ADVERTISEMENT

latest Suriano news

I also don't get the impression that they are too worried about this. [snip] These guys are supremely confident in what is going on up there and that the fact that they are going to be the best program whether an individual boards, jumps off, or never gets on the train. [snip] But it is always an "alpha dog" attitude that bleeds through when I talk to my sources. Not pompous, but they don't seem to worry about a lot of stuff like we do on message boards. And I guess for good reason.
[snip]
I really wouldn't worry about it, but know that will fall on deaf ears. I don't think that staff is losing sleep over it.

Thanks Diceman.

I always wonder a bit if some kids are SO focused on their sport that perhaps they never really get into, and can enjoy, what the university and town have to offer. Of course this would be true at any college. Especially if they have a girlfriend back home (Not saying NS does, just talking generally.)

Reactions: paulouie
I've talked to a couple people now about this that usually know what's going on. Obviously, this is a real thing, although a whole bunch of the speculation on here, RU site, HR, FLO, is not accurate. No weight issues, no injury issues, no culture issues, etc. From the PSU point of view, it's a kid who went home and is struggling about coming back - like a lot of normal college freshman. Although this is still just conjecture for the most part because there hasn't been a lot of communication. He just didn't come back up to SC this summer and hasn't gotten in touch with anyone about it.

I also don't get the impression that they are too worried about this. Whether that's because they don't think it's going to happen, or they are just like "let the kid do what he wants, we'll be fine one way or the other." I'm really not sure - this is consistent with what I've seen in other situations. These guys are supremely confident in what is going on up there and that the fact that they are going to be the best program whether an individual boards, jumps off, or never gets on the train. So confident that it would probably smack of arrogance to rival fanbases. But it is always an "alpha dog" attitude that bleeds through when I talk to my sources. Not pompous, but they don't seem to worry about a lot of stuff like we do on message boards. And I guess for good reason.

I also don't get the impression that things - at least on the PSU side - are anywhere near contemplating a waiver (not that it seems like they would really work to stop this if they couldn't get over this hump), so I would bet a ton of money that all the waiver chatter is coming from the RU side of things.

Not to pat myself on the back, but it sounds exactly like what I thought was going on before talking to anyone. A freshman kid who is very close with his parents coming home. Maybe rethinking about going back to a college that is 4 hours away and in an entirely different setting than he grew up in. Lot's of homeboys and guys who train him and with him encouraging this and going off the rails excited with the possibility of him going home without really knowing any details of what is involved (for reference - just look at the multitude of threads with posts about redshirts, grad transfers, waivers, lol). Then the RU staff scrambling to figure out a way to make this happen when it is a very difficult thing to do and they're not really sure how to get it done but they don't want to let an opportunity like this slide.

I really wouldn't worry about it, but know that will fall on deaf ears. I don't think that staff is losing sleep over it.

BTW - just wanted to add, that I'm not talking to Cael like spyker does. So this is 3rd and 4th hand info although I've gotten fairly good at interpreting especially when info lines up from different people. But something always gets lost in translation. Put it at 83%.
Thanks Dice for the perspective. I'd only note that it seems apparent at least that he (or maybe his dad) is communicating with parties that aren't PSU and dropping somewhat specific complaints. Maybe that's all baseless in fact but there's a reason it's all out there, though speculation down that road is a giant waste of time.

Also curious how your take squares with Christian Pyles' claim on FRL that Cael has been traveling to NJ to essentially re-recruit Nick.

Thanks Diceman.

I always wonder a bit if some kids are SO focused on their sport that perhaps they never really get into, and can enjoy, what the university and town have to offer. Of course this would be true at any college. Especially if they have a girlfriend back home (Not saying NS does, just talking generally.)
Not directed at the Suriano situation directly, but different people like different things. And to add on to the point, many kids are so focused on their sport that it becomes the main focus of picking their college, when there really are so many other factors that should be considered. But that's too be expected in general, not necessarily pointing to Suriano situation.

Thanks Dice for the perspective. I'd only note that it seems apparent at least that he (or maybe his dad) is communicating with parties that aren't PSU and dropping somewhat specific complaints. Maybe that's all baseless in fact but there's a reason it's all out there, though speculation down that road is a giant waste of time.

Also curious how your take squares with Christian Pyles' claim on FRL that Cael has been traveling to NJ to essentially re-recruit Nick.

Point #1 - I'm not sure it's baseless, I just think that this hasn't been communicated to PSU if it isn't. And in my own opinion, I could see some of what I posted above rubbing certain wrestlers families the wrong way as it is quite different from what they have been exposed to for most of their lives. That is not to be taken as knowledge of the Suriano situation, just a comment in general, as I don't personally know the Suriano's from first base having only be exposed to them in tournaments and events through the years. And, to add, if you are contemplating making a break in a relationship in anything, and are talking to people about it, usually you are going to come up with some rationale for your decision - and sometimes that rationale can be viewed differently depending on what side of the fence you are on.

Point #2 - I don't think my points exclude what CP reported. I would expect that if this was the situation and Cael did not have much information, he would make it a point to find out what is going on as, despite some hater's commentary, this is a wrestler that is part of his family at PSU. I just haven't heard that personally that he has made this trip, but it wouldn't surprise me if it has been done in the recent past, is going on now, or is in the works.

Point #1 - I'm not sure it's baseless, I just think that this hasn't been communicated to PSU if it isn't. And in my own opinion, I could see some of what I posted above rubbing certain wrestlers families the wrong way as it is quite different from what they have been exposed to for most of their lives. That is not to be taken as knowledge of the Suriano situation, just a comment in general, as I don't personally know the Suriano's from first base having only be exposed to them in tournaments and events through the years. And, to add, if you are contemplating making a break in a relationship in anything, and are talking to people about it, usually you are going to come up with some rationale for your decision - and sometimes that rationale can be viewed differently depending on what side of the fence you are on.

Point #2 - I don't think my points exclude what CP reported. I would expect that if this was the situation and Cael did not have much information, he would make it a point to find out what is going on as, despite some hater's commentary, this is a wrestler that is part of his family at PSU. I just haven't heard that personally that he has made this trip, but it wouldn't surprise me if it has been done in the recent past, is going on now, or is in the works.
Always appreciate your takes on things and dedication to the sport. Thanks.

dice...TR disputes your position that weight class is a factor in this.

(just breaking ballz, you know I love ya)

Reactions: dicemen99
If Nick wants to go bad enough I would give him his release for anywhere but Rutgers. This is 2nd year in a row that Rutgers has tampered with our roster, and I just don't think Cael should let them skate free on this.

If wrestling next year is a priority there are non-Big Ten schools near by would love to have him.

If Nick wants to go bad enough I would give him his release for anywhere but Rutgers. This is 2nd year in a row that Rutgers has tampered with our roster, and I just don't think Cael should let them skate free on this.

If wrestling next year is a priority there are non-Big Ten schools near by would love to have him.
The beating by Cael's proxies will occur this winter. Richie Lewis will be dragged back onto the mat by one ankle for more punishment - like the "sister" in Shawshank being dragged back into his cell by the guards for more beating

From what Dice posted, sounds like Suriano is homesick and is delaying his return as long as possible to PSU. Some RU staff and wrestlers know this and are trying to take advantage of it to convince Suriano to leave PSU for RU. Only problem is that B1G rule about losing a year of eligibility which Suriano is not willing to do.

As many others have posted, if this was about Suriano truly being homesick, he withdraws from PSU and transfers to Rider and avoids the B1G rule.

I fully understand, I have a kid who we go through this every year with returning to school for the Fall semester.

Do you know what it is about?
I think so. It isn't any dissatisfaction with injury treatment, coaching, chemistry, weight or MMA.

I am not saying, simply because while I have the jist of it - it needs to play itself out
Eff you. We do not. You wanna meet me somewhere to "discuss" this? :)
There is a bridge someplace in Iowa where they get together for these meetings. ;)

Is Suriano leaving because this board doesn't show him enough love? I know that I have posted more pics of him than any B&W fan.

Is Suriano leaving because this board doesn't show him enough love? I know that I have posted more pics of him than any B&W fan.
The Suriano eye poke is one of your classic fixations along with:

Cael and National Duals
Mark Hall's grasp of Western Hemisphere Geography
Jeff Byers' Cardinal Sin calling Minnesota's singlet colors "Burgundy and Gold"

What else should I add fellas? What other figurative windmills does Jammen Quixote tilt at?

This sure is the Summer of Waiting:

Suriano to transfer?
Cael's contract?
McKenna status?
Oliver's appeal?
Spyker returned after we waited, otherwise we've been stuck clicking refresh. I'm ready for action

That and we're anxiously waiting on Worlds, I'm way too impatient for all this

Reactions: diggerpup
Jammy is just a little stressed. I am sure he is working hard to get all those Gopher 2018 championship tee shirts ready for shipment and holy cow, the Xanax supply in the northland is diminished this year.

Suriano to transfer?
Cael's contract?
McKenna status?
Oliver's appeal?
Spyker returned after we waited, otherwise we've been stuck clicking refresh. I'm ready for action

Next summer it will be: Spencer Lee to transfer to PSU?

Then we'll get to witness what calm and rational posters there are on HR.

The Suriano eye poke is one of your classic fixations along with:

Cael and National Duals
Mark Hall's grasp of Western Hemisphere Geography
Jeff Byers' Cardinal Sin calling Minnesota's singlet colors "Burgundy and Gold"

What else should I add fellas? What other figurative windmills does Jammen Quixote tilt at?
Fans thinking up cutesy nicknames for their wrestlers.
p.s. Byers said "burgundy and yellow".

Reactions: Chickenman Testa

Suriano to transfer?
Cael's contract?
McKenna status?
Oliver's appeal?

It's been a terrible offseason. Not to mention relatively low freestyle participation.

It's been a terrible offseason. Not to mention relatively low freestyle participation.

I mean, the offseason has not been that bad, even if we lose Suriano it still has not been that bad.

Zain is repping his first world team.
Nolf finished 3rd in his first senior trials.
Bo was good at the Open and finished 4th.
Hall is repping the junior world team.
Wittlake is repping the cadet world team.
Teasdale flipped to PSU.
Seth Nevills committed to PSU. (edited out Nick)
Michael Beard committed to PSU.

Losing Suriano would be bad, but LemonPie gonna LemonPie I guess.

Last edited:
Considering PSU has the best recruiting class in about 25 years coming in next Fall (assuming they can hold it together), it has been a great offseason. Suriano has not left yet, Cael is still coaching.

Not sure what there is to complain about.

Reactions: Antaeus and papa_ed
I mean, the offseason has not been that bad, even if we lose Suriano it still has not been that bad.

Zain is repping his first world team.
Nolf finished 3rd in his first senior trials.
Bo was good at the Open and finished 4th.
Hall is repping the junior world team.
Wittlake is repping the cadet world team.
Teasdale flipped to PSU.
Nick Nevills committed to PSU.
Michael Beard committed to PSU.

Losing Suriano would be bad, but LemonPie gonna LemonPie I guess.
Seth

Considering PSU has the best recruiting class in about 25 years coming in next Fall (assuming they can hold it together), it has been a great offseason. Suriano has not left yet, Cael is still coaching.

Not sure what there is to complain about.

If you were stuck in LemonPie's life, you'd be complaining too.

Reactions: diggerpup
Nick Nevills committed to PSU.
So if he wrestles for a B10 team, then recommits, and its with the same B10 team, but has already used his RS, does he still lose a year of eligibility? I'm thinking with it being the same school, there's some wiggle room.

Reactions: Dogwelder
So if he wrestles for a B10 team, then recommits, and its with the same B10 team, but has already used his RS, does he still lose a year of eligibility? I'm thinking with it being the same school, there's some wiggle room.

He wants to go to 133.

Reactions: citibill
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT