ADVERTISEMENT

latest Suriano news

And, for probably the 3000th time, PSU's release or non-release of any wrestler has no bearing on B1G's transfer rule.

Think this information needs to be pinned for our Iowa and Rutgers "friends".

It's amazing how many Iowa fans are suddenly concerned for Suriano's interests. I mean it's not like they have some ulterior reasons.

Reactions: Lyons212 and Grass
You're an idiot troll and hope you get banned. The rules are in place for a reason. If you don't like the rule go petition B1G headquarters

Only reason you're here is to troll. As far as costing us national title? We just won by 46 points with no points from 125/133. Get real chump.

6 of 7. Go figure out how to troll that

Sounds like I struck a nerve with you? You guys actually want him to lose a year and that's ridiculous. He's unhappy with PSU, why want to keep an unhappy man?

You guys will have your hands full with tOSU. You guys have also had a great run, congrats. Still doesn't stop me from speaking my mind about you guys being wrong about things.

Also moderator why is it not okay for me to mock but it is okay for your boy to call me an idiot?

Also moderator why is it not okay for me to mock but it is okay for your boy to call me an idiot?

Um, I'm guessing because pish69 is a well known and respected poster on this board and you are a troll.

Yes, I think that's the reason.

Reactions: pish69
Dayhawk what year are you thinking PSU fans want him to lose? The rule is the rule. He is going to lose it if he goes to RU. Otherwise transfer out of conference and wrestle three years. It's not like there are a shortage of teams he could go to.

Reactions: slushhead
And, for probably the 3000th time, PSU's release or non-release of any wrestler has no bearing on B1G's transfer rule.

For matriculated student athletes. Release does have bearing for pre-matriculated student athletes who have signed a NLI.

Dayhawk what year are you thinking PSU fans want him to lose? The rule is the rule. He is going to lose it if he goes to RU. Otherwise transfer out of conference and wrestle three years. It's not like there are a shortage of teams he could go to.

Not my point (though I highly doubt he loses a year, I'm sure there's a family illness etc). You guys want him to lose this year. I've read at least 5 different posters talking about "if Cael could give him a release, I really hope he doesn't." Yet you criticize others for not giving releases...what's the difference?

Sounds like I struck a nerve with you? You guys actually want him to lose a year and that's ridiculous. He's unhappy with PSU, why want to keep an unhappy man?

You guys will have your hands full with tOSU. You guys have also had a great run, congrats. Still doesn't stop me from speaking my mind about you guys being wrong about things.

We will not have trouble with OSU or any other program that will be fighting for 2nd for years and years to come. Dynasty.

Not my point (though I highly doubt he loses a year, I'm sure there's a family illness etc). You guys want him to lose this year. I've read at least 5 different posters talking about "if Cael could give him a release, I really hope he doesn't." Yet you criticize others for not giving releases...what's the difference?

Maybe it is more appropriate to take it up with those 5 posters specifically (assuming they are on record as having opposed non-releases by other schools), rather than throwing a blanket "you guys want him to lose a year" allegation at the entire board?

What's your opinion if Lee decides to replace Suriano? Should Lee loose a year or not?

Reactions: diggerpup
So in this case it sounds like a release means he could get scholarship money in the year he sits out at RU. That's it. I hope he gets the release and uses their money. If there are extenuating circumstances I don't think anyone would argue against it but if there is ticky tacky BS about someone's feelings getting hurt I can only assume a number of people on this board would oppose this.

Now if a release meant an uninjured Lee could transfer here and wrestle day 1 do you think that would be fair after the Hawks put a lot of resources, time and energy into him when they could have spent that money elsewhere? I don't think that would be right.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
You're not very bright, are you? This is our board, like basically a one way street, unless you're known. You are not known, and your first message you mock the board. Get a clue. Your ice is melting.

You're not very bright, are you? This is our board, like basically a one way street, unless you're known. You are not known, and your first message you mock the board. Get a clue. Your ice is melting.

fat-guy-jumping-into-ice.gif

He is not back.
I have no idea what camp/clinic they are referring to, but he could be doing an off campus camp/clinic similar to the one at West Branch High School a month ago and still not be back on campus.
Just saying.

All I'm saying is you guys bash people when they don't release kids but because it may cost you a national title, now you're all against releasing him? It's a very real point. I'll give you the "f**" comment was mocking however I think my first point should be actually discussed.

Say if Spencer Lee wanted to leave and go to Ohio State, I'd be upset but I would support the release. You're taking away a year from a kid.
Just for the heck of it. Penn State can release him and to a Big10 school it matters not.

If he did not want to continue his Penn State education I would rather see him given his release. Of course, unless he wants to go to Princeton, Penn, Lehigh or Rider or some other non Big10 school the release, well it matters not.

You're an idiot troll and hope you get banned. The rules are in place for a reason. If you don't like the rule go petition B1G headquarters

Only reason you're here is to troll. As far as costing us national title? We just won by 46 points with no points from 125/133. Get real chump.

6 of 7. Go figure out how to troll that

#micdrop

For matriculated student athletes. Release does have bearing for pre-matriculated student athletes who have signed a NLI.

Good point. Suriano is a matriculated student athlete, though.

Dayhawk - don't complain about your treatment here. On HR, your mods ban people without saying a peep to them - not even the courtesy of a warning or anything like one.

Since it came up on FRL and since the article above gets it wrong as well, I'm going to try and find an easier way to explain the rules.

There are two distinct transfer restrictions implicated if Suriano were to leave Penn State for Rutgers, the NCAA's rules and the B1G intra-conference rules.

The risk to violating the NCAA restrictions concerns loss of scholarship money.

The risk to violating the B1G intra-conference restrictions concerns loss of one year of competition eligibility.

Only the NCAA transfer restriction (re scholarship money) can be waived by the current school. Specifically, the dance goes like so: (1) student wishing to transfer goes to present school and requests permission to contact letter for school he'd like to transfer to; (2) student works out deal with new school; (3) present school issues release. Scholarship money is preserved. Simply leaving school 1 for school 2 without doing that dance will result in a loss of athletic scholarship money for the following year.

The B1G intra-conference transfer restriction (loss of one year competition eligibility) can't be waived by the present school. Releases that have come with respect to this rule concern not-yet-matriculated students--students who have signed their LOI but not yet attended a class. But for matriculated students, like Suriano, there's no provision for a release, the rule is automatic and unambiguous.

I imagine, without evidence other than inferring from the Micic situation, that the present school could cooperate with a petition by the transferring student to waive the B1G restriction (but ultimately the decision would be in the B1G's hands). But I also imagine that the B1G is going to want you have to have a damn good reason, probably amounting to the student being unfairly prejudiced by the rule due to circumstances beyond that student's control. I've no idea what a successful waiver petition would look like, except to infer from Micic's circumstances what makes sense.

I defer to @RoarLions1 on my interpretation of any of the above, but I read it through and it seems pretty straightforward. But the confusion everyone is having is due to the two distinct restrictions by two overlapping bodies.
Just to add a couple things...the new Big Ten rules were passed in 2010, and started taking effect in school year 2011-12. Two aspects of league rules were affected. First, the rule of penalizing a student-athlete by disallowing financial aid for one year was abolished. Second, the eligibility portion is (as I understand it) exactly as tikk notes above. Problem is, there's no transparency. If the Big Ten would publish their rules (what I have is from multiple news agency's in the 2010-2012 time frame), AND explain the reasons for waiving the rule when it's done (Micic, others), fans wouldn't be so confused.

Just to add a couple things...the new Big Ten rules were passed in 2010, and started taking effect in school year 2011-12. Two aspects of league rules were affected. First, the rule of penalizing a student-athlete by disallowing financial aid for one year was abolished. Second, the eligibility portion is (as I understand it) exactly as tikk notes above. Problem is, there's no transparency. If the Big Ten would publish their rules (what I have is from multiple news agency's in the 2010-2012 time frame), AND explain the reasons for waiving the rule when it's done (Micic, others), fans wouldn't be so confused.
But, Roar, if they did that, then they couldn't apply rules arbitrarily to suit their desired outcome or to benefit their favorite coaches/programs.

But, Roar, if they did that, then they couldn't apply rules arbitrarily to suit their desired outcome or to benefit their favorite coaches/programs.
Ha...does seem that way. I'm more trusting than that...and believe in full public disclosure. Not knowing the facts causes fans to go into conspiracy mode.

Funny, even in my little corner of the world, for those that know me and what I do, we deal with supposition, #fakenews, and conspiracy theorists too!!

Your problem is the blanket statement. I and quite a few others are already "on record" as saying Rutgers is as good a place as any and we WANT him to wrestle next year if he goes. Picking a number (like 5 or "you're board") is silly.

Also, context is important. Sometimes in the heat of the moment someone will talk strategy without thinking about the larger context (the kid themselves). Happens all the time on your board where PSU people pick out something and rip the board. That is why you (and others) should understand.

I know everyone on this board likes Suriano not only as a wrestler, but as a young man and wants the best for him. Its pretty obvious if you read regularly, and that there is no double standard. No need for the "dig" and the negativity.

Steve Rivera‏@EliteWrestling
One more day of the #BetterEveryDayCamp.We are Excited To Finish With Nick Suriano. See you on the mats

7:30 AM - 14 Jul 2017

Checking to see if anyone has information....and a simple search on twitter suggests he won't be the room today. A guest at this camp yesterday was none other than the Rutgers coach. A coincidence, I'm sure.

Good point. Suriano is a matriculated student athlete, though.

Dayhawk - don't complain about your treatment here. On HR, your mods ban people without saying a peep to them - not even the courtesy of a warning or anything like one.
What is the SOP here on banning? Does the poster get a e-mail verbal warning?

I've talked to a couple people now about this that usually know what's going on. Obviously, this is a real thing, although a whole bunch of the speculation on here, RU site, HR, FLO, is not accurate. No weight issues, no injury issues, no culture issues, etc. From the PSU point of view, it's a kid who went home and is struggling about coming back - like a lot of normal college freshman. Although this is still just conjecture for the most part because there hasn't been a lot of communication. He just didn't come back up to SC this summer and hasn't gotten in touch with anyone about it.

I also don't get the impression that they are too worried about this. Whether that's because they don't think it's going to happen, or they are just like "let the kid do what he wants, we'll be fine one way or the other." I'm really not sure - this is consistent with what I've seen in other situations. These guys are supremely confident in what is going on up there and that the fact that they are going to be the best program whether an individual boards, jumps off, or never gets on the train. So confident that it would probably smack of arrogance to rival fanbases. But it is always an "alpha dog" attitude that bleeds through when I talk to my sources. Not pompous, but they don't seem to worry about a lot of stuff like we do on message boards. And I guess for good reason.

I also don't get the impression that things - at least on the PSU side - are anywhere near contemplating a waiver (not that it seems like they would really work to stop this if they couldn't get over this hump), so I would bet a ton of money that all the waiver chatter is coming from the RU side of things.

Not to pat myself on the back, but it sounds exactly like what I thought was going on before talking to anyone. A freshman kid who is very close with his parents coming home. Maybe rethinking about going back to a college that is 4 hours away and in an entirely different setting than he grew up in. Lot's of homeboys and guys who train him and with him encouraging this and going off the rails excited with the possibility of him going home without really knowing any details of what is involved (for reference - just look at the multitude of threads with posts about redshirts, grad transfers, waivers, lol). Then the RU staff scrambling to figure out a way to make this happen when it is a very difficult thing to do and they're not really sure how to get it done but they don't want to let an opportunity like this slide.

I really wouldn't worry about it, but know that will fall on deaf ears. I don't think that staff is losing sleep over it.

BTW - just wanted to add, that I'm not talking to Cael like spyker does. So this is 3rd and 4th hand info although I've gotten fairly good at interpreting especially when info lines up from different people. But something always gets lost in translation. Put it at 83%.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT