ADVERTISEMENT

Last Olympic Qualifier - Turkey

Not according to Dlagnev on twitter or lu_alum on themat. They seemed to indicate that losing to the winner has some significance in this dq case. Don't know if that is true though. Freestyle is funny like that.

This is correct. If you notice, even though medals are not awarded, placements are at significant international events (they may be at ALL international events, not that I've noticed), e.g. Mark Hall finishing 9th at JR worlds last year, etc, etc. It does have to do with who you lost to. So, Frank WOULD be considered "3rd" by the UWW ranking system. Of course, they can always take the next qualifier out of Euros (which is where the guy that was DQ'd qualified out of) and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they did. In fact, since they allowed the DQ'd countries into the final qualifiers, I would think that this is the most likely scenario.

Of course, they can always take the next qualifier out of Euros (which is where the guy that was DQ'd qualified out of) and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they did. In fact, since they allowed the DQ'd countries into the final qualifiers, I would think that this is the most likely scenario.

Someone at this Olympics board goes down the particular rabbit hole you identified and suggested that b/c Ukraine's DQ at the Euros would instead provide Georgia with a spot, but Georgia then qualified in Mongolia. And because the odd-man out at Mongolia was Bulgaria's Novachkov, who then qualified at Turkey, the committee should look at the odd-man out at Turkey, who would be Frank (also assuming you're willing to credit his bronze medal ahead of the co-bronze medalist because Frank lost to the eventual winner).

The rules governing this alleged process are wordy enough but far from clear [PDF here, pages 3-4], at least to me or anyone with actual expertise (that definitely isn't me) I've seen commenting, including Immel and Foley, so who knows. Like everything else involving the IOC, it's probably just confusing enough to deliver a corrupt outcome so long as there's an otherwise vaguely plausible appearance (and sometimes not even that).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT