ADVERTISEMENT

Latest in Paterno v NCAA

I know it is a long shot but Hollywood hates Republicans. If RMB makes a convincing link between TSM and Corbutt which he already has, how much he hated Spanier which he does then the best movie would be a who dun-it....Joe or Corbutt. A dirty Republican Governor pulling strings in the background corrupting the AG and Judiciary to cover his a$$ with kick backs in the form of donations to get elected paints an interesting picture. Run that in parallel with whether there was a conspiracy by CSS and possibly Paterno that does not hold water and leave them guessing in the end would be a good movie.

Two potential villains and you figure it out in the end! I know I am dreaming but it would work.

Joe was a Republican, IIRC. You may need to re-work your plot.

Joe was a Republican, IIRC. You may need to re-work your plot.
True but that only helps the plot. Since both of the people that would be the potential villians the story are Republicans, I don't expect the movie to vindicate anyone just build the plot for the viewers to figure it out.

Joe was a Republican, but he refused to endorse or support Corbutt's Gubernatorial Campaign (only time I can remember Joe refusing to support a a major Republican Candidate). It did not go unnoticed by Corbett who was furious.

Famous Joe Nixon quote "Amazing he knew so little about Watergate, yet so much about College Football".

Joe was a Republican, but he refused to endorse or support Corbutt's Gubernatorial Campaign (only time I can remember Joe refusing to support a a major Republican Candidate). It did not go unnoticed by Corbett who was furious.
I have a very hazy recollection that JVP, or someone on his behalf, said that by the time Corbett ran PSU preferred that high ranking officials, like Joe, refrain from endorsing candidates for any office. I could be wrong but it seems plausible given the obsession most universities have with being PC. I also think by that point in his life Joe may have lost any zeal for politics. After he spoke at the RNC for Bush 41 in 1988 I do not recall him ever being involved on behalf of any other candidate (other than Scott).

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
I have a very hazy recollection that JVP, or someone on his behalf, said that by the time Corbett ran PSU preferred that high ranking officials, like Joe, refrain from endorsing candidates for any office. I could be wrong but it seems plausible given the obsession most universities have with being PC. I also think by that point in his life Joe may have lost any zeal for politics. After he spoke at the RNC for Bush 41 in 1988 I do not recall him ever being involved on behalf of any other candidate (other than Scott).
I believed Joe refrained from endorsing PA political candidates since he didn't want to create any friction between the university and the state if his preferred candidate lost. Oddly enough, the only time Joe pissed off a candidate was when he DIDN'T endorse him. It really laid bare the mindset of Corbett in that he felt PA Republicans should bow down and worship him. Of course he was also pissed at Spanier for hosting PSU alum and Democratic candidate Dan Onorato at a football game. All this put two high profile Penn State officials (Paterno and Spanier) squarely on Corbett's hit list.

It's my understanding that Joe made it a policy to never endorse gubernatorial candidates because the winner automatically assumed a seat on the BOT.

Reactions: Hotshoe
I know it is a long shot but Hollywood hates Republicans. If RMB makes a convincing link between TSM and Corbutt which he already has, how much he hated Spanier which he does then the best movie would be a who dun-it....Joe or Corbutt. A dirty Republican Governor pulling strings in the background corrupting the AG and Judiciary to cover his a$$ with kick backs in the form of donations to get elected paints an interesting picture. Run that in parallel with whether there was a conspiracy by CSS and possibly Paterno that does not hold water and leave them guessing in the end would be a good movie.

Two potential villains and you figure it out in the end! I know I am dreaming but it would work.

There is corruption on both sides of the aisle and new Dem AG Shapiro is cut from the same cloth as Corbett.

That said, I like your movie idea. I'm sure we could lobby for a pillow talk scene with Corbett in bed with Ganim. :D

There is corruption on both sides of the aisle and new Dem AG Shapiro is cut from the same cloth as Corbett.

That said, I like your movie idea. I'm sure we could lobby for a pillow talk scene with Corbett in bed with Ganim. :D
Yep.

Nothing obfuscates the real issues - nor protects the malfeasant - any more effectively than when the "populous" is deluded into lining up on either side of the "R" vs "D" debate.,....... rather than the "corrupt" vs "righteous" debate.

Shapiro has certainly fooled many of us, and proven to be another worthless cog in the corruption wheel

Ray, did Rodney's notes mention anything about 1998?

The notes alluded to the 1998 investigation involving Schreffler and Harmon - and that Harmon lived on the same street as Sandusky. My interpretation of the notes was that Erickson, et al, were at that point (January 2012) still trying to ascertain if JVP had any knowledge of the 1998 investigation.

Not if the actors look anything like their real life counterparts!o_O

Time for everyone to move on despite the inflicted wounds.

Jay can now focus in his new position in what is best for the University going forward.

Reactions: jerseylion109
The NCAA isn't subtle...

Paterno Family Abandons All Claims Against NCAA
June 30, 2017 4:34pm
The estate of the late Penn State football coach Joe Paterno, his son Jay Paterno, and Bill Kenney today voluntarily dismissed their lawsuit against the NCAA. The NCAA did not settle the case and provided plaintiffs with no consideration—financial or otherwise.

“The Paterno family characterized this case as a ‘search for the truth,’” said Donald Remy, NCAA chief legal officer. “Its decision today, after years of investigation and discovery, to abandon its lawsuit rather than subject those facts to courtroom examination is telling. We believe that the powerful record developed during discovery overwhelmingly confirmed what the NCAA has believed all along: the NCAA acted reasonably in adopting the conclusions of an eight-month investigation by Louis Freeh.”

Remy noted the timing of today’s decision by the Paterno family to voluntarily abandon its lawsuit was only hours before the NCAA was due to file a roughly 100-page summary judgment brief detailing the results of years of exhaustive discovery regarding plaintiffs’ claims. He added the decision “represents a total victory for the NCAA.”

“It is disappointing that so much time, effort, and financial resources have been wasted on efforts by the Paterno family in this litigation,” said Remy. “We must not lose sight of the fact that the real victims are the dozens of innocent children abused by Jerry Sandusky. ”

I know this because there is absolutely no reason why to dismiss this lawsuit unless they were nervous about what was about to come out. Go ahead and try to spin this

The NCAA isn't subtle...

Paterno Family Abandons All Claims Against NCAA
June 30, 2017 4:34pm
The estate of the late Penn State football coach Joe Paterno, his son Jay Paterno, and Bill Kenney today voluntarily dismissed their lawsuit against the NCAA. The NCAA did not settle the case and provided plaintiffs with no consideration—financial or otherwise.

“The Paterno family characterized this case as a ‘search for the truth,’” said Donald Remy, NCAA chief legal officer. “Its decision today, after years of investigation and discovery, to abandon its lawsuit rather than subject those facts to courtroom examination is telling. We believe that the powerful record developed during discovery overwhelmingly confirmed what the NCAA has believed all along: the NCAA acted reasonably in adopting the conclusions of an eight-month investigation by Louis Freeh.”

Remy noted the timing of today’s decision by the Paterno family to voluntarily abandon its lawsuit was only hours before the NCAA was due to file a roughly 100-page summary judgment brief detailing the results of years of exhaustive discovery regarding plaintiffs’ claims. He added the decision “represents a total victory for the NCAA.”

“It is disappointing that so much time, effort, and financial resources have been wasted on efforts by the Paterno family in this litigation,” said Remy. “We must not lose sight of the fact that the real victims are the dozens of innocent children abused by Jerry Sandusky. ”
kind of the knock out blow, isn't it?

tenor.gif

I know this because there is absolutely no reason why to dismiss this lawsuit unless they were nervous about what was about to come out. Go ahead and try to spin this

Whether that is the case or not, that is now the "officially" perceived reason they dropped it. Not a good look at all. The NCAA is the winner here because it certainly looks as if there is some big reveal the family wanted to avoid, true or not. Either be confident in your convictions or don't bother at all. Same goes for C/S. It all made the situation worse than if they simply admitted to f'n up the situation 6 years ago.

Reactions: jerseylion109
If they were concerned with discovery they would have ended the suit long ago.

The likely reason is that the NCAA's strategy worked. They outlasted the Paternos with their deep pockets.

Reactions: WeR0206 and PSU65

The likely reason is that the NCAA's strategy worked. They outlasted the Paternos with their deep pockets.

I thought I read somewhere that Al Lord was footing the costs of this. Did he close the checkbook?

Last edited:

The NCAA once again succeeds in its primary mission: funneling television revenues to attorneys and/or useless administrators.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT