ADVERTISEMENT

Kolat on the GOAT in HS Wrestling

matter7172

Nov 14, 2012
https://www.kolat.com/blog/the-goat-of-high-school-wrestling

It's kind of incredible for Jimmy Carr to make the Olympic team in 1972 between his sophomore and junior years of high - not to mention being on the World team in 1971 and winning Midlands during his junior year of high school.

It just adds flavor to the greatest high school match I ever witnessed - between Jimmy Carr and Larry Kepp of Central Dauphin East in 1973 for the PA title at the Farm Show Arena, which Carr barely held on to win by a single point.

Sad to think both died well before their time. The video in Kolat's blog is amazing, btw.

Last edited:
https://www.kolat.com/blog/the-goat-of-high-school-wrestling

It's kind of incredible for Jimmy Carr to make the Olympic team in 1972 between his sophomore and junior years of high - not to mention being on the World team in 1971 and winning Midlands during his junior year of high school.

It just adds flavor to the greatest high school match I ever witnessed - between Jimmy Carr and Larry Kepp of Central Dauphin East in 1973 for the PA title at the Farm Show Arena, which Carr barely held on to win by a single point.

Sad to think both died well before their time. The video in Kolat's blog is amazing, btw.
Two points, but who's counting (8-6 at 119 lbs) :).

I was a high school JR in 1973, so looked at the brackets, checking the names to see how many I remembered. A handful was it.

I was a high school JR in 1973, so looked at the brackets, checking the names to see how many I remembered. A handful was it.

Ah, you are correct. A takedown or stalling call would have tied it (because Carr had already been hit three times).

I missed the PA state finals that year. At the same time that match was being wrestled, I was working on a kibbutz in Israel where I managed to somehow elude a terrorist booby trap. (no BS, true story)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT