ADVERTISEMENT

Laurie Stanell running for Board of Trustees

Mary QBA

Dec 4, 2014
Laurie Stanell has announced she is seeking nomination to the Penn State Board of Trustees. She will need 250 signatures to be listed on the official voting ballot, which will be published sometime in April. I think we're supposed to be getting nominating ballots in our email from Old Main. The deadline to complete and electronically return nomination ballots (we get to pick three) is February 25, 2018.

May I respectfully suggest you nominate Laurie.

There are many nice people on the nomination ballot, but I'm not interested in nice. Not that Laurie isn't nice - she is - but she's also disruptive. I prefer disruptive to nice.

A group of us has spent the last three years trying to disrupt Alumni Council. We have pointed out how the university now owns the Alumni Association, we've exposed how the Executive Board treated Sue Paterno, and we've brought to light the lavish boondoggle a seat on Alumni Council has become.

This has made Paul Clifford (Alumni Association CEO, Bloomsburg '96), and many members of the PSU Board of Trustees sad because it's cutting into donations. To which, I say - go us!

Our disruption is polite, respectful, and informative. Hearing what the actual members of the Alumni Association think and want has made other members of Alumni Council uncomfortable. We are chastised for negative talk, wanting to take away council members perks (including the NLI lobster bisque), and trying to put the Alumni Association back in the control of the alumni.

Laurie has been a leading figure in our disruption, and she's done a fine job. She's been to every meeting in person. She goes to BOT meetings in person. She mentors on campus. She goes to every home game. She's involved and accessible.

I want her to keep doing what she's been doing. I want her there, in person, and then down at the bar for the after-meeting where I hear all the real decisions are made. There's no call-in line for those.

I don't expect Chairman Dambly to look up and say "Oh my God, what were we thinking?", but I would like him to sweat every time he hears her say "Now, hold on..."

I do not want another alumni elected trustee who appears out of nowhere and vaporizes once elected. Laurie can hit the ground running, because she's already up to speed.

You can find Laurie's statement on her website, http://www.stanell4trustee.com

I'd like her to perform some extensive dental work on Dambly and Lubert -- no novocaine of course
b09099d20d1e4938384b486ca1e564ea.jpg

I volunteer my dental services in Guatemala every year- the conditions don't always allow for novacaine..... maybe I could see them there

Very noble!

Thanks for being here. Please explain why you believe we should cast aside one of the incumbents in your favor. Where have they fallen short and what would you do differently? Personally I feel that outside of Anthony they have not been aggressive enough.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Laurie Stanell has announced she is seeking nomination to the Penn State Board of Trustees. She will need 250 signatures to be listed on the official voting ballot, which will be published sometime in April. I think we're supposed to be getting nominating ballots in our email from Old Main. The deadline to complete and electronically return nomination ballots (we get to pick three) is February 25, 2018.

There are many nice people on the nomination ballot, but I'm not interested in nice. Not that Laurie isn't nice - she is - but she's also disruptive. I prefer disruptive to nice.

A group of us has spent the last three years trying to disrupt Alumni Council. We have pointed out how the university now owns the Alumni Association, we've exposed how the Executive Board treated Sue Paterno, and we've brought to light the lavish boondoggle a seat on Alumni Council has become.

This has made Paul Clifford (Alumni Association CEO, Bloomsburg '96), and many members of the PSU Board of Trustees sad because it's cutting into donations. To which, I say - go us!

Our disruption is polite, respectful, and informative. Hearing what the actual members of the Alumni Association think and want has made other members of Alumni Council uncomfortable. We are chastised for negative talk, wanting to take away council members perks (including the NLI lobster bisque), and trying to put the Alumni Association back in the control of the alumni.

Laurie has been a leading figure in our disruption, and she's done a fine job. She's been to every meeting in person. She goes to BOT meetings in person. She mentors on campus. She goes to every home game. She's involved and accessible.

I want her to keep doing what she's been doing. I want her there, in person, and then down at the bar for the after-meeting where I hear all the real decisions are made. There's no call-in line for those.

I don't expect Chairman Dambly to look up and say "Oh my God, what were we thinking?", but I would like him to sweat every time he hears her say "Now, hold on..."

I do not want another alumni elected trustee who appears out of nowhere and vaporizes once elected. Laurie can hit the ground running, because she's already up to speed.

I respect your opinion and your work. If you believe Laurie is worthy of nomination, I will do so. I cannot yet promise her my vote. That will depend on my evaluation of all the candidates, but I see no reason she should not be in the field.

I gave your post a "like", but if possible, I would have given it (and you) a "love". Keep up the great work!!!

P.S. Despite participating in the nomination and election processes online in prior years, my 2018 PSU BOT Nomination ballot somehow was in my "junk folder". Perhaps even Gmail is now smart enough to purposely filter-out "crap from Paul".

Last edited:
You can see my statement on my website at stanell4trustee.com . But I can say with certainty, I will always stand up and be vocal. I will push for change on the Board - whatever it takes. The fact that the majority of the board is completely ignoring the auditor general’s recommendations and the alumni concerns will change. I will push back or go over to get results - I will do it what’s necessary for Penn State and it’s constituents

You can see my statement on my website at stanell4trustee.com . But I can say with certainty, I will always stand up and be vocal. I will push for change on the Board - whatever it takes. The fact that the majority of the board is completely ignoring the auditor general’s recommendations and the alumni concerns will change. I will push back or go over to get results - I will do it what’s necessary for Penn State and it’s constituents
Hate to say it but at this time...elected trustees have NO chance to effect change. Mother nature will help and thin the herd.

Hate to say it but at this time...elected trustees have NO chance to effect change. Mother nature will help and thin the herd.
Perhaps, but I think PSU could benefit from someone who isn’t afraid to verbally and legally “neuter” certain members of the “BOT Boy’s Club”.

Is Laurie that person? I don’t know....but she speaks differently than any of the other “Alumni Losers” elected in recent years, with the exception of AL.

Last edited:
I respect your opinion and your work. If you believe Laurie is worthy of nomination, I will do so. I cannot yet promise her my vote. That will depend on my evaluation of all the candidates, but I see no reason she should not be in the field.

Thank you, and the sentiment is returned. It's fair enough to make sure Laurie is on the ballot, and expect her to earn your vote through her actions.

I’ve seen the board go from horrible with peetz and masser to incorrigible with Lubert to criminal with Dambly. I don’t want that for any of us in the Penn State community - it will most likely get really ugly....but whatever it takes to make governance better again- I’ll do.

True, but the body of change needs a voice first in order to be heard. The voice may begin as a whisper, and may not rise among the din, but as it grows stronger, people will begin to listen. Perhaps Laurie can make our voice louder. I am going to nominate her and then decide if she should have that chance.

Admire your willingness to stand up and fight, but from I've seen the past several years the alumni elected BOT have the deck stacked against them. Don't think another/different voice will change anything.

...sigh...

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: Mary QBA
My nomination was in my Spam folder, I just found it this morning. And Laurie's graduation year is 1980.

I think it's funny that Penn State hasn't figured out how to edit their DNS to ensure they are a reputable sender.

Whoever said they were reputable? I can think of a lot of words to describe PSU and the people running it, and "reputable" isn't one of them.

Thanks for posting.

I would hope Laurie comes up with a stronger position statement. After reading the "full statement" there's an awful lot of fluff and no substance.

- How is she going to make student needs paramount? Call others to task? Come on. What are her thoughts on how student needs should be more paramount? What does she see as wasteful practices and what does she think should be done to reduce costs?

- How does she plan to "not let the BOT" do anything other than accept the Auditor General's recommendations?

- What is she going to do to keep up the "good fight"? Seeing as 2 out of 3 "position statements" touch on Paterno, I'm curious to see how she plans on doing anything else.

Reactions: PSU_Chicago
Perhaps, but I think PSU could benefit from someone who isn’t afraid to verbally and legally “neuter” certain members of the “BOT Boy’s Club”.

Is Laurie that person? I don’t know....but she speaks differently than any of the other “Alumni Losers” elected in recent years, with the exception of AL.
You only become an “Alumni Loser” after you are elected!

Thank you, and the sentiment is returned. It's fair enough to make sure Laurie is on the ballot, and expect her to earn your vote through her actions.
Mary, I read the university by laws & charter concerning trustee length of terms. Anthony Lubrano's term is up this year, can he be nominated for a seat this year? He would be also be on my list along with Laurie and Brandon.

Thank you for the heads up Mary. I'm with fairgambit on this. I appreciate his judgment on issues and usually follow his lead. Besides, I would like to be invited to one of his home gatherings.
step. You are one of my board buddies and are always welcome at the gambit estate. Alas, my wife ferociously guards our privacy, and I cannot give on line directions to the gambit mansion. However, you can find it by heading to Pittsburgh and asking any attorney this question: "I've heard there is a lawyer in this area who keeps his Christmas tree up until February. Where does he live?"
NOTE: To find a lawyer, wait till you see an ambulance passing by, and ask the guy who is running after it.;)

Laurie, what’s your plan and level of commitment to communicating BOT issue/vote background with the alumni, either via this board, PS4RS Facebook page, email newsletter, etc. Anthony Lubrano used to post here from time to time, providing some insight on what’s been going on behind the scenes, but even he’s gone mostly quiet, especially as it concerns the mythical alumni Freeh report review. Given the lack of progress/change that we’ve seen since 2011 on many BOT issues that concern the alumni, IMHO, the “radio silence” approach hasn’t been effective.

One of my biggest frustrations with the alumni elected trustees is that once they begin their terms, we never hear from them anymore. I realize the alumni trustees don’t have the voting numbers to drive any real changes with the BOT, but it would certainly help me to better appreciate what they are trying to do as my representatives if they communicated some background on what was going on once in a while.

Whether the alumni trustees can make a difference is unclear but what is clear is that they need to change their tactics in order to have a chance to make a difference. I suspect the window of opportunity is closed however because so much time has passed that alumni who were once winnable are now just sick of the whole thing.

Admire your willingness to stand up and fight, but from I've seen the past several years the alumni elected BOT have the deck stacked against them. Don't think another/different voice will change anything.

...sigh...

Best of luck to you.

I agree. But value remains in having Board members who are willing and able to make weasels like Dambly squirm. Laurie seems to fit the bill.

Reactions: Aloha T and 91Joe95
step. You are one of my board buddies and are always welcome at the gambit estate. Alas, my wife ferociously guards our privacy, and I cannot give on line directions to the gambit mansion. However, you can find it by heading to Pittsburgh and asking any attorney this question: "I've heard there is a lawyer in this area who keeps his Christmas tree up until February. Where does he live?"
NOTE: To find a lawyer, wait till you see an ambulance passing by, and ask the guy who is running after it.;)

Is there any truth to the rumor that your home was used for the filming of the famous orgy party in Eyes Wide Shut?

If so, bravo.

Not sure, but having a brother who is one of the top criminal defense lawyers in the country has probably been the holdup in Tom approving my Moderator application. :(

By the way, Fonzie could track down the gambit estate if he wasn’t hibernating until the Blue-White game.:D

Before he dozed off, he said he thinks his new message next year will be “Singing for Sanders”.....but he still reserves the right to change it up until 9/1/18.

So, who should we vote out in favor of Laurie and/or Brandon Short?

I can indeed. Class of 1982. Thank you.

Anthony, do you know if the other 2 incumbents are running for re-election also?

Brandon Short is running (going through the nomination process), and I saw somewhere that Warren Hartenstine is also. With those two and Laurie, we have an impressive slate of new candidates. Re-electing you plus two of those three will be a good thing, I think. I'm not quite as excited about McCombie, should he be running again. I need to look at Tribeck again, too. But, I plan to remain open-minded, including looking at Robert B.'s platform.

Will you be sharing your thoughts and insights with us on BWI as to what each candidate brings when the time comes to vote?

Thanks.

interesting Bob..

I thought so, too. Saw it on Facebook (one of the PSU reform-related pages), but it has not gathered a lot of steam outside of that from what I have seen or not seen. He needs to be introduced here and other such sites to get some more notice if he is truly running.

It will take some momentum to unseat any incumbent who is running. I'm surprised Brandon Short hasn't come here yet. Laurie is smart to do so, and she is off to a good start.

Reactions: step.eng69
Look, folks. The chances are that no alumni trustee is going to be able to effect any positive changes on the BOT. However, somebody who's willing to rock the boat /raise a stink/employ some asymmetrical warfare might have a chance. That's what I tried to offer a few years ago when I ran, and not enough people cared--including some alumni power-brokers. If Laurie's offering to try raising a little hell, it sounds good to me.

True, but the body of change needs a voice first in order to be heard. The voice may begin as a whisper, and may not rise among the din, but as it grows stronger, people will begin to listen. Perhaps Laurie can make our voice louder. I am going to nominate her and then decide if she should have that chance.
Agree but the Lubrano Rule gives the BoT power bloc the ability to expel a board member who doesn't keep themselves in line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT