ADVERTISEMENT

Lamar basically confirmed back for next season

psuguy43

Sep 28, 2002
He did not receive a combine or G-league invite (does not surprise me, a player his size needs to be a much more effective 3 pt shooter to make the NBA... something for him to fix this coming season).

So, a Lamar/Watkins 4/5 may be one of the better duos in the Big Ten next season. IF Lamar is able to improve his 3 pt shot, next season could be pretty exciting.

Nice. My source (every mock draft on the internet that never listed him) was right.
LOL, yes, it was always known that he wasn't really entering the draft... but just for those who were being extra cautious (there were a few on here that thought that he was gone)

Yes.... finally a b-ball season to get excited about!
Stevens, Watkins, Wheeler, Dread, and Gundy. Backed up by Brockington, Harrar, MJones, McCloskey, Buttrick, and The White Russian Kasatkin....

Stevens, Watkins, Wheeler, Dread, and Gundy. Backed up by Brockington, Harrar, MJones, McCloskey, Buttrick, and The White Russian Kasatkin....

As someone who thought 3 years ago should have been Chambers' last year, and 2 years ago was the absolute last straw, you'll have to excuse my ignorance ... who is "Gundy" in our starting 5?

LOL, yes, it was always known that he wasn't really entering the draft... but just for those who were being extra cautious (there were a few on here that thought that he was gone)
I thought he was gone. Money is a very tempting incentive. I’d still like to hear it from him.

Wake me up when they get 20 wins and play a schedule that is in the 25 toughest.
They are better, but Calvin Booth, Danny Earl, Pete Lisicky, and Glenn Sekunda, of the late 90s, were better than this. Hard to think about that.
I believe I understand why Bruce Parkhill, the coach, before the Dunn disaster left, but found it fascinating that ( I believe ) he stayed in the State College area. Why and what did he do over the last 20+ years? My impression is that he could coach.

Still waiting for the release of coach Chambers reported 10 year plan. I will be glad to pay $ 100 for a legit copy.

The NIT better watch out.

Ladies and Gentlemen, your 2019-2020 PSU Men's Basketball Team ...

Last edited:
Yes Lundy... my bad but that is a pretty talented starting 5 if big Mike is back to 17/18 pre injury form.

Definitely. Assuming no major injuries or absences, should be an ncaa tournament team. While this is exciting and I think it will finally happen, if they don’t bring in a few impact recruits/transfers in 2020, that season could be a dumpster fire.

Wake me up when they get 20 wins and play a schedule that is in the 25 toughest.
They are better, but Calvin Booth, Danny Earl, Pete Lisicky, and Glenn Sekunda, of the late 90s, were better than this. Hard to think about that.
I believe I understand why Bruce Parkhill, the coach, before the Dunn disaster left, but found it fascinating that ( I believe ) he stayed in the State College area. Why and what did he do over the last 20+ years? My impression is that he could coach.

Still waiting for the release of coach Chambers reported 10 year plan. I will be glad to pay $ 100 for a legit copy.

College girls is the answer to both why and what

He did not receive a combine or G-league invite (does not surprise me, a player his size needs to be a much more effective 3 pt shooter to make the NBA... something for him to fix this coming season).

So, a Lamar/Watkins 4/5 may be one of the better duos in the Big Ten next season. IF Lamar is able to improve his 3 pt shot, next season could be pretty exciting.
We don't need Lamar shooting 3 pointers. He can make the LEAGUE being Lamar, not Stephen Curry.

Could be an OK team, but last year's team should have been good too.
I disagree.
We had THREE non-scoring sophs (Harrar/Wheeler/Buttrick) and THREE true frosh (Dread/Bolton/Jones) playing "major" minutes. We had Watkins playing half of every game he was in, if that. That left us with 2 pretty good players: Stevens and Reaves.
This years team played as good as they could have. Think about it.

Definitely. Assuming no major injuries or absences, should be an ncaa tournament team. While this is exciting and I think it will finally happen, if they don’t bring in a few impact recruits/transfers in 2020, that season could be a dumpster fire.
Yeah I think 2027 is going to be the ultimate dumpster fire!:rolleyes:

Yes Lundy... my bad but that is a pretty talented starting 5 if big Mike is back to 17/18 pre injury form.
Yes it's probably the 9th or 10th best starting lineup in Big 10

I disagree.
We had THREE non-scoring sophs (Harrar/Wheeler/Buttrick) and THREE true frosh (Dread/Bolton/Jones) playing "major" minutes. We had Watkins playing half of every game he was in, if that. That left us with 2 pretty good players: Stevens and Reaves.
This years team played as good as they could have. Think about it.

Well then we just agree to disagree. They should have been a good team, and showed what they could actually do in February (when it was already too late).

It's on the coach. Watkins went backwards from the prior year and and Harrar went backwards from the way he was playing in the NIT. Watkins has never had the stamina to play a lot of minutes, but he was just a non-factor this past season.

I don't even want to get started on the 2017 team and how far they could have gone.

Pat has achieved less than Ed DeChellis. And he's achieved far less than Jerry Dunn. Pat's recruiting is probably 5x-10x better than what either of those guys were doing, but he is somehow doing less with it. So coaching is a huge problem

Reactions: 4INSBU
We don't need Lamar shooting 3 pointers. He can make the LEAGUE being Lamar, not Stephen Curry.
Disagreed. The mid-range game is yesteryear. Show me a 6'6-6'7 guy that has athleticism and quickness faults similiar to his, who is in the league right now and cannot consistently make a 3.

Please and thank you

Last edited:
Reactions: LionJim
Disagreed. The mid-range game is yesteryear. Show me a 6'6-6'7 guy that has athleticism and quickness faults similiar to his, who is in the league right now and cannot consistently make a 3.

Please and thank you
I think Lamar’s closer to 6’8” or 6’9” than 6’6”. If he makes a living in the NBA, IMO it’s as a big, rebounding wing with the flexibility to hold up inside in a pinch. He has a nice enough looking stroke and a good enough jumper from middle distance that there’s no reason why he shouldn’t be able to be more consistent hitting threes, but that’s really the only hole in his game.

I think Lamar’s closer to 6’8” or 6’9” than 6’6”. If he makes a living in the NBA, IMO it’s as a big, rebounding wing with the flexibility to hold up inside in a pinch. He has a nice enough looking stroke and a good enough jumper from middle distance that there’s no reason why he shouldn’t be able to be more consistent hitting threes, but that’s really the only hole in his game.

He is closer to 6’4” than 6’9”

A little off topic but PSU will be playing in the Charleston classic in 2020 along with Seton Hall, Florida St, VCU, Houston, Tennessee, Oklahoma State, and Charleston.
It would be nice if Pat could snag 1 of the 800 sit out transfers this year to help offset the loss of Stevens and keep the team competitive in 2020.

A little off topic but PSU will be playing in the Charleston classic in 2020 along with Seton Hall, Florida St, VCU, Houston, Tennessee, Oklahoma State, and Charleston.
It would be nice if Pat could snag 1 of the 800 sit out transfers this year to help offset the loss of Stevens and keep the team competitive in 2020.
Good luck convincing a kid to come to Penn State and sit out 2019-2020 when everyone on the planet knows that Chambers is out with a subpar season. The kid would be betting his future on the team having a good year with no ability to meaningfully impact their results on the court.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT