ADVERTISEMENT

latest Suriano news

What a shitshow this is.
Indeed
A) apologies for telling Nova to shut the f up. There was probably a better way to express myself.
B) why is this all so freaking obscure. Does anyone know what the actual problem is?
C) I told you so about Zain

The only thing I can think of is that he doesn't want to wrestle 125. He may want to go 133 and PSU brought in Keener for that weight. That may be why the family's upset. Pure speculation on my part.
He's a 4 yr 25lber..dont think wt class has anything to do with it-jmo

Nick and his parents are smart. They will work things out with Cael and the staff. They know how good Nick has it at PSU. Great teammates, education, partners, and best staff in the world !
Plus, if he transfers, he won't get to see you regularly at practice!

But, I won't believe he is leaving until it sets in concrete under the meadowlands.

If he doesn't want to be there, let him go. This decision could cost the team a national title, but you can't force a kid to stay. If he leaves, some day he'll realize how good it could've been. It's like when Kolat left for Lock Haven. Today Kolat says in hindsight that situation could've been handled differently.

P.S. Should they re-open the "Don't Shoot the Messenger" thread??
The only possible parallel is that Kolat and Fritz butted heads sometimes. IDK how much or even if Nick and Cael have. Otherwise it's nothing like when Kolat left. That was largely, if not entirely, for another reason that we would've heard about by now if Nick did -- publicly, not just message board chatter.

My confusion is in what the heck he could be so upset about as to want to transfer to Rutgers.. haha
I heard from a reliable source (Ramos) that in the last practice before Suriano got injured, Suriano was playing on the White dodgeball team, but Cael chose to coach the Blue dodgeball team. So, Suriano felt that he was was lied to a couple times. Suriano felt like he was stabbed in the back. He felt like he was loyal to a fault, and right then the first thing he was thinking was he needed to move on and get out of the Penn State program. Suriano didn't think there was one person inside the Penn State program, other than Casey Cunningham, who wanted to see him win that dodgeball game.

Last edited:
A poster in another PSU board said his son is at a PSU camp and Suriano is one of the counselors. I'm curious to know how he can be at PSU working a camp and at RU WC (according to an RU insider) at the same time

Link?

Could be money. I know many wrestlers who have performance based scholarships. If they AA, they get 50%. If their Champs, 75%. Maybe that's the issue? Suriano believes he would have placed top two and maybe isn't getting top two scholarship money. I have no idea if this is true, but figured with all I've read, what's another rumor gonna hurt?

Cael is one of the best recruiters out there. He is probably throwing his best stuff at Nick right now. But If he succeeds and gets Suriano back, what will the team chemistry be like? Im curious to know what the other Lion wrestlers think right now.

Also if Cael does release him to Rutgers it could be a crafty move by him next year. Suriano starts and possibly takes out Tomesello at Big Tens & nationals. Might mean the difference in taking team titles next year. Ohio State is no joke right now

Cael is one of the best recruiters out there. He is probably throwing his best stuff at Nick right now. But If he succeeds and gets Suriano back, what will the team chemistry be like? Im curious to know what the other Lion wrestlers think right now.

Also if Cael does release him to Rutgers it could be a crafty move by him next year. Suriano starts and possibly takes out Tomesello at Big Tens & nationals. Might mean the difference in taking team titles next year. Ohio State is no joke right now
Turk, wouldnt it be better for them if Suriano was getting points for the Nitty Kittys while taking out Nato?

Ohio State will be fighting for 2nd along with many others with or without for many many years.

In the end, it's an individual sport. I'm sure they'd appreciate him giving PSU another go. Unless you are Pat Duggan. Then you transfer because Suriano got recruited twice and that's not fair.

Turk, wouldnt it be better for them if Suriano was getting points for the Nitty Kittys while taking out Nato?
Of course it would. Im just saying if Nick transfers no matter what scenario. IF Cael doesn't release him and he redshirts at Rutgers, Tomasello and Ohio State benefit.

Reactions: CowboyUp61
Of course it would. Im just saying if Nick transfers no matter what scenario. IF Cael doesn't release him and he redshirts at Rutgers, Tomasello and Ohio State benefit.

Agreed. I think PSU Mike mentioned it earlier. If he is determined to leave, best case for PSU would be go to a non title contender (anyone but tOSU) and take out Nato during his senior season....and I have a hard time seeing Nick not win a title.

Bo Nickal going 184 tore apart the locker room, or so we heard.

Reactions: diggerpup and Grass
Don't martyr him. Do that and he'll whine on HR about the hair-triggered ban hammer, and perpetuate that myth.

Besides, it's not like he's any real threat to Jammen's #1 PFP Troll ranking.
They've done that before. He got a warning.

So you're in the camp that disagrees with the multiple postings and explanations of the B1G intraconference transfer rule? There is no mention of a release in the rule for matriculated student athletes, and so I fail to see how a release can be relevant to whether Suriano would be eligible to compete next season. Per B1G (not NCAA), he would have to complete a full academic year of residence at RU before being eligible to wrestle there.

Reactions: tikk10
So you're in the camp that disagrees with the multiple postings and explanations of the B1G intraconference transfer rule? There is no mention of a release in the rule for matriculated student athletes, and so I fail to see how a release can be relevant to whether Suriano would be eligible to compete next season. Per B1G (not NCAA), he would have to complete a full academic year of residence at RU before being eligible to wrestle there.
Wish i knew. The rules confuse me at times. Im guessing Cael doesn't release him if he decides to transfer. Might help ward off future kids that get homesick. The thought of possibly losing a year of eligibility cant feel good to anyone. Metcalf, Slaton and JayBo come to mind(obviously a different situation). Hate to see any wrestlers lose a year due to "political rules"

Dude, one and only warning. Don't come hear and mock this board.

All I'm saying is you guys bash people when they don't release kids but because it may cost you a national title, now you're all against releasing him? It's a very real point. I'll give you the "f**" comment was mocking however I think my first point should be actually discussed.

Say if Spencer Lee wanted to leave and go to Ohio State, I'd be upset but I would support the release. You're taking away a year from a kid.

And you are taking away all the time the coach used to recruit you. I wouldn't let him wrestle right away. I would let him play by the rule and sit a year

All I'm saying is you guys bash people when they don't release kids but because it may cost you a national title, now you're all against releasing him? It's a very real point. I'll give you the "f**" comment was mocking however I think my first point should be actually discussed.

Say if Spencer Lee wanted to leave and go to Ohio State, I'd be upset but I would support the release. You're taking away a year from a kid.

You're an idiot troll and hope you get banned. The rules are in place for a reason. If you don't like the rule go petition B1G headquarters

Only reason you're here is to troll. As far as costing us national title? We just won by 46 points with no points from 125/133. Get real chump.

6 of 7. Go figure out how to troll that

No, the B1G is taking the year away (assuming the hypothetical Lee transfer is post-matriculation -- that makes it an apples-to-apples comparison to Suriano). Brands and Iowa would have no control over that. Now, if they wanted to mess with Lee's eligibility for scholarship his first year at tOSU, then yes, not granting a release would accomplish that.

PSU's hypothetical release/non-release has no bearing on the B1G rule that requires Suriano to complete a full academic year of residence at RU before being eligible to wrestle there.

Would you if Tan Tom went behind Brands' back and recruited Lee without permission to speak with him?

Reactions: diggerpup
Would you if Tan Tom went behind Brands' back and recruited Lee without permission to speak with him?

Can't speak for everybody, but I am always going to be in favor of releasing wrestlers who want to leave. They are the ones whose lives are affected.

Can't speak for everybody, but I am always going to be in favor of releasing wrestlers who want to leave. They are the ones whose lives are affected.

And, for probably the 3000th time, PSU's release or non-release of any wrestler has no bearing on B1G's transfer rule.

ADVERTISEMENT