ADVERTISEMENT

Last Olympic Qualifier - Turkey

mrh1645

Feb 11, 2014
2nd (and last) Olympic Qualifier is being held in Istanbul this weekend. Top 2 qualify and I believe there is no true 2nd match, so Molinaro has to make the finals. There are 37 nations registered. Below are some names to watch.

Devid SAFARYAN (ARM) - ranked 17th at 65kg by UWW, former World Champ

Azamat NURYKAU (BLR) - ranked 6th at 70kg by UWW

Borislav Stefanov NOVACHKOV (BUL)

Haislan Antonio VERANES GARCIA (CAN)

Yuhi FUJINAMI (JPN) - 2015 Junior Worlds 2nd
or
Masakazu KAMOI (JPN) - 2015 Senior Worlds 5th at 61kg

George BUCUR (ROM) - 2015 Senior Worlds 8th at 65kg

Looks like a tough road to hoe, but then again, there usually aren't any easy paths when wrestling internationally. Best of luck to Frank this weekend, hope he can qualify the weight for the US!

Reactions: burnsie1983
Educate me on international freestyle....what is a "true second match?"
Not an international concept ... post-finals match between the 2 vs. 3 to see who the "true 2nd" is. Only when the 3 got bounced to consis by the eventual champ.

The one was winning 5-0 and got caught w headlock and gave up the fall. A minute from end of 1St pd and her dream dashed in a second. Sport is brutal.

Last edited:
Frank can beat that guy. As mentioned, he doesn't seem to be anywhere near his world championship form. Every match Frank has will be a battle.

Frank wins 7-6!

Something happened at the very end of the match -- video buffered on me, so I missed it. Score was 6-6 with 2 sec left. Japanese guy looked completely bewildered when Frank got his hand raised.

Reactions: jschrantz and SRATH
way to go Frank!! Into the quarters with a 7-6 win!! Tough match. Thought he was going to lose until the final minute.

Somebody want to explain that?? Great for Frank but I am lost

Shock the internet frank!
He can score when he wants.

Borislav has brain cramps against americans. Doubt he will be able to stop Frank's single or match his strength.

8 matches till frank is on again.

Frank wins 7-6!

Something happened at the very end of the match -- video buffered on me, so I missed it. Score was 6-6 with 2 sec left. Japanese guy looked completely bewildered when Frank got his hand raised.

I think the Japanese guy wanted the push out. Rightfully didn't get it. Frank won on criteria (I believe). He keeps getting jobbed on the passivity calls. Has to work on the presentation of his defense. Also, never get rolled. That really hurt him.

Japan though they had a push out with a couple seconds left however Frank went to his knees and defended very well on the edge. Review was lost and Frank picked up an extra point for 7-6 win.

Frank wins 7-6!

Looked like Frank was getting pushed out at the end and Japan challenged.......somehow Frank gets a point and wins. Crazy

Japan though they had a push out with a couple seconds left however Frank went to his knees and defended very well on the edge. Review was lost and Frank picked up an extra point for 7-6 win.
Thanks. How far out does he have to be....his feet were out. Was Frank ahead on criteria, so it was a Hail Mary by Japan, I guess

My feed was going in an out too. When it was 6-6, Frank looked like he assumed he had criteria so I assume his last TD took his opponent directly from his feet to his back and he got 4. Didn't see it, though, as my feed broke up and when it came back he was up 6-4 (after being down 4-2) and was fighting to stop a reversal.

The challenge appeared to be looking at whether there was a push out at the end by the Japanese wrestler but the replay showed there was not. It was close but Frank was in bounds. Not sure where the final point for Frank came from but given above I assume he would have won on criteria anyway.

Anybody else have a better feed than I?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT