2-3 of those PA kids are also national elites. Pretty good recipe.

Now if that is tough for Iowa then what do you think its like for ISU then? Unless the state of Iowa produces a bumber crop anyone who thinks ISU will pass Iowa is on drugs. ISU would have to not only get 5 better national guys but also would have to have 5 better instate guys. Let me know how that recipe will ever happen. Cael couldn't even do that but Dresser can now? And on top of that Schwab is pulling more quality iowa kids than ISU is. There is a lot of loyalty to him in this state Dresser doesn't have at this point let alone the Brands

So good luck with some of you on your "ISU will surpass Iowa soon" crap comments. You know who you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rawl
This seems to have flown over your head. Here's the sequence:

bold added by me.

To Ian's post, dunke replied:

You then replied to dunke's post with "I would say that S Lee will be in the title hunt too!"
Thanks, Tom--missed that!

I can possible see good points coming from this group of 4:

Spencer 1st
Kem Dawg 1st
The Bull 3rd ( Obviously needs this class to thin out a bit but he has the talent and folks are sleeping on him a bit)
Warner 2nd

After that Iowa would really need a healthy Stoll to be 4th or better. But really the key is that 6th scorer. What could Iowa get out of 133/141/174/184. To be determined but IMO losing Teasdale is a loss that has not been replaced yet. Iowa desperately needs a Murin/Turk/Happel/K.Young/Wilcke to bust on the scene like Sorenson did. Or some elite recruit we do not even know of yet lingering in the shadows.

If you dig deeper what stands out is that Iowa's top 5 scorers could all be non Iowa HS products. I think this speaks volume with what Cael has can do with his 10 starting spots given he can backfill 5 PA kids in addition to the 5 national elites he recruits. And whats great about that for you guys are that 2-3 of those PA kids are also national elites. Pretty good recipe.

Now if that is tough for Iowa then what do you think its like for ISU then? Unless the state of Iowa produces a bumber crop anyone who thinks ISU will pass Iowa is on drugs. ISU would have to not only get 5 better national guys but also would have to have 5 better instate guys. Let me know how that recipe will ever happen. Cael couldn't even do that but Dresser can now? And on top of that Schwab is pulling more quality iowa kids than ISU is. There is a lot of loyalty to him in this state Dresser doesn't have at this point let alone the Brands

So good luck with some of you on your "ISU will surpass Iowa soon" crap comments. You know who you are.

I know its PD3 and social media, but this boy sure is talkative today.

They actually are - arrogant, dismissive assessments of other programs and coaches. We'll see how Dresser does, but I wouldn't be too cocky if I were in Iowa's shoes.
If Iowa state finishes above Iowa in the next 5 years at NCAAs, I will donate $1000 to the NLWC. Everyone can bookmark this post. That is how confident I am.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT