ADVERTISEMENT

Latest in Paterno v NCAA

I agree and like this. The challenge with CS&S is that they are near career end. While their reputations being restored is ideal, they may just take a payoff to get the charges dropped, a huge financial settlement and at the cost of a strict confidentiality clause. I don't think Sue cares much about the money so she, and the family, are more likely to hold out for the remedy you describe. But I'll just be happy to see the truth out there, whatever that may be.

I'm pretty sure that Spanier wants his reputation back and a pound of Freeh's flesh. I don't think that he's settling for $$$ and a confidentiality clause.

The whole thing was kabuki theatre. They'd made a deal to surrender to the NCAA long before any of that business in July 2012.

I believed then, and still believe, that Erickson, Peetz, and Frazier wanted to kill football.

I don't think that the timing of Peetz's "retirement" is a coincidence. I would not be surprised to find out that it's connected to something that's been uncovered in discovery.

I believed then, and still believe, that Erickson, Peetz, and Frazier wanted to kill football.
Keep in mind that these are the same people whose only point of contention with the NCAA's unprecedented sanctions on our football program was about their tickets. Seems to me they were counting on it surviving.

Keep in mind that these are the same people whose only point of contention with the NCAA's unprecedented sanctions on our football program was about their tickets. Seems to me they were counting on it surviving.

Meh. Probably inserted by Meyers and Lubert. But they weren't driving the bus in the spring of 2012.

Reactions: 91Joe95

I don't think that the timing of Peetz's "retirement" is a coincidence. I would not be surprised to find out that it's connected to something that's been uncovered in discovery.

I truly think she was the Judas behind the scenes. She was the hub on the wheel with spokes going out in every direction and coordinated much of this dumpster fire. She had aceess to all the information and people to coordinate this attack. Being retired she has to answer to no one and sit their and collect her money nice and safe.

I truly think she was the Judas behind the scenes. She was the hub on the wheel with spokes going out in every direction and coordinated much of this dumpster fire. She had aceess to all the information and people to coordinate this attack. Being retired she has to answer to no one and sit their and collect her money nice and safe.

Yeah. Let's not forget the whole "Let's turn Penn State into a Cornell" idea that she was supporting.
I think that BNY Mellon cut her loose because they know what's coming. We'll see....

Yeah. Let's not forget the whole "Let's turn Penn State into a Cornell" idea that she was supporting.
I think that BNY Mellon cut her loose because they know what's coming. We'll see....

At this point only people like Peetz and Frazier know what could possibly come to light as it's discovered. If it is damaging while they are still high up the corporate ladder and/or on Boards of company's, obviously could look very bad for them and any company they are affiliated with....

I'm pretty sure that Spanier wants his reputation back and a pound of Freeh's flesh. I don't think that he's settling for $$$ and a confidentiality clause.

Agree..don't disagree. However, I've been involved with a similar situation, albeit at a much MUCH lower level. Spanier probably realizes he will NEVER get his reputation back because 60 minutes and Frontline aren't going to reverse themselves on this issue and give him the time. He might go after the ability to get his voice out there, but is understanding nobody will be listening. So, a voice nobody is going to hear versus getting millions that he can pass along to his heirs will be the question. I suspect they are wearing him down as we type right now.

But I am the first to admit that this is 100% speculation on my part. If you are connected or know better, I am happy to yield to your better information.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zenophile
Peetz was an "accidental" BOT Chair.

She's an idiot......not a puppet master

Agree somewhat... You don't get to her positions by being a complete idiot. You have to have some knowledge and more importantly know how to play the political game. Which I think she is quite adept or she was used by a few power brokers and doesn't realize yet that she is going to end up being the fall guy when discovery unearth's some nuggets.

Agree somewhat... You don't get to her positions by being a complete idiot. You have to have some knowledge and more importantly know how to play the political game. Which I think she is quite adept or she was used by a few power brokers and doesn't realize yet that she is going to end up being the fall guy when discovery unearth's some nuggets.
Her professional career was spent as a "falling forward" box checker.

(Anyone know what degree she managed to carry with her when she slithered out of PSU?.....its been scrubbed from her bio, FWIW.
Individual and Family Studies. Yep. For folks who are not familiar, kinda' the "female equivalent" to the "Phys Ed" degrees for guys used to be)

When your "shining star" professional achievement is as a beneficiary of Corporate Welfare (the TARP program).....that ain't saying much

At PSU - she didn't even want to be Board Chair (well, OK....no way to know 100% what was going on inside her mind - thank God - but she certainly didn't petition to be the BOT Chair)
She HOPED to slide into the Vice Chair seat when no one was looking - or cared - but ended up being the "empty-suit dope in pearls" that the power brokers plopped in there so as to not have anyone muddy up the waters.

Last edited:
Agree..don't disagree. However, I've been involved with a similar situation, albeit at an much MUCH lower level. Spanier probably realizes he will NEVER get his reputation back because 60 minutes and Frontline isn't going to reverse themselves on this issue and give him the time. He might go after the ability to get his voice out there, but is understanding nobody will be listening. So, a voice nobody is going to hear versus getting millions that he can pass along to his heirs will be the question. I suspect they are wearing him down as we type right now.

But I am the first to admit that this is 100% speculation on my part. If you are connected or know better, I am happy to yield to your better information.

I can't say that I am connected or know better, but I think there will be some people that will be listening. The Penn State community certainly will be listening including the A9 and maybe even some other BOT members. I believe there is a reasonable chance that some members of the media might even be listening. I also wouldn't be shocked if some Pennsylvania politicians will be listening. There is also a chance that some members of the Pennsylvania judiciary will be listening, possibly even Judge Cleland. It may even be enough to move the needle slightly. I agree that most likely it will take a long time before there is any noticeable shift in public opinion. On the other hand, I have no doubt that eventually the false narratives will be debunked. IMO, it is only a matter of time.

IMHO Freeh appears to be the likelier of the fall guys. That's not to say that Ms. Peetz won't be credited for his work (even though he was hired in 11/2011 and she didn't become chair until 01/2012).

IMHO Freeh appears to be the likelier of the fall guys. That's not to say that Ms. Peetz won't be credited for his work (even though he was hired in 11/2011 and she didn't become chair until 01/2012).
I don't know how that hasn't been obvious since 2012.

I really don't

Why do people think they paid him $8,000,000+?
To a guy who is positioned in such a way that "being the fall guy" does nothing - NOTHING - to hurt him (in fact, probably enhances his future income potential / employability)

Do folks actually think he was hired for his investigatory expertise?

She and Baldwin. 2 peas from the same idiot pod.
Peetzie with some of our other incompetents.
images
images
images

And just for kicks....

images
images

Agree..don't disagree. However, I've been involved with a similar situation, albeit at a much MUCH lower level. Spanier probably realizes he will NEVER get his reputation back because 60 minutes and Frontline aren't going to reverse themselves on this issue and give him the time. He might go after the ability to get his voice out there, but is understanding nobody will be listening. So, a voice nobody is going to hear versus getting millions that he can pass along to his heirs will be the question. I suspect they are wearing him down as we type right now.

It all depends on what Penn State, Freeh, and the NCAA have been working so hard to keep concealed.
In my opinion (no I don't have any special inside information) they are working very hard to keep something very damaging concealed.
If there is information showing that people like Freeh, Emmert, and Frazier conspired to scapegoat Paterno, I do think that it would attract considerable media attention, as they are all well-known national figures and there are plenty of journalists who would be happy to bag those elephants. We'll see....

I certainly think that those individuals (+ Surma) wanted to pound the program back to the Stone Age. They wanted a complete re-build that would eliminate anything that carried JVP's fingerprints. The NCAA tried to carry out their mission. But, then these geniuses realized that they needed the revenue that football produces, and the impact football has on its ongoing operations. These folks were so hell-bent on eradicating Joe Paterno from everything that none of them stopped to think what the downside would be.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and Aoshiro
Do folks actually think he was hired for his investigatory expertise?
Ummmmm... yes. I'd say 90%+ of the people in this country who heard about it think exactly that. Remember, part of the narrative is the "FBI guy" investigated it and blamed Paterno and the administrators.

Reactions: bwifan
It's amazing just how bold and obviously straying from the rulebook emmert was in 2012 with regards to Penn State. When asked if other schools might suffer a similar fate, emmert seriously said that he saw Penn State as a unique situation and never expected to deal with another school in the same way. In other words, "I don't expect to throw out the ncaa guidelines and arbitrarily impose any penalty in any way I see fit again. Penn State was treated differently because I felt like treating them differently."

Correction - Penn State was treated differently because they let me( Mark Emmert) treat them differently.

Ummmmm... yes. I'd say 90%+ of the people in this country who heard about it think exactly that. Remember, part of the narrative is the "FBI guy" investigated it and blamed Paterno and the administrators.
Let me clarify:

Do INTELLIGENT folks - who have been paying attention - actually think he was hired for his investigatory expertise?

LOL

Obviously - I wasn't targeting your demographic.

I certainly think that those individuals (+ Surma) wanted to pound the program back to the Stone Age. They wanted a complete re-build that would eliminate anything that carried JVP's fingerprints. The NCAA tried to carry out their mission. But, then these geniuses realized that they needed the revenue that football produces, and the impact football has on its ongoing operations. These folks were so hell-bent on eradicating Joe Paterno from everything that none of them stopped to think what the downside would be.
I think they completely misjudged the NCAA, the alumni, and the sports media, and then couldn't walk back what they started. I think they thought they could blame C/S/S and get rid of them, then they could blame Joe as the shiny bauble to distract attention, and get rid of him, and then they would be showing leadership. Then they would bring in a coach they could "control" to keep the gravy train going but on their terms. I don't think they expected the sanctions nor the everyone at Penn State cares more about football then children narrative nor the refusal among alumni to move on and buy into the narrative.

Let me clarify:

Do INTELLIGENT folks - who have been paying attention - actually think he was hired for his investigatory expertise?

LOL

Obviously - I wasn't targeting your demographic.
Well, as this election is proving, this country is overrun by people not in that demographic. And they're the ones that need the convincing.

I think they completely misjudged the NCAA, the alumni, and the sports media, and then couldn't walk back what they started. I think they thought they could blame C/S/S and get rid of them, then they could blame Joe as the shiny bauble to distract attention, and get rid of him, and then they would be showing leadership. Then they would bring in a coach they could "control" to keep the gravy train going but on their terms. I don't think they expected the sanctions nor the everyone at Penn State cares more about football then children narrative nor the refusal among alumni to move on and buy into the narrative.

Sort of. I think there was a split in the board, and the people who were actually driving things in the spring/summer of 2012 (Erickson, Peetz, Frazier, Corbett with a big assist from Poole) wanted to kill football. At the same time, I think that other powerful board members like Lubert and Myers were not part of that and were very unhappy about the severity of the sanctions. But they were cowards and unwilling to break ranks.

I like that sentiment.......but I'd wager the mortgage money that no one's (relatively speaking) minds would change at all (whether one considers that important or not)

All it would convey to the public (or all the "public" would consume) is that a bunch of pretentious a-holes at the NCAA overstepped their bounds
Which does.....squat? (Anyone who even casually follows college sports already knows what a pack of bloviating hypocrites the NCAA is.......those who don't, they are no longer even tunes in - and haven't been for some time)

The entire "guilt/innocence" thing?
The NCAA is the wrong defendant, if one is trying to move THAT needle
Not sure I agree. Those of us who have followed this closely know who the villains are [old BOT, and 2nd mile], but for Joe 6 pack in Iowa they can't understand or believe how a BOT would conspire to throw it's president, legendary coach and AD under the bus. They think Freeh did an unbiased report and the NCAA levied sanctions. So if the NCAA and or Freeh are repudiated I think that helps. Ultimately the real bad guys get way but I am afraid that ship has sailed.

It all depends on what Penn State, Freeh, and the NCAA have been working so hard to keep concealed.
In my opinion (no I don't have any special inside information) they are working very hard to keep something very damaging concealed.
If there is information showing that people like Freeh, Emmert, and Frazier conspired to scapegoat Paterno, I do think that it would attract considerable media attention, as they are all well-known national figures and there are plenty of journalists who would be happy to bag those elephants. We'll see....
I don't believe the notion that there is some smoking gun locked away, hidden. It's too difficult to keep a secret when several parties know about it. Especially when they are getting subpoenaed. It was more like a bonfire of the vanities where everyone had their own personal agendas coming together at the right time to create a snowball effect, perfect storm. There might be some of these agendas exposed, but I doubt there is a smoking gun.

Let's not sell our cabal short here. Agencies were apparently lining up to send investigators to University Park in November of 2011, and they managed to successfully avoid being investigated by any of them. And all it took was agreeing to allow the football program to be thrown under the bus by an "independent investigator", whom they got to select. Problem contained.

Last edited:
Not sure I agree. Those of us who have followed this closely know who the villains are [old BOT, and 2nd mile], but for Joe 6 pack in Iowa they can't understand or believe how a BOT would conspire to throw it's president, legendary coach and AD under the bus. They think Freeh did an unbiased report and the NCAA levied sanctions. So if the NCAA and or Freeh are repudiated I think that helps. Ultimately the real bad guys get way but I am afraid that ship has sailed.
What you say is absolutely true........aside from the fact that 99%+ of the folks out there who are ignorant don't even care anymore, not even a little bit - - or can be MADE to care, at this point

We blew that opportunity a LONG time ago - - - largely by:

Barking too much up the wrong trees

Failing to take care of our responsibilities (largely the A9, and the folks responsible for electing them)

And

Trying to "cure every cancer known to man" (CSA, Corrupt Judiciary, Dishonest Politicians, etc etc) - instead of taking care of the issues at hand, first and foremost

Alas

If we can get past all of the squandered opportunities of the last 5 years - and learn from them - then maybe moving forward we can bring about positive change on the most important, direct, and controllable issues

Last edited:
Reactions: nits74
I don't believe the notion that there is some smoking gun locked away, hidden. It's too difficult to keep a secret when several parties know about it. Especially when they are getting subpoenaed. It was more like a bonfire of the vanities where everyone had their own personal agendas coming together at the right time to create a snowball effect, perfect storm. There might be some of these agendas exposed, but I doubt there is a smoking gun.

Then why fight so hard to prevent the university's OWN TRUSTEES from seeing Freeh's files?

Don'tr forget the main scum bag Corbutt!

Sitting at 772k views on this mother of all threads. Date it hits the magical one million mark?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT