ADVERTISEMENT

latest Suriano news

Then let him go 133.. if that is really the issue and that isn't as easy as that to solve, that would be mind blowing.. yes 125 would suffer but 33 would become an instant NC contender... can't imagine it is that and that alone....

Then let him go 133.. if that is really the issue and that isn't as easy as that to solve, that would be mind blowing.. yes 125 would suffer but 33 would become an instant NC contender... can't imagine it is that and that alone....

It was a joke about Nevills.

Those are responses to IroniaHorse - saying that Suriano wants to go 33 is noise. It's not.

It's not just that and that alone, but he's not stupid and neither is Cael. He CAN make the weight, and it would be better for PSU if he did, but I don't think he wants to. The bigger issue is being homesick and apparently wanting to mix in training with Frankie Edgar for MMA.

Reactions: rubigtimenow

If Cael let's him go 33 does that affect the recruiting of Teasdale and RBY? Figured one of them goes 41 but I'd be shocked if one could get to 125?

The MMA thing is idiotic.. There is plenty of time for MMA training.. Phil Davis seems to be doing pretty well as is Ed Ruth (early returns). If that is the reason, that is absolutely foolish.. I gotta think cooler heads will prevail here... hopefully.

This sure is the Summer of Waiting:

Suriano to transfer?
Cael's contract?
McKenna status?
Oliver's appeal?
Spyker returned after we waited, otherwise we've been stuck clicking refresh. I'm ready for action

That and we're anxiously waiting on Worlds, I'm way too impatient for all this

1. WHEN IS THE SCHEDULE RELEASED ??

2. WHEN IS THE CARTON/PLETCHER MATCH & ON WHAT MAT ??

WE WANT ANSWERS !!!!

Those are responses to IroniaHorse - saying that Suriano wants to go 33 is noise. It's not.

It's not just that and that alone, but he's not stupid and neither is Cael. He CAN make the weight, and it would be better for PSU if he did, but I don't think he wants to. The bigger issue is being homesick and apparently wanting to mix in training with Frankie Edgar for MMA.

Then he should be prepared to lose a year of eligibility. He is not wrestling in a D1 program to train MMA. It's not why they recruit him. Giving him a release for this reason simply sets up precedent for others to do the same. Perhaps, I'm being insensitive but, geez, PSU is only 3-1/2 hours away and it's not like these student-athletes have a whole lot of down time.

Reactions: Creek Side
Sounds like I struck a nerve with you? You guys actually want him to lose a year and that's ridiculous. He's unhappy with PSU, why want to keep an unhappy man?

You guys will have your hands full with tOSU. You guys have also had a great run, congrats. Still doesn't stop me from speaking my mind about you guys being wrong about things.

Also moderator why is it not okay for me to mock but it is okay for your boy to call me an idiot?

One school we will definitely NOT have our hands full with is Iowa.

My source tells me he is unhappy because Nico was beating him in the room!!!

Seriously though I wish the kid nothing but the best whatever path he chooses.

Reactions: fronk71
Come on...who in the hell is getting "cheap" with our flush fund? Use some of it to move Frankie Edgar and his posse over to State College while Nick is here.

Problem solved....:rolleyes:

I know. I was thinking the same thing.

I'm sure Cael can toss Frankie Edgar another NLWC/MMA/Uncle Ira six-figure stipend.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
I hope it has nothing to do with Gavin. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. Especially when Waldo can't be found.

If he doesn't want to be there, let him go. This decision could cost the team a national title, but you can't force a kid to stay. If he leaves, some day he'll realize how good it could've been. It's like when Kolat left for Lock Haven. Today Kolat says in hindsight that situation could've been handled differently.

P.S. Should they re-open the "Don't Shoot the Messenger" thread??
No one is forcing him to stay. You are just holding him to the terms that he agreeded to when he signed his financial aid papers. He is free to transfer. He just has to accept the repercussions he agreed to. If he doesn't like those terms he can transfer to one of the many non B1G schools.

Is there any hope that we could shrink Keener to 125?

giphy.gif

Many posts ago I talked about Suriano and 133 and the Teasdale effect. Take a look.
I dont have any personal knowledge but I don't see why it its insane to think Teasdale couldn't be at 125 for his true freshman year. He wrestled 120 a few matches this past year at 18 years old.

I never get why anyone (21 lol) gets so adamant about where these kids project. It's so fluid. And no-one has any good info on the projections - they are just wild guesses. Not even the kids themselves.

Ive had a running argument for years with a wrestler you guys may know. In the beginning I was always high in the offseason, projecting him to fill out more than he did. Last couple years it switched, with him telling me he was going to move up 2 weight classes and me scoffing at it.

He is a freshman at college. He is going to redshirt. About a month ago he, his mother and me were in the car and the subject of his weight this coming year came up. I stated he was probably a 133 and honestly most coaches would want him at 125 if the season meant anything. He insisted he was going 141 and was shooting for higher when the shirt came off. Although I would love that for him, I laughed and said he was out of his mind. His mom agreed and the conversation actually started to get heated after a bit (not in a bad way). Finally, I conceded that if he was weighing around 140 or up come November that 141 would be great for his redshirt year just to get off the subject.

Hes started working out up there last Wednesday. Yesterday we were talking in the phone and I casually asked him what he weighed out at. He laughed and said I guess you were right. I weighed 136. I lost 12 pounds this week.

141 will have to wait. The point is nobody knows anything until the season is upon you.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I'm guessing Gavin is probably 140 lbs right now. He could make 125 but I guarantee he doesn't want to. Nick wanting to go up messes with the master plan. Maybe McHenry replaces Nick at 125. You have Cortez Teasdale RBY and Nick Lee coming in to the lineup. Seems like a good plan being mucked up.

Reactions: gymdad
Would be nice to know when this saga will end , what initiated this (best friends there) , coaches talk to him / dad, motive ?

I wouldn't grant full release. Going to competitor. Make him sit a year. Still think this is would be one of the top worst transfers in collegiate sports

I'm guessing Gavin is probably 140 lbs right now. He could make 125 but I guarantee he doesn't want to. Nick wanting to go up messes with the master plan. Maybe McHenry replaces Nick at 125. You have Cortez Teasdale RBY and Nick Lee coming in to the lineup. Seems like a good plan being mucked up.
Will be GREAT to get McHenry. We all know for sure he will be a 125 pounder 4 years.

I know. I was thinking the same thing.

I'm sure Cael can toss Frankie Edgar another NLWC/MMA/Uncle Ira six-figure stipend.
You're not gonna like hearing this since I don't exactly have a sterling rep on the boards but you're probably the one single person I find agreeing myself with most . I don't know how many times I was about ready to post something only to find you already did. Lol

McHenry very likely will need a shirt year to bulk up to 125, in which case he's not available until Nov 2020. Assuming he comes to PSU at all.

You're not gonna like hearing this since I don't exactly have a sterling rep on the boards but you're probably the one single person I find agreeing myself with most . I don't know how many times I was about ready to post something only to find you already did. Lol

Great
Minds
Think
Alike

Reactions: johnstownsteel
You're not gonna like hearing this since I don't exactly have a sterling rep on HR but you're probably the one single person I find agreeing myself with most . I don't know how many times I was about ready to post something only to find you already did. Lol

Fixed it for you. (Or have you been banned on other boards? :()

Digger does do good work. He's also very humble.

Great
Minds
Think
Alike

For sure. I'm thinking if nick sticks around McHenry in 2020 would be a next in line kid. If Suriano wants to go up it presses an already stacked group of weight classes and forces Cael to look for a 25 long before McHenry is ready maybe closing the door for him

4 yr 25 lber, 33 is just noise..you're flat out wrong

McHenry very likely will need a shirt year to bulk up to 125, in which case he's not available until Nov 2020. Assuming he comes to PSU at all.

Worth the wait. I wouldn't recruit anyone else at 125.

I thought Jack Mueller would have needed a shirt to bulk up and he did fine. He was never as small as McHenry, but he was not a very big dude. Another guy who is just lighting quick.

Gavin making 125 for one year is no more outrageous than Berge making 149 for one or two. The plan they should sell Nick is to let him go up to 133. Tell Keener to suck down or just enjoy his Grad studies. Gavin comes in for one year at 125 and then redshirts Nick's senior year at 133.

Reactions: bsnyds39
ADVERTISEMENT