ADVERTISEMENT

latest Suriano news

images

They weren't from his account. They were from the wrestling clubs. Maybe they didn't like being mentioned on FRL?
If today really is National Courtesy Flush Day, that would explain it.

(Maybe this belongs on the Twitter is great thread, but seems fitting here. The entire article is a good laugh.)

I haven't listened yet, but I can't wait to hear the Cael bashing over a non-release if it is true. I am not sure why any coach would release a strong favorite to win a NC to a conference competitor though.

Reactions: jschrantz
I haven't listened yet, but I can't wait to hear the Cael bashing over a non-release if it is true. I am not sure why any coach would release a strong favorite to win a NC to a conference competitor though.

This could have a negative recruiting effect, that's pretty much the strongest negative I can think of.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
This could have a negative recruiting effect, that's pretty much the strongest negative I can think of.

I don't agree with that argument. There's been plenty of cases where Cael has released athlete's (pagano, stout come to mind).

Here's my take..

If you make starting lineup and coaching staff has put time/money into you..no release
If you can't break starting lineup and doesn't look good for a couple years..release is fine

Now..IF coaching staff changes, I'd grant anyone a release if they wanted it..most of these kids come for the coach. Also if there was a family tragedy type situation, I'd grant release.

JMO

lots of good d-1 programs. choose one that's not in the bt if you want out.

That's true. However, if the school a wrestler wants to go is within conference, why should he be prohibited? Transferring wrestlers want to go wherever they want, they don't want to be shackled by rules. I could see some wrestlers think, "well if Cael won't let me leave, then maybe I don't want to go there."

I don't agree with that argument. There's been plenty of cases where Cael has released athlete's (pagano, stout come to mind).

Here's my take..

If you make starting lineup and coaching staff has put time/money into you..no release
If you can't break starting lineup and doesn't look good for a couple years..release is fine

Now..IF coaching staff changes, I'd grant anyone a release if they wanted it..most of these kids come for the coach. Also if there was a family tragedy type situation, I'd grant release.

JMO

That's a fine standard, and I get your point, do you think a 19 year old college wrestler that is looking to leave is going to feel the same?

That's a fine standard, and I get your point, do you think a 19 year old college wrestler that is looking to leave is going to feel the same?

I hope that they do. I'm sure Nick made more than a few visits to other schools, met with the coaches, wrestlers, facilities, etc. Him and his family CHOSE to sign a contract. Since his contract has been signed, nothing has changed..same staff, same facilites, etc..if he wants to change his mind, sit the year and lose a year of eligibility. His choice

how many kids commit to a school thinking about transfer scenarios?
Not sure of the exact number, but my guess is 0.0
The potential message to recruits might be that every situation is different. If you're not starting, we'll be fair to you. If you are starting, we'll be fair to both you AND us. Nothing wrong with that, imo.

I hope that they do. I'm sure Nick made more than a few visits to other schools, met with the coaches, wrestlers, facilities, etc. Him and his family CHOSE to sign a contract. Since his contract has been signed, nothing has changed..same staff, same facilites, etc..if he wants to change his mind, sit the year and lose a year of eligibility. His choice

I just philosophically disagree with your position, though I understand why you feel that way. If at any point over Cael's contract he left PSU to go somewhere else, would he have to sit out a year? No, but athletes, for the most part, are forced to do the same.

I get why Cael won't release Suriano, it's good program sustaining move, and to have him transfer in conference is also bad. However, that doesn't mean I feel comfortable with how NCAA and conferences around the country regulate and oversee these things.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Not sure of the exact number, but my guess is 0.0
The potential message to recruits might be that every situation is different. If you're not starting, we'll be fair to you. If you are starting, we'll be fair to both you AND us. Nothing wrong with that, imo.

This is a basketball article, but is relevant to this discussion IMO. I would say that thinking no athletes ever think about the possibility of transferring before signing on with a school is probably wishful thinking, at best.

I'm not sure, but I do think there are a lot of kids who want freedom to change schools in case something goes wrong.

The bolded part is where I can see an argument in Nick's favor. What went wrong? Coaching staff the same, he made the starting lineup and exceeded expectations, no family tragedy (that I'm aware of).

Did he get his feelings hurt over something? Who know's but to me, that's not a valid reason to get a release. Now if the coaching staff, said "NICK, you screwed us by not wrestling on a broken ankle and you won't be starting next year" than that would be a vaild reason for Nick, but obviously that is not the case. The staff WANTS him

Reactions: jschrantz
This is a basketball article, but is relevant to this discussion IMO. I would say that thinking no athletes ever think about the possibility of transferring before signing on with a school is probably wishful thinking, at best.
Well, if they DO think about the possibility of transferring while being recruited, then they already know what to expect when they do, right?

The bolded part is where I can see an argument in Nick's favor. What went wrong? Coaching staff the same, he made the starting lineup and exceeded expectations, no family tragedy (that I'm aware of).

Maybe his relationship with the coaching staff is worse than it was prior to getting on campus? There are a lot of reasons that are not athletic performance or non-familial tragedy based.

If at any point over Cael's contract he left PSU to go somewhere else, would he have to sit out a year?.

No the coach wouldn't have to sit out the year and that's why I would also grant release for ANY wrestler to leave if the coach left (since that's who they probably signed up for)

Also let's not forget..a coach is a paid professional. They can get fired for doing a bad job, a kid can't

If a kid discusses a transfer with another school behind Cael's back, and Cael releases him, that's sending a clear signal to 76 other Tim Beckman wannabes that the roster is wide open for poaching.

I'm sympathetic to guys needing to move on when circumstances change, but there's an established, common sense way to do it.

I just philosophically disagree with your position, though I understand why you feel that way. If at any point over Cael's contract he left PSU to go somewhere else, would he have to sit out a year? No, but athletes, for the most part, are forced to do the same.

I get why Cael won't release Suriano, it's good program sustaining move, and to have him transfer in conference is also bad. However, that doesn't mean I feel comfortable with how NCAA and conferences around the country regulate and oversee these things.

I see both your points, but the part that is tough is that if a school puts a lot of time, money, and planning into a kid, I can see why they feel like they are getting a raw deal if a kid decides to leave (unless a real good reason).

The school has done no recruiting for a 125 because they have the best already. School loses on more than just money. With the non-starters, most are probably not getting money anyway, so the school can't complain about that, hence release.

It may not even be the coaching staff's decision. Anyway, lots of factors here and probably slightly different for every kid, and we will never see everything involved or know all the reasons for decisions made.

Is the issue (if there is an issue) that Cael will not grant a blanket release to any program or just some programs. Release or not, Suriano per B1G rules would lose a year of eligibility transferring to another B1G school, unless they granted their Michigan waiver...since New Brunswick is in New Jersey and not Michigan, not happening.

I would not grant a release to another conference school, that might be petty, but PSU has to protect its interests and that includes not having to face Nick multiple times during the season. With Nick wanting to walk away after one year, Cael knows that, he recruits somebody else for 125.

I would grant a release if Suriano wanted to transfer to a non B1G school such as Rider.

In Basketball and football, restrictions are placed on transfers all the time.

Rules are needed, or chaos will be the result...regardless of sport. If the current rules are not good, work to change them. I personally don't see anything wrong today. Maybe a tweak, but no major change.
Exactly right. The B1G rule and the NCAA release rule prevent schools from poaching athletes from rival schools to fill a need.

Does anyone know the Pagano situation? Pretty sure he was released. Did he have to sit a year? Lose eligibility? I know he wrestled last year for Rutgers

He signed a contract, there are consequences to doing that. This is just an example of trying to avoid the consequences of your actions. There are plenty of things that responsible people would like to do, but don't, because of the negative consequences.

Reactions: yekrut321
If a kid discusses a transfer with another school behind Cael's back, and Cael releases him, that's sending a clear signal to 76 other Tim Beckman wannabes that the roster is wide open for poaching.

I'm sympathetic to guys needing to move on when circumstances change, but there's an established, common sense way to do it.
Uhhh...a kid needs a (separate) release just to discuss the transfer with that other school.

Reactions: nitlion6
So serious question, if Cael refuses to release Suriano, could it possibly have something to do with the fact that there appears to be massive communication going on with the RU staff with is a violation without a release to contact? at what point is it considered poaching? And maybe there is a real grievance in the way this situation is being handled (or mishandled)?? Just reading the tea leaves here.

Reactions: Lyons212
Isn't this all just more speculation based off what CP said on his radio program (not the most accurate track record, mind you). Why don't we wait til we get definite confirmation from the parties involved, if that happens, and see what the real reasons are and then base our judgements off that?

No the coach wouldn't have to sit out the year and that's why I would also grant release for ANY wrestler to leave if the coach left (since that's who they probably signed up for)

Also let's not forget..a coach is a paid professional. They can get fired for doing a bad job, a kid can't

A kid cant???? He can have his scholarship reduced or taken away. Scholly money is year to year and coaches change up on kids all the time.

Also Pagano did not need a release(unless you are saying he was getting any type of Scholly money, which would seem highly unlikely)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT