ADVERTISEMENT

Laurie Stanell running for Board of Trustees

So what? A BOT member who's willing to be castrated doesn't accomplish anything anyway. You figure out how far you can go without risk--and then figure out if the risk is worth taking. Imagine the opportunities for public outcry if multiple alumni trustees were threatened with expulsion?

So what? A BOT member who's willing to be castrated doesn't accomplish anything anyway. You figure out how far you can go without risk--and then figure out if the risk is worth taking. Imagine the opportunities for public outcry if multiple alumni trustees were threatened with expulsion?

Very good point. Imagine the response if just one alumni trustee were ousted. Individual would have to determine if he or she were will to make the sacrifice and what to do in its aftermath to make it worthwhile.

No it doesn't.

Hell, Lubrano himself has given plenty of soliloquies regarding the "Paterno Situation".
They can (and do) ignore him, but they sure as hell can't (and don't) kick him out.

We've got a bunch of Trustees who - now that they are on the Board - find that they would prefer to remain in good standing with the Club Leaders, rather than to represent the interests of the stakeholders who elected them.
Either that, and/or they were "Wolves in Sheep's Clothing" from the start.
And/or "one-trick special interest ponies".

We sure have been sold down the river.

From your earlier list of requirements you omitted approaching the undertaking with the attitude that ""Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I am the baddest motherfvcker in the valley."

I predict that whoever gets the "Penn Staters 4 Restoring the Statue" (PS4RS) endorsements win the election. That's my advice to Laurie, get that endorsement if she wants to win.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy

If one is expelled they should raise Holy Hell in the media.

Getting kicked off, becoming a martyr, and raising a stink is one of many tactics that could have been tried but never has. Somehow losing vote after vote after vote by counts like 31-10 and 30-11 is seen as a better approach. It's like watching a football team that has a one page playbook.

Admire your willingness to stand up and fight, but from I've seen the past several years the alumni elected BOT have the deck stacked against them. Don't think another/different voice will change anything.

...sigh...

Best of luck to you.
Things most definitely will get uglier this spring and summer and possibly the years to come because it's time for the outnumbered alumni elected trustees to behave differently on the BoT. Trust me , whatever it takes .... I will effect change!

Reactions: 91Joe95 and Bob78
Thanks for posting.

I would hope Laurie comes up with a stronger position statement. After reading the "full statement" there's an awful lot of fluff and no substance.

- How is she going to make student needs paramount? Call others to task? Come on. What are her thoughts on how student needs should be more paramount? What does she see as wasteful practices and what does she think should be done to reduce costs?

- How does she plan to "not let the BOT" do anything other than accept the Auditor General's recommendations?

- What is she going to do to keep up the "good fight"? Seeing as 2 out of 3 "position statements" touch on Paterno, I'm curious to see how she plans on doing anything else.
I plan to get any and everyone in PA government involved to make the BoT so uncomfortable in their current positions. This is way more than Paterno, our governance at Penn State has become rotten and if it contiunues to operate without regard for its budget , only in favor of administration salaries and dorm buildings that are more expensive than most luxury condos , our land grant university will lose that status and who will suffer...... the Commonwealth. and ultimately the students.

I predict that whoever gets the "Penn Staters 4 Restoring the Statue" (PS4RS) endorsements win the election. That's my advice to Laurie, get that endorsement if she wants to win.
hot news..... they did not endorse a candidate last year and most likely will do the same this year.... they do though host a town hall with all the candidates which is available live stream and you can still see the last few years of that

So you want people to vote for someone who is proud that she was able to disrupt donations to the University?

And you think you are helping PSU. Sad!

No- I do not want to disrupt donations to the university. I am the co chair of legislation and advocacy committee on alumni council
And am always in contact with congressman and women - I volunteered to be in this committee because it is so important for funding - but the university has received flat funding this past year and it came late and this year it could be worse- the BoT as a governing body needs to figure out how to stop this from happening before it’s too late and funding is less

Reactions: 91Joe95
Mary, I believe the nomination ballot requires a middle initial. What is Laurie's MI.?

Anne, so A. Laurie Anne Stanell. Class of 1980.

Mary, I read the university by laws & charter concerning trustee length of terms. Anthony Lubrano's term is up this year, can he be nominated for a seat this year? He would be also be on my list along with Laurie and Brandon.

Yes, as Anthony said above he can be nominated for another three year term.

So you want people to vote for someone who is proud that she was able to disrupt donations to the University?

And you think you are helping PSU. Sad!

No, we think we're helping the alumni by educating them about where their donations are really going. Once we ferreted out that the Alumni Association is owned lock, stock, and barrel by Penn State instead of being the independent organization it was touting, alumni have decided to help students in other ways.

Hiding the truth is very expensive, and the alumni have announced we're not interested in picking up the bill.

Reactions: 91Joe95
No, we think we're helping the alumni by educating them about where their donations are really going. Once we ferreted out that the Alumni Association is owned lock, stock, and barrel by Penn State instead of being the independent organization it was touting, alumni have decided to help students in other ways.

Hiding the truth is very expensive, and the alumni have announced we're not interested in picking up the bill.
Picking up the bill for what specifically? What do you think your donations are paying for?

hot news..... they did not endorse a candidate last year and most likely will do the same this year.... they do though host a town hall with all the candidates which is available live stream and you can still see the last few years of that

Of course PS4RS didn't endorse anyone last year. Al Lord and his asinine (but not-out-of-character) comments in late March put them in a bad position. PS4RS of course had a large role in Lord becoming a Trustee in the first place.

So they just took a pass on endorsing anyone. Not surprising. They acted very cowardly in many respects last spring, including their shameful behavior in never once criticizing Lord for his comments.

Anyway, enough about PS4RS, that organization is what it is (useless). Good luck in the election.

Last edited:
For those who asked who's interested in running, here's a statement I found online. Remember, this phase is just to get on the ballot, not the actual voting. The more candidates on the ballot, the better.
DTnue13W0AATw-l.jpg

Of course PS4RS didn't endorse anyone last year. Al Lord and his asinine (but not-out-of-character) comments in late March put them in a bad position. PS4RS of course had a large role in Lord becoming a Trustee in the first place.

So they just took a pass on endorsing anyone. Not surprising. They acted very cowardly in many respects last spring, including their shameful behavior in never once criticizing Lord for his comments.

Anyway, enough about PS4RS, that organization is what it is (useless). Good luck in the election.

michshitlion knows useless. It stare back at him every time he looks in the mirror.

Six years and they haven’t accomplished anything. That’s what happens when you put all of your efforts behind supporting a disgraced, deceased individual. Waste of time.

Look, folks. The chances are that no alumni trustee is going to be able to effect any positive changes on the BOT. However, somebody who's willing to rock the boat /raise a stink/employ some asymmetrical warfare might have a chance. That's what I tried to offer a few years ago when I ran, and not enough people cared--including some alumni power-brokers. If Laurie's offering to try raising a little hell, it sounds good to me.
Hi David, remember these T's .....

IMG_20170704_144923470.jpg

Reactions: Zenophile
Things most definitely will get uglier this spring and summer and possibly the years to come because it's time for the outnumbered alumni elected trustees to behave differently on the BoT. Trust me , whatever it takes .... I will effect change!

Laurie: You will need to have a voice in the Media who is willing to help you advocate your position.

We thought we had a mover and shaker when Jubelirer was elected to the Board years ago (and re-elected, unfortunately). He's done NOTHING. Some (okay, me) have suggested that he might be a plant for the Lubert's and Dambly's of the BOT to keep them apprised of what the other elected alumni are up to.

If you don't have someone from the Media, and you decide to be a hell-raiser, you will be painted in an unfortunate light. I've watched this for the last 6 years, and it never goes well for those who buck the system.

I applaud you for wanting to take on the challenge. I assume you are aware of the pitfalls.

@step.eng69 Man, that whole picture is ugly! ;) Thanks for the memories!

Anybody who's got a chance of making a difference needs to be thinking outside the box. It does seem like the alumni trustees there now are unwilling or unable to do that. I guess becoming a BOT big shot gets comfortable after a while. Lubrano needed allies maybe even more provocative than he is, and he hasn't gotten even one.

Thirty plus years and you've accomplished nothing. That's what happens when you're born an idiot. Waste of a life.
My posting unhinges you daily. That right there is a bigger accomplishment than PS4RS has ever had, and it’s really, rather small.

I’m sorry I bother you.

My posting unhinges you daily. That right there is a bigger accomplishment than PS4RS has ever had, and it’s really, rather small.

I’m sorry I bother you.

Hardly, I just need the batting practice. On the other hand, one has to be hinged to become unhinged, sop eevrything must simply bounce off of your empty little.noggin.

Perhaps one day you'll be able to contribute more to the planet than assuring those little debits and credits are in balance., but I doubt it.

Hardly, I just need the batting practice. On the other hand, one has to be hinged to become unhinged, sop eevrything must simply bounce off of your empty little.noggin.

Perhaps one day you'll be able to contribute more to the planet than assuring those little debits and credits are in balance., but I doubt it.
You can pretend all you want, but we both know how things are going. You shouldn’t let such things bother you so much... it’s not healthy.

You can pretend all you want, but we both know how things are going. You shouldn’t let such things bother you so much... it’s not healthy.

Yeah, you know. That would be a first, bookkeeper.

You just don’t realize it because it constantly happens. It’s okay, you can take the steps needed to prevent it in the future.

Yeah, you know. You're so smart, which is why you're nothing more than a glorified clerk.

Yeah, you know. You're so smart, which is why you're nothing more than a glorified clerk.
All I know is that I will be sending my kids to a far better University than Rutgers. I’m not a cruel person.

Doubt that your kid have the brain matter, unless intelligence skipped a generation in your family.
Knocking on kids is pretty pathetic. It’s what trashy people do. You should be ashamed of yourself but you have proven to lack any kind of self awareness. I guess this is just par for the course for you.

Knocking on kids is pretty pathetic. It’s what trashy people do. You should be ashamed of yourself but you have proven to lack any kind of self awareness. I guess this is just par for the course for you.

You opened the door, asshole.

Laurie: You will need to have a voice in the Media who is willing to help you advocate your position.

We thought we had a mover and shaker when Jubelirer was elected to the Board years ago (and re-elected, unfortunately). He's done NOTHING. Some (okay, me) have suggested that he might be a plant for the Lubert's and Dambly's of the BOT to keep them apprised of what the other elected alumni are up to.

If you don't have someone from the Media, and you decide to be a hell-raiser, you will be painted in an unfortunate light. I've watched this for the last 6 years, and it never goes well for those who buck the system.

I applaud you for wanting to take on the challenge. I assume you are aware of the pitfalls.
I will

Laurie, what’s your plan and level of commitment to communicating BOT issue/vote background with the alumni, either via this board, PS4RS Facebook page, email newsletter, etc. Anthony Lubrano used to post here from time to time, providing some insight on what’s been going on behind the scenes, but even he’s gone mostly quiet, especially as it concerns the mythical alumni Freeh report review. Given the lack of progress/change that we’ve seen since 2011 on many BOT issues that concern the alumni, IMHO, the “radio silence” approach hasn’t been effective.

One of my biggest frustrations with the alumni elected trustees is that once they begin their terms, we never hear from them anymore. I realize the alumni trustees don’t have the voting numbers to drive any real changes with the BOT, but it would certainly help me to better appreciate what they are trying to do as my representatives if they communicated some background on what was going on once in a while.
I am and always have been very outspoken - that will continue . I want the alumni that elect me to be informed and hear their input- transparency.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT