ADVERTISEMENT

Last Olympic Qualifier - Turkey

This appears to be a better feed:
http://livestream.com/
unitedworldwrestling

(Sorry, had to separate the entire URL, otherwise BWI keeps trying unsuccessfully to embed the video.)

Video only, still have to UWW website to get mat assignments and the like.

Thanks. How far out does he have to be....his feet were out. Was Frank ahead on criteria, so it was a Hail Mary by Japan, I guess
I don't think a push out can be awarded when the action is on the mat....only on their feet. With Frank being on his knees, there was no push out. I may be wrong though.

My feed was going in an out too. When it was 6-6, Frank looked like he assumed he had criteria so I assume his last TD took his opponent directly from his feet to his back and he got 4. Didn't see it, though, as my feed broke up and when it came back he was up 6-4 (after being down 4-2) and was fighting to stop a reversal.

The challenge appeared to be looking at whether there was a push out at the end by the Japanese wrestler but the replay showed there was not. It was close but Frank was in bounds. Not sure where the final point for Frank came from but given above I assume he would have won on criteria anyway.

Anybody else have a better feed than I?

Mine 'net also crashed on the 4pt takedown by Frank but I figured that's what happened. Resultingly, Frank had the criteria at 6-6. The challenge was a hail mary that failed. Thus, a pt for Frank for failed challenge - 7-6.

I don't think a push out can be awarded when the action is on the mat....only on their feet. With Frank being on his knees, there was no push out. I may be wrong though.
You can be driven out on your knee(s) and give up the point

You can be driven out on your knee(s) and give up the point
I stand corrected. I'm new to the freestyle game. Lol. I was trying to interpret it from the rule book. The way I read it, only one foot needed to be out. To me, clearly Frank's foot was out. But in the rule book it says it needs to be done from standing position. So I don't know...

Last edited:
Frank beat Borislav at least once before in 2013 at nyac event.

USA wrestling thinks he beat him one other time in freestyle but doesn't remember event.

History on our side....hopefully

Frank beat Borislav at least once before in 2013 at nyac event.

USA wrestling thinks he beat him one other time in freestyle but doesn't remember event.

History on our side....hopefully
What mat is Frank coming up on ? Will he wrestle soon ?

Well that was disappointing. Win OTTs but still not get to go :oops:

Regardless, a nice run by Molinaro, defeated a lot of quality guys over the past month. Penn State nation still proud Tank!

Well that was disappointing. Win OTTs but still not get to go :oops:

Regardless, a nice run by Molinaro, defeated a lot of quality guys over the past month. Penn State nation still proud Tank!
Yes Sir....Great job by Frank...Only fell 2 wins away. Guy never had any freestyle experience wrestling guys who have been doing it all their lives. I am very proud of him !!!! Super glad he is a Coach in our room that wrestles with our guys everyday....He is one of the main reasons why Zain is on another level now....

Great effort. Sad for the USA and especially Tank. He has much to be proud of, and we have several very solid guys representing us. Hopefully he can use what he has learned to help Zain in his quests down the road.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Do they still give out wild cards and any chance Frank gets one?
Frank is still in the hunt for bronze. Has two more matches to claim 3rd. I would think if they hand out any wild cards, the 3rd place finisher at the last tourney would get an invite. So let's keep rooting for Frank.

Complete BS that w a trip to the Olympics on the line that a true 2nd isn't determined. Yes I know the the guy Inj defaulted in final.

Reactions: letsgohawks44
Frank is a true champion, regardless of what happens from here on out.

With that said, is there still a shot at a wild card? How does the process work?

I "think" Frank just won bronze 5-2. Now we just have to wait and see if he gets an invite.

Looks like there are 2 bronze matches - do BOTH Habat and Frank declare they won a bronze? It does not show a match to settle a sole bronze title. Well Frank lost to the eventual champ at the wrong time. Too bad. I hope he gets one of the wild cards from the Olympic Committee.

Looks like there are 2 bronze matches - do BOTH Habat and Frank declare they won a bronze? It does not show a match to settle a sole bronze title. Well Frank lost to the eventual champ at the wrong time. Too bad. I hope he gets one of the wild cards from the Olympic Committee.

International events always award 2 bronze medals. Not sure what wild cards you are talking about. There is no such thing as far as I know for the Olympics. I believe Brazil, as the host country can add some wrestlers, but those will almost certainly be Brazilians.

International events always award 2 bronze medals. Not sure what wild cards you are talking about. There is no such thing as far as I know for the Olympics. I believe Brazil, as the host country can add some wrestlers, but those will almost certainly be Brazilians.
https://www.rio2016.com/sites/default/files/users/rio2016_files/uww-wrestling-en.pdf

see bottom of page 3 and all of page 4. Doesn't mean you are wrong, but the way I parse the words, you may be wrong.

Any unallocated slots are awarded on 18 July.

Brazil was guaranteed four spots and there are four more spots for the commission to assign. However, since Brazil has qualified five wrestlers via the qualification tourneys, the commission gets all eight spots to give out across Free, Greco & Women's.

... and given the mess the commission has coming up with regard to the Ukrainian DQ at 65kg, this may allow them to give both Greece and the USA the opportunity to wrestle in Rio without having to make the hard either/or choice.

Reactions: tikk10
It's an international athletics event. Getting Frank a wild card will strain the NLWC's checkbook. Correction, will strain Ira Lubert's and Terry Pegula's checkbooks.
I'll admit, I'm completely ignorant when it comes to the sport outside of folk style. I'm just now starting to become a fan of freestyle. Anyway, your post, could you please explain to me what you meant? Are you saying that money talks when allocating spots? I seem to recall reading about corruption and the sorts within the Olympic committee in the past so is that what you were meaning by your post?

I'll admit, I'm completely ignorant when it comes to the sport outside of folk style. I'm just now starting to become a fan of freestyle. Anyway, your post, could you please explain to me what you meant? Are you saying that money talks when allocating spots? I seem to recall reading about corruption and the sorts within the Olympic committee in the past so is that what you were meaning by your post?
FIFA and the IOC may not have invented corruption, but they have turned it into an art form.

Call me crazy, but Frank has a 50/50 shot. There are 18 people that finished 3rd in Turkey, so in my eyes, they are next in line for the 8 commission selections. Frank also has a chance to get in via the Ukraine dq. So I count 9 chances to get in with 18 weights. Believe me, not confident in this, but Frank may still have more cat lives left.

Remember that Congressman who got caught with a couple hundred thousand of Hurricane Katrina relief funds stashed in his freezer? Rank amateur compared to international officials in any sport. Both in terms of size and discretion.

Checks are unlikely. More likely is some cushy, high-paying, high-profile, no-work jobs for relatives of other officials, who then repay that favor.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Could the Ukrainian doper get frank to Rio?

Fingers crossed.

pretty sure bronze is bronze.
Not according to Dlagnev on twitter or lu_alum on themat. They seemed to indicate that losing to the winner has some significance in this dq case. Don't know if that is true though. Freestyle is funny like that.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT