ADVERTISEMENT

What are you looking forward to the most in the upcoming wrestling season?

For me it starts with seeing Carter again. I think we are blessed to see someone with that much drive and talent. He only gets better each day. Brooks continuing his demolition of the weight class. He's too savvy to lose more than once to anyone. Thirdly, SVN. The kid has all the talent in the world. Finally Howard. The kid is a ****ing tough son of a bitch. I want him to have sustained success.

Some from an Iowa fan perspective:

1) Spencer's road to his 4th
2) Battle between Teske and Schriever for the 133 spot
3) Hopefully Murin can get over his QF hump at nationals and finally place
4) Whoever emerges to earn the 157 spot, and if they can qualify for nationals
5) PK being unleashed in a brutal 165 class
5b) hell, just 165 in general all year long
6) Seeing if Cass can finally figure out Parris while also still having Kerk's number

6) Seeing if Cass can finally figure out Parris while also still having Kerk's number
you forgot 3 place in team!!

Reactions: PAgeologist
The Office Boom GIF

I’m looking forward to seeing how much BB has developed over the offseason. He’s proven he’s a helluva defensive wrestler, but maybe with a move down to 141 he’ll be more inclined to let it fly and use his scoring ability to widen the gap between himself and the middle of the pack guys. Also looking forward to maybe seeing Levi mid season (assuming 157 remains a black hole post Nolf).

Brands doing the rocking shoe thing when rby starts messing with Spencer
TnT are never, ever letting Gimpy McGimperson on a mat with RBY.

A four timer is the only thing they’ll have over Cael and Casey (and only for a year) and they aren’t going to risk that by putting him out there against a likely three timer who will do some far ankle stuff Spencer’s knees won’t like.

I’m anxious to see if our 4 champs can repeat.

If they can, during Cael’s tenure, he’d have four 2-time champions, with Dean joining DT, Cenzo, and Lee. He’d also have an amazing seven 3-time champions with RBY, CStar, and AB joining Ruth, Zain, Nolf, and Bo. Wow!

1. I previously stated I think Bartlett will be much improved at 141. Not just physically but because we often see our wrestlers make jumps from year 2 to 3 in the room and it's a more open class. I don't think he'll be the world beater some originally predicted simply by moving down but I saw plenty of reasons to be optimistic during free style season. Very open weight class so him getting points is a must.

2. Shayne Van Ness ... talent is there, we don't have many results to see (only wrestled 2 matches then didn't wrestle free) but hearing good things about his health and development ....

3. Facundo ... I believe he's developed a ton offensively to be honest but we haven't totally got a chance to see it yet. He wrestled guys in the US that he could cruise to wins over then immediately draws an Iranian stud at Worlds and was pretty overwhelmed by his underhooks. But anyone who has gotten as much attention from Casey this summer as he did and with his work ethic has definitely developed. Weight class will be brutal but I'm excited to see Alex compete.

4. Haines actually has shown the most out of our potential young pups. As a high school senior, he was on his way to majoring Cerniglia, a Top 20 guy. He was only challenged once seemingly in his matches, against Gallagher and he found a way to break him with his gas tank. I can see him being similar to freshman Zain/Nick Lee.

Last edited:
Iowa IMO is solidly ahead of Arizona State at 2 now. Woods addition was pretty big because it gives them a likely finalist. Obviously big part of it is how Spencer recovers from his surgery but he would easily win 125 even if he's hobbled after multiple knee surgeries since he's that good.

ASU has a deep team but a lot more volatile IMO. They have three sure thing AAs (Courtney, McGee, Schultz) and none of them are guaranteed upper AAs even except Schultz.

I understand Max has been drilling with Marinelli working on the getting over the QF hump.
Cass probably isn't beating Parris any time soon and I do think Kerk will be Cass's superior this year. Of course I am still convinced Taylor will beat Dake next time.

I am really looking forward to the upcoming wrestling season. In particular, I am excited to see how our new starters do this year. What are you looking forward to the most?
BB - does he show elite talent at 141?
SVN - how far can he go?
AB - does anyone come even close before Friday night at Nats?
A four timer? Got one in the hopper?

VanNess and Facundo for me. I think a lot are still down on Facundo but I see him being another PSU great. This will be a tough season with the depth at 165 but I think he AA’s and is in title contention the following year. VanNess should show why he was a top recruit and excite everyone with his his pace and ability to score. At 149 he should really be a player if he can tighten up his defense a bit while still staying extremely offensive. I’m really excited to watch them both

Iowa IMO is solidly ahead of Arizona State at 2 now. Woods addition was pretty big because it gives them a likely finalist. Obviously big part of it is how Spencer recovers from his surgery but he would easily win 125 even if he's hobbled after multiple knee surgeries since he's that good.

ASU has a deep team but a lot more volatile IMO. They have three sure thing AAs (Courtney, McGee, Schultz) and none of them are guaranteed upper AAs even except Schultz.
ASU also has Teemer which is a pretty sure AA and Parco who is a 2 time AA

The whole season experience! There is nothing better than the anticipation associated with each dual, each tournament, and the anticipation of running the table at the National Tournament. Can't wait!

Reactions: baccafarmer

If they can, during Cael’s tenure, he’d have four 2-time champions, with Dean joining DT, Cenzo, and Lee. He’d also have an amazing seven 3-time champions with RBY, CStar, and AB joining Ruth, Zain, Nolf, and Bo. Wow!
Those numbers are just staggering! It is really hard to put into perspective what Cael, Casey and Cody have accomplished since they arrived. They work so well together with no hint of ego. I think some of the biggest factors for their success is being able to consistently get their wrestlers to buy into the "system" along with recruiting wrestlers of high character who do the right things in and out of season.

Despite having some really talented wrestlers over the years, Penn State had no 3-time champs prior to Sanderson taking over. To now have potentially 7 over his relatively short coaching rein is amazing.

That just reminded me: One of the things that really impressed me about Bo Nickal was his ability to go ahead and attack below the knee against the great champion from Cornell, Gabe Dean.
That was a great match for bo. I go back and watch that one a lot. Bo is fearless plain and simple

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT